F-35 thread

Well Sup Forums, Trump tweeted a couple days ago on the cost of the F-35, and that he wishes it was scrapped and an F/A-18 lookalike were to replace it.

Is this jet a good way to spend our money?

Redpill me on the F-35 Lightning II

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HEJO8t_wCUQ
abc13.com/amp/news/watch-live-search-resumes-in-deadly-apache-helicopter-crash/1676773/
youtube.com/watch?v=Qwh-1jRGuDc
youtube.com/watch?v=9s7-3EUXC_w
sldinfo.com/the-moment-pilots-first-realized-the-f-35-was-something-extraordinary/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're already spending double on your armed forces than anyone else and you're not at war. Probably do without a couple of jets

It had some issues in development but now they've mostly been worked out and it is the greatest plane ever.

We should buy the su jets from Russia

As an Apache you have my support

Please support our squadron too, we keep loosing brave souls over the Persian gulf

youtu.be/HEJO8t_wCUQ

Gulf coast too

abc13.com/amp/news/watch-live-search-resumes-in-deadly-apache-helicopter-crash/1676773/

The F-35 is americas biggest engineering flop and budgeting fail since the rocket belt

Why not research it yourself?

>america
>not at war

the f-35 is trying to do too many things at once

I don't know if that flag is rare for Sup Forums, but I have
never seen that flag before in my life

I haven't either and being in mobile idk how to tell what it is :(

why YF-23 is dead?

Seychelles, uncommon at best, mostly seasonal

yep, that's a rare

yeah people fucked up with some of the money management, but it's certainly a really good platform. Certainly scales of magnitude better than an F/A-18. F-35 is the first true 5th generation fighter, F-22 is really only like 4.8.

Actually a pretty good plane. The only downsides right now are cost and maneuverability, but its stealth and payload make up for those. Most prior gen planes will never get close.

An FA-18 upgrade will never be as stealthy because you can't modify it to have an internal bomb bay. I don't think you can upgrade the payload because of stress on the airframe.

In the end you might as well build a new aircraft, but there's no guarantee that the next project will be any less late or over budget than this one. It's cheaper to just continue with the F35.

Install clover from f droid

Cost prohibitive.

Shit maneuverability (The F22 can fly literal circles around it).

Horrific if engaged ATA.

Anything the F35 can do the F16 or F18 can do better.

It's a concept plane that never should've left the design room.

Scrap it, take the F-18 as your base and combine it with the best parts of the F22 and go from there with proof-of-concept.

Seychelles for mobile fags, apparently this is the place.

user, can I come visit? I need a break from real life.

sure, pham. better be loaded tho...

The f35 is a massive cluster fuck I hope it's killed and left in the money pit that it created

ITT: niggers who don't know what they're talking about.

The F35 is an infinitely better plane than the F18 Super Hornet. Which was a worse plane than the Hornet. The cost estimate of $1.5trikkion is over the entire lifecycle of the plane from development to retirement and includes training, ammunition, and maintenance. No other plane has had that cost analysis performed on it. A similar accounting for the F16 would be ~$1.2 trillion.

I can get there, I assume you are loaded. I can buy my own ticket and bring some of the finest green.

I have been to Doha before, in this really nice mall with an ice skating rink, they have porcelain holes in the ground to use instead of a shitter, so you must hover your ass over this smelly abyss hole, thats covered in shit mind you, standing in 1" of standing piss & shit water in the room and try to take a shit. If that wasn't enough there was a bucket in the stall with a rag and a water hose. The only think that was decent in Doha was the Dairy Queen & the shawarma. Fix your shit Qatar then you can talk.

This last half of post was meant for not

That's what the foot wash trough was for.

I think the bucket and hose was something to do with wiping your ass, because there was no toilet paper to my horror.

Yeah I didn't even try. I just pissed all over everything and left. If your height of technological advancement takes you to replicating a hole in the ground, I dgaf about your culture. They've been shown the toilet. They'd rather shit on the back of their shoes. Fuck em.

JSF = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Scap it, focus on drone interceptor and bombers.

>not stealthy with external stores
are people this dumb to realize why that is?

>Redpill me on the F-35 Lightning II
youtube.com/watch?v=Qwh-1jRGuDc

Cancelled Yak VTOL developments bought from Russia in the 90s with extra stealth, lift-off fan behind the cockpit (instead of a small jet engine), modern electronics and aerial refuelling slapped in.

And "OH HEY LETS MAKE NON-VTOL VERSIONS" because """UNIFICATION""" (where it isn't due).

kek

Has the capacity to use weapons that don't even "exist" "yet"

We'll be shooting plasma out of these things before the Russians can even master stealth

Sauce?

Oh, and further Yaks were cancelled because Yak-38 was terrible: limited manoeuvrability, no radar, short range, limited choice of weapons (making small combat radius EVEN WORSE) to the point where Ka-29 helicopter was superior.

They built single-engine Yak-141 (and further stealthy Yak-201 was in development) with radar and shit, but the navy was already like pic related at this point. Plus the country fell apart and NO MONEYS hit hard. So Yak had some short-lived affair with Lockheed Martin trying to survive sudden influx of capitalism.

>doesn't even have a gun
>(((stealth)))

Eh, i still dont get it why countries need fighters when there are drones....

TWO SUPER RARES SPREAD THE WORD NOW

This is probably the most ill-informed post on the F-35 I've seen in a while

>shit maneuverability
The F22 is THE best A2A platform in the skies right now. The F-35 is not designed to be an air superiority fighter you dolt.

>horrific if engaged ATA
Absolutely false

>anything the F35 can do, the F16 or F18 can do better
just stop it

>It's a concept plane that never should've left the design room
maybe, too late now

>Scrap it, take the F-18 as your base and combine it with the best parts of the F22 and go from there with proof-of-concept.
AHAHAHA oh man. The f-35 will be supplementing existing superhornets. And you cant just mix and match best parts holy shit

can't get that level of spatial awareness and reaction from a drone. a real life pilot would wipe the floor with a drone any day of the week.

Yes. The F-35 does everything better than what we have at the moment, and gen 4 fighters without the sensors/low observable of the gen 5 fighters they will not survive in any contested environment.

Missile/sensor tech is just too damn good not to invest in the F-35.

Also

>not staying ahead of potential adversaries, regardless of the cost

Sir your point is valid!
But just think about it, from the price of the place, probably you could buy 100 or might 1000 drone. Whats better attacking 1-2-3 things, or 1000-2000-3000?

Well, look at that. After a decade of calling them retarded for not including one, they finally got the message.

I always knew you were one of us m8.

>Britcuck doesn't realize his government just bought a fuck load of the VTOL version

Because Guld died for our sins. Press F to pay respect.

Fighter jets are gay and lame

They were cool in WWII to stop oversea bombers, but dont they have fucking lazer satelites and shit now to do that stutff

Then have LOTS of drones you dumb fuck. What's the payload on an F35? Like 12 missiles? What's that gonna do against 150 drones?? They are CHEAP compared to fighters and pilots, and if they crash WHO GIVES A FUCK.
Drone swarms are the next era of air superiority.

Please stop spamming your video in every other thread lad...

THIS nigger gets it

rare to find someone there who posts on Sup Forums, but seychelles is just a tax haaven like panama. lots of rich folk there

>Want the jet to be a CAS and a dog fighter and stealth at once
>Can't have it all and bad at all of them
The cost is too much and the benefits are too little for what they want it to do. I personally think the Marines F-35 is a good deal because it is a supersonic VSTOL jet that replaces the AV-8 and frees up the need for Navy F-18 hand-me-downs for the Marines. Personally I wish there was a non stealth version that had better fighting abilities.

It's the 'next era' for a reason. The technology to control swarms of drones in symphony without crashing and burning doesn't exist yet.

And they'd have to be controlled by their own AI otherwise lag would fuck them over. Not to mention area effect weapons.

This isn't battlestar galactica, nigger.

Is that gun pod only for testing, or is the final version just mounted onto the plane as well?

It's going through the same development pains the f16 went through.
Was originally ment to be a cheap barebones fighter.
Change order after change order delayed it by 6+ years and trippled the cost.
Everyone is now happy with the f16.

The f35 isn't as good Ina dog fight in Some some situations as the f16 but it wasn't ment to be.
F22 and f15 will clear the airspace from other top line fighters .
Good plane we are asked for shit that didn't exist yet so it won't go as planned

Look up the price of a (in terms of air-to-air) shitty drone like the MQ-9 Reaper. Then look up the cost of a drone with good sensors like the MQ-4C Triton.

There's 3 variants of the jet; the normal A model which most people are buying, including the USAF. The B model which is STOVL ("VTOL") for the USMC, UK, etc. And the C model which is just for the US Navy supercarriers.

The A model has an internal gun - it's what you see shoot the gun in the air.

The B and C models have an optional external gun pod, because guns aren't used much, they weigh up to ~1000lb and the US Navy found they didn't need them in Vietnam.

You are truly retarded.
The drones could be operated remotely, like they currently are, by some E4/E5 in Utah.
Don't need an "AI symphony" you megafaggot, you just need LOTS of basic ass drones in the air with 1 missile each.
This is the basic principle of volume of fire, it's literally why ever fireteam has a machine gunner, because "LOTS of bullets" is a winning strategy.

>The B and C models have an optional external gun pod, because guns aren't used much,
Going down the no guns road again? They said that about the F-4 and a few years into Vietnam they had to build gun pods for the jet. Navy jets have had guns ever since.

No. The Navy didn't have the money for guns and instead built Top Gun. The Airforce installed guns and their dogfight ratios were shit.

>basic ass drones in the air with 1 missile each

That's literally what cruise missiles are, you fucking retard. Remotely operated drones for any other combat mission other than pretty pre-determined bombing runs would get their asses handed to them by actual piloted fighters.

Fucking Tyrones, man

>Bro, i can track back some of my ancestors till 1600 and those ancestors family was first mentioned around 1400.
>I am realy happy that we have same opinion, but iam whiter than your whitest ancestor. So you can do me a favour. How about you start be polite and stay on the fucking point?

>latency doesn't exist

So the figures I got were that drones are approximately 50x cheaper (2mil per to 100mil).
Again... 5 fighter jets or 250 drones... seems obvious to me.

>human error doesn't exist

Lag spikes breh.

I think 3-4 UCAVs slaved to a F-35/F-22 are the future though. Basically just datalink a missile truck to fly with the "mothership".

>we funnels nao

I'm willing to bet some of my ancestors literally owned some of yours, calm down Ireland or whatever

Human error can be mitigated with training. Latency is fucking laws of physics.

what an interesting flag

The same reason that the AR-15/M-16/M4 initially lost out to the M14 before based Curtis LeMay saved it... Military folks are slaves to convention, to what has been demonstrated to work. The YF23 was too much of a departure from what they considered to be the norm.

I think it would have made the better aircraft, but that's entirely speculation on my part.

youtube.com/watch?v=9s7-3EUXC_w
USAF and USN Phantoms started with a 2:1 kill:loss ratio.
USAF added guns by adopting a new variant of the Phantom - essentially nothing changed and they still sucked.
USN didn't change anything about their hardware, but just taught people how to care for and use missiles properly - their kill:loss ratio went up to 13:1.

because it was never alive. It was the demonstrator competing against the F-22 and the F-22 won

>buffering
>buffering
>buffering

This user has it. They were trying to do that with reconnaissance helidrones and the Apaches. BTW, the F35 already has this technological ability in its existing electronics package.

It's more of a tool than a warplane. It can double the range of missiles shot from aircraft carriers, help stop nukes, something like that.

You also don't need an army of drones to launch a bunch of missiles at something.

You can use 1 drone to acquire target, then you just fire the missiles/ordinance of your choice using the data from your 1 drone/forward observer.

Our current system is miles better than sending "thousands" of "cheap" drones. Your idea is retarded.

Only 1600s? Race mixer 900s here

Id personally wish we would scrap F35 as well and invest the money in mass produced drones and out own national comms relay (sattelite or ground based since we don't have to cover an extremely large area)

There is a reason why Canada cancelled its order even after putting down $200M unrefundable deposit way back in the 90s.

They're both problems that you work around. No strategy/tech is perfect. Latency is the trade-off for never losing another pilot and for having 50x more weapons in the air for the same cost.

holy fuck never seen you before

THIS

shit even the F-22 was a waste when a drone has the same effectiveness at a much cheaper price. F-18 was the pinnacle jet but those govt contracts....

R A R E
A
R
E

so were they testing the f-35 in dog fights or what? i thought the f-35 was supposed to snipe you from miles away before you even knew they were there. i don't think it was ever designed to perform in dog fights

They were. The F35 "lost" to the F16 because it had restrictive software installed to decrease its capabilities during testing.

it's already over budget, might as well say fuck it and keep going, we're already this far

the plane is good anyway you fucking shills. You idiots say the US is wasteful, meanwhile brand spanking new Russian jets are falling into the ocean

That 'trade-off' isn't worth literally losing the 'superiority' in 'air superiority', because while your signal is traveling from bumfuck nowhere Utah to Sandniggerstan, your drone swarm is getting owned.

too many hands ruin the broth.

It's supposed to be a do-all stealth fighter designed for countries that put money into a big fat pool.

Won the competition for its country based on looks.

Lots of moving parts for VTOL version.

1 engine for carrier version... which Navy hates.

waste of motherfucking time.

meant contract... not country

>BTW, the F35 already has this technological ability in its existing electronics package.

Yeah. Their sensors and user interface are amazing. I read something on /k/ about a pilot that hopped in the seat, was on the ground and his plane was already talking to a flight of 3 or 4 other F-35s already in the air. Had all of their sensor information on everything they were seeing at his fingertips.

Really neat stuff.

Hot damn akmed, thanks for that flag i needed it. how you getting along over there with all them clinton foundation bux?

The F-35 is nothing but probably the largest money laundering corruption scheme that has ever existed. The plane costs a fortune for a reason, Lockheed wanted to not just get Scrooge McDuck rich, but like Forbes Top 100 richest combined and they were hellbent on doing so. Or they just wanted to see how much they can actually get away with before someone stops them and this is the answer.

It's not a bad idea to axe the project and Trump's right. The fucking F-18 is a more capable aircraft than this shitheap.

That's a nice leaf tier post there m8.

I dont think anyone will take advice on airpower from a country that has 10 gripens for an airforce.

sldinfo.com/the-moment-pilots-first-realized-the-f-35-was-something-extraordinary/
>Sack: It was my first flight at Edwards AFB Jan ’16. I got in the airplane and started it up. I was still on the deck and there were apparently other F-35s airborne – I believe USAF, I was not aware. I was a single ship, just supposed to go out and get familiar flying the aircraft.
>As the displays came alive there were track files and the SA as to what everyone else was doing in the airspace, and I was still on the ground. I mean, I hadn’t even gotten my take-off clearance yet.
>I didn’t even know where it was coming from. It was coming from another F-35. The jet had started all the systems for me and the SA was there. That was a very eye opening moment for me.

Also, we just recently found out that the following was from Red Flag 16-3, when the USMC's first operational squadron took part:
>Mo: I was leading a four ship of F-35s on a strike against 4th Gen adversaries, F-16s and F/A-18s.
>We fought our way in, we mapped the target, found the target, dropped JDAMs on the target and turned around and fought our way out.
>All the targets got hit, nobody got detected, and all the adversaries died. I thought, yes, this works, very, very, very well.
>Never detected, nobody had any idea we were out there.

>the US Navy found they didn't need them in Vietnam

What? It was the exact fucking opposite with the F-4 Phantom experience serving as a wake up call that an aircraft even today need a cannon. I'm kinda shocked if the B and C variants don't actually have an on board cannon. It's like they didn't learn from their mistake.

Yup. The network centric warfare package is amazing. When the pilot takes a shot, the computer calculates best firing angle. The missile you fire might not come off your plane, but be from another in formation with you.

>the ability to toggle views
>360* glass plane
>surround sound helmet
>motherfucking 9year olds designed the cockpit

See