Sup Forums I am seriously considering joining the marines after I finish my senior year...

Sup Forums I am seriously considering joining the marines after I finish my senior year. I don't want to spend the next 2 or so years working the same retail job and going to school for a degree and job i'm not even sure I want. Everyone I try to talk to about my decision, all they say is "don't join user you will die/get shot/waste your young adult hood" my brother is the only one who seems to support me and giving me helpful advice for a head start. Is there really any drawbacks to joining into the military? (besides getting killed of course but that can happen at any job.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tsfnuyyjaB0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>any drawbacks?

Of course.

You trade off your free will in terms of where you go and what you exactly do, for many significant durations of time (i.e. basic)

But for that tradeoff, you get

>pension
>benefits
>housing
>nutritional food
>exercise
>education
>employment

and much more.

Want serious advice? Fucking go in. Only reason I don't is the wife is dependent on me. She's clinically depressed and the doc said she wouldn't survive basic (without serious care from her parents, who have neither the time nor physical ability). I wish I could go, instead we do a business together and I give discounts to people in the military.

YES. DO THE MILITARY.

But the real question is, do you'll cowards even smoke crack?

You're literally below a leaf.

You don't get a pension unless you're in for like 20 years.

> marines

literally the worst funded service
every retired marine I've met is a fucking meathead

FFS join the air force at least you'll have your sanity intact and have actual decent equipment

>being this stupid

DO IT
OH MY FUCKING GOD LEAVE CIVILIAN LIFE IT'S NOT WORTH PARTICIPATING IN
GO JOIN THE MILITARY
THERE IS NOTHING FUCKING WORSE THAN REALIZING YEARS DOWN THE ROAD THAT YOU'RE FUCKING STUCK WORKING AS A PIZZA DELIVERY SLAVE TAKING OUT THE TRASH ALONE THAT HOLY SHIT YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST JOINED THE MILITARY INSTEAD OF SMOKING WEED AND DROPPING OUT OF COLLEGE BECAUSE COLLEGE IS JUST ONE BIG COMMUNIST PROPAGANDA PUNISHMENT FOR WEAKER MEN AND REGULAR WOMEN WHO DON'T JOIN THE MILITARY

Are you a nigger?
Marines don't like your kind, seriously.
Lower IQs harm the unit.

So? There's not a need to be private sector after 4, just because your GI gets approved at that point doesn't mean you gotta leave.

Tons of military bros, they have it fucking pz in the airforce.

YOU DON'T WANNA BE A FUCKING LOSER LIKE ME KID GO AND JOIN THE MILITARY

No, no, pic is not me. That is highly underrated rapper "viper the rapper". I am white.

If you are on Sup Forums and white, then I assume you probably have a relatively higher IQ. So take this advice: Don't join.

What you want to do is go to college FIRST, then AFTER you have a degree you can join as an officer. Pay is higher, easier to make it a career if you like it, and less chance of dying.

You also keep your cards in your hand that way, in case you find a civilian opportunity you really want in the meantime.

rotc seems dope as hell

>Lower IQs
>Marines don't like your kind
wew lad

Well, here's my experiance with it all

If you want any long term benefits you to do 20 years,
but you do get VA healthcare for life even with just 4 years*
*assuming honorable discharge

If you pick a job that is blowing up people don't expect anyone to hire you for that skill in the civilian world. Not even private military contractors.

Do consider the world we are heading into. Do you really honestly feel okay with shooting someone else?
>inb4 edgy cuck
Im only asking this because I have known several vets that suffered regret about what they did. Alcoholism and substance abuse are ugly things.

If you do go in learn how to cover your ass well when it comes to politics. Women wield an unholy and unjustly appropriated amount of power. All it takes to fuck your life up is a "lol I was totally crunk and pvt user raped me, so do I like get a medal or something? #StronkIndependentWoyman"
If something goes wrong on the job and someone above you wants to throw you under the bus, it will happen.

But these are things that kinda apply in any work place, its just that the military doesn't have a "ill fight these accusations in a court of law and be judged by a jury of my peers" option like civilian life does.

Don't worry too much about wasting your youth or trying to figure out what you want to do as a carrer, people change their minds about carrers at different points in life, it just happens.

I was an infantry marine for 4 years. Don't listen to any of these fucks who never served a day. If you go pog, person other than a grunt, you will be generally happier and may come out with a useful skill depending not the job you choose. I went infantry though. I was fucking miserable for 4 years hated my life at the time. But after I got out i realized the brotherhood I had, it matured me more than any one can understand unless they've done it. Toughened the shit out of me. I don't regret it anymore. If you want an easy life, comphy bed, good pay( depending on the job you choose) when you get out, go pog. If you want pride and real world experience, and hardness the rest of your life (you WILL hate your life while you're in) go grunts

The dumbest, most white trash person I've ever known joined the Marines and coolest, smartest guy I know joined the Navy. They both seem to like it for very different reasons.

Go ahead. It's better than growing old with regret

>If you want pride and real world experience, and hardness the rest of your life (you WILL hate your life while you're in) go grunts

I meant hardness as in, you will be hard. Nothing will ever suck as bad. Life will not hit you as hard as the grunts will, so you got a leg up on everyone else in the civilian world. Like I said I don't regret. BUT, it's peacetime corps right now. It will really fucking suck as a grunt in peactime

join the military but don't sign up for a combat arms job unless you plan on making the military a career

pick an mos that teaches you a marketable skill that translates well into the civilian world like IT, logistics, medicine...

Can confirm, USN FMF Corpsman here.
I'm like a Marine with actual training.

Not true, most all combat arms get out after 4 years. Non combat jobs stay in more often

Source: I was infantry

T.splish splash pool supervisor

LOL ok devil dolphin. I can take motrin and change my socks on my own

Join the airforce, or the navy. Easier boot camp, same benefits, more opportunity for training, never have to go on patrol in some 3rd world shithole and get IEDed' by some religious lunatic.

One guy I know went into the navy, working on the nuclear team for a carrier. Got two Ph.Ds, one in nuclear engineering, one in nuclear physics, works for the Atomic Energy Commission now. The Navy springboarded him into a field he knew nothing about, got him into it, and he ran with it.

The other guy joined the Navy, travled the world, saw some cool shit, took advantage of the GI bill when he got out, is doing fine working for a military contracter, got the job from an ex-Navy buddy.

The way I see it, you can join, do your minimum, and walk out no better than when you walked in, and face the same prospects than if you never joined. Or, you can make the most of their training and benefits and get set for life.

There are millions of service members who never handle a gun after boot camp. Be one of them.

army>marines
t.11b

I would do it, I tried to join the army but got rejected for respiratory issues. Don't go in for a long time though, just 2 or 3 years and if you like it you can get a new contract.

Both of these replies were really enlightening, I was actually planning on joining in on infantry and I know it won't be an easy task at all, truth be told I am not an extremely confident person but maybe the military will change that trait of mine, as for am I fine with killing someone, I know 100% I would feel bad, maybe some guilt, maybe some regret but if it is every a situation where its either me or him I can't hesitate to pull the trigger. The benefits of having a job right out of high school and knowing how your life will be played out for the next few years is a big reason I want to join up.

I was in the military for 4 years as well as an infantryman

Shit sucked and I hated every waking day but I dont regret it now because it hardened the fuck out of me and made me really resilient in life.

I bet you still haven't changed your socks.

Listen. I was a fat fuck Virgin bitch. I was a fucking pussy when I joined. The infantry literally beat that out of me. People tell me I carry myself in a weird way now. It's confidence. The prude of being a grunt, and brotherhood is unimaginable unless you've been there. I'm in my early 20s, have arthritis, need hearing aids, and my back is fucked and have a minor drin long problem. But I would go back and do it a over again in an instant. Like I said, it WILL FUCKING SUUUUUUCK!!! And pog will give you a useful skill, (even though I used my gi bill to get a skill when I got out and I keep the brotherhood and pride) it's up to you thougb

I joined right out of high school. Came from a very bad home and would have been homless otherwise. The military gave me a head start and steady pay that I saved. It helped me so much. I think you should do it. It will give you solid life experience and pride mo mater the job you choose. It will humble, strengthen, and make you stronger, and you will be better suited to face life's challenges. This is coming from a guy who hated it while he was in but saw the benefits after getting out

>I was a fat fuck

How were you able to join the marines if you were fat

I lost 20 pounds in the delayed entry program and another 20 in boot camp

did they put you on a diet when in basic too?

Oh there's a delayed entry program? How does it work, or was it just more time for you to loose fat before boot camp

So you weren't that fat a fuck.

No I lost enough weight before going that I was on normal rations. If you're too skin you you get double. No one was fat so I don't know if theres half rations. They won't let you ship off unless you meet a certain fitness standard. And if you're unfit like I was, if you work with your recruiter he will get you where you need to be

I don't really think you can "diet" when in basic - you need every calorie you can get, with how they push you. I think it's more, you're gonna burn WAY more calories every day than you could possibly eat.

From everything I've heard, you eat what you're served. Can you guys that served confirm?

Don't have a relationship when you join, my ex cheated at the first chance she got when I was at Gordon right after basic.

I was 6'2 240 when I signed you contract. But I busted my ass for a year with my recruiter to lose enough to ship off

whats the average amount of calories recruits burn in a day?

Airforce or navy. The best options. Dont fall for marine meme.

You can be into it for up to a year like I was cause I was still in highschool. You work out most everyday( not mandatory but I did cause I was fat) with a recruiter. Talk to a recruiter he can explain it

This right here, single is the way you go women will fuck you over

I am currently 6'2 and I fluctuate between 195-200 lbs would I need a certain weight before trying to get in?

i dunno but when I was in I would eat so much fucking food and never be full

Don't worry about diet. Can only speak for Marines but they will bust your fucking ass so much you will get in shape. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months

I've been thinking about joining the military, I want to do army military police or 11B. I actually want to be a cop so I know what I want but I'm 5'5 and I weigh 132. I'm 18 and I'm in college and idk man, I don't think it's for me.

I'm 30 and I always regret not joining.

Then again, I spoke to a dude that dropped bombs in the airforce and he kinda broke down crying when I asked about his service.

Jesus, he probably hated himself every time he had to do it. So sad.

When I went in max for 6'2 was 212. But you will need to meet a strength requirment. Pull ups and rumore and such.Talk to a recruiter, there is a weight/high requirement. They will let you know where you stand

I'll make sure to do that!

See my other posts, gotta decide for yourself man

I don't know. Things are heating up, politically. I think I agree with your family. Just think about it a little more, user. There are a lot of ways to get where you wanna go in life.

>do you'll cowards even smoke crack?
what does that even mean

I really enjoyed the Mps. I am 5'5".

(and retired police officer)

If you want it, you'll do it. Like all things in life.

>retired

How old are you

youtube.com/watch?v=tsfnuyyjaB0

I was an 0351 I shot rockets, and played with explosives. Was fun as fuck. You will be hated as an MP. Not joking everyone will hate you.

never be on the front lines

I know I've heard the stories, but it would give me experience in law enforcement

Do you want to stand around for days on end checking IDs and saluting cars for 4 years? Cause that's what you'll do.

But badge bunnies though ;)

BUT, all you gotta say is military though. Pluss it's not hard becoming a cop after you get out. A LOT of grunts do it. My one bro is NYPD now and a handful are coos elsewhere

I know it's very common for grunts to become a cop plus if you want to be NYPD your military service will substitute the college requirement.

Of course living in NYC is another story

Muhreen here

Do it OP. I'm a grunt and yeah it fucking blows sometimes but when you get out you'll get muh free college plus bennies. You also get to learn real man shit. I was honestly a degenerate pussy before I joined now I actually feel like I did something with my life. Do your four, get out, use the GI bill, don't listen to faggot ass civilians ITT or demotivated terminal lances who tell you the military sucks. It does suck but that's the point.

Just don't become a POG ass bitch

Hey you just gotta do you dude. Do whatever you think is right and do what's gonna lead you to succeed

I did 5 years as an FMF corpsman, loved it. One combat deployment to Afghanistan, after that I decided to get out and go to school. The GI Bill is fantastic and grad schools love veterans like no tomorrow.

My advice to you is to carefully research your options and go in with a clear end goal in mind. And for the love of god don't piss your time and money away drinking with your buddies all day. Take college classes while you're in, some services will pay for them without you using the GI Bill.

>everyone will hate you

This. EVERYBODY fucking hates MPs. Everytime they would speak in front of my battalion for a brief they would get literally booed. They say they do it because they want to become cops but from what I've been told you develop bad habits for civilian cops and they prefer grunts

Any ausfags got any experience with doing a trade in the army? Whats best so I don't get killed in WW3

seems like a lot of high achieving people had served in the marines. if you desire a high achieving adulthood go for it.

if you are just a bored faggot, do america a favor and go to community college

> it's another user joins the military to only end up homeless episode

Also to work off what he said, save your money. Don't buyou a car or a flat screen. Save everything. I drank my ass off and still got out with 16k on the bank when I had bros flat broke and I debt when they got out. DON'T BUY STUPID SHIT

+1, what is life like in the australian army? 24 yr old tradie considering joining for a change but want to be infantry

As a peace time infantry grunt, you won't find it as anything better than normal life. It'll be just a job where you're treated like shit until you decide to be finished once you get your GI.
After you leave you'll need to go through college and work at shitty jobs anyway, since nobody cares about infantry experience.

I don't think that it's a good idea to join the military because you don't like the alternative... Think and look for something that you actually like.

As somebody who's had family members join the only thing I would advise is that money management isn't something your going to be trained in.

I was deployed on Australia for 6 months and trained with the aussis the whole time. Those were some of the hardest funniest cunts I've ever met. Miss them. Do it aussie army is based bas fuck

Managing my money is a main priority of mine, my brother came home from the army after living in Germany for a year or two and he is currently living with us, jobless, uneducated, and all he does is play Xbox while trying to get a job at 26. It is sad but it is also a learning experience to see what really happens when you fuck up in your life and don't manage money right.

Grunts usually go for law enforcement, it's the best job right out of the military

Military is a completely honorable and essentially excellent decision. The only exception I would give is if you are smart enough to get into a top 50 university. If you can get in somewhere that good the extra time you spend dedicated to a company would do you better in the long run.

However if you can't get into that good of a school the GI Bill will help a shit ton with education and you will leave a much more mature and directed individual. In hindsight, I'm only a junior in college, I wish I either had pursued a military academy or done ROTC. The Marines and military aren't going to be getting much action so I wouldn't worry about the "you are gonna die meme".

Hope you pass
Dont they have a 50% pass rate for men and 3% for women?

You fuckers are rockstars compared to how everyone feels about admin.

Only if its chair force.

Infantry don't have it good unless you want SF like Marsoc or Recon.

If u want to join, just make sure it is not Infantry. Unless you care more about killing the bad guys and being tough shit rather then getting a on time paycheque worth the effort.
Honestly dont ask these poltards. /k/ actually has an enlistment general that updates decently. They have wayyyy better advice