What's the point of full time minimum wage jobs if people can't afford housing with them?

What's the point of full time minimum wage jobs if people can't afford housing with them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communal_apartment
newschannel10.com/story/23875454/mcdonalds-increases-dollar-menu-prices
pressherald.com/2016/05/25/data-rent-not-affordable-on-minimum-wage-nationwide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

To exploit worker and to make rich people even richer.

I work minimum wage full time. Combine that with regular visits to the plasma center and I can afford to live, go to school, and save money.
I even smoke cigarettes and occasionally I'll buy some pot.

Who do you live with?

If i knew anyone i could trust, i'd have a lot easier time. But my last friend got me evicted.

>someone's labor is always worth at least the amount of resources required to house them, no matter what

Economics for retards

I live alone currently, but as soon as gf is done with culinary school she'll be moving up here with me.

How much is your rent? 850?

So people should always be forced to live in poverty?

Please. 650 for a one-bedroom apartment, and it's decent at that. Gotta live in a college town my dude.

Supply and demand

Cities will always be overpriced due to high demand and low supply. Basically dont live in a shithole city.

I live in western washington. I don't think i could find a one bedroom for that much within 80 miles of seattle. How are you able to afford so much on just 350? What job is so easy that you can give blood regularly? What financial aid did you get for what degree?

This but more imporantly to break up the family unit by forcing women to work.

I know womens lib also caused the "few jobs many workers" as well as wage decline. But they are self-reinforcing two´s of one whole.

There isn't a single state in the U.S. where minimum wage workers can afford the average 1 bedroom apartment by only working 40 hours.

You could always live in a cheap warehouse collective with friendly lefties.

>financial aid
Ain't no faggot. I pay for trade school. I work FULL TIME. My paycheck is usually almost $500. Blood plasma is easy to give. I make sandwiches for a living currently but if I get this pizza driving job my income will almost double (but I'll want to pad my savings for my next car).

Here's a tip. Move. Find a place you can live cheap and the jobs are plentiful. Keep money on your mind all the time. Live cheaply. Don't buy vices. It's not as bad as it sounds. Don't be afraid to work, and NEVER be complacent.
A savings account is your best friend.

>So people should always be forced to live in poverty?

Quit being such a melodramatic faggot. Minimum wage workers have quite a few options open to them
>live with family
>get a room with a friend/girlfriend
>do whatever is necessary to get a better job

This.
A resourceful, PROUD man can always get a better job. Pride is the most important thing you can have.

ITT: OP asks how to grow up and be a man

i worked more than full time for min wage, went a winter without heat or electricity or hot water, had niggers jump me and steal my bike on way home from work, and still never asked for any handouts because I'm a man

not that I would have qualified for handouts since I'm white male with no kids

quit smoking pot/drinking alcohol and learned how to manage money and I make a lot more nowadays

A starting point when you first enter the workplace and gain work experience to move up to a job that can pay for those things.>So people should always be forced to live in poverty
An almost non existent number of peoplein the west lives in actual real poverty

Stop with this relativist bullshit famry.

If you work in the west you're richer than 95+% of the world

>What's the point
Communism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communal_apartment

>wont to work minimum wage
>wants a house

You cannot get nice luxuries with minimum work. The value you produce is not worth that much investment or productivity.

Rare flag :3

To make their economic slave owners rich. Did you know that the average mcdonalds makes between 3-5k a day? God forbid they pay their workers another 20 dollars a day, that would make a big mac cost 6 gorillion goy!

Only 2℅ of the population is on minimum wage. It isn't meant to support a family or get you an apartment. It's meant to be a shitty job while you to to school.

Move if you're making minimum wage, dipshit.

A large 1-bedroom in a small town in Texas is barely $500 which includes everything except electricity.

This is why this whole $15 minimum wage thing is so fucking stupid; it makes sense in urban Commiefornia, but not in rural areas.

>if I knew anyone I can trust
I know that feel. Its better now but there are still a couple bad apples I need to drop

Newfag.

>McDonald's and its franchisees employ approximately 1.9 million employees as of 2014.

>1.9*20*365= $13.9 billion dollars per year.

God forbid wages kept up with inflation. No wonder we'll never get back to the Golden Age of America that everyone looks back on so fondly.

t. nigger

Look, I'll give you a few tips on how to be poor. Free clues.
1. Never say no to a handout, but ALWAYS show gratitude.
2. Help out the ones who help you, allies are important.
3. Don't do drugs.
4. Time and money are your most important resources. Monitor them closely.
Life is like a survival horror game when you start, and it turns into an rpg once you get situated.
5. Find the most cost-efficient way to cover necessary expenses. All non-essential expenses are optional.
6. Keep a calendar on your phone with everything you do laid out. This will help you have more free time.
7. Spend free time creating. Creativity improves your brain. I compose and engineer music for example.
8. If you can make money doing it, never do it for free.

You pay for tradeschool and a car and feed yourself on 350-500 a month? no phone? No internet?

>Quit being such a melodramatic faggot. Minimum wage workers have quite a few options open to them

So a person moves out of that job and someone fills their place. Society still demands that someone be placed in a position of poverty to sate their needs.

This is how it is meant to be?

>God forbid wages kept up with inflation.
Fuck off, plebeian.

Minimum wage is NOT MEANT TO BE A LIVING WAGE.

It is meant for high-schoolers to make a little extra cash and get work experience.

It is meant for interns to get insane amounts of on-the-job training while also making it economically feasible for the host company.

It is not meant for Tyrone to afford flat screens, video games, weed, and booze.

Entry level jobs for young people.
Also, get a roommate.

Dude, I make ~1000 on my job. I make about 350-400 on the plasma bank. Add in some odd jobs and the occasional album sale and that's maybe 1-200 a month. My expenses are as low as possibly sustainable. Take some pride in what you do, and be resourceful. It ain't that hard for a (((smart))) gentleman like yourself.

>Minimum wage is NOT MEANT TO BE A LIVING WAGE.

>there should always be several million people who live in poverty. yes they can always get better jobs, but they will be replaced and there will always be a need for people to be in poverty, so we can have cheap tasty pizza and hamburgers and investors can earn money on their investments.

Correct?

Yes, not every person of every age and in every circumstance needs to own property, a car, and earn enough money to raise a family. Once somebody moves out of that job and onto greener pastures somebody who's just getting started out in the world replaces them.

Minimum wage jobs are perfect for people in college, underage faggots living with their parents, or a person who lives with another person (or two) who also work minimum wage jobs.

But low minimum wages just makes it so the rest of us end paying for social programs while massive corporations rake in record profits, then end up paying jack shit in taxes.

Oh yeah, user is right. Once gf moves in, she's got a $10/hr job lined up with opportunity to advance, and living will be EASY.
This shit ain't hard. It really isn't. Quit being a whiny faggot, OP.

You're supposed to do your duty as an outstanding citizen by getting several of them dummy

You're assuming that everybody exists in a vacuum and without government intervention then people would literally not have access to penny's worth of resources outside of what they could pay for.

That's just not how the world works though, college students still receive gifts and money from their parents, kids are still being cared for by their parents, and people can always pool their money together (voluntarily, which stands in stark opposition to taxation, which definitely is not) to rent an apartment or cook a thanksgiving dinner.

>us end paying for social programs while massive corporations rake in record profits
Even if you completely removed all profits of these "massive corporations" you'd still only be able to pay all their employees sub 2$ extra an hour.

The money quite simply isn't there user

>Yes, not every person of every age and in every circumstance needs to own property, a car, and earn enough money to raise a family. Once somebody moves out of that job and onto greener pastures somebody who's just getting started out in the world replaces them.
>Minimum wage jobs are perfect for people in college, underage faggots living with their parents, or a person who lives with another person (or two) who also work minimum wage jobs.

What percentage of these jobs make up the economy? I am all for "starter jobs for college kids" but these poverty jobs are a very large portion of the full time job economy, and are largely the only options for people who can't afford school for various reasons.

>That's just not how the world works though, college students still receive gifts and money from their parents, kids are still being cared for by their parents, and people can always pool their money together (voluntarily, which stands in stark opposition to taxation, which definitely is not) to rent an apartment or cook a thanksgiving dinner.

Odd. people tend to attribute their success or stature in life to their own efforts. Not the fortune of their birth.

So fortune of birth alone? Damn that's harsh. Nothing has changed has it?

The minimum wage where I live was raised, and I can still afford to pay my employees and keep my business running. How long do we allow businesses in this country to keep bleeding us dry? It isn't sustainable for much longer.

Good for you, too bad your experience isn't relevant to massive international corporations.

Mcdonalds total revenue in the average year is 8.5B, it would take 6.5B to 13B to pay JUST for the labor of its 420,000 American employees at $15/hour, depending on if you were paying full time or part time. And that's assuming you paid EVERY employee minimum wage, from the cashier to the CEO, which we all know isn't happening.

If you fired the CEO and distributed his income across all employees [$7,000,000/420,000] you'd get an extra $17 dollars a YEAR per employee.

Similar situations for most large restaurants and retails. These businesses operate off of relatively slim margins of profit, making money by being the low-cost alternative to everything and using the saved money to be absolutely everywhere.

In a rational non-nigger and jew infested society. Peasants always had a place to live in.

Then their business model is unsustainable and they don't deserve to continue being propped up by taxpayers. And why aren't they closing stores in markets that have raised the minimum wage? No franchise is going to continue operating if they are losing money, so obviously then still are managing to make a profit.

Actually in many cases they do, simply to keep the brand going. They eat the costs in one store using another store.

In any case, the problem is that minimum wage is not and should not be enough to support a family on. Moreover, focusing on raising the minimum wage ignores the actual problem, which is that there are the numerous crippling problems with the job market and economy in general.

"Le minimum wage" is a meme, its an attempt to legislate the economy better by fiat, which is impossible.

And your numbers are WAY off on McDonalds revenue. They average over triple what you originally stated.

Obviously raising the minimum wage alone is not going to fix all the problems with our job market and economy, but it does go a long ways towards correcting what should have been happening for decades as wages stagnated.

You're reading the numbers for the entire corporation, not Mcdonalds USA.

And the point is, the present economic reality is that these businesses would go out of business or engage in mass-automation and layoffs if you raised the minimum wage nationally by a considerable amount. They simply don't have the money to pay these people that much.

>And why aren't they closing stores in markets that have raised the minimum wage?

You really don't need to be an economist to figure this one out bud.
newschannel10.com/story/23875454/mcdonalds-increases-dollar-menu-prices

Friendly reminder, each mcdonalds makes 2 million dollars a year.

Even if they didn't though, justifying keeping mcdonalds around so that people can get super fat from the terrible food makes no sense either way. It's literal poison.

Well what is society saying when they will demand that there be a poverty-stricken underclass of people just so they can have cheap food?

That we're total shit?

Granted, but most other large retails/stores use the same model. They LIVE off cheap labor and materials, and make a fortune off economy of scale.

Increase labor costs, and they collapse.

I can't imagine why people support raising the minimum wage to $15. The minimum wage has it's place as a means of worker protection. That's all in my humble opinion.

The price of labor is determined by the market value of the work being done. Jobs that pay minimum wage are worth less than what they pay. Earning minimum wage means your boss would pay you less if he legally could. It means the government, federal or state, is having to intervene in the marketplace to skew the value of your labor upward. It means you labor isn't competitive.

Also, when someone has minimum education, training, experience, or credentials of any kind...a minimum wage is what can be expected, right?

Mass-automation is unavoidable either way. That's coming whether we like it or not. If a business can't pay their workers properly, then they are parasitic and don't deserve to stay in business. Smaller business would fill the void, and we'd probably be better off.

No one should expect $1 burgers. If something is that cheap, people sure as hell shouldn't be stuffing that shit in their faces.

Do you have evidence that the majority of minimum wage workers rely on their job to live AND that their job is inadequate for them to do so?

If you can't prove both points then your entire narrative falls apart.

This thread motivated me to go back to school, probably radiology. I got an aa in English and it's worthless unless I want to do undergrad, I just don't want to be a teacher anymore.

Tired of being a faggot, I work all night tonight, I make decentish money but I'm the lowest of the low

pressherald.com/2016/05/25/data-rent-not-affordable-on-minimum-wage-nationwide/

I have no data. But I'm sure a lot of people earning the minimum wage should have moved on past it but haven't been able to because of poor life decisions like refusal to earn education or training credentials or having a kid out of wedlock.

inflating unemployment numbers to win elections for incumbents.

Women also stayed in the kitchen during that "Golden Age."

I'm not saying they should be forced to stay home and be homemakers. But you have to take the good with the bad, that economic freedom also meant greater competition in the workforce, which is going to have downward pressure on wages.

Liberals also push for immigration and more low skill workers while at the same time complaining about low wages. They're not the brightest bunch.

I work a job that I love, but I get paid next to nothing to do it.

What are some legal ways to make money on the side?

Buy wood and nails.

To build skills, dipshit. Minimum wage jobs aren't intended to be the end of your career. If you can't learn otj then kys.

You have another data point to prove.
I agree, where I differ from you on a fundamental level is how those people should be treated. I think that regardless of how you were raised as a child you still have an opportunity to be a productive member of society if you choose to be.

Pfft for 650 in Missouri you could get a fucking house lmao 2-3 bed

>So people should always be forced to live in poverty?
That's a non-sequitur and a half right there.

>Then their business model is unsustainable
Hey dumbass. Yeah you. Their business model is fine. You fucking retard. The problem is "people" like you - I use that term very lightly, you're really just a walking piece of shit - wanting to take away money from them to fit some arbitrary agenda.

I agree that everyone deserves opportunity. For me, the one role for the public sector and public money that almost everyone can agree on is investment in people. Allow people to earn their credentials that will make them valuable in the competitive market place. However, experience has taught me that a lot of people make bad life decisions that are difficult to walk back from. It's mostly going to be good decision making throughout your life (including decisions to work your ass off), regardless of background, that will determine success.