Are you using any non-Free™ software right now?

Are you using any non-Freeā„¢ software right now?
If yes is it because of lazyness, ignorance or do you simply not give a f*ck about being at the complete mercy of pure evil (Google, Facebook, Mossad, etc.).

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_as_in_Freedom
youtu.be/x1vs6Jsod8Q
privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/privacystatement
liliputing.com/2015/02/elementary-os-devs-say-youre-cheating-dont-pay-free-software.html
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

didn't we all get windows 10 for free?

Install Gentoo

Stallman is a filthy commie.

Free as in freedom not free as in beer. Stall man is a commie though.

>win10
>free

I stayed on windows 7 because I like it better. Also Microsoft still gives me updates so I'm fine :^)

Slavic magic of piracy

Dude windows 10 it literally malware.

that's a bit of an exaggeration

yeah anyone with win7 could get it

win7 was goat, but software support was limited

unlikely, anarchoid maybe

>yeah anyone with win7 could get it
You paid with your privacy for it. Besides, when RMS says "Free" he doesn't simply mean that you don't pay for it. Read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_as_in_Freedom

youtu.be/x1vs6Jsod8Q

yeah but there is no right or wrong answer to this debate, there exists a gray area where propitiatory software and hardware co exist with open source software. Developers are aware of this need for flexibility and reuse of their software, so many applications have SDK APIs to facilitate these needs

There is no reason not to use Linux on a laptop at this point. If you need windows software use a VM, gaming is for desktops. Unless you want to use a macbook of course, but I don't do anal so that's out.

>that's a bit of an exaggeration
They're not even hiding anymore.
privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/privacystatement

He doesn't know shit about politics, he even supported the moderated beheaders in Aleppo just to give you an example, but when it comes to software and privacy he's probably the most informed.

>there is no right or wrong answer to this debate
When you use a "free" proprietary software, you're paying in a way or another, be it data mining or ads. Open source software comes with ads too sometimes but the difference is that you can always find (or make) a version that doesn't have ads, it's simply how open source works.

It's not just about privacy but also security, most of the proprietary security software, like bitlocker or any other component of the windows operating system, have exploits that can make your files vulnerable for years and you'll never know because the microsoft's programmers never realized where the exploit was, till some white hat underage script kiddie released a a blog article about it 5 years later. Of course, during those 5 years black hats have raped and exploited the fallacy to their heart content.
Security by obscurity is dangerous and obsolete. With open source software, anyone can analyze the code and report the exploits to the developers, naturaly it's possible that some sfotware don't have an userbase large enough to generate an interest in the code of the software itself, so some exploits can remain open for some time, just like what happened with heartbleed, but these cases are very rare.

>the fallacy
I meant the flaw* my bad.

He's more like a mutualist desu

I like this distro, but had to uninstall for muh games

I'm so happy i saw how IT became so important.

Just wondering when these guys will win the Nobel prize, imagine how important GNU/Linux has become.

Linus and co-inventor Richard will be remembered for centuries.

>Mozilla Public License

Proprietary for games, open-source for work and everything else (running elementary).

Use PCIE passthrough with windows in a VM.

>elementary
>he fell for the meme os
liliputing.com/2015/02/elementary-os-devs-say-youre-cheating-dont-pay-free-software.html

>develop libre software
>make it impossible to include your software unless the project meets strict guidelines for being libre
>surprised when no one uses your software

CC0>BSD=MIT=Apache>>>>>GNU

>CC0
What's special about it? wouldn't CC BY-SA be better?
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

CC0 is use with no restrictions. Effectively no copyright, but everything in the US is copyrighted by law.

>If yes is it because of lazyness, ignorance or do you simply not give a f*ck about being at the complete mercy of pure evil (Google, Facebook, Mossad, etc.).

All 3 are true.