Is Sup Forums's philosophy stoicism ?

Is Sup Forums's philosophy stoicism ?

Philosophy undergrad here.
My philosophy - that is, philosophical tradition in which I aspire to publish texts - is contemporary analytic philosophy, with inspirations from Platonism, Stoicism, and classical political thought of Machiavelli, Hobbes, Burke and Mill.

>from Platonism, Stoicism, and classical political thought of Machiavelli, Hobbes, Burke and Mill.
I only read Machiavelli and i plan to start reading marcus aurelius meditations, what am i in for ?

bump

bump

>Marcus Aurelius
>Humble but pretty based emperor
>somehow lets his retard son inherit empire
what was his endgame

Just got Meditations and Julius Evolas Ride The Tiger today for Christmas.... looking forward to them both.

very valuable lessons. they should make all kids read Epictetus, Seneca and/or Marcus Aurelius in school. Stoicism is the most accessible philosophy from a practical standpoint

Bump

Punished Commodus
>Has a distant father
>Turns into entitled narcissist who began the destruction of Rome

Was Marcus our guy?

No, it's ignominy.

this philosphy is bullshit and attempts to act like stress and anxiety can just be wished away

besides, some stress and anxiety are good and can give a fire to your soul. what a dreadful existence acting like you're some cool unfeeling robot. I feel like thats what i wanted people to think of me when i was a teenager.

The meditations is very align with stoicism in that the universe is entirely rational, and since what is good is what is rational, it should follow that you should not worry about what happens.

Stoicism to me is all about using reason to realize that there is no point in putting yourself through anguish. Let life be what it is.

Stoicism is essentially the traditional man's philosophy. But enduring pain doesn't mean purposefully making stupid decisions to give yourself unnecessary pain. That would be masochism.

Naw nigga we /cynicism/

is there some philosophy that revolves around not ignoring strong emotions, but rather channelling them? like using anger and stress as fuel?

Sith.

nigga we /dialectical/ around here

shouldn't one put themselves through pain to accomplish things?

>using anger and stress as fuel?
i did that after my parents died and it burned me out. No matter how much i tried to convince myself that the hate i felt was good, at the end of the day i was angry all the time and it was messing with my decisions. Stoicism isn't about ignoring your feelings, its about making the rational decision.
isn't that part of being stoicism ?
isn't that the only way to accomplish things?

Well only if it is for the good.
They believed that it is better to suffer than rather than doing evil. Again they belived that virtue was hand in hand the same with philosophy or reason in a sense. So they belived in working through pain, but only if it is for doing good because that will align you with the greater good, which in the long run matters the most out of all things.

fucking shit right on the money
though I don't know mill. Post some of his OC.

Platonism is the true red pill, The Republic should be required reading for everyone here.

What do you think about black swan by taleb if you have read it and his dissing of Plato

Read might is right by raglan readbeard

what if right is actually might?

Modern philosophy sucks.

Stoicism and Aristotelianism are among the best classical philosophies IMO.

It's alright. Very silly ideas concerning suicide, but other than that it'a about as close as you can come to the Truth without converting to Christianity (which is not very close at all).

Lots of boredom. Meditations is best consumed in small doses.

>philosophy sucks
ftfy

my philosophy is ooga booga bix nood

Ok. We Sith now. For the Empire.

Close as you can come to truth without converting to Christianity which is not close either....what do you mean by this?

He lost like 10 childs in infancy, and that seriously hurt him. Guuess he was jsut happy Comodus survived, and was too distant due to being emperor to pass on his good teachings.

That's the sad thing about the nerva -Antonine dynasty, they were the best emperor because they each adopted good individuals. Then Aurelius was too nice to see that his son was a dipshit

This.

It's the true way of the red-pill.

A mix of cynicism and stoicism IMO is the ideal way of man. One has an obligation to doubt a proclamation until it is proven through reason and objective agreement among peers.

Can you unpack that thought for me?

I kind of agree when I think about it a little bit.

Though it's quite believable that Diogenes actually didn't find anything worthwhile from that era, especially after Socrates was BTFO by the majority.
These days? Maybe it could be different.

I think therefore I exist is my philosophy

the masculine form of that phrase roughly translates to "muh dick"

Any advice on good reads ?