Who else fell for the STEM meme?

>everyone tells me to go for STEM degree
>they say it doesn't matter which one, all stem degrees are better than non-stem
>graduate with 3.8 gpa physicist degree
>almost no jobs
>almost no $ for jobs available

Meanwhile
>brother was education major
>didn't have to work hard in school
>instantly found work
>will retire with pension
>making more money than me
>doesn't have to continue beyond graduate degree to find a good job

Please if any of you are just starting college, think hard about your degree choice

do you live in a rural area? I have a mechanical engineering degree and I found a job instantly; it could be because I live in a built up area though

I've ultimately decided on geography. GIS is suppose to be useful in the job market. I'm borderline retarded in math so science and math degrees are very unrealistic for me.

NYC
Sounds like a meme degree, where do you love?

Live

doing a physics and stopping at the undergrad level is dumb.

For any other major you will be fine.
rural areas all around the world are kill.
There is no point for an educated and ambitious person to stay in a rural area.

cucked southern california ):

geography degrees seem to be not that common so i'm hoping it'll set me apart from others on the job market despite it being a liberal arts degree

Physicist is so theoretical though. I'm doing computer science at the moment, feels like there's plenty of jobs waiting, could we wrong though.

>Treating STEM as a golden goose

This is how liberal arts fags treat all higher education.

I don't get why people here complain about STEM so much. Everyone I know who has graduated with a STEM degree got a well paid job within a few weeks.

>2.8 GPA Computer Science
>Find job right away 50k
>Switch jobs twice in 3 years
>Now making 94k and raise incoming
>Low cost of living in Indiana
>Have house and nice car, will have house paid off in 5-6 years, no debt other than house

Ya STEM blows I barely work 35 hours

Unless you are extremely well connected or go to a real nice school and spend all of your time becoming well connected instead of studying, finding a well paying entry level job is mostly a coin flip no matter what your field is.

Like everything in life, all that matters is who you know.

I had a 3.9 double major in accounting and finance and spent two years making $12 an hour being a secretary, until a friend forwarded me a resume to a decent job where I make $26 an hour doing well respected, low stress work. Even that was a major coin flip and luck, if I didn't get this job my life would be pretty much over right now and I'd be stuck making $12 for the rest of my life.

So, if you have no connections, don't bother going to school. OP, your best chance is to go into a masters program and network like crazy, 24/7. Join every frat, do any internship, kiss professor ass, join all the after school groups, and you should find a job if you aren't too old already.

Physicist learn Machine Learning $$$$$.

You probably went to a state school.
protip;
finance program at Indiana State =/= finance program at NYU/any other private east coast school.

I am sadly in the reverse situation, where I am studying earth science at a prestigious-ish East coast school, when all the good earth science schools are middle-tier state school in the West.

But that hasn't ruined my future, all you have to do is talk to profs email places with opportunities and pursue something you actually like.

What does an accounting major even say in an email.
>I find the theory and applications of double entry book keeping and amortization calculation so fascinating I would love to pursue this interest at XYZ brokerage firm

You chose a major that signals you sold out your soul, don't expect it to be an easy ride to phat stacks of cash.

You are competing against a lot of other people who made the same decision and you have no edge over them because you don't find the subject interesting.

>be nursing major
>hired at a major hospital literally 2 months before even graduating
>manager that hired me checked on me constantly making sure i was still coming to work for them
>70k/yr + hot damn the fucking benefits

Lol STEM nerds hows it feel to be outdone by the superior medical master race

>prostrating before degenerate bro clubs and sitting in front of the class with all the renditions laughing everytime the prof open his mouth

No thanks.

Redditors not renditions

Graduating with a physics degree and can't find a job...... LOL

It's just you.

Physics grads have the ability to pursue any career and do it well.

WTF do you expect to do in NYC with a degree in Physics?

Get yourself to an actual research city.

How?

>Get yourself to an actual research city.
Throw a name out there.

>3.2 GPA Mech Engineer Degree and still no job after more than half a year.

I fucking hate this shit

Our tech companies are desperately looking for young, educated workers, because many fall for the (((humanities))) meme.

Brother graduated in electrical engineering with a 3.0 from Penn State and has been having trouble finding a job, even just entry level. He's taking the FE exam this month in hopes that it will bring him more opportunity. Anyone have experience with better job prospects after taking this exam?

We live in Philadelphia, PA btw

Santa Fe New Mexico

>>almost no jobs
>>almost no $ for jobs available

That has nothing to do with your degree, but with you.

Isn't GIS a shit-ton of math? Algorithms to make sense of satellite data etc.

.2 GPA Mech Engineer Degree and still no job after more than half a year.
>I fucking hate this shit
Apply for a job in Germany, if you have a degree from a good university and are a capable engineer.

The biggest problem the German economy is currently facing is not "refugees" but a lack of engineers DESPITE Germany having by far the highest turnout of high skilled engineers from universities and through the alternative engineering training routes in the OECD.

>Masters in Electrical Engineering
>Graduate position in asset management
>£44k starting

STEM is pretty good if you actually put effort into getting internships and work experience.

Where are you searching? Are you looking local or are you willing to move?

>everyone Is told to go to university from a young age
>follow the herd
>get oversaturated degree
>because..... Lol I'll figure it out later

This is why you go into a full-time job oriented program in college first

A. You went to a shit-tier state school
B. You didn't get a masters/doctorate
C. You didn't take any decent internships
D. You are b8ing hard

STEM isn't a meme, as long as you don't think you can just be a scientist. Someone with just a physics degree is about as useful as someone with a gender studies degree.

Comp sci, most types of engineering, medical sciences will all get you jobs. Physics? Not without postgraduate study in a specialty that's actually important.

When some ones says STEM has good job prospects they mean TE. The other two are worthless abstractions.

>STEM meme

The STEM meme meme is a meme. Should just be TEM meme. Putting a bachelors in biology beside computer science or engineering is a lie.

I don't speak German though. I hate myself for not taking an international engineering minor that would've had me study there

>almost no jobs
>almost no $ for jobs available

lol, wut?

>graduate with poly sci degree
>be poorfag artist wannabe for few years
>learn to program
>wat to do with all this money?

pretty much this

the only pre req for the class was intermediate algebra but i did take statistics already so i'm hoping i can just skip that

Creating GIS software is not the same as using it.

Not an Ameriburger so no prices in dollars or GPA but

>Learn CompSci bachelors level
>Haven't finished 2nd year and get offered an intersnhip already
>3 months into paid internship get accepted pernamently - earning 2x the average national salary and can live quite comfortably, stashing away enough eurobucks that I will be able to buy a decent appartment in less than 3 years (or a house in 6-7 years).

STEM is love, STEM is life

all my other mechatronics bachelors got the first offer while finishing the bachelor thesis with ~40-45k€

>picking a science over engineering

you deserve everything you got user, i just finished up an aerospace degree at a mid-good tier university and soon im flying to silicon valley to start my new job

go do a masters in statistical analysis and you'll be 1000% more employable

>I don't speak German though.
Irrelevant for engineers in Germany. You can work in Germany speaking English and maybe learn a few German words.

wew

>MSc. in Computer Science
>Comfy 40 hr/wk consulting job at large international technology company
>Top tier salary

STEM is not a meme, OP. It's just that tech companies don't want to hire antisocial autists, just like every other company

Currently half way through my Comp sci masters, doing my 2nd internship at the same time (first was over summer). A toast to our success!

>tfw too old(25) to get a STEM degree

Nah, I'm an Elec Engi. Guys like me need guys like you to code the things that make the things we come up with run. It's a huge in-demand area RN.

>tells me to go for STEM degree
>>they say it doesn't matter which one, all stem degrees are better than non-stem
>>graduate with 3.8 gpa physicist degree
>>almost no jobs
>>almost no $ for jobs available
lol what school did you go to?

>tfw fell for the STEM meme
>school paying for semester and now about to have the state pay for school too
>going to graduate debt free
Also, your mistake was going for a physic degree.

Being an antisocial autist hasn't really held me back in tech desu.

which company do you work for? out of interest
I'm assuming you're in london

>STEM is not a meme, OP. It's just that tech companies don't want to hire antisocial autists, just like every other company

This. STEM is where the money is in continental Europe. STEM and maybe medicine (if you don't count medicine as STEM).

Law and social sciences are fucked up.

Threads like these always make me kek.

Don't you stupid faggots know that WHERE you go to school is just as important as WHAT you major in?

Do tell unemployed losers which ITT tech strip mall location you got your """STEM""" degree from?

Architectural Engineer here. It is helpful to look into the industry you are studying to become a professional in and make sure there is a market before you blame STEM.

You don't want to be a faggot educator - shit is for complete dopes. But, getting a degree in some useful engineering field would of helped. It is the E in STEM. Purdy much the only one with good jobs, Pajeets and chinks dominate "Tech" because they will work for peanuts and rice.
Math?
Science?
All depends on what you are getting yourself into - what useful skills you develop and what networks you build decide your fucking career.

In what world is that too old? Most people never transition to a good career, why give up less than a decade into your working life?

>physicist degree

>M.Sc. in Electrical Engi.
>Gov't job, making almost 80K/year.
>Will retire with pension.
>Can go get PhD if I want, for free.

Life is good.

Your mistake was going straight physics and stopping without an advanced degree. Need to supplement that with either dual major engi degree or get a M.Sc.

what i had many 25 years old ones even 3-4 over 30, better a bit late than never

>CS degree from a meh school
>slightly above average GPA
>out of school for 1.5 years, already making 6 figures

Should have gone for CS. Everything else in STEM is cuckold meme tier.

>Law and social sciences are fucked up.

With the exception of patent law...those motherfuckers make bank.

M&G

I'm starting work this autumn, still finishing up my masters.

I was thinking about being a patent lawyer.
I wonder how hard it is to become one?

Nice try non-STEMfag

>Be STEM
>Have internship paying me 21.50/hr

>business degree with technology concentration
>slacked off in college and almost got kicked out twice
>graduate with 2.5 gpa
>no internships
>multiple job offers before graduation
>constant raises and promos after first job
>can work flexible hours including WFH, no stress
>tfw fell for the STEM meme

From what I've seen/heard in the UK, patent law is one of the few law disciplines that only hire people from engineering degrees and then train them in law.

They tend to want people from "prestigious" universities.

It's a pain, but typically if you go undergrad stem, pre-law minor, and jump to law school, it's not too bad. I've got a friend my age (25) who's doing it now. She lives in CA and would start out at like 125K a year.

>for free
They don't pay you to get a PHD?
They do here.

Socially awkward autist, dropped out of school, went back, got Comp Sci from a mediocre university, walked into a job the week after finishing uni on a salary higher than the UK average. Moving to my second job now for a nice salary increase (was at first for 1 1/2 years), to a much lower cost area (mostly house prices) which is high % white, rural. Actually moving back to where I grew up for 14 years and I can afford a nice house there already, I just turned 25. Also software dev jobs are comfy as fuck. So, from my point of view STEM turned out alright

Take a couple years and get your Masters degree for teaching. Then become a STEM teacher, you'll make good money raising the next generation of fools that fall for STEM.

t. Electrical Engineer watching saturation pull the whole profession down

They do, but there's a service commitment. You can either do what I'm doing and go part time, still advance, and have a lower time commitment, or you can go full time, you don't advance while you're in school, and you get paid full salary/benefits while you're in, and it's a 3:1 time commitment at the end.

>Degree in EE
>Never earnt more than minimum wage
>Been NEET for over a year

Just fuck my shit up.

how does saturation pull it down? surely the more competitive the the industry will mean only the best and most qualified get jobs

financial services in the UK is saturated as fuck, but we're one of the best in the world

lol,
then you just know engineering faggots.

Because if you have a math or a physics degree in Austria, you can go fuck yourself.

Just get a programming job.

oh ok then.
I hope your government job outlives and improves after Obonga, user.

Just finishing my M.Sc. In EE. I'm thinking about moving to the US. You know where to look for work besides the Bay Area? I did an internship there but I didn't really like being surrounded by chinks, pajeets and tacos.

It doesn't do much. Being a PE will establish his credentials to testify as an expert witness in court. After a few years of industry experience, if he's willing to sell his soul, he can make side-bucks as a defense witness in civil cases. Most companies don't care about it anymore.

Lads should I go for Civil Engineering? I'm thinking of doing that and then going for a masters in project management

I've also considered Chemical Engineering but I feel like I might kill myself from overstressing if I do that lmao

It will. If anything it'll get better. DoD shits ftw.

Depends. What's your focus area? Massachusetts has a lot. Texas is also pretty god-tier. Very focus area dependent though.

Do you like to drink and pour concrete? If so, being a civie might be for you.

ChemE is a lot more useful and lucrative, but it's fuckloads harder. Arguably the toughest engi discipline.

You should have gone with STEAM instead of STEM.

STEM produces jobs mostly suited for us introverted basement dwellers. Sup Forums likes them because it makes us feel superior to majors that require critical thinking beyond memorizing and applying formulas.

>Masters in EECS
>Trendy "tech consultant" job
>8 hours plus daily
>barely make 10,000 usd per year

No, those willing to take lower pay for longer hours get hired. I've witnessed it since the early 90's especially in the big Fortune 100 companies. A few leftover experienced engineers and crowds of recent grads that only hang around for a few years.

>Libs adding Art to STEM

lol, that's pretty much every degree then

>STEM pleb here
My degree's shit; my debt and consequentially my aspirations to jump on a one-way flight are high. My degree's only use may be to help me migrate elsewhere.

I hope my degree pays off and I get a well paying job, but who the fuck am I kidding.

>£44k starting

How are you earning so little with a masters in EE?

Yep. It's cuz they feel bad. "Lyke, our gender studies degrees are just as valid as your engineering degrees! Quit being skill-ist."

>Meme
I raked in over £10k after taxes last month as an IT contractor and only work around 20 hours a week.

>east coast
>two year college degree, certs
>work in infosec
>95k a year starting
>had to delete my info off of dice due to being inundated with job offers

you tell me, i don't even have to look at another human being and never get sick at the office

>Physicist

You should've gone into finance

>She
>125K a year.

Probably sleeps herself to her first job. Anyway, 125K in the US for a first year associate is week. In NYC, it is 180K first year salary for lawyers in corporate law.

The problem with law is, it has no future. There are too many lawyers and too little to do.

>Changed programs three times
Thank god I live in Finland

civil is joke-tier engineer discipline - i took one joint mech/aerospace/civil class and all the civils needed extra support

they can't derive or understand shit, all they do is plug numbers into formulas.

i guess its good because you can be a retard and still pass, but all other engineers will look down on you

It's possible depending on focus, cost of living in the area, GPA, and ability to negotiate. Also, there's the question of if that's gross or net.

I have a 3.8 GPA in chemistry but I don't feel like my school is preparing me well enough. I'll enter my senior year now though, so I'll see if they teach me some good stuff and if I can keep the 3.8 GPA up.

I'm 18 btw

Sup Forums likes them because they can pay off their student loans rather than demanding the taxpayers give $100,000 in loan forgiveness to the idiot who got a degree in Mongolian Fat Studies.

t. Murse

WHO ELSE SLIDES WITH THE SAME 4 TOPICS