I'm a machinist. AMA.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bclnb_Cp4sE
youtube.com/watch?v=gAwVya8AfyM
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6tc_dpfR0
youtube.com/watch?v=36wclbDOfJo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CouvkCNlKik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Which Pokemon do you find most attractive?

do you program cnc machiens?

What machine do you have? Lathe and mill? Do you do any injection mould parts? Any edm machines (die sink or wire)? What CAM software you use or do you have others that do that?

Not OP but if Gardevoir isn't your pokewaifu you have shit taste.

The only game I play is Battlefield 1. Which is already getting old.

did you ever put your dick in that machine?

I'm in training to become a programmer.

One decent bead of weld the others are utter crap.

Makino mills. No injection mould, no edm. And at the moment I have others to do the programming. Im still in training with that.

No.

True. Nobody at my shop is a actual welder.

Makino is pretty cool. What brand of tools you usually have? Are the machines cnc and you just press play or do you have to do the feeds and speeds?

wenn ist das nunsstuck git und slotermeyer?

How large is your shop?

Who is worse, the guy that did those welds or the guy that signed off on them?

t. actual welder

are we being raided?

Bump!!
Since us white guys need trades like macinest and plumbers and electricians and mechanics.

CNC machinist master race here

Iscar for the most part. They are CNC but we aren't a production company. We mostly make prototype parts. Something new comes along once we get the prior part proven.

CNC is quicker for rapid prototyping tho

Liquor merchant master race here

20 employees. Nothing crazy. No rules. It's comfortable.

Is that a robo-butthole

I worked in a machine shop for a few years. It was loud, dirty and depressing. Everybody was sad all the time, even the bosses, and the lunch room smelled like bad leftovers.

All of my licensed prototypes are done manually in Delrin, PPsulfone or nylon before commitment.

No it's some sort of pump. I usually don't ask those questions.

Iscar is a pretty decent brand. You work side by side with the CAM guy and tell him how you want it done?

I'm a mechanical designer myself but ive also done CAM work in the past and i would sit side by side with the machinist to ask him for his preference on some aspects

youtube.com/watch?v=bclnb_Cp4sE

This is the machine I ran. Idk if I would really even call myself a machinist. I was just a guy who stuck rods in a machine all day and tried not to lose a finger.

Why are most machinists complete, insufferable cunts?

Welderbro here, I've had to work with them before. With few exceptions, they're the most arrogant, snotty, completely insufferable, downright quirky people I've EVER had the displeasure of working with. I make it a point not to do business with machine shops, while I have zero issues working with other tradesmen and the general public. I absolutly HATE machinists (unless they give me a reason not to, on an individual basis) and I know many others in the skilled trades who feel the same way. I dont mean to take this out on you at all, just genuinely curious.

I knew a guy who was an airforce mechanic and he said that watching things spin will screw with your mind if you do it long enough. They told him in training that it was a serious offense to be caught watching a propellor turn, because after a while they'd stop seeing it so to speak, then walk into a spinning propeller later. He thinks this is to blame.

Outside of work, I've known only 3 machinists. One killed himself, one has a literal sex dungeon in his basement, and the third seems just fine, like you.

Do you have any thoughts on why theres so many of "those types" in your trade?

I use delrin a lot, but not all parts can be delrin

How many are you doing that you need a commitment piece?

CAM is super easy, takes a week to get used to max

Yup, me and the programmer, who also runs a machine, work next to each other.

My personal space is 1030 sq meters.

A machine shop is a hellish environment that will definitely take a toll on you mentally after awhile. The vast majority of them are not clean and new looking like you'll see in demo videos. They're dirty, smelly, toxic and full of some of the saddest burnouts you'll ever see.

Being around Spanish speakers all day every day took a toll on me mentally as well. I was majorly into drugs when I worked there. Being baked off your ass is the only way to make machining the same part 5000 times tolerable.

i wanna write my own cnc, where do i start?

is it the same language for most machines? what about industrial robotic arms?

Drafting guru here. Just began mein career path.
youtube.com/watch?v=gAwVya8AfyM

I hope to eventually move to Piping in Oil/gas.
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6tc_dpfR0

Areospace and defense contract master machinest here I run 4 Haas vf2s and several Haas turning mills, and do alot of work with mastercam to boot as well ama

It's all G-code

I use mastercam, seems to be the most straight forward.

A nice introduction to CAM is MeshCAM

I'm not a machinist or anything trade related but that is a cool machine

HAAS/mastercam master race

only got a mini mill though, vf's are fucking expensive

Wanting to kill every so called engineer comes to mind. Most are cocky because some are perfectionists. We're called the king of trades. I'm not sure man.

Most annoying shit is asking what tools im using so they can "make it easier on the CAM for me"

I invent things for the energy/heavy construction industry as an enrichment hobby. Sometimes I will undertake something OOB as a challenge like grinding cams for zero support textile machines and also do high cycle power motors/transmission systems. Have also done high end furniture pieces for shits n' giggles.

>They're dirty, smelly, toxic

Maybe it's some sort of actual metal related syndrome. Hatters went mad after a while because of mercury, maybe it's the same thing for machinists.

Yeah if you can do CAD and have some basic grasp of the concepts CAM is pretty much just learning where all the buttons are and what things you need to remember.

That is really the best way. Tell me, do you guys hate the CAD guys?

>Machinist

No measuring tools
No swarf
Sippy cup and cigarettes in work area

Are you ?

What are your and your coworkers' ethnicities?

so by cam you mean the part where i program a graphic/ 3d file into g-code instructions right?

We're 100% manual machines where I work.

This guy knows. Start and end with a %.

>No measuring tools
Why would I keep every tool out faggot? you can see the work probe in the pic too
>No swarf
Bottom right of pic is the bin cut off, also not a nigger, not going to have chips everywhere
>Sippy cup and cigarettes in work area
damn straight

Yeah, I was actually really fascinated by it all when I was first hired. But after a few months it just becomes the loud dangerous oily thing that I had to stand next to for 10 hours a day. Moving those 3" diameter 12 foot steel rods all day wasn't exactly a blast either.

Here's the other one I used, this one was really fucking boring to use. I used to fall asleep standing in front of it. Even the promo video is boring.

youtube.com/watch?v=36wclbDOfJo

You create toolpaths, and CAM Post Processors convert that to G-code for you

Tell me about it, and when some idiot decides to not check, thier programs (from others.... Engineers) they end up crashing the fucking things so hard it cost 30 GS just to fix. At least my workplace average s 75000 dollars a day after costs in profit

Calibration is redpilled, r-right guys?

>Tell me about it, and when some idiot decides to not check, thier programs (from others.... Engineers)

They put some stock in a vise and hit cycle start on the selected program?

Could be.

Here's a funny little story: I used to get tiny steel slivers stuck up in my hands all the time and one time when I was fapping one of them lodged itself from my hand into the skin of my dick. Couldn't get it out. I had a tiny metal shaving in the skin of my dick for months until I pulled it out with some tweezers. Didn't hurt or anything, but I could see it there under the skin.

What education do you machinists have?

Every single one of us are White Christians.

I just recently got employed by McDonald's as a Robotics Technician.

Why do cnc operators call themselves machinist?

we're so small I work next to the only real programmer.

I'm a high school student who was recently accepted to pic related, and I want to major in Mechanical Engineering. I've learned to use CAD software like autodesk inventor but know very little about machining. Would you recommend that I take any machining courses and if so, what should I know beforehand?

It's easy and sounds a lot better.

Most of the guys I knew either had no education past high school or they did a short CNC program at a community college.

And of course there are the fuck ups who never pursued their degree after college and ended up there. I also worked with one kid who really liked programming and wanted to work with CNC instead of computers for awhile. He pretty much replaced our existing programmer because g-code was elementary to him.

Check this out:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CouvkCNlKik

Ive actually worked with NX CAD/CAM its expensive as fuck and a pain to configure but with this shit up and running CAM is easy

Because that's literally what they're doing. Explain to me how its not an accurate title.

Tell me do you guys hate/dislike the engineers that work with you? I am curious since I am a radio engineer but some of my friends did mechanical

Yes and having half a brain when it comes to making something that's 10Gs a piece
We make specialized fixtures in a quick clamping vertical for almost every piece we make and almost never use a vice with out 5axis trunions, so when people who claim to have years experience, and break a 80 thousand dollar machine, because they could take a minute to single block though thier program and make sure the programmer didn't make an error it drives me nuts

Nothing beats hands on experience. Some things you just dont learn in school. Sure its a start but try to get some real exp in a real shop.

How big a cunt is it to start doing 4th and 5th axis?

You might find it a lot of fun but I wouldn't call it necessary. If your school offers a class like that I'd say go for it. Its a really awesome hobby to have even if it sort of sucks as a job.

my old boss wouldn't let us single-block, cuz it was slow, and time is money, after all. What a saavy businessman!

I would recommend you learn how to machine. You could be considered a one man band. And then you start your own company.

No clue.
We have a guy that took a weekend class and now calls him self a machinist.
cant operator a lathe, end mill, barely a drill press.

Would you say that homosexuality is quintessentially Swedish?

NONE! with no debt!

For some reason most machinery "engineer's" raise Thier expectations for the machines so highly that it's unfathomable, and they act like they know better then Sombody who's been doing it for years, if your a hard worker and focus on doing things right and willing to take criticism, and work on it then you'd be just fine

I have a few metal bits in my hand. At one time I had a lentil shaped thing forming around one of the bits. It's probably not the healthiest thing in the world.

Yeah I got one of those on my dick. Once I got the metal out it disappeared right away. I didn't want anybody thinking I have a wart on my dick or something.

meant for

How the fuck do you not single block a set-up?

Sage

shut up man these are some of my favorite threads on Sup Forums

shhhhhh

4th axis is easier than 5 but master c cause it's a visual environment makes it a bit easier, I guess if your around it for along time it's not too hard, but with 4th axis your only adding an A to your program so if the 4th needed to turn 180° you'd only have to ad an A180. To the program.... At least on my Haas's

if your making crazy expensive things it's better to be safe than sorry

The lentil thing disappeared by itself after a few months. Probably the metal bit that caused it dislodged form its initial position and now it's in my brain.

What does your shop do? Mine does medical components for surgical robots

Iv heard that vanishing oil will give you health problems later in life.

Being a machinist is nohow master race
Sage

>I flip burgers at a gas station AMA

no one gives a fuck, come back when you're interested

We actually have had some medical components in the shop as well. But it's not a production shop.

What machines do you have? We have 5 huge mazaks, 2 haas, riveting, and a surface grinder

Good thing I got out of there after only 2 years then. I would be covered head to toe when we would do an oil change. I worked with a guy who instead of washing the oil off with pumice soap he would just dunk his arms in a bucket of diluted solvents. Guy was fucking retarded.

yeah well thats just like your opinion man

Thoughts for a home machinist? As in what would be a great way to get started?

I would like to build small stuff, an example being an adaptor that would let a carb and an intake manifold match up.

Budget is about $1k.

Thanks.

Makino, Hyundia, Fidel.

You could probably find a small used, wore out old lathe for that but you're not gonna have any tooling to use it with.

Yeah hard to say with that price range.