Catholic general

Merry Christmas and good tidings.

I'm not the best catholic out there, but I thought it'd be nice to have a Catholic general. As always, Orthodox bros are welcome. I also extend a merry christmas to all Christians out there. Now, on to my complaining.
>be me
>live in a big city and I'm fortunate enough to go to Latin Tridentine mass
>out in the country visiting family
>it's a Protestant stronghold
>local catholic church's service is so protostent-like it's almost offensive

No offense to protestants, but I feel that mass should be mass. Anyone else have experience with this type of parish?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nA7C815I104
youtube.com/watch?v=vbUXbMn2zfc
youtube.com/watch?v=IK6wJUNirbs
youtube.com/watch?v=qx1s_3CF07k
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mor7syiTSE
youtube.com/watch?v=imEvd1ck4fs
youtube.com/watch?v=7DRketdk07o
youtube.com/watch?v=L3rT8YVJERk
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wkOO_MEA
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
youtube.com/watch?v=4fv14RFfRLA
youtube.com/watch?v=bchmhIdZgys
youtube.com/watch?v=KI7sOZQaSkI
youtube.com/watch?v=JhHBGRr2XDE
youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJFvje29A
youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
youtube.com/watch?v=vL1lxH7s3Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=b1bSlS6OWTs
youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
youtube.com/watch?v=7A1Z5CEXDM4
youtube.com/watch?v=ihNVhFA_X3I
youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0
cantius.org/go/music/
barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-the-divine-comedy-dante-alighieri/1106658809
npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/22/506599453/pope-francis-outlines-more-reforms-and-addresses-powerful-church-critics
lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-danneels-admits-being-part-of-clerical-mafia-that-plotted-francis
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes 1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Christian music list here. Pic is movies list.

>Marvin Gaye's "God is Love"
youtube.com/watch?v=nA7C815I104
>Woven Hand's "My Russia"
youtube.com/watch?v=vbUXbMn2zfc
>Om's Pilgrimage Album
youtube.com/watch?v=IK6wJUNirbs
>Sufjan Steven's "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross"
youtube.com/watch?v=qx1s_3CF07k
>mewithoutyou - Sun and Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mor7syiTSE
>Young Oceans - ONLY YOU
youtube.com/watch?v=imEvd1ck4fs
>Bobby McFerrin's Joshua
youtube.com/watch?v=7DRketdk07o
>Psalter's Lord's Prayer
youtube.com/watch?v=L3rT8YVJERk
>Janelle Monae's Victory
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wkOO_MEA
>Johnny Cash's God's Gonna Cut You Down
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
>Nick Drake - Pink Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
>Mary Lou Williams - Anima Christi
youtube.com/watch?v=4fv14RFfRLA
>Dr. C.J. Johnson's "You Better Run"
youtube.com/watch?v=bchmhIdZgys
>Judee Sill's Heart Food
youtube.com/watch?v=KI7sOZQaSkI
>Dave Bixby's "Free Indeed"
youtube.com/watch?v=JhHBGRr2XDE
>The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus' "Beauty After the Fall"
youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJFvje29A

Hymns

>A nice Latin hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4
>Nice Orthodox hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
>A nice Coptic hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=vL1lxH7s3Cw
>18th century English hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=b1bSlS6OWTs
>The Lord's Prayer in Swahili, done in song.
youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
>A nice collection of South Pacific Island hymns from the movie The Thin Red Line
youtube.com/watch?v=7A1Z5CEXDM4
>Hail Mary in Latin, done in song.
youtube.com/watch?v=ihNVhFA_X3I
>Hallelujah Chorus done suddenly in the public
youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
>Quality Icelandic hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0

Reposting my Apostolic Christianity recommended books:

>GENERAL

The Bible (Ignatius Study Bible Recommended)
The catechism of your denomination

>accepted English versions of Bible

NABRE
Douay Rheims
RSV

>THEOLOGY

>novice

Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser
The Last Superstition by Edward Feser
The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
Mere Christianity
CATHOLICISM by Robert Barron
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
Outlines of Moral Theology by Francis J. Connell

>intermediate

God: His Existence and His Nature by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
Natural Theology by Bernard Boedder
The Spirit of Medieval Philosophy by Etienne Gilson
Against Heresies
City of God
Christianity for Modern Pagans
The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church

>advanced

Apologia Pro Vita Sua
Summa Contra Gentiles
Summa Theologiae
On the Incarnation
The Didache
Divine Names by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite

Part 1/2

Part 2/2
>SPIRITUAL LIFE

>novice

The Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
Story of a Soul by St. Therese
The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose
Nihilism - Fr Seraphim Rose

>intermediate

The Interior Castle
Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius
Dialogues by St. Catherine of Sienna
True Devotion to Mary
True Devotion to the Holy Spirit

>advanced

The Cloud of Unknowing
The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross
The Desert Fathers
The Philokalia
The Ladder of Divine Ascent
New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis

>MEMETICS

Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World by Rene Girard
I See Satan Fall Like Lightning by Rene Girard

>HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL

Rome Sweet Home
The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day
After Virtue
Christendom I: Founding of Christendom
Theology and Social Theory by John Millbank
Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy by Bernard Williams
Life of St.Anthony by Saint Athanasius
Life of St Francis of Assisi by Saint Bonaventure
Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyol

>FICTION

Don Quixote
The Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Silence by Shusaku Endo
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Faust
Les Miserables
The Canterbury Tales
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Brothers Karamazov
A Man for All Seasons
The Pillars of the Earth
The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
Lord of the World
Parzifal
Joseph of Arimathea: A Romance of the Grail
The Arthurian Cycle
Quo Vadis

MERRY CHRISTMAS OP
I won't be here long but I hope the best from you.

God bless you all

Thanks bro.

I invite you to check out my parish's music. They have a fantastic Gregorian chants.
cantius.org/go/music/

Excuse the terrible grammar. Enjoy some wine at the moment.

hi

Merry Christmas brothers!

Got this as a present.

barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-the-divine-comedy-dante-alighieri/1106658809

This is pretty nice. Great singer you have at your parish!

>that soprano soloist

Tremendous.

for

>npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/22/506599453/pope-francis-outlines-more-reforms-and-addresses-powerful-church-critics

Reminder you all share a religion with Mestizos. Said Mestizos pray to Mary and believe she is greater than God.

>tfw John Paul II lifted his head and said "this book smells like pig shit"

Based John Sup Forums

>anti-pope wen

>On 6 May 2001 he became the first Catholic pope to enter and pray in a mosque, namely the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus, Syria. Respectfully removing his shoes, he entered the former Byzantine era Christian church dedicated to John the Baptist, who is also revered as a prophet of Islam. He gave a speech including the statement: "For all the times that Muslims and Christians have offended one another, we need to seek forgiveness from the Almighty and to offer each other forgiveness."[93] He kissed the Qur'an in Syria, an act that made him popular among Muslims but that disturbed many Catholics.[187]
>tfw Catholics literally made this guy a saint

>John Paul II oversaw the publication of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which makes a special provision for Muslims; therein, it is written, "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in 'the first place amongst whom are the Muslims'; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."[192]

Reminder that that's not an argument

Fucking retarded christcuck son of whore. Hope you die in AIDS from your local pedo priest.

>t. Achmed

Man, you christ fags used to be cool, you used to slay kebabs and murder faggots. Why don't you have balls amymore?

Merrry Christmas!

I went to a LCMS church last night for Christmas service and I was quite impressed. I will probably go back for a normal Sunday service next week.

Poland's answer to David Hasselhoff.

When will the modernist heresy that afflicts the Church, including the pope, finally be removed?
Is this a punishment from God for our lack in devotion?

All I want is traditional Latin Mass, is that so much to ask for? We need to mandate Latin in schools.

What do you mean by protestant-like?

Your time would be better spent sucking Muhammad's dick (piss be upon him). Atleast that way if all this religion shit happens to be true you would get laid for once in your life.

Bump

The Reformation happened and the subsequent infighting turned into Protestants labeling things like the Inquisition and Crusades as barbaric. Then Humanism takes off and "rationalism" furthers said critiques, and people start getting upset and say the Church has to "adapt with the times" to placate others.

how can you read the book of Ecclesiastes and remain a christian

it is the most devastating, nihilistic, mind blowing piece of writing I have ever read

what place does this book have within Catholicism? it is honestly one of the most powerful, beautiful things I have ever read, and im not even a christian

Lutheran here, I understand how you feel. More and more Lutheran churches in America have been selling out to the evangelical contempory doctrines that are so popular now, and it can be hard to find a Lutheran church that is strict on doctrine and practice.

Catholics should be able to have mass, Lutherans have communion, and evangelicals can go have self righteous phariseeic circlejerks without anyone interfering with each other.

Also I hope you guys get a better pope. While nothing he says matters to me directly, its undeniable that the Pope has a large responsibility in guiding millions of christians, and the current one is doing a very poor job at it. Ive personally wondered in your previous Pope was forced out by the globalists so this one could be installed, considering the last one was much more strict about doctrine and how the Church should be led.

Chekked, the media has warped the public perception of religion to the point where it's irredeemable.

There's a reason we used to burn heretics.

I was raised Methodist by my moms family, but I went to Midnight Mass last night and it was pretty good.

I mainly went to CC in case of a muslim attack. Gotta defend my countrymen.

You have to go back martinez

I'm married and have a son, but thank you for your concern.

The LCMS is the last true bastion of Protestant Christianity in the United States.

If you keep going, I recommend you get baptized and confirmed as soon as possible. Furthermore, I recommend you read The Fire and the Staff by Klemet Preus. It is a great book that really outlines the Lutheran Faith and its differences with evangelical denominations. I believe it is the Third most important book to read as a Lutheran, after the Bible and Luther's small cathecism.

More time devoted to the sermon than the rituals. The worst though was the music. Christian-rock type shit.

There's been a fair amount of articles written suggesting Benedict XVI was blackmailed by the gay lobby over the sex abuse crisis.

How do I convert my gf? She grew up baptist and drifted away from religion. But she goes to mass with me because she knows it's an important part of my life.

Merry Christmas brother and thanks for sympathizing.

>Ive personally wondered in your previous Pope was forced out by the globalists
He was indeed.

lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-danneels-admits-being-part-of-clerical-mafia-that-plotted-francis

Based Bennie.

Hello fellow Lutheran, which Lutheran denomination are you apart of? I find the LCMS to be the most true to the scripture and upholding of traditional values.

>But she goes to mass with me because she knows it's an important part of my life.
she sounds like a good woman, a good person

i cant think of any women in my life who would do something like that. my mum is a devout christian who goes every sunday and my dad never goes with her

she sounds like a good person user, very thoughtful and generous with her time

Thank you for the recommendation. I have never been baptized so I don't know how the process works but I will def look into it.

I'm a convert to Catholicism, and the first step in me converting was Pope Benedict's writing. I love that man a lot and owe him so much.

This is the most civil Christian thread I have ever seen on Sup Forums, even though there's several denominations present.
Good job guys.

christian threads were often very civil a while ago, unfortunately i think the 2016 us election brought a lot of angry obnoxious people onto the board

i used to go to christian threads to chill out during finals, that was like a year and a half ago

Yeah I miss the Christian General threads. There was a lot of civil theological discussion, even between those who disagreed.

What is book of Ecclesiastes?
t. Satanist

I am a baptized and confirmed member of the LCMS, Merry Christmas to you brother. And it is indeed the most true to the teachings of both the bible and Luther's catechisms.

Simply let you Pastor know you wish to be baptized. Baptism generally takes place at birth, but is obviously welcome to all. The LCMS generally will desire to baptize somebody as quickly as possible after they request it. No special knowledge of the faith is required for baptism, it is desired that all be baptized in the name of Christ.

As for your confirmation, All Pastors teach confirmatiin classes for Lutherans seeking to take the sacrament. After you complete the class, you take a test to prove you understand the teachings of the Bible. After passing the test, you will have a ceremony during the next service where you confess your faith with the pastor before the congregation, and then recieve the sacrament with the rest of the congregation. At that point you are a full member of the LCMS. I recommend you speak with your pastor as soon as possible for more information. Being a Pastor is a full time job, and they will always have office hours during the week so you can speak with them other times than just after service on sunday.

God bless you and Merry Christmas!

It is Christmas, we should be joyful in the birth of the Lord, and put our differences aside for today.

A finnish rosicrucian, Pekka Ervast, says Satan is the planetary spirit of earth; that Satan literally dwells in the center of the earth, like in Dante. What is catcholicism's view on this?

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes 1

basically a book of the old testament that says that life is completely fucking pointless and that it doesnt matter what you do with your life, you will still die and turn to dust and be buried and life will go on

pretty amazing would definitely recommend reading, it is incredibly bleak

Sounds rather horrifying and potentially crippling to read

I think the Church has stated that Heaven and Hell are not physical locations that are accessible to man for some time now.

If anything they're other dimensions or planes of existence.

The idea that Heaven is in the clouds somewhere is more dumbing down of theology to the masses for an approximation of the idea, which is what Atheists fail to comprehend when they use the "Sky God" argument.

it is the biggest redpill you will ever read

I like to think that it is indeed the Christmas spirit keeping us civil.
That said, I hope that in the future we will be having theological debates with a bit more substance and civility than "hurr proddie heretic" and "durr dagon fish hat".

Greetings from the Catholic church in Denmark. May you all have a merry christmas and an even better new year.

personally i hope that people can have a discussion about these things without resorting to insults and other unpleasantness

i think that people are capable of being good to one another, of being kind and being polite and friendly

call it the holy spirit, call it the human spirit, call it whatever. i think that if you give people a chance they will treat each other ok more often than not

merry christmas user

Maybe saying that too much knowledge, well, fucks you up in some way?

>For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

essentially, yes

Catholic Danes? Wow, I thought they pretty much didn't exist.

I really believe that. Pope Francis is a punishment, but it is a good one because many people are getting sick of this modernist bullshit everyday.

It's a complicated situation, but we wouldn't learn much otherwise.

Thank you for the information. If you are still in this thread I have one more question. What should I do if I believe in God, but my wife doesn't? I'm sure people at church will notice my wedding ring and ask about her, not sure how to respond.

And merry Christmas to you too.

merry christmas

>Crucifix Jesus wearing a santa hat

Is reading the NRSV followed by the KJV acceptable?

Didn't get a reply last night, so here's a preemptive "pls reply."

Reminder: Catholic/Christian generals have helped many people. I wasn't an atheist, but a few years back this time of year I was bs'ing in a thread and it really changed my beliefs and I learned a lot. My faith grew stronger because of some random anons.

So Merry Christmas to everyone, and keep up the great work spreading Gods message.

Went to a Catholic mass for the first time in 25 years today. Felt good, but would have preferred it in Latin, DESU.

My ex was into "modern" Christian services. OK, but the bands, hands in the air while in a trance, the big screens and special effects all have a hollowness to it.

It was good to get back to more traditional, but even the Catholic service has gotten more cheesy from what I remember.

Same feeling I got from the old generals. There was a lot of DEUS VULT cosplayers but there was a surprising amount of good theological discussion.

cool, a pizza demon thread

When I read old Catholic books, they always stress the fact we should pray for the clergy.
After realising that spiritual warfare is not a metaphor I also realise why. Just like guerilla revolutionaries always shoot the officers first, satan goes for the shepherds first to better lead the sheep astray.

Yes, I agree with that. We must turn ourselves to the old and true Traditions. Our lives and souls depend on that.

Merry Christmas, brother.

Merry Christmas to you too my friend.

Merry Christmas my brothers! I do truly hope you have had a happy day and wish you a happy year until next Christmas.
I remind you to pray daily read a chapter of the Gospel every evening

During this time do not think of Christmas as about gifts, family, or even giving. Remember it as the anniversary of God bringing us a path to that love we express in Christmas through giving and through family. It is the opened way towards to love and, through it, our fulfillment, that we celebrate.

Merry Christmas.

Ex athéist here, dont know the fuck i am today. Was alone yesterday, so i decided to go to church alone, for the christmas mass. Felt pretty good. Random people saying "i love you" was hearthwarming

That's so kind of them. Sounds like you are blessed with a nice parish, man.

Merry Christmas Wolfie!

Don't stop posting here!

I am a former atheist as well my friend. Only recently I "changed my mind". It started as a "I really want to support the Catholic institution in this time of loss of traditions".
Then I got more into it and now I believe. Start reading the New Testament, it's quite hearthwarming as well. And start going to church and go to confess.

>"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
John; 15, 5

You go back to the vine my brother. The fruits will come spontaneously

>thought this was just the picture
>It's the superstitious stuff again

My bad. Sorry.

They have a Catholic Edition you know. I have the NRSV-CE myself, I just really don't like the NAB, they did a pretty bad job with it, but their revisions are uncucking it.

KJV is OK since that's the edition of all of the Bible verses of pop-culture.

As much as I'm a traditionalist, I really don't like Douay-Rheims.

Oh how I miss those Christian Generals; they were the thing that got me into theology and apologetics. And the thing that inevitably lead to me getting baptized into the Catholic faith.

>R.I.P 2015 Christian Generals

Heres some of the fond memories from them.

Merry Christmas brethren.

>tfw fell asleep early last night and missed midnight mass at basilica of st mary's

it's a beautiful building too

forgive me jesus

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Especially you ol Wolfy even though you've left this thread by now.

Added to my screencap.

Be a decent person and love the most you can and there's really nothing to forgive

If someone hasn't started the /Christian Generals/ up again by late Feburary I'll start running some of them again. I still got the template for the first few posts.

You nigger dog son of brown whore I take your balls and turn them to mazaza balls oyyyyyyyyy vey

I hope in 2017 we can find a way to better help people directly. I much enjoy the philosophical/theological tract we get on and I know it's valuable to people in the west now but a way to better give to those in the most need would be a big step up for us.