Starting a Commune

My mother, grandmother, sister, her husband, and I are interested in buying a plot of land and becoming as self sufficient as possible over time while still having electricity and basic modern conveniences (several of us will still keep jobs for cash). Whether we build one big house to start with, or several smaller houses, I'm not sure. I see things like this online: newdaytoassemble5000lastsalifetime.wikidee.org/one-day-to-assemble-5000-lasts-a-lifetime.html
$5000 for a house that can be built in one day and last a lifetime? It sounds too good to be true and I am paranoid of scams.

What advice would you give us? Where should we start? What kind of legal hoops are there to jump through? Are there any legit "home building kits" that are solid and affordable?

Pic related. It would be great to eventually be able to escape the slavery of modern life to have a family home that is self sufficient one day.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2013/08/01/tech/wikihouse-build-your-own-house/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Enjoy your hippies

things you can self sustain:
food

things you cant self sustain:
electricity
wifi
natural gas
water pipelines

just play stardew valley

I assume because of your flag you live in the USA. I am not aware of any county/state that doesn't impose property taxes on land, how do you plan to pay that? I dig self sustaining/off the grid, but if you're gonna play the cards you're dealt as far as property ownership that's a big chunk of USD every year.

It's possible to do, but it's very hard work for everyone. Is your grandmother in great health? Because she will have to pull her weight too. Solar Panels can help with electricity, but they will only do so much. Expect cold showers. If you are raising animals and farming, it will be a full time job. Be sure you read up on what crops do best in what seasons and whatnot. As for the $5K log cabin? I've never heard of it. Honestly cant say much on the matter. Building a house yourself is the cheapest way to do it, but be sure you get permits and stuff regardless

Not hippies. Barbarians.

Communes = Small scale communism
Any Sup Forumstard who thinks this is a good idea is a normie

Nice Waco simulator

It can work if it not marxism
Also you need to keep the population under dunbar's number

Earth bricks.

Living in a tribe has nothing to do with communism, unless it consists of retarded communists trying to have their little communist tribe. Don't try to tell me that the Gaulish tribes had small scale communism and thus were not a good idea.

Like I said, several of us will still keep a job and have cash. We'll surely start out relying heavily on money and modern conveniences, but over time, we'll learn to live off the land.

>electricity

Solar/Wind

>wifi

Libraries, mcdonalds, coffee shops, etc. (Or satellite, unless of course he wants to go full off grid)

>Natural gas

He wont need it.

>Water pipelines

You can install septic and plumbing, if that's what you mean. If you mean in terms of potable tap water, he'd have to spend more money, but it can be done.

Unless he lives in a wet climate

>What advice would you give us?
That you need more land and a lot of money for equipment.

>Become freelance web developers for jobs
>Put diverse plants clumped together in 'crop forest' for heat and redundant anti-pest antibodies
>use greenhouse that filters UV rays

Seriously though, which state are you guys located in?

>What advice would you give us?

douse your self in gasoline and light yourself on fire as you jump off of a very high cliff you communist sacks of shit.

cnn.com/2013/08/01/tech/wikihouse-build-your-own-house/

Checked.

Meshnet into a local grid, and pay BTC for routing to broader Internet.

OP's doing it wrong. You're supposed to start a commune with pretty free-lovin' young hippie chicks. Not with your sister and mother.

I live on a small homestead with my wife, she works a normal job and I take care of everything else, it's way more difficult than most people imagine.

We have about a dozen apple trees, bushes growing a variety of berries, a half acre of Irish potatoes, two dairy goats, five leghorn chickens, two cats and two doggos. Bunch of other crap I'm too tired to write about.

It's not really financially a good idea, even having a minimum wage job would be more cost effective than what I currently do now. I just do what I do in case society collapses I will be able to keep me and my wife alive. It's hard work and a money sink.

>implying he doesn't want to fuck his sister and mother
Is this your first day on Sup Forums?

Building a house without a foundation is generally stupid. Home building kits aren't legit. You can't buy a house online then read a manual and put it together. Depending on what you want to accomplish the cheapest thing is probably a used trailer, then a used house. If you have sufficient knowledge of building codes, which you sound like you don't, you could get one in need of repairs within your area of expertise. Hiring out repairs will generally cost more than buying a house that doesn't need those same repairs.

As a general rule if there's not a lot of new construction happening in an area that's because new construction is significantly more expensive than existing houses, otherwise businesses would be making money off of building houses. Most people would rather have a new house, so they are willing to pay more for a new house. Buying existing houses is probably the best way to go if it needs to be a house.

the way ive always imagined it is that these self-sufficient communes filled with hippies are self sufficient from just food, utility, etc. expenses, not from taxes and shit

a small farm such as one OP proposes wouldnt need constant monitering, so id imagine that everyone would get a job and rotate shift between working and staying at home

>self-sustain
>by going to mcdonalds

are you retarded?

'MURRICA

>hippies
>working
That goes against the whole point of being a hippy. The guy who actually owns the land is paying taxes to the man and if he's paying the man he's just as bad as the man, so if they work for him that's just as bad as working for the man.

well youre trying to "self sustain" yourself with 5 chickens??? lmao
you dont even have the food to maintain them dairy goats.

If OP is truly trying to self-sustain, he wouldn't have need for wifi. I was responding to someone else's comment. (Are YOU retarded, nigger?)

Have you retards never been to a family run farm in the country? This is literally the same thing.