What if we are actually dead and in hell, being punished for our former lives? There is surely far too much suffering...

What if we are actually dead and in hell, being punished for our former lives? There is surely far too much suffering, fear, and uncertainty for this world to be the creation of a benevolent god.

Although, did god also create hell?

>What if we are actually dead and in hell, being punished for our former lives?

nice numerals, but what is the point of being punished when we don't remember why are we being punished to begin with. It seems like a empty gesture.

it's not like someone that threatens to send you to eternal damnation for yelling his name when you stub your toe is a particularly rational being

Well here's what I was thinking:
It is every individual's search for meaning of life that is the primary sort of suffering inflicted. Because everyone is suffering together, we don't really know how miserable we actually are. If we succeed in reaching the epiphany that the purpose of life is to be good and moral people, then we are reincarnated as something better. If we sin, we become niggers.

ITT: several people just took their first philosophy class

last words gave me chuckle, thank you user

Glad you liked it, merry christmas by the way.

If I didn't know any better I'd almost think there wasn't a benevolent sky daddy.

Its what my grandmother said she believed after my uncle died. And then when my counsin died. And when my grandfather died.

doesnt seem like to far a stretch of the spooks

God is benevolent. Evil is a necessity. Without evil you wouldn't be able to chose good.
We are limited creatures and we will never be able to fully grasp the mind of God.
He gave us free will so we could choose him. It's quite simple.

thanks, merry Christmas to you too user

Also, nice digits

still believing in the semetic heaven/hell bullshit. I'm Armenian and we were the first Christian nation but I gave up on that crap a long time ago. No wonder Europeans are such cucks nowadays

move here and you will know what hell is

In this thread OP makes believe that he came up with Gnostic Christianity.

>What if we are actually dead and in hell

This has been my assumption for years.

I think bhagavad Gita explains a lot.
There is no good and evil, there are only actions and their results, suffering is result of attachments, what you call evil is result of ignorance and unwillingness to pursuit the Truth

That must be so enlightening to a parent who has lost a child.

"Hey man, there is no evil, only ignorance and attachment."

It's just one of those things you can say that will make you sound smart to other retards who don't examine ideas particularly closely before they accept them as "probably" true.

I believe our world is a mix of heaven and hell. Those who get to enjoy life at its fullest, Money,love, success, are in heaven.

Those who suffer are in hell.

tfw hell is Sup Forums

Stop being such a pussy.

The only options left for a parent that lost a child is to deal with it and go further with life, in this case suffering is as I said result of attachment to the child, we will all die and everything that we hold dear will be taken away from us anyway, it's good to enjoy things when they are here but we have to be aware that nothing will last forever in this world and the moment will come when we will be forced to let go.

btw. we are not even wired to enjoy various things with same intensity throughout time, sex for example is something that is really gets boring with time, clinging to it create emptiness, same with almost everything

There is no fiery hell. Hades and Sheol are the common grave of mankind. There is no suffering there.
(Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6) 5For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. 6Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun.
Death is a state of nonexistance. We don't have to worry about eternal suffering.

> parents who lost a child, they must feel so bad :(
shouldn't they move on instead of wallowing in self pity? the child's dead, it sucks, but the parents themselves are still alive.

people keep hanging on to their past for no good reason. eventually the past becomes an excuse for shitty behavior, ask any fucking druggie and they'll give you a sob story about how their childhood was shit and that's why they absolutely have to use drugs

I lost my child and feel no pain, ama

good for you leafbro, some people just have it easier with letting go, enjoy your enlightened perspective

I'll actualy tl;dr it because i have to go to christmas dinner.

Everyone dies. There is no escaping this fact - even with the help of technology, the natural order of things is for everything to die. Once you learn to accept that, the loss will never fallow you. I dumped all my initial sadness into an MMO i was playing, and than never logged in again, Locking up those emotions. Every time i think about the game i get sad, but when i think about my child, i do not.

what the fuck

nice technique