Should transgenderism by treated like a mental illness by western governments?

Should transgenderism by treated like a mental illness by western governments?

It's not like homosexuality which is a sexual preference. It's linked to body dismorphia and other diseases yet there seems to be no research into correcting it.

What stance should the government or society take?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HsW9bo0AGIE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aye, it should be treated... with a bullet to the skull.

Yes it is a mental illness and we should look upon these people with empathy not hatred, we don't hate people with autism or Down syndrome, we help them

society should fuck off and leave these people be

also transexuals are based and redpilled fuck off back to r/TheDonald

The snowflakes wont let anything slide against trans people now. We're in too deep

Should homosexuality by treated like a mental illness by western governments?

It's not like heterosexuality which is a sexual preference. It's linked to body degeneracy and other diseases yet there seems to be no research into correcting it.

What stance should the government or society take?

>Should transgenderism by treated like a mental illness by western governments?

yes

Treat tranny-ism like the highly contagious mental illness it is.

Quarantine existing trannies by rounding them up and putting them in camps.

End all "gender studies" classes and shut down all "gender clinics" for kids.

Ban sites promoting tranny-ism from the internet and media. We wouldn't have shows promoting anorexia. Shut down Tumblr.

Stop recognizing any change of birth certificate in law.

Deregister any doctor who does sex change operations and ban cross sex hormones as addictive drugs of abuse.

Homosexuality isn't a totally unnecessary surgical and hormonal impersonation of the opposite sex which invades women's privacy and confuses kids.

If they can't figure out their sex, they sure aren't able to figure out the complexity of life. We should help these people, much as we do with any other mentally challenged person.

>tfw no feminine femis tranny gf

Yes and the prescribing of hormone therapy to them needs to end. I'll settle for making it illegal to do so for children under 18. These people need antidepressants, antipsychotics, and cognitive behavioural therapy.

Yes

It was treated as a mental illness... until sjws got involved.

Do nothing, have no policy, give no attention, maybe clear some space for them to have a tantrum and tire themselves out.

Give it ten years for the fad to clear and you'll be down to and incidence of maybe 1 or 2 percent quietly seeking treatment.

CBT isn't going to do shit for these people. If you really wanted to take a serious swing at fixing whats underneath the hood on trans folks you're going to need more than 12-20 sessions from a manual.

JOHN

I'm Transgendered. I'm in full boymode right now, and a lot of Sup Forums users think I should stay like that. I have a job, a house, no girlfriend though, but I want to be happy. If it can be cured, I want to be cured. I want to be cured of this. I didn't ask to be like this. Imagine you were in the body of the opposite sex, how uncomfortable you'd feel. Right now, I'd give anything to be the opposite sex; but if there was a cure instead, I'd happily take the cure. It's a chore to go out with my friends, a chore to even drink or smoke. Life is a chore, and all i wish is that I could live without feeling constantly fatigued by life.

> DELET THIS

This picture makes me sad OP, Cosmo was one of if not THE best speedrunner to ever live and he fucked it all up and now just whines about muh discrimination.

Look in to help for depression/anxiety, user. That's the place to start.

A FUCKING LEAF

but really though, I wish more of these fucks could understand that the majority are in a position similar to yours.

Why would I feel uncomfortable in the opposite body? Id just be a woman and act differently.

homosexuality is also a mental illness

For the sake of argument, could you define "illness" and "health?"

Just accept yourself you stupid cunt. You aren't in the wrong body. It's all about stereotypes. You'll never be happy impersonating the opposite sex.

>DELETE THIS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It is a mental disorder. It's a form of body Dysmorphia and should be treated accordingly.

>Should transgenderism by treated like a mental illness by western governments?

Not sure to what extent I want governments treating mental illness one way or another.

Put it this way -- it should not be treated differently form other, similarly not-actively-dangerous-to-the-guy-soitting-near-you-on-the-bus mental illnesses.

"Mental illness" is a condition which causes serious disorder in a person's behaviour or thinking. Being mentally healthy means that the definition does not apply to you.

Homosexuality is a disorder which is likely a defect acquired in prenatal development. Not being attracted to the opposite gender is like a psychological impotence. The population which consists of individuals that show exclusive homosexual behaviour will die out in one generation.

>It's not like homosexuality which is a sexual preference.
Good fucking jewish meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=HsW9bo0AGIE
HER SINGING IS SO BEAUTIFUL

You're essentially using the term to define itself when you describe mental illness as a disorder in behavior or thinking. Defining health, something which ought to be an ideal, only in the negative puts you on dangerous ground. What is the proper order? Are we to envision a norm or an ideal? Who gets to decide?

Its all fun and games until the other side takes the reins of power. The same structures which define a deviance you dislike as mental illness can, and eventually will, fall into the hands of your ideological enemies. At that point conservatism or racism becomes a "serious disorder in a person's behavior or thinking."

first part is right but it can turn women into sluts when they make friends with gays and it absolutely confuses children.
This, plus once you legally "change gender" your birthday resets. So you have to live 18 years as your "new self" before you can vote again.

Kinda sounds like Green Day

FUCKING

agree with everything except the camp. We can just let these people be, but not promoting such behaviour

No, I'm using the definition as presented by the psychologists. You are right that it leaves much to be desired, but so does the whole psychology.

We are not talking about "health", but "mental health" which are different concepts.

>Are we to envision a norm or an ideal?
In this case? Yes. Its normal to be attracted to the opposite gender, its a nature's way to get you to reproduce. If we all were homosexual, the humanity would die out.

I do see your point, but I don't want to get all philosophical about it. Right now, I'm talking about homosexuality. My argument was not constructed to incorporate much wider picture.

NUMBERS

Yes.It's degeneracy.Every kind of faggot should be gassed

Americans have a very unhealthy take on transgenderism, they supply sex change operations in their student loan package in certain universities.
You're basically telling kids going through a phase
>Hey kid, it's not so bad, just have a life changing operation you're not sure of because soon you'll be working and you're too old and/or won't have the money but we can give it to you
It's basically forcing kids to give in to suicide on the long term speaking
It's unnatural and evil i m o

There is no single definition presented by psychologists. This is an active, open area of debate in both psychology and psychiatry. The question of how to diagnose, and how much of a role society should have in defining what is treated, is a major battleground.

When you start defining mental illness as deviations from the norm you give psychologists, who are overwhelmingly left leaning, an enormous amount of power. You're saying that you are comfortable with social norms being defined by exactly the same people who fought to normalize homosexuality and are currently fighting to normalize transgender experiences.

You might not want to get philosophical, but you need to. You need to realize that your values, the idea that sex and attraction exist for procreation, are values which would be considered fringe by the people who will be deciding what counts as mental illness.

I've spent probably 300 hours in the last decade sitting at various conventions. I subscribe to eight different journals. I'm a shrink and I work with other shrinks. You don't want us deciding what is normal and treating whatever we deem abnormal.

>we wouldnt have shows promoting anorexia
Except all those cartoons with noodle people and the fact barbie still exists.

I'm not a psychologist, so I believe you know what you are talking about. You've clearly given me some food for thought and I found myself agreeing with you on more than a few points.

What I'm fighting against is political corectness. I'm not saying we should shock gays and give power to the people you mentioned. I simply do not want us to censor science, because it hurts someone's feelings. Homosexuals are just a tip of the iceberg. I still believe its unnatural, but being gay is essentially harmless unless you are a raging faggot.

This, however, brings me to the question posed by the OP. As for the transexuals, I believe we should start searching for a cure rather than funding those horrendous mutilations called sex reassignment surgeries. And I didn't even mention paedophilia or necrophilia.

I just wan't the people to stop adopting the "we are just a different colours of the rainbow" stance. Some mental states are simply not natural, those are harmful and should not be encouraged.

I would be pretty comfortable. Humans are highly adaptive species and being upset with own self every time is counterproductive. Sex and gender doesn't define me as me. I would be myself if I was born a girl, nigger or manlet.

If you can't find peace with yourself and accept yourself as you are, you should see a doctor. Maybe for some people like you pretending being someone else is the best treatment and option and it will increase the quality of your life and prolong your life till you actually decide to end yourself

Transgenderism isn't so much a mental illness in and of itself, but rather it is a SYMPTOM of mental illness. Just like wanting to self harm is a symptom or smearing shit everywhere in public is a symptom.

>I believe we should start searching for a cure

Should we start from defining how someone can naturally feel born a male/female and how can someone feel naturally heterosexual?

I'm personally of the opinion it's part of humanity trying to rattle itself free of nature. Because when you get down to it humans are hideous apes. And it's hard to maintain any sort of aesthetic purity. As you age you're going to end up as a hideous bald blob in constant physical pain as you slowly rot away.

It's easy to say trans folk are freaks while you're young, but time's a bitch. Good luck feeling comfortable with yourself as age ravages you. Your teeth are going to go. And your hair. And your eyes. And your skin. And you're going to get another neck as your skin loses elasticity. And then you'll start to stink no matter what you do simply because your insides are actively malfunctioning against you.

>Should we start from defining how someone can naturally feel born a male/female

Pull off your pants and look down, if you see a penis, you are male, if you see a vagina, you are female. How we should feel about ourselves and what our social roles should be is derived from our sex. If you suffer, because you feel like the opposite gender even though you clearly aren't. If you'd be willing to cut off your penis just to get closer to the gender "you were meant to be", there is clearly something wrong with you. If someone believes they are the reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte, they are labeled crazy, yet if someone thinks they are of opposite gender, its suddenly completely natural and normal.