Is pic related what really killed manufacturing jobs, rather than bad policy and trade?

Is pic related what really killed manufacturing jobs, rather than bad policy and trade?

It's what liberals keep telling me

Other urls found in this thread:

rt.com/news/256245-china-factory-robot-workforce/
autonews.com/article/20140127/OEM/301279990/the-end-of-the-jobs-bank-a-symbol-of-excess
nam.org/Newsroom/Top-20-Facts-About-Manufacturing/
cnbc.com/2016/10/19/small-cars-not-us-manufacturing-jobs-are-moving-to-mexico.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If that were true, why do these robots building cars go to Mexico instead of the US?

Robots are just cheaper and More efficient End of the story

Lowe corporate income tax rate, cheaper materials, cheaper expenses in general.

Same thing as happened to farming

supposedly its a combination of robots and prison labor

yes. not just manufacturing either, automation/mechanization of agriculture has resulted in a lot of poor, formerly rural blacks/hispanics moving to cities all across the country.

source: live in #1 ag producing county in the USA

Are Chinks and Mexicans 'robots' in your timeline?

Now ask yourself why we're perfectly happy to ship our designs for our robots to other countries.

The impending future will be more and more about intellectual property, and the US keeping it in the US will force other countries to actually do R&D rather than us doing the thinking for them.

That and Unions being out of control, true they did a lot for America and tried representating workers rights in the past. Now they're just as bad if not worse than the people they claim to be protecting workers from, at some point any business man will just say "why deal with these shitheads who keep demanding more and more for no real reason when I can get Juan to build this for pennies on the dollar?"

Prison labor? But US has highest incarceration rate int he world. We should be golden were you theory correct.

No.
Robots need to be highly specialized to be efficient, and they're still incredibly expensive to build and maintain.

They did cause a lot of people to lose their jobs in the auto industry, but those people were doing replaceable grunt work anyway. Those were the people doing the same spot weld on the same part of the car 8 hours a day.

Automation results in significantly higher production:employment ratios, but it's not the root cause of unemployment. There are always other grunt jobs, people just hate the idea that they have to switch to them.

they're going to look at Juan/Xiao/Prindeep's wages regardless user. Even non-union workers in the states are waaaaaay more expensive than foreigners.

Both are. Bad policy is just speeding up the process.

meanwhile in china

>Robots need to be highly specialized to be efficient
So far. This won't be the case forever.

It's the root cause of a decline in some industries
If we brought capitalist production methods and technology into North Korea they would stop being farmers

kern?

meanwhile in china

rt.com/news/256245-china-factory-robot-workforce/

Im on a cattle farm atm, its hard to automate my job. Cant wait to find something else soon though.

Fresno.

tho to be honest I think Tulare might have beat us this year. fucking dairymonkeys.

Bad policy and trade is what forced pic related.

Our prison labor mfgs street signs, license plates and other state consumables like medicaid eyewear.

Because you still need people. People are cheaper in mexico.

>USA engineer get six figures USD
>Mex engineer get 5-4 figures USD

>mex engineer.

Implying such a thing exists. You funny!

Unions were fine until Reagan decided to completely castrate them.

I feel that, livestock must suck.

I was thinking mainly about a lot (not all) of jobs in rowcrops, orchards, cotton, etc.

>USA engineer get six figures USD

You know how I can tell that you're still in college?

couldnt you get prisoners instead of the general population to make various products and save money on wages

>hard to automate my job
Synthetic meat, once it stops being expensive as fuck and they figure out how to put fat in it, will probably replace animal farming and ranching.

SO bad policy and trade deals? Chekkumatu.

Actually take a look at the now nonexistent jobs Bank.

autonews.com/article/20140127/OEM/301279990/the-end-of-the-jobs-bank-a-symbol-of-excess

They quite literally paid people, as part of the Union Contract to sit in a room and do nothing all day long. Some people spent almost their entire careers sitting on their ass watching TV.

No but we're a long ways off from general-purpose robotics.

Yes but that's always been the case of any industrialization. Think of all the jobs lost once we didn't need people to float logs downstream. Or to weave individual sheets of cloth.

Jobs are lost due to it but it's not the real cause of long term unemployment

they should have saved something like that for veterans

>Remember, its not automation, its not hispanics its always librulz fault.

Coming from the 'personal responsibility' side nonetheless, top kek

nam.org/Newsroom/Top-20-Facts-About-Manufacturing/

free trade

cnbc.com/2016/10/19/small-cars-not-us-manufacturing-jobs-are-moving-to-mexico.html

>created in 1984
That was after automatization had started to open up. A union's goal is to protect their workers, not turn a profit. Unfortunately sometimes shit like this happens. To me it's more of a sign that we have structural unemployment than the union is fucked up. In a way it's the same idea as UBI for better or worse.

The question is, what do we do with those excess workers?

>he thinks the nominal corporate rate is the effective corporate rate
Plenty of companies in the US pay zero taxes. The savings from moving overseas is usually marginal. I remember that the Carrier plan to move to Mexico would save like a quarter of a percent of their revenue. My father worked for a company that processed financial transactions and they outsourced programming jobs to the Philippines. They expected big savings but the programmers there are so terrible they hired about three times as many and barely broke even. The truth is companies will sell out their employees for pennies because they are completely soulless, amoral entities. This isn't a judgement of them, it's their prerogative, but to make effective policy you need to realize the benefits of outsourcing are small and hardly critical

>The question is, what do we do with those excess workers?

Personally I'd have preferred to see that money plowed into retraining programs to get those guys back into the productive workforce rather than simply sitting around.

We already tried that in the 90s though

To spread out the metal I guess.