Common core

>common core

laughing at you

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/why-55515-is-wrong-under-the-common-core-2015-10?IR=T
patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/10/21/why-would-a-math-teacher-punish-a-child-for-saying-5-x-3-15/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
youtube.com/watch?v=N-7tcTIrers
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3+3+3+3+3=5+5+5
youtube.com/watch?v=Vetg7vWitTU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't understand this thread
That is what multiplication is

I'm honest to god, on a 4th grade level when it comes to math

I was sent to so many special ed classes

wat
is this a trick question?
should it be 3+3+3+3+3=15?

this is how I was taught how it works after I learned how to do it

that is literally how it works
fuck off abbo

sage

It literally says
>five times three
not three times five
And five times three is 3+3+3+3+3, you dumb fucks.

Answering 5 + 5 +5 would be marked incorrectly in your education system

How does it feel to have a broken education system?

businessinsider.com/why-55515-is-wrong-under-the-common-core-2015-10?IR=T

To be quite honest this isn't too horrible an idea if it's taken to logical conclusions.

Say you're dong 526x27, doing math compartmentalized like this is an ok idea. It's retarded at this low times table, but to be quite honest we have calculators anyways.

Now the rest of common core is truly shit, and this is coming from a guy who's doing a teaching certification. (TESL)

The fuck am I looking at
Graduated in 2012 , has it gotten even more ridiculous since ?
The most I remember was multiplication (fuck you, was a special ed tard) was taught in some odd roundabout way I haven't seen before

It's depressing at MATH is valued more I'm school than a subject like History.

God damn it I wish we could go back

I think that was what the union member government employee was told to look for, yes.

either way you do it it works just fine

you don't have to get all autistic about it.

>The Commutative Property of Multiplication. The commutative property of multiplication states that two numbers can be multiplied in either order.

Holy hell I fucked that sentence up

Multiplication is logically commutative you sub-120-IQ pleb. Same as addition.

5 x 3 is literally the same exact thing as 3 x 5.

but 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 5 + 5 + 5

If you struggle with analog clocks, are always either really late or really early and find it very difficult to tell how much time has paeed eg you don't know whether it's been 20 minutes or two hours you might have dyscalculia. I was only diagnosed like 2 years ago but it explains so much shit.

>No goy, you don't understand, Common Core pushes our students to do better!

>common core was literally made just so white parents could not help their children with homework because it gave black kids a disadvantage since they have no parents to teach them
My country is in an economical crisis and it was already a shithole before it, but goddamn at least the one thing i can feel superior over you dumb americans is that we dont purposely try to teach kids math the wrong way for sjw bullshit, what the fuck america?

So it's 555. Big deal. Pretty close. And it's all about rounding now, and getting close.

THE
ANSWER
IS
THE
FUCKING
SAME
YOU HUGE HOMOSEXUAL

i'm just here to say that common core was a great idea in the beginning, but has been poorly implemented

this is inefficient as fuck
also only the 15 itself matters, you shouldn't even convert the multiplication to a summation, this only promotes retardation

What's wrong with this

>american math
my country's fucked but this is gold, man

yes 5+5+5 and 3x5 is the same, we learned that in school so what?

how the fuck is that going to help with calculus and matrices?

America is a failed experiment.

I look forward to countries like Sweden dropping down to our levels from taking in mud.

At least I won't have to worry about cheap graduates replacing my job in 20 years.

read

srsly?..lmao

you have to go back

Apparently so. Since this fucking moron doesn't know 3 groups of 5 and 5 groups of three both contain the same number of items.

oh my god that is literally what multiplication is, short hand for adding.
actually it would most correctly look like this:
>(1+1+1+1+1) + (1+1+1+1+1) + (1+1+1+1+1) = 15

Since all math is adding 1 or adding negative 1

Yes, because you will be facing even cheaper AI that absolutely will take yer juuuuub.

just like feminist snowplow right?

The correct answer is 20, goy. Always round up.

maybe you're just really really stupid though

>Since all math is adding 1 or adding negative 1
What about rational/irrational numbrs? You know.. those with a dot.

Idk if I'm on that level, but I do get time wrong alot. Like, if someone asked me what time has passed since *** I usually tell them the wrong answer, like I pass time weird but maybe not to the extreme you said.

But when it comes to basic (i mean absolute basic math) my mind goes blank, I'm not a retard like my teachers make me out to be, because I'm an A when it comes to English, History and that sort of things but Math I just can't work out basic questions. Always been a problem of mine. Just sucks being an adult, and having the math skills of a small kid :/

"Five, times three" or "five times three"?

Anyway, this argument is retarded because 5+5+5 = 15 = 3+3+3+3

Equality means that the two variants are exactly equal and can be substituted for each other without exception. Pretending that 5+5+5 is wrong while 3+3+3+3 is right is just beyond retarded. If they wanted your answer, then they should write a proper question, such as:

"How would you write down an addition that is composed of five groups of three in the Hindu-Arabic number system?"

should be five three's not three fives...
Old school said it didn't matter, apparently it does, to common core...
Think it's about not confusing nigs who are low IQ but has to get better results not to prove nigger culture is inferior or some shit like that.
What you get for electing a half nigger twice I guess...

>this only promotes retardation
that's the point

it's literally designed for retarded nogs

SO WHATS THE FUCKING ANSWER ?
REEEEEEEEEE

You have to break down the 3s into 2+1. Then break up the 2 into 1+1.

That should be 3+3+3+3+3 respectively, sorry

patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/10/21/why-would-a-math-teacher-punish-a-child-for-saying-5-x-3-15/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
>kids are too retarded to understand the order of columns and rows with matrices so we need to teach them arbitrary multiplication rules

>Since all math is adding 1 or adding negative 1
>American education

>5 x 3
1) 5x3 = 3x5 (Don't tell me this bullshit system denies that)
2) 3 x 5 = 5 + 5 + 5 = 15
3) 5 x 3 = 15

not sure, but this video does a pretty good job at explaining it.

youtube.com/watch?v=N-7tcTIrers

Decimalization is for retards who can't into fractions.

Also, you should know irrational numbers cannot be displayed as decimals, as the digits carry on into infinity. Nor can they be expressed as fractions, as the numerator and denominator approach infinity as accuracy increases.

So what will happen if I just put 15 as an answer?

What if you ask: 2000 x 2000 =
Are we trying to teach maths, or handwriting?
I'm glad my kid knows math is of the devil.

what the fuck am I doing her?
I hate this
this is nothing to even talk about
late

what about indices and algebra?
would you have to write
5x^3
as
((x+x+x+x+x) * (x+x+x+x+x)) * (x+x+x+x+x) = 125x
to get the marks?

First think they teach you about moltiplications in elementary school is that the order doesn t matter

What the fuck is this bullshit? Since when math teachers care about which way you reached your answer as long as you can clearly show how you did it?

Yes doing it through some backwards means can shear off some points but in this case it' fucking multiplication. The fuck they want?

Yeah but you won't get the marks unless you write '27' 526 times

I got a perfect score on my exit math exam, not even a "Good job" from my cunt of an AP math teacher.

Anyways, US education is a joke

>maths is too hard for niggers
>how do we make sure nobody learns it?

>American education
i dont see your flag anywhere beyond the atmoshpere

What does common core calculus look like?
Can kids sue the school for carpal tunnel for having to write out all of this ridiculous shit?

>the union member government employee
kek, so it's the same in every fucking country?

Just a friendly reminder that Drumpf is pro common core while Hilldawg wasn't. Good job.

Its suppose to counter cheating on tests, I believe. Much harder for younglings to write down a full page of answers in *** amount of time, so it trains them to do it themselves. Also I guess it helps them later in life with other various reasons

Little do teachers know, not every kid is a fucking math genius

Seriously fuck math, its nigger tier

>burger education

You dense motherfucker.

Example 8X5 would be 8+8+8+8+8=40 by your logic (not wrong)

I would rather swap that shit around and count fives. 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5=40

How about 9.81 x 10. I bet you would count those 9.81 like a nigger rather than shifting the decimal.

Wow. I think that is the best summary of Common Core I've ever read.

5x5=25 3x5=?
5x4=20 3x4=12
5x3=? 3x3=9
5x2=10 3x2=6
5x1=5 3x1=3

25+20+10+5+12+9+6+3=90

90/5=45
90/3=30
45-30=15

The answer is 15.

slightly more retarded than

>american date format
>american measurements

You'd get no marks for that, 5x^3=/=125x. You've done (5^3)x to get that. But ((x+x+x+x+x) * (x+x+x+x+x)) * (x+x+x+x+x)=(5x)^3=125x^3=/=125x=/=5x^3 So your working is also nonsense.

>there are people out there who may actually believe this

you'd get marked off for not showing your work lmao.

I can't believe you have to "show your work" in a very specific way for BASIC multiplication.

>being this butthurt
multiplication is literally the least important math skill. Just use a calculator you fuckheads. I haven't multiplied anything bigger than single digits since I was 10, and I've been through advanced fluid dynamics.

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3+3+3+3+3=5+5+5

Back in the 1960s the liberals tried to shove this shit down our throats. They called it "New Math" and it was shit.

They're baaaaack.
youtube.com/watch?v=Vetg7vWitTU

Can't disagree with you there Hans.

kek
answer is the same, but condition is not

>If they wanted your answer, then they should write a proper question, such as:
correct
Its a deliberate trap meant to increase frustration and confusion with math

You all are missing the point entirely.

"5+5+5=15" is wrong because this problem is trying to teach how the placement of each integer matters in reading a problem.

However, math can be directly translated into English, and this problem correctly would be read as "Five multiply Three" =+= "Five multiplies Three". Five is a reactant and Three is a reactor. Three is gaining the property of Five in terms of multiplication, which is the act of magnifying a variable by a set degree. Quite literally, three is being magnified by five; rewritten and added to an overall sum five times.

Therefore, "3+3+3+3+3" is the correct answer. It's about the underlying logic of the equation, not necessarily coming up with the correct answer. This underlying logic is indefinitely more valuable in the long-run because it teaches children the process in which to solve problems of other natures and how to properly process information. "5+5+5" indeed equates to "3+3+3+3+3", but "5+5+5" is a commutative simplification of "3+3+3+3+3" that is indirectly correlated with the logic of the written equation. It's a non-occam solution, and what this problem is trying to teach is the fundamentals of occam-oriented problem solving and understanding, not just getting things right. Memorization kills intellectualism.

t. Took remedial Algebra 2 in High School

Go look it up. He just selected some pro common core bitch as secretary of education. Have fun.

gee its almost as if they wrote how three fives = 15

hurrrrr

Literally the other way around

I love it when our satellite 'countries' try and criticize some aspect of American society. Doesn't matter. The sky is green, if we say it is.

Showing your calculation proves understanding rather than just shitting out an answer. Common core is retarded as fuck and breaking critical thinking

For u

5 x 3
5 times 3
5 3 times
5 + 5 + 5

This shit is fucking retarded.

5x3 is 15 whichever way you look at it, and if you count 5+5+5 as wrong you should be shot.

A kid that understands the commutative property of the equation is much better off than a kid who tries to solve it like a fucking mindless drone.

Fucking lol. I can't believe people are defending the retardation in OP.

>Select the images with pizza
kek

>sub 120-IQ pleb
>Falls for the shittiest bait ever made
Autists, all of you.
You've fallen for the worst shitpost ever made.

Americans cannot be this dumb. Please magic emu, tell me this isn't true.

Pro way of doing multiplication is to memorize all of the squares and then just add or subtract. That's how I learned and it has served me well. So for 5x7 I would say 5 squared is 25 plus 2 5s is 35. Better than memorizing all of the tables like a nerd and faster than doing the common core addition bullshit. Anyway they should stop bothering with the longhand stuff and proceed under the assumption that people will always have a calculator oparound for simpl arithmetic.

>It's about the underlying logic of the equation, not necessarily coming up with the correct answer. This underlying logic is indefinitely more valuable in the long-run

Denmark being in the middle of Canada, Australia, Germany, France and Sweden is rather concerning.

Please be fake.
I am getting so angry right now.
Nothing triggers me as much as condescending teachers, especially when they're wrong.

If the value of x is 1, this is a correct anwer. Otherwise, it's wrong.

so is there a rule, that when the question involves many digits(999 x 888 =) you can just give the answer?
Seriously asking.

What? That's wild speculation from your stupid pozzed news sites