Why do Americans non-ironically complain about failing middle school math in college?

Why do Americans non-ironically complain about failing middle school math in college?

Other urls found in this thread:

curious.kcrw.com/2013/05/how-algebra-ruined-my-chances-of-getting-a-college-education
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because 80% of us are legally retarded.
I've had to listen to stupid faggots complain about this shit for years.
t. Finished Calculus in high school.

I've been asking myself the same thing
Also
>never using algebra
what is paying bills?

Because only 60% of us are white, the standards have been lowered

I'm 30, with a college degree, and even though I learned up to Calc 2, I have literally never used anything beyond Geometry, and even then only rarely.

to be fair, i dont remember the last time i actually had to use algebra that wasnt for fun

Arithmetic is a meme, you don't need that shit in the real world.

it's amazing that schools teach you nothing about cooking, taxes, real estate, etc

but they push you to learn useless math
Why not teach us how to douch a one legged Korean female dwarf?...I might actually get some use out of that lesson

I wish people like this realized that computers were literally machines that do algebra, if i were to guess, a twitter post of this length would probably involve at least 10,000 register movements and at least 1000 calculations.

>Because 80% of us are legally retarded.

indeed

-t. the 80%

What's your expertise, user?

Algebra is an arabic word. Is the author islamophobe?

>Math majors btfo

>algebraic topology proven to be absolutely useless

>how will algebraists recover from this

>be me
>get admitted to university even though i had no formal prior education
>study medical engineering
>best in class in calculus, linear algebra, statistics and physics/mechanics
>get degree
>use calculus every day as part of my work
yeah, if you can't even into algebra, you are just plain fucking stupid.

What kind of quantum bills are you paying?

>-t. the 80%
t. someone thats never did he own finances.

If you can't pass an algebra class then you sure as shit aren't smart enough to get a college degree.

>Uust used finite number arithmetic

Gee, y'think?

I use arithmetic and algebra on a daily basis also if you can't understand that you're a legit retard

IT security.

You'd be amazed how little math there is to do.

See, people like this don't get it.
There needs to be one guy who knows how to do it in order to build a machine that does it, and then literally no one else needs to know.

Computers are actually a good example, there's literally hundreds of algorithms happening right now between you and me making these posts, from security algorithms to pathing and all that.

Almost no one knows how it works, but it still does anyway, and they don't need to. Even the leading computer experts in the world only understand a very tiny fraction of the whole thing.

That's why it's silly to require that knowledge of everyone.

I made a spread sheet to calculate all my expenses vs my estimated income taking into account taxes, 401k, etc. Calculate net gain for the month. I then have a list of everything i can write off as deductions for when i do my taxes.
>tfw financially jewish

>algebra
>bills

The fuck kind of bills are you getting?

tfw comcast sends you a bill for (your bill)^2+40000=0

whoops should be -40000

I have the same but it's Excel doing the thinking for me.

>doesnt get algebra
>consider himself bright
Only burger could come up with this, in every other and sane country math is a queen in science but in US of A math is used only to calculate discounts and price of burgers.

this infuriates me

Most people will never use anything beyond basic algebra in their adult lives, but it still needs to be taught in schools so that people have a good foundation by which to enter STEM fields once they get to college. Algebra might not be useful to you, but it was useful for all the kids who majored in pretty much anything technical.

I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids math desu, it forces them to develop their abstract reasoning skills

Because the average college student has no logical capacity

Well my point was algebra is involved. Even food shopping, it's loosely involved
"hmm i can get 2 boxes of cereal for $5.. "
2x = 5
x= 2.5
"..thats $2.50 each! "

Because it literally is useless unless you're going into a STEM field.

The guy never said algebra or math wasn't important. People are well aware of the role of scientists and engineers. Hes just stating that it shouldn't be a requirement for majors that don't utilize it in their field.

you do know square root from x^2 can be both negative and positive
(-2)^2 = 4
I hope you know that

While I don't speak for the idiots that don't care about school or refuse to study, some people may have a hard time with math despite putting in as much or even more effort in learning the subjects.

Anecdote: In high school I had a difficult time with math after geometry (I took algebra in middle school the year before, and algebra 2/trig followed geometry). I had tutors, spent the most time on the homework for math, and wrote down all the notes I could, yet I still had to take a remedial Algebra 2 course in the summer following the last semester. Oddly enough, because we spent roughly 7 hours per day, per "unit" in the remedial course, I was able to get a 100 average from the daily quizzes and skip out on the exam at the end. I later attempted to take a college-credit calc course the following year but due to the pacing I bumped down to the high school calc course.

So I would guess that many honest students that have an issue with math don't have enough volume or can't catch up with the pacing of the subject. Otherwise, they would get really high marks.

this

>Didn't pay attention to math classes.
>Somehow end up getting D- in every math class I ever had, and was still able to graduate.

I'm pretty retarded.

>cooking
you mean doing things like fractions and measurements, multiplying portions, setting a timer, adding or removing time or degrees from an appliance don't use any math?
>taxes
percentages, operations on sometimes large numbers, decimals, logic, converting word problems into quantifiable math
>real estate
dealing with a mortgage, paying bills, paying for real estate, earning money on rentals, buying low and selling high, tracking the prices of your property and nearby property

All of these things use the math you learn in school

Algebra is solving for x
So if you've got biweekly paychecks and variously monthly bills and want to make sure you have savings and spending money, yu use algebra

> tfw you know how a good 80% of it works
> tfw have gf

yeah but bills can't be negative you sperg child

Im legit math retarded..

it feels bad

Thats just utter retarded. That field is quite complex. It demands insane amout of algebra and there might be place for improvement (math wise).
you are litteraly learning basic stuff on collage undergrad studies. Its nothing. Stop whining and do the math.

>Algebra is not considered basic math

t. not doing IT

In your limited mind yes.
I really doubt you even understand what a bill is.
When you are doing accounting can bill be negative? What is active what is passive?
What is tax return?

If you can't pass that sorry excuse for math that is "College Algebra" you are not, as this person puts it, "bright".

pic related

You dont become a millionaire by not naming every dollar.

t. Underage whose never actually paid a bill

A negative on a bill is called a credit i.e. a refund

It really bothers me. Calculus for the most part is memorizing 5 equations to do differentials and just learning which rule applies when doing integrals. None of it is difficult. Its slightly more advanced algebra. Especially since most people don't even get tested on a lot of the theory and proofs.

Why do people find calculus hard or even algebra hard? Seriously. I've had conversations where dudes have explained how difficult it is to do when you place an x. Literally. Can someone explain this to me. I'm not that smart. Why do people find it difficult?

but algebra is not complex at all, its like baby math. I can understand having trouble in calculus but algebra or trig?

Retard wagecuck/continuing education student here. Finished College Algebra, did well. Going to try to get all the way through Calculus.

It is my responsibility to improve myself any way I can in order to better provide for my family. I would also like to help my child with math as she gets older. Niggers and libcucks always blame others for their failures and the failures they have pushed on society.

I failed 1/3 (the maximum amount) of high school basic math courses, and got the lowest passing grade from the rest. Now I'm in law school and I also fluently speak five languages.

Not everyone is a math person. I'm linguistically more talented and can easily memorize things. But I guess I'm dumber than your average white trash plumber because I can't understand numbers.

Finland is smart

You probably had bad teachers desu

ITT:
stop the cucks on sociology/psychology/gender/equality/bullshit/history/... studies

hi left leaning parasites

What language do you think in?

It's even worse over here. People wear their failure in maths as a badge of honour and it's not just the dregs of society that never amount to anything, it's people in all walks of life. Professionals that say 'oh I'm bad at maths' and laugh it off as if it's just something you have a natural aptitude for. If someone said they couldn't read or write you would laugh or feel quietly embarrassed on their behalf, but say you can't do simple maths and people agree.

Makes me wonder if they having the best colleges is a meme, I have meet some dumb Americans in my field. They output more research than most countries in the world though.

naaa mate. math isn't for everybody.
The problem is most population cannot even sit 20 mins with math book and they claim math isn't for me.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But one thing is for certan
most of those people didn't even try hard enough.

Finnish or English, it depends. I can also speak Swedish, French and Russian.

No, I'm just mathematically retarded. My dad's an engineer and he spent countless hours trying to teach me, but I just didn't understand. I excelled in everything that didn't involve numbers, but math was just impossible for me. I still can't do basic calculations without using my fingers.

Yeah I'm dumb as fuck; I blame the Jew food pyramid with carbs as the largest and most important group with fats/oils as something to avoid.

That being said, the only math I did better at than algebra was geometry. It's basic fucking logic and reasoning .. no wonder these people turn into SJWs and cucks.

>cooking
Just eat raw meat like animals do
>taxes
Don't work so you don't have to pay taxes
>real estate
Live in the woods

Language and math are the same. If you can be good at one you can be good at the other. It may just be the method he is trying to use to teach you.

Because they never get to calculus, they can never comprehend the constant change in the world around them.

Because they never learn algebra, they cannot comprehend how to harness and discover the unknown.

Because they never learn geometry, they can never get straight, and thus must resort to homosexuality and gender identity to bring pity and pride to their condition.

Because they do not know these things, they are the intellectual untermensch, damned to serve the ubermensch who do know of such things.

>But I guess I'm dumber than your average white trash plumber because I can't understand numbers.
Yes. You are. There's no escaping this, no matter what excuses and anti-white memes you throw out.

I said algebra was useless when I was a kid too, but after growing up I realized it's somewhat valuable since it's not complicated at all. You're using a letter to replace an unknown value. You may not actually write out algebra often, but the problem solving aspect of it is actually useful.

Also, algebra isn't even hard. It blew my mind when we were learning it in grade 7/8 that people had a hard time with it. I felt like everyone was retarded except for me. It's literally just replacing a blank space with a letter on the most basic level.

t. poker player who realizes how important math is on a day to day basis

At least in America, in Finland you do have other means of living, but here, a common core is applied, whether or not it implodes its host is beyond the care of the state or its pets.

I was bad at maths till I got my shit together and started investing time into it, then the whole thing made sense and it was kind of beautiful to be honest, made me actually want to study maths or physics, people even asked what the fuck happened to me. I went for computer science in the end anyway but took a math heavy major (graphics)

Kek

Good read user. Thanks

Whites don't do math or engineering. It's an Asian endeavor

math starts after you forget numbers mate.
probability theory, set theory, stohastics, ....
so on and so on.
high school math is mostly shit.
i was bad at high school math.

t. math major

Depends on what? The concept of what you are thinking of can only come from one language usually your mother language. I saw a video about this on the Ideas Channel on YouTube that people who speak many languages are actually not as smart as Society thinks they are. And really being multi lingual is like having lots of "Slang" words for the same concept in your mind. I myslef am bilingual in English and Punjabi, English is my mother tongue and apart from the cultural insight speaking Punjabi gives me i often percieve using the words ams language in the same way i would as using English slang terms for the same concept. I have also been attempting to learn some Hebrew recently and would concede learning ancient Symbolic non Alphabetic based languages takes some intelligence.

I can believe not needing math for IT, but for computer science, you definitely need math.

wait what
I learned Algebra in high school
Still don't understand any of it
kek

My guess: they are spoiled by the government, so they've gotten used to getting shit from the government every time they complain and because of that they think that if they complain that makes them immediately right.

I'm a mechanic on cnc machines and we use algebra every single day.

>feed rate (inches per minutes)
>chip load per tooth
>revolutions per minute
>surface feet per minute

America has been actively working to make our children stupid. Want to make yourself rage? Read up on examples of common core.

but then it wouldnt be a bill, it would be a refund.

Because math is racist invention of white male bigots. Amurrica doesn't need math, it should be banned ASAP.

in the US because of H1Bs.

If you can't understand common core, you are literally fucking retarded.

Bullshit, I'm a teacher in a mostly hispanic district, and most boys do just fine at math, regardless of ethnicity.

Hell, the people clamoring for my HS to offer Calculus again are the hispanic boys who take my engineering classes and want an edge on the foreign competition.

Math - noun
an ancient Hebrew language used to obtain shekels.

Math follows pre-determined rules, its easy as fuck. You just have to find a way to explain those rules to yourself.
Think of them as laws and maybe they will open to you.

I'm a Computer Science major and I don't understand any math beyond like arithmetic. I somehow passed Calculus and the other classes they make you take but pretty much through memorising the formulas and brown-nosing the professor into giving me extra credit like homework (which I just ran through Wolfram to get As on.) Can confirm you do not need to know math to be a computer scientist.

Not trying to brag here like "LOOK HOW DUMB I AM, LOL!" I just pretty much slept through math in middle and high school and now I can never grasp any math concepts that they teach in college.

That's fine, actually. Basic computations can take time, and it's nice if you know how to do them in your head, but what REALLY matters is that you understand the logic and rules that let you manipulate and change statements without affecting truthfulness.

Or you could just divide 5 by 2.

>Americans
>Niggers living inside the boarders of America
Learn the difference.

Literal niggers can speak 5 languages, what's your point, mongol?

>computer science
>doesn't understand the concept of variables

You aren't going to make it

>t. Finished Calculus in high school.

Is that a big deal now? I graduated HS about ten years ago and everyone minus the "slow" kids took calc.

You sure do web dev or sysadmin. Pleb tier.

>computer scientist
>doesn't use discrete mathematics

Sure m8

If the course is going to be taught to a high standard then it will involve mathematics. Even nonsense like gender studies should require statistics and calculus. Of course it doesn't but then again that says more about the teaching staff than the field.

>Can confirm you do not need to know math to be a computer scientist
You are not "computer scientist", you are some php monkey.
Computer science is not same thing as software engineering, and if you don't understand type theory (no, types in programming languages are not type theory), higher-order logic, non-regular formal grammars and so on you simply can't even understand what's modern CS is all about.

>who even needs maths???

t. people who need maths the most

> gender studies
> statistics
If you ever try to correctly apply statistics to gender studies, you will be burned alive by enraged progressives.

I have always believed that CS courses need to be fragmented (some colleges do). So people don't have to deal with crybabies that want to do webpages but don't like doing integrals.

Same here. High school maths is baby stuff and I can't understand why people would have a problem with it.
>omg pythagoras' theorem is soooo hard!

Guys how do I get a scholarship in the USA?

Indeed.

>look for source of comment
>curious.kcrw.com/2013/05/how-algebra-ruined-my-chances-of-getting-a-college-education
>filled with literal retards who keep saying they failed algebra MULTIPLE times in college

What the fuck is wrong with you westerners?