EPA To Alaskans In Sub-Zero Temps: Stop Burning Wood To Keep Warm

thefederalist.com/2016/12/30/epa-alaskans-sub-zero-temps-stop-burning-wood-keep-warm/

>The New York Times reports the Environmental Protection Agency could soon declare the Alaskan cities of Fairbanks and North Pole, which have a combined population of about 100,000, in “serious” noncompliance of the Clean Air Act early next year.

>Like most people in Alaska, the residents of those frozen cities are burning wood to keep themselves warm this winter. Smoke from wood-burning stoves increases small-particle pollution, which settles in low-lying areas and can be breathed in. The EPA thinks this is a big problem. Eight years ago, the agency ruled that wide swaths of the most densely populated parts of the region were in “non-attainment” of federal air quality standards.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_heating
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hmm should I pay $300 a month gas bill or spend a day using my chainsaw to create fuel for 6 months for free.

This is where the government pisses all over you.

The EPA can fuck right off. Fuel oil is expensive as shit up here, and wood is cheap and renewable. Fucking EPA nigger shits.

This is the same government that maintains that fracking leads to harmful compounds leaking into the groundwater, but these people need to use that sweet natural gas for heat.

Doesn't the coal industry similarly cuck government officials in Germany against nuclear power through fear mongering?

Willowfag here, visited Fairbanks around Halloween. This was new in the local paper then. Fuck off OP with your old news.

I hope Trump's pick kills the EPA

the same people that support Solar Power (and thereby the extraction and refinement of Rare Earth Minerals) but are against fracking.

If you want to save the environment, the last person you should put in charge is an Environmentalist.

Why do those niggers have a problem with burning some cut logs yet do nothing about the hundreds of factories shitting up the water and air?

Poor white people moving to fucking Alaska.

Just need to switch to clean efficient log burners which put out less emissions by 90% and need less wood to achieve the same kwh output easy. My town just did it took 5 years for a town of 350000. Council gAve interest free loan and the use of less wood pays the cost.l

>Prudhoe Bay: A-OK!
>Stove burns wood: That's no good!

Prudhoe Bay is out of oil anyway and they just locked up the Arctic for the future

Environmentalists are anti-human, I swear to god.

Alaska has no major metro areas. Ash particles settling in the wilderness is no big deal, and just fosters future forest growth.

Fuck the EPA

Sorry m9, it was in my feed.

Read it again
>Combined population of about 100,000
That's a major metro area

thats the idea

>100,000

lol

"EPA" kek. Niggah we mine coal and burn it out right like it's 1820 without a fuck.

RARE WHITE ID

goddamn this place is dead. I suppose everyone partied all night.

Second largest in the state, third if you count PWS as separate from Anch

Not even close.

Fairbanks doesn't even have a fucking stable power grid. Just today in my job at a local Alaska telecom, we had to deal with the fucking commercial power going out there last night and it still wasn't back up at the end of my shift. Shit goes down all the time, so having no alternate means of warmth when people lose that shoddy grid is pretty much suicide.

Speak "power" to truth my dude.

OP you also forgot that we're on the top of the fucking planet. So most EPA faggets need to fly here to check on *ONLY* the mines then leave. The rest of us are free to due as is. BTFO my dude.

Lol what the fuck?

And all inner ameriturds can just keep chugging gas and burning fuel in their muscle cars?

What the fuck?

Not the point. The point is that 100,000 people is not a large metro area. The rest of the country has 6-figure suburbs. The Dallas suburb of Arlington, TX is larger than Anchorage is.

The greenies have been pushing this HARD in cancuck for a while now.

Like fuggin Alaskans are gunna stop burning wood wtf....Alaskans should build some big ass sky hi bonfires and send recordings of it to the EPA those faggets. I plan on moving to Alaska in the foreseeable future and I will burn all the fucking wood I want.

Buy a shitton of land then, wood's expensive to buy

We already do this. Alaska is the most libertarian if not outright anarchist environment you've ever met (outside of anchorage). Also welcome.

Fucking cut it yourself you lazy fagget....

That's the point you illiterate fuck

>Alaska is the most libertarian if not outright anarchist environment

That is EXACTLY why I am moving there:) That and I like to hunt / fish, into basic survivalism etc.

> oil-producing states have higher oil prices than oil-consuming states

Viva la capitalismo?

>burning fuel in their muscle cars?

most americans drive normal cars. perhaps a bit larger than the ones in europe, but muscle cars went out of fashion decades ago, except for the odd /o/ penis compensator.

They don't refine it

To much beer has clearly put my on the defense my dude. Happy new years.

You as well, I'm going to bed finally

No

>Buy a shitton of land then, wood's expensive to buy

You do realize that Alaska has some of the most densely forested land in the word yea? The Tongass? Southern Alaska period is like Norway with YUGE pine forests. No one is going to miss what little wood I find to put in my oven desu.

And just thing of all the damn coal vents that come to the surface... I don't know of anyone that doesn't have a combi stove.

>And all inner ameriturds can just keep chugging gas and burning fuel in their muscle cars?

We have these things called catalytic converters, maybe you've heard of them?

>No one is going to miss what little wood I find to put in my oven desu.

Of course, the real issue has zero to do with wood scarcity, and much to do with Chinese levels of air pollution when too many people live in an area and they all have to use cave man tech to stay alive.

Never go full retard.

This is how you provide heat to a population center. Every Russian city has this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_heating

This. Power went out last night for 5 hours a day after It dropped like 12" of snow. Luckily it was like 30 from the heavy snowfall. Last year we lost power for THREE WHOLE DAYS and it was like -20 iirc. Ran the shit out of my 500cc generator for 72 hours which sure saved on pollution over burning a tree or two.

It gets shipped to the lower 48 for refining then back up for use. Not cheap.