Why did anyone think this was an okay thing to do?

Why did anyone think this was an okay thing to do?

i don't get it. Is he trying to imply that greek myths like the cyclops and medusa are real but debt isn't? what is he implying? Or is it just "hurr greeks are in debt" and not making a statement at all

I ignore my debt all the time

it's working so far!

How do you not get it? Have you ever been in a course covering ancient mythology? Someone will always remark how crazy it is people actually believed in it. The joke is that even the mythological characters everyone thinks are so stupid it's surprising anyone ever believed in them in turn think the Greek approach to managing debt was so stupid it's surprising anyone actually believed in it.

just extend the limits every time they ask for it back

it works for the government

According to liberals debts don't matter because you can spend to your way to growth so that you can cover your old debts with new loans.

IT'S FOOLPROOF

> Greek approach

not the EU approach to end Greek statehood and dissolve the nation in an experiment to see if they could destroy a European nation with debt and take over control

nobody actually believed it though, it was more like fairy tales. The equivalent of disney films today

Regardless of what the EU's intentions were after the fact, they didn't force Greece to take their money, did they?

> intentions after the fact
It is very naive to think that EU would involve itself in the risk of giving all this money to Greece knowing full well its financial situation. If you think the EU involved took this massive risk without a good idea of the consequences is incredibly naive. If the Greeks had managed to pay them back EU would have made money, if not EU essentially would own Greece

OK, but again, did anyone force Greece to accept all the money they borrowed, or did representatives of Greece voluntarily take that loan money?

There are multiple instances of historical record regarding death sentences for those who divulged the Eleusinian Mysteries. I don't think you can say nobody took myths seriously given that.

but you have to think, religion was just a different thing than today. Now it makes no sense to believe in religion to explain things unless you're endoctrined or do it for your own personal reasons, but back then nobody knew anything for sure. It was better to be safe than sorry so to speak, much more then than it is now

So if someone made up a story about a god creating lightning or whatever, sure deep down you might not 100% believe it, but when there's literally no other explanation for lightning you're not going to take any chances.

yeah the stories were all obviously bullshit and fairy tales, nobody really believed there was a person with snake for hair or whatever, but if someone starts denying all the Gods left and right you're going to want to shut them the fuck up lest they actually be true and the gods decide to fuck us over

if they weren't forced would it make a difference? The EU gave them money at better interest rates than anyone else, their reliance on EU loans was inevitable. Just because the EU didn't put a gun to their head doesn't make their endgame any different.

Oh and you know for sure what they really thought huh? It's okay to admit you were wrong you know instead of trying to desperately backpedal.

You still aren't obligated to borrow to begin with except to fund a bunch of bullshit vote buying programs that aren't needed.

>if they weren't forced would it make a difference?

It makes a huge difference. I don't feel bad about anyone who gets fucked over for voluntarily accepting money they can't pay back.

modern governments are shit at downsizes yes it is 100% the Greek government's fault but that doesn't mean that the Greek people should lose the ability to decide the direction of their country. With the financial crises in mooretugal/ireland ect on the horizon I fear that Greece will serve as an example of EU takeover of a country

Greece lied about its finances when it joined the EU too.

The EU should have kicked Greece out.

What other consequence should a defaulting nation have aside from losing some degree of governing autonomy? How else can you hold them accountable?

the market should hold them accountable, as your credit score drops the market should only offer smaller loans and higher interest rates as is what happens in private industry. This encourages self sufficiency and financial reform in order to again benefit from loans. When an outside force like the EU or IMF says yeah your credit score is shitty but here's a huge loan there is no incentive for a nation to become more self-sufficient or enact the necessary financial reform.