Is reading a pseudo-intellectual activity?

Is reading a pseudo-intellectual activity?

I've never read a book in my life but made a resolution to start reading this year - but is it useful hobby in this day and age? I mostly see pretentious hipsters reading books with their $8 coffees, seems like that's all it's good for.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cVLpdzhcU0g
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12209446
calnewport.com/blog/2007/09/26/follow-a-sunday-ritual/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8447247
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

faggot

Reading is extremely useful, you just have a low attention span.

>I've never read a book in my life
>First world class citizen
Keep it up matey.

of course read is usefull you stupid nigger wtf

it's just information, why wouldn't it be useful?

The nice thing is that a good book can give you a focused investigation into a topic whereas just stumbling around the internet is going to give you shitposts by retards.

Books are p good my family member

I feel like I've seen this thread before.

That said, how the fuck did you get through school without reading one book?

For people as retarded as you i don't think you need to worry about whether or not it's pseudo-intellectual as there's no intellect to speak of.

You're literally saying "I don't read but i see hipsters with books so I need someone else's validation". Before thinking about reading or other things try taking a look at your life and see where you went so wrong that you care so deeply about what other people may or may not think about you or your actions.

As for if reading is useful or not it depends on what you read. Reading cheap erotica is unlikely to contribute to your knowledge or let you think about how you would act in circumstances that you may never be put in.

Fucking read a damn book, you cant learn entirely from the internet. The internet is full of bull shit and stories are what make you interesting

It is mostly degenerate, I must say--I went to Barnes and Noble by accidend the other day and most of the books now are little-women esque OooO She Got Murdered on a Train! type shit. Reading and Writing are over. might as well move on. Maybe when there's omething to write about it will start up again. As for now everything's fluff muh anti-consumersim! bullshit.

>reading in public

Wrong. Reading should be treated like meditation, with enough time to reflect on what you've read. You cant do that effictively outside, that is if the book is worth thinking deeply about, but that depends on the intricacy of the book.

But yes reading is very good. It's just hard with how our information media works nowadays for it to compete with sensationized articles. It's work, but rewarding work.

F-fuck.

My parents always told me to read a book and if I didn't they would be "disappointed". It was never forced or anything but for about 8 years I never understood the purpose but now I enjoy it.

Really my favourite part is the characters tone of voice, dialogue, atmosphere and of course progression of plot. Every aithor writes differently so it's like infinite different tones and styles of writing for me

fucking idiot, i thought bongs were supposed to be intelligent

Dear user,

Reading makes your imagination work, because rather than watching a film where you don't have to imagine anything your brain not actually gets the information, but has to work for it. It is like gym for brain. The result? Your imagination and ability to think increases, your ability to give answers and create new concepts, you will learn new words and shit like that. You don't have to read a lot, just read 3 pages every day.

Actual and pseudo intellectuals both read.
Just make sure to avoid fiction. Most of it is a time-killer for overgrown children (specially fantasy and science-fiction). There are exceptions of course.

Teacher read to us, or we "read" as a whole class and took turns. Seriously.

Still got an A* without actually reading a book from first to last page.

youtube.com/watch?v=cVLpdzhcU0g
Watch this video you shithead

>Reading non-fiction

What's it like to read what the jews want you to think all the time?

Reading books is pseudo-intellectual.

Reading in general is obviously a very intellectual thing to do but reading novels is shit tier. Novels are basically TV shows; they serve no intellectual purpose, they're just exist to entertain. Reading history books or scientific journals is intellectual, but you can find those things online so it's not like books are the only source of information.

If your resolution is to read more books for the sake of reading books then you are a pseudo-intellectual hipster faggot.

It shopped newfag

When other people don't read, I win. I become final boss. (((They))) read a lot and know history. Be a good goy and keep up with "entertainment."

you sound like a huge child, OP.

of course it's useful.

I know, it's a disgrace, not at all hygienic when food preparation is underway.

Theres no difference between doing math playing high skill ceiling video games and reading literature the actual good one they all feel the same

Reading is great. Try to get in a routine of reading every night before you go to sleep. You'll start sleeping better too. And become a more knowledgable and interesting person.

Be careful what you read though. Garbage in garbage out

I always notice people on the train reading books with music on. How do they process information like this? This makes me think it's a pretentious activity to look smart in public.

I can't fully concentrate on an article or interesting thread with music on.

>i looked at a best-seller shelf and judged the entirety of modern literature on the contents

that's like looking at a top-50 song list and saying music is dead.

You have to know how to read:
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12209446

There's a reason you see some grad students able to read 2-3 books a week which are absolute tombs of dense content with very little noise and much signal it's because they know how to read properly.

Reading is best at night, before you sleep because you don't stare at any bright light screens like phone/tv/computer and you can actually sleep. If you want a good book go pick up Godel,Escher,Bach:An Eternal Golden Braid or The Computational Beauty of Nature.

And I thought British education was better than 'Murican. Probably still is despite this no-need-to-read oddity.

>checked
the autism level is off the charts with you faggots

>Is reading a pseudo-intellectual activity?

everyone stop fighting and post big titties instead.

I can listen to music and sing along with the words while reading an article. I find it easier to do with music I've heard a million times because I don't have to consciously think about the music, I already know what's going to happen and what it sounds like so I can focus on reading new information.

>fiction is redpilled
Oh yeah, I'm sure Harry Potter and Hunger Games expose the jewish conspiracy.

>reading 50 shades of gray makes you an intellectual
This is literally the argument for "reading is an intellectual thing to do"

>science journals

>not pseudointellectual

pick one

I can't stand talking to people who don't read. They're certifiably dumber than people who do.

Can't spell, no vocabulary, can't conceptualize, limited purview with which to think, and if you use a 3 syllable word they gather the townsfolk and burn down your house.

Just fucking read something god damn

>reading
>pseudo-intellectual activity

>pretentious hipsters reading books
>I've never read a book
>never read a book
>read a book
>read

WE THE HIPSTERS NAU!

Read Evola and become redpilled

Is walking a physical activity?

I've never walked an inch in my life but i made a resolution to start walking this year - but is it useful hobby in this day and age? I mostly see pretentious hipsters walking with their $130 nikes, seems like that's all it's good for.

>pseudo-intellectual
favorite word of every single pseudo-intellectual. you clearly need to read more.

OP doesn't read le books

You just have to read stuff that is relevant to your interests or aspirations.

If you read something because you want to seem smart or because you think a smart person would read it and you have no other reason for reading, then that's when it becomes a pseudo-intellectual activity.

>all the pretentious comments ITT

Some books are like a well balanced meal whereas other books are like McDonald's.

McDonald's books are good to read to keep you entertained but don't do much beyond that. They're okay every once in a while but you won't get effective mental gains from reading fantasy and sci-fi novels.

Then there are chicken rice and broccoli books that when read critically will make you mentally swole af. These include historical narratives and biographies, or other non fictions. They give you perspective on historical events and the experiences of others.

If you wanna have your mind blown start with savitri devi's historical narrative Defiance. Is a great conversation starter with white liberal college girls.

>so what're you reading right now
>oh I'm reading this book by an Indian woman who was a nazi in WWII...really sheds light on one of the forgotten voices of history
>wow user you're so cultured...wait you said she was a nazi?
>yeah a nazi. It's hard to read some of the terrible things she believes but it's important to hear strong women of color having voices of history

>someone is doing something i cant do
>they must be trying to look smart

Yes and no.

People that say I read X amount of book per month are for the most part pseudo intellectuals.

Start with the greeks.

I have a friend who constantly talks about how much she reads and tells people they ought to read more. She is by far the dumbest person I know.

Just the other day she posted on Facebook something about how if schools assigned watching TV or movies as homework then kids would hate TV and love books instead. Moreover, she posted it using run on sentences and incorrect sentence structure in an attempt to sound profound and enlightened.

>the only purpose of art is entertainment

If this isn't bait. Kill yourself.

accomplish self-kill.

If you watch the serials and movies you can get any knowledge you will ever need

S-s-sauce?

>I mostly see pretentious hipsters reading books with their $8 coffees, seems like that's all it's good for.

Nothing wrong with reading at a cafe. Part of what you are missing are the dozens of people at home, a park or other place also reading while that latte-sipper reads Proust.

Reading is good as a time passer
My favorite book so far is 1984
The bible is a great time passer too cause it's mostly just describing shit as intently as possible, and I liked the hunger games before it was the movie, the I saw the movie and it ruined the books for me

depends on what you read

Reading books always seemed like a waste of time to me. I don't think there's anything intellectual about reading fiction, it's just mental masturbation as far as I'm concerned. Teachers always stressed the importance of reading but I think it was just the adults' way of getting us all to STFU for a few minutes of peace.

Reading textbooks, articles, and commentary are useful, though. I'm quite successful and could probably count on one hand how many novels I've read front to back.

>that's like looking at a top-50 song list and saying music is dead.
user, retards do this all the time.

It's a good way for people to transfer information with each other. Not everyone can make a film, but anyone can write and self publish a book. Exercises the imagination, too. It's a good hobby.

It's 2017 embrace the new tech. There's more info on the internet, than all the books ever written. Books are obsolete.

If you don't think yourself of a intellectual just because you read a few books, it's not pseudo intellectual. But it's fun, helps passing time and can bring you new ideas and point of views into your life. Also it's less brain damaging as TV or staring into a screen all day.

Don't even bother going to /lit/ though, THAT is a bunch of pseudo intellectual hipsters.

nigga its still reading.

Reading during my youth is what allowed me to be able to properly articulate myself throughout life.

It also fostered an imagination, which is novel in this age considering children are using touch screens from infancy

spark notes got me through college so im not surprised op never read a book

>The internet is full of bull shit and stories
>implying no book anywhere has lies or bias of perspective in it
Granted it's so much easier to lie on the net, but it's also so much easier to be passed off as fact or truth just because someone wrote it down. You have to actually think about that shit before accepting anything regardless of medium.

All they talk about is Hellenic shit and MUH KAFKA.

depends on what you read, books are a medium

It's also how you meet girls.

If you don't want a degenerate drunk nightclub chick that wants to suck your cock for blow then go to a bookstore or cafe sometime and read something. They will approach you.

If your goal is not being social and just getting work done there is no better place than a quiet library to do this because no distractions calnewport.com/blog/2007/09/26/follow-a-sunday-ritual/

>yess goy reading is good for you, how about buying that book on WW2 written by an holocaust survivor, it will teach you a bit of history

Unless you consider books like 1984 or Brave New World (the first ones that pops into my mind) commentary, they should be considered fiction. That type of books are important because they let us explore "what would happen if this or that" and then compare it to the real world to see where we could be headed

It use to be the best way to get information. Now we have the internet, and are essentially reading all day.
Certain books are fun to read as well. I've had some I couldn't put down because I was so curious about what was going to happen next

All in all it's pretty outdated though

1984 and Brave New World are sci-fi allegoric representations of the eras they were written in, they are not "what if" books

My friend got me quite a few dense tomes (each a "chapter") to read for Christmas. Not sure they have read it yet.
I told them to get "pattern recognition" by William Gibson (get it read it). Normal novel sized book.

When i look at those books i want to read William Gibson again. I like succinct stories exploring ideas and concepts in a succinct way.

Yes hipsters do non-read books in public places. Thats what a hipster is. They "like the idea of.." they are "advocates for" reading/science/the environment/religion. Pretense.

You don't also have to be pretentious. That is how Hipsters ruin everything.

There's lot's of reasons books are superior to some click bait posted on the internet.

For one printed works are open to libel laws, they can't just write pure propaganda and fiction like they can on the internet. Two, ninja editing is impossible with books. The state cannot go back in time and rewrite novels but they can edit a Wikipedia page and change history sourcing their change with a dozen fake stories without anybody knowing.

There's also Sci-Hub, so you can read academic journals you'd be surprised how many redpills are revealed in things such as Oxford's Foreign Policy Analysis journal.

>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12209446
that is a beta advice, read to gain new knowledge and skills, also solve your troubles and advnance in your career. Don't do it to get womne, you will get feminist like that, also is better to read for yoursel and go your own way...pst read about MGTOW.

I've never met a person who is both an avid book reader and an intelligent individual.

What kind of retarded shit is tihs?

>HURRR IF YOU READ BOOKS YOU MUST BE READING FAKE HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR SIHT DURRR

I like the way you think !

advance* women*

yeah yeah, I don't agree with that considering neither of them is the world we current live in (though a combination is not too far off), but you know what I meant

Reading is very useful and can help retain/build knowledge, the problem is people reading just to get attention for being lel so nerdy xDd. Don't be a cunt and reading will be very beneficial

It´s good for your brain oh my fucking Kek this civilization deserves to fall.

READ BOOKS FOOL

we need a book club

>representations of the eras they were written in
No, they were not. 1984 is Orwell's critique of the far left in the West by imagining the end result of government controlling speech for the greater good and the authoritarian measures they were in favor of for the prole. He says as much in many interviews.

They're slippery slope allegories, not representations of what was.

>pissed off brainlets think anecdotal evidence counters facts
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8447247

I knew some literal niggers would try to make excuses, well, there are none. NOW GO FUCKING READ.

You are an embarassment to our country.

do you even wear a barber's basin as a helmet while riding a old worn out horse pretending you're a knight? faggot.

Yes.

Unless youre reading worthwhile stuff. Politicial/philosophical etc. 99% of people who are "bookworms" read shit like stephen king or similar entertainment literature. Youre just reading a slow movie.
It can be argued that a part of classic 'must read' books are equally neglectable in terms of intellectual value but at least they offer some insight in the history of the West in a sense and insight in great creative minds.

I can finish a 200 page book in a day if the material is interesting enough and I have time. If I don't enjoy the book I read like 50 pages a week. If you're reading just to learn, well the book might not be fun to read you just have to push through it.

Since you're a bong and you haven't read a book before I recommend 1984 by George Orwell. It was the first book I enjoyed, back when I was sixteen. Many others will say the same.

Yeah like Candide. I read that shit in two hours man it was good.

>he hasnt read dostojevski
pleb

This is 18+ site.

I would probably struggle with reading if I had headphones on but I much prefer reading with music playing in the background. I would imagine that you shouldn't worry so much about the relationship between listening to music and one's ability to focus on reading. You should instead read a book you fucking retard.

>British intellectuals

Fucking this.
I was all: oh boy a literature board.
Shit, and they say Sup Forums is an echo chamber.

just play any classical music or generic 'zen' music.

The internet ruins attention spans, I used to do a lot of reading but the web destroyed my brain.

Are you going to read me your written blogpost señor? I wouldnt want to be a pseudo-intellectual or nothing