Rothbard/Ancap Thread

Tell me more about this guy, he seems like a real character. (I read the wikipedia article).

What do you want to know about him in particular? He was a pretty cool guy desu.

According to the wikipedia article he was not just a capitalist libertarian, but also a metaphysical libertarian. His justification for that belief was "determinism as applied to man, is a self-contradictory thesis, since the man who employs it relies implicitly on the existence of free will."

I don't see how that follows. Did he elaborate any further on it?

Bump

He basically defines free will as the ability to rise above one's instincts and the ability to use reason as a means to achieve one's ends.

The very act of determining that there is no such thing as free will involves reasoning- and therefore is proof of free will.

jesus fucking christ my connection is shit... sorry it took so long to post this

he's a jew who basically is the intellectual Godfather of the austrian economics movement. even the mises institute follows rothbard more than they do mises, who was not an ancap

he certainly moved in the right direction towards the later end of his life. he realized there were group differences and realized that egalitarianism was a huge problem for libertarianism and "anarchism"

his writings were interesting but i dont agree with most of his political philosophy, but i respect that he was able to see past egalitarism unlike so many other libertarians and jews

>tfw the right side can never win in a democracy

fucking hell.

Anarchism always has been anti-capitalist, just call yourself autistic libertarians instead of making shit up.

>He basically defines free will as the ability to rise above one's instincts and the ability to use reason as a means to achieve one's ends.

>The very act of determining that there is no such thing as free will involves reasoning- and therefore is proof of free will.

But it seems very clear that he was an incompatibilist (as he specifically said causal determinism did not apply to man), which would imply that his conception of free will had to be contra-causal free will, not just the ability to reason or use reason as a means to achieve one's ends.

I really see this as a glaring weak spot in his philosophy.

I don't even subscribe to Rothbard's ideas. I just found his wikipedia article due to having encountered the ancap meme. ( ) and found him and his outlook to be interesting subjects for discussion

Yea, it helped quite a bit that Libertarianism was mostly divorced from mainstream academia. I don't think Rothbard, Hoppe, Rockwell and friends would have drifted away from egalitarianism so naturally if they had attempted to find their home in modern universities.

I'll be honest with you, I think the Mises Institute is the only legitimate academic institute left. For 20 years it basically had a monopoly on all the interesting, alternative ideas in society while every other academic institution (including "conservative" think tanks) were advancing Progressive ideas.

Also, at least according to Rothbard, those called "libertarians" historically have been anti-capitalist too.

That is why the people on the right side fall anywhere between regarding democracy with extreme suspicion to outright denouncing it as the worst form of social organization to ever exist (pic related).

Yea... Rothbard wasn't exactly a rigorous philosopher. To be honest I think the more interesting literature in the philosophy was produced by his contemporaries. His work was pretty vanilla desu.

Who would you say is the best/most rigorous ancap philosopher? It can just be your opinion, whatever.

bump again

Hes 90% based except he justifies child labor and living under a corporate boot.

So how is he "based" then?

>Tell me more about this guy, he seems like a real character. (I read the wikipedia article).

Rothbard was one of a kind, a true genius and one of the nicest most joyous people ever.

His book on the Great Depression is ok,but is guided. His book on liberty is idiotic. Rothbard was what made me turn my nose to anarchy.