What is Sup Forums's take on climate change?

What is Sup Forums's take on climate change?

Please don't be as stereotypical about it as I think you guys are going to be.

Other urls found in this thread:

wattsupwiththat.com/2016/08/03/ipcc-has-at-least-doubled-true-climate-sensitivity-a-demonstration/
rationaloptimist.com/blog/adapting-to-climate-change/
joannenova.com.au/2010/02/the-big-picture-65-million-years-of-temperature-swings/
climatechangedispatch.com/97-articles-refuting-the-97-consensus/
ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/spmsspm-projections-of.html
m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snow-removal-boston-northeast/42028195
m.digitaljournal.com/article/266424
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>climate change
global warming or global cooling? or is the evidence too contradictory that you can't make up your mind?

MEA CULPA
MEA CULPA
MEA MAXIMA CULPA

Anthropogenic climate change is real, the only debate left to settle is to what extent it will affect our planet and likewise our civilization, and on what timeline. I don't care if you want to argue that the effects of climate change will be negligible, but outright denying it is absolutely delusional.

Not anthropogenic. Whatever else, we aren't causing whatever is happening.

Let's worry about actual environmental shit instead like hormones in the water and like the plastic killing turtles and niggers and brown people killing rhinos and rainforests and shit.

The bottom would fall out

The chinese made that shit up.

It's happening but the western world fucked over its own population (telling people not to have kids ect) assuming everyone else would do the same.

This DESU.

climate change is real, we have hot and cold times based on the salanation of the oceans due to ice melt
mans involvment is debatable
government use it as an excuse to control and tax more

envormental inititives and global warming intitives are not the same thing, we all dont wana live like chine but taxing the shit out of small and medium sized businesses for smog isn't going to reduce smog unless you destroy the business.

republicans:

2000: global warming isn't real
2005: global warming may be real but humans didn't cause it
2010: global warming is real but we're still debating whether it has anything to do with human activity
2017: global warming is real and humans are causing it but we're still debating the long term effects
2025: global warming is real and it has utterly destroyed the US economy but we can't do anything about it anyway
2030: human extinction

>muh gloobly woobly!!

>What is Sup Forums's take on climate change?

I don't think it will be important.

1) Oil is going to dry up before any of the effects of climate change are felt.
2) There is already a strong negative feedback effect: health and pollution. Take a look at China. They have no choice whether climate change is real or not.

I think there has been no significant acceleration in sea level rise over the last 150 years.

This is what leftards actually believe

Why can't we just fucking tax those bastards or something. All that shit blows over to regular people countries. Fucking asshats, all of them.

Man made climate change, outside of full scale global conflicts (i.e. World Wars) are negligible at best and minor at worst. The push for "climate reform" is nothing more than a way to keep third world countries from achieving industrial level energy production without outside funding for regulation which, in turn, will allow them access to their mineral rich environments.

Assuming it is real it's not worth impoverishing untold numbers of people. We do not have the technology to stop our reverse it yet.

>oil
>dry up

Pick only one. Oil is produced by the earth naturally. Production will rise and fall but never be unfeasible.

The world is at its peak temperature in the global cycle of global warming and global cooling. We will see cooler temperatures from this point.

that's the point

Because they are a sovereign nation with a massive economy.

glue or physics?

Through out history the climate has changed in cycles its not man made its just part of the planets cycle. Climate change is a scam so liberals and failed scientists can squeeze money out of governments and citizens.

Their economy ain't shit. We even have to give away all our patents to them (America Invents Act) just to keep them afloat.

AGW is mostly a propaganda campaign to soften us up for more mass immigration.

Oil is not "produced" by the earth. It's a product of long term decay of organic matter.

> it's a Sup Forums is smarter than the average bear/climatologist episode

>NO FUCKING SOURCES FOR THE FUCKING CHARTS

>ukranian hrivnya coins

thier money got a purpose finally

There is proof that the earth is warming.
There is proof that carbon in the atmosphere is increasing.
There is proof that carbon can reflect sunlight.
But there is no proof that the majority of carbon in the atmosphere is mans nor is there proof that the reason the earth is warming is mostly from carbon in the atmosphere.

Eventually it won't be economically feasible.

I'm pretty sure the oil we're currently using was created all at once millions of years ago from a massive extinction event. This oil takes far longer to from than the rate that we're burning it.

The upside is to this is that we are liberating all the trapped bio-carbon underground into the air for the plants to breathe and grow vigorously.

"Climate change" is a hoax, their models lack prediction power thus are unscientific, their data is kept being readjusted to fit changing patterns, thus its outright fraud.
When you pay people only for one kind of result, you can't really expect them to deny the temptation to provide exactly that result.

This Thread is a graveyard of ignorance

>10 years ago "Oy Vey science says everyone In the first world stop having babies, listen here goyim climate change is real. You can save the planet."

>currently "Oy Vey goyim! Science says te birthrates are too low, you need migrants to breed with your women lower your boarders now goyim.

>10 years from now, "Oy Vey goyim all the mide east and Africa is unlivable except for Greater Israel, all the refugees need to migrate to the first world, you still need to lower your boarders goyim.

99% of scientists and more importantly climate scientists know that climate change is a fact

so i guess i'll go with the experts over a bunch of dipshits on Sup Forums. not exactly the hardest decision...

and i should further say that is is concerning how little respect you guys have for facts and evidence. it seems like you just believe whatever you're told to believe by other right-wing twats

And also produced abiotically.

Climate change is a thing.... a natural thing that is not man made. several thousand years of natural climate change is not going to be affected by 100 years of fossil fuel.

>facts and evidence
Climate whores pretending to be scientists are probably the main thing that makes me embarrassed to work in science.

That and all the government money. Or actually what really pisses me off is how fucking dumb and unscientific most scientists are.

1. It's real.

2. Humans are affecting it

3. CO2 is probably not the biggest factor

4. Land use changes such as deforestation, urbanisation (ie concreting the land) and agriculture are WAY more important factors.

5. It's impossible to control the climate

6. It will be easier and cheaper to adapt to a changing climate than it will be to make The Carbon Cycle illegal

7. Computer models and our ability to compute fluid dynamics on the scale of the planet are totally and wholly inadequate to model the earth's climate.

nope

Not like I give a fuck. My kids will have to deal with it, not me. Like I had to deal with the shit my parents left me.

physics

Thank you user that was very informative.

Even the most radical models show the long term affects of global warming not having serious implications on civilization until 50 years out. And that was before the CO2 + water vapor runaway feedback loop a lot of these models are based on was shown to be incorrect. wattsupwiththat.com/2016/08/03/ipcc-has-at-least-doubled-true-climate-sensitivity-a-demonstration/

If anything climate change is going to impact total available space while maintaining or increasing total liveable areas (warmer climates + co2 = higher crop yields and better Living conditions.)

Even recent peer reviewed articles by the IPCC agree that the cost of adapting to the affects of climate change will ultimately be less than the upfront costs to completely mitigate. rationaloptimist.com/blog/adapting-to-climate-change/

Does this mean we should start lighting coal mines on fire? No, but it also means the fear mongering rhetoric of climate scientists looking to extend their own funding should be taken with a grain of salt. We should enforce modern environmental standards on developing nations as they both benefit human health directly and reduce CO2 emissions, but when we start suggesting regulations on water vapor based on unreliable climate models you've swallowed too much of the kool-aid.

The only thing I think will be a serious issue for humans moving forward is salt water intrusion, but that is an issue mote affected by over pumping than sea level rise currently.

>5. It's impossible to control the climate
>ISHIGGYDIGGY
We will have a solution to climate change within the next 50 years. Not as bad as a problem as muzzies getting their hands on a nuclear weapon. It's real, and will primarily fuck over people in low sea level areas (coastlines, bye bye bangladesh) and in areas that suffer from droughts.

>look at me i'm smart. i attack others without contributing to the discussion in any way

>climate change
real, good and normal
>anthropogenic climate change
jewish pseudoscience

That doesn't stop us from levying massive sanctions against Russia.

I'll consider taking it seriously when the AGW proponents demand nuclear power. Toxic solar and bird choppers are not a suitable replacement for fossil fuels.

Wealth redistribution scam. Hand over the carbon shekels.

Thorium when?

The earth isn't even warning as fast as it did between 1600-1700, which was pre-industrial revolution.

It has much more to do with solar activity than it does with CO2 (not to say that it isn't a factor, but the controlling variable in warming is sun intensity)

That's an old theory with serious problems. Hydrocarbons demonstrably exist completely in the absence of living organisms, and do so inside the earth. Old oil fields that are supposed to be tapped are full again, that doesn't happen if you need millions of years of dead animals to make it.

We can definitely manage aspects of the climate, and better prepare ourselves for the more extreme events it produces, but we can't control the climate.

You underestimate the nature of the beast that is climate. Look up chaos theory and complexity.

>Old oil fields that are supposed to be tapped are full again, that doesn't happen if you need millions of years of dead animals to make it.

Source?

I'm not so sure that these oilfields been "refilled." I think it's just that we have better technology to extract the resources that were previously unreachable our unknown.

joannenova.com.au/2010/02/the-big-picture-65-million-years-of-temperature-swings/
CLIMATE CHANGERS BTFO

here ya go

The 97% consensus paper put out by the IPCC was refuted and taken down, which is where the media got this quote from. It didn't stop them from spreading the headline though. climatechangedispatch.com/97-articles-refuting-the-97-consensus/

Don't believe everything you read in the papers, academia is not untied in their consensus. And even if they were an argument from consensus is a logical fallacy and shouldn't have any sway in your opinion. 99% of scientists also believed the earth was 4000 years old and at the center of the universe at one point.

this

Ok.

There are time lags that havent fully been seen.

This combined with:

Population growth
Infinite economic growth models
Energy demands
Resource/soil/biodiversity degradation

Counter argument: "The planet has warmed before and we alone can not account for the majority of the negative climate affects"

The milankovitch cycle is real and we are supposed to be "cooling". I wont play devils advocate and say that warming the planet is a good thing, but the rate at which we are doing it is too fast.

We need to ask real tough ethical questions about our daily consumption.

>What is the impact of eating hamburgers?
>Can people walk more (better city design)?
>Does everyone have the right to own land (a house)...and forever?
>Is there a need for environmental justice to be given to those in the undeveloped world that have been exploited for us (1st world0?
>What animals (keystone?) are worth protecting.
>What ecosystems are worth protecting?
>Do ecosystems have value and rights?

This.

Its freaky to those of us who remember what the weather was actually like 20 years ago.

It was not unusual for an occasional snow storm in October. We didn't always get a "white christmas" but you could never get away with wearing a hoodie and jeans in january unless you wanted to freeze your balls off.

I think the majority of the US population is just too terrified to admit that the climate is going to shit faster than we projected, or at least faster than the projections we were given in childhood.

Thank you user, that was helpful

We're having the coldest winter in over 20 years where I live. Supposedly having a low of -12 on wednesday and a high of around 8 all week. Global warming is bullshit. I feel like it was realized that global warming was bullshit because of this shit. So then "climate change" was invented to explain it. Why was this shit created? Were people upset about the oil companies making too much money? Is it just greed and jealousy that invented this imaginary liberal issue?

Are you saying we didn't get a bit of a wiggle of the jet stream well in advance of Christmas this year with everybody crying uncle over a few days of cold? What if that were to hit during Christmas instead?

The narrative would adapt to fit the given conclusions again. I bet you don't even know when the gulf stream stopped or why.

: )

Leftist:
Global cooling - not happening
Runaway global warming - not happening
Climate change - to cover all bases

I live in the north east the past three winters here have been colder than I ever remembered as a child. The Delaware River froze over compelately the past three years which is also something that never happenned.

It really depends where you are, the moral of the story is climate models are shit and any decent climate scientist will admit this to you.

This is far from a discussion.

>I live in the north east the past three winters here have been colder than I ever remembered as a child.

how old are you?

I live in Scotland and our recent winters have been very warm and mild (by recent I mean the last 15 years).

my parents and grandparents tell me how we used to be frozen solid nearly every winter

That is far from an argument

I watched a squirrel this morning. This disproves evolution.

I just farted three times in a row and each one was a note higher so it was like a ceescendo of some sort

No wonder there was a fucking Canadian in on inventing carbon trading.

If it is happening, which it could be, the current elites are only using it for an excuse to raise taxes and not fixing it.

>1. It's real.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

((((jews))))
there op, a fresh and unexpected view

ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/spmsspm-projections-of.html

Although I do not have the training or education to make the determination solely on my own, I have placed my trust in people that do have that sort of background. I'm trying not to look at the issue through a political lens, but rather, what sort of environment I want to leave for our descendants. I don't think man is entirely responsible for climate change, I think it's partially due to natural causes. BUT - where we can reduce our environmental impact, we should try to do so.

>IPCC
They're still talking about the Rachel Metzler Panel for International Climate Justice?

Even after the Copenhagen Treaty?

So you think the Earth's climate has always been the same as it is today?

That the Earth's climate changes over time is the least controversial aspect of the debate around it.

27, but this in America. It's a recent phenomenon that appeared called a "polar vortex shift" where the wind patterns shift and suck the cold air from the north down over the whole northeast for a month or two. It's started in late January through early February the past few years.

It's really cool though, I even got ice skates for the first time in my life since the lakes are thick enough to skate on now. There's a 30 some mile canal near me you can skate the length of.

It was so bad in Boston they needed a snow melting machine because they couldn't deal with the amount of snow they got last year. m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snow-removal-boston-northeast/42028195

>is it real?
Yes

>do humans contribute?
Probably

>is the US the worst offender?
Hell no

>will the US be able to prevent developing industrial nations from polluting freely?
Nope

>is it worth prioritizing over economic, immigration, and defense issues?
Hell fucking no

These Lisa-Simpson tier undergrad environmentalists need to shut the fuck up already. I bet not one of you fuckers can tell me how your city's criteria air pollutants stack up against the NAAQS. While you're at it, tell me when's the last time you've seen a smoke stack or open-air dump? Where are your nearest three CERCLA superfund sites?

Take this hippy climate change shit to an upper-division environmental engineering/management class and people will think you're literally retarded.

This, we fix the ocean we fix the climate. The climate is a symptom, not the disease.

You forgot, 1970-global cooling isn't real

Neato, that sounds like my childhood winters here.
Here in Scotland we are being affected by a warmer gulf stream that is pulling in more wet atlantic weather systems than it used to.

In the past our winters were dominated by arctic weather (like the polar vortex you have described) coming from the north.

You need to put a caveat of "where we can REASONABLY reduce our environmental impact we should"

I work cleaning up industrial waste sites and I'd wager 90% of the standards we set are just ridiculous (especially ecological risk standards, some of them are set lower than commercially available lab equipment can measure). There are real risks, which is what keeps me interested in the field, but alot of the time I know it's just a huge waste of time and money for everyone involved.

This is what I was actually trying to say.

Climate change, together with declining fish stocks and depleted soil and aquifers, was caused by overpopulation. Distant second place is taken by selfish government officials and businessmen who didn't think beyond the current financial quarter.

It could be reversed long ago, but now it's too late, and unless measures to combat overpopulation are implemented, modern civilization will collapse.

Why did Obama fire his top scientist for stating that anthropogenic climate change is false then?

I think it is a definitely real thing, no denying it. I also think it is a natural process that humans likely contribute to. The degree that we contribute is really up for debate but none of that matters.

I love global warming. Every year global warming gets more severe is a year Saudi Arabia and the surrounding shitholes get closer to being a giant fucking frying pan. I heard they hit 145 last summer. I want to see 200+ in my lifetime. Fuck that entire region.

tl;dr: global warming is fucking awesome

I got a NPL site like three miles from my house. One of the worst hex chrome plumes in the country. Thankfully no one has well water within it.

m.digitaljournal.com/article/266424

134 is the highest recorded temp and it was in Death Valley.

Also it was almost 100 years ago and is still unbeaten.

So "climate change" isn't doing shit.

A distraction being pushed by the Jews to keep us from looking in their direction. This ain't conspiracy theory nonsense, take a critical look at who is leading climate activist groups and who is pushing it in academia and politics. Quite a lot of shekelbergsteinowitzes, a suspiciously high number of them one might say.

I think it's real, and I'm terrified because even if we went completely green, China and India wouldn't, so we'd still be fucked

>I think it's real, and I'm terrified.
Power of Media.