Probably nobody from my family was a conqueror or a tercio soldier

>Probably nobody from my family was a conqueror or a tercio soldier.
Just like you.
>No vikings
>No roman soldier
>No cool celtic warriors
> Your family probably was a bunch of fagg farmers.

You are wellcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ygwgX8H3S0
books.google.com/books?id=jxqdnKQrAmEC&pg=PA69&dq=napoleonic warfare bayonet&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN7ub9x7PRAhWRZiYKHY5QB4cQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=napoleonic warfare bayonet&f=false
books.google.com.tr/books?id=NkW8AAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA29&pg=PA29&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whats the matter pedro

Just saying, little ahmed

>tfw your ancestor fought in the american revolution

Feels good man

>fag farmers
pfft

Nigger, we have a Civil War cavalry officer's sabre from one of my relatives... too bad he fought for the wrong side.

Weren't most soldiers recruited in these past militaries from farming families? I know for a fact I have ancestors who fought in the American Civil War

>Descended from Chieftains.
Get on my level Juan

Ha say what you want, my granddad was a paralegal in the AirForce!!

Too bad. I'm actually talking about real soldiers, not that bullshit. I also had one relative fighting in the Hispano-American war. Holding a rifle is not the same that holding an axe or a spear.
Sorry m8s...

Well, actually, as I said, one relative of mine had to go to Cuba because he didn't have enough money to pay. ( If you didn't pay, then you went to the war ). But as far as I know, ''Tercios'' were voluntieer soldiers.

>lol kek ur dad didnt even die for the jews?
kys we should have warred with rats instead

>ITT: fags take personal pride in the forefathers accomplishments
doesn't mean a damn thing if you won't conquer some shit later today if you could. If you posses the spirt to remain steadfast through adversity and die for your beliefs than. Your ancestors will smile on you , I know mine are smileing on me , can you say the same, imperial

All I know is that almost all us beaners had a Conquistador ancestor

I have soldiers on both sides, and sailors. I think it's rare for people in coastal families in England to not have some warrior ancestor. When you go inland you stop being England, in my opinion.

>tfw Hussar master race

My family has viking kings in it, pretty much everybody's family will have somebody of note in it if you go back far enough in the tree, problem is few civilizations kept good records.

Trace the origins of your family name. If it is noble then warfare confirmed. My family name descends from basically the lowest level of German nobility. Good chance some soldiering went on in Holy Roman Empire days

And yet nearly every Mexican is likely the descendant of conquistadors.

We Moncrieffes have been warriors for all of time. God rest the soul of the enemy who faced one of us in battle, WAR MACHINES!!!!
Sir John Moncreiffe the twelfth Laird and chief of Clan Moncreiffe was made Baronet of Nova Scotia in April 1626.[2] However John was unable to support the king and signed the National Covenant in 1638.[2] His son also called John personally raised a company of the King's Scots Guards by warrant of Charles II of England in 1674

Maybe a long time ago, our great great great.. ( well.. you know.. ) were shooting each other, my british friend!

James Nourse Burchfield

Served in the Spanish-American War
23-APR-1898 to 15-DEC-1898

2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry, Company F

What was your ancestor's credentials? Do you know where he fought?

Actually, my family "by the sword" (father->his father->his father and so on) comes from minor nobility family, there is even some old "estate" home in me distant family. In Poland minor royal titles were given mainly to veteran soldiers that served long enough and took part in many battles.
Pic: coat of arms of the major royal family my ancestors were vassals to.

Polish Hessian descendant, you're welcome Austria and central Europe.

Yeah most Soldiers did not have long life spans (disease mostly) so they procreated less. Fagg farmers procreated more. Therefore it is likely that most of our relatives were farmers. However, the fag part also inhibits procreation so you are likely wrong there.

God damn. I'm afraid I don't. All I know he fought also in 1898 and his name was Joan Amadó i Gisbert. He came back to Spain.

Pay attention to Sup Forums. If I ever find something about him, I'll post a thread m8, hopeing ( or hoping, idc ) I find you. ^^

>Holding a rifle is not the same that holding an axe or a spear.
Prior to WWII, rifles were primarily spears that could shoot a couple times.

Imagine fuck ass huge globs of lead wizzing past your head just before you go in for the parry thrust against a red coat.

>Sorry m8s...
Fag.

My great great grandfather had fought for Texas independence against Mexico, and then another war against Mexico.. His son served in the Confederate army along with his slave from Virginia until the Confederacy collasped. I am pretty sure my ancestors would had been from Spain.

>Great great grandfather sells property and moves to USA somewhere around 1904
>Works there and sends money back to Lithuania to my great grandfather - Theodore
>Theodore saves up the money and buys hectares of land
>OH SHIT NIGGER HERE COMES COMMUNISM
>Land taken away
>Theodore becomes a drunk ass
>Dies
>Fast forward to 1990
>Lithuania becomes independent
>Dad tries to get the land back
>Land registered to - nobody
>Manges to find old witnesses to prove that it belonged to my dad's grandfather since there are no documents
>Can't reclaim land since there is a town built on that land
>Goverment offers stocks instead
>Surewhynot
>Dad later sells it and gets around 200k LTL
>Spends it all to get a house built
>The house I was born in

Maybe my family had no conquerors or soldiers but at least not drunk peasants. Anyone else have any old family stories to share?

keep trying.

there werent much bayonet battle in ww1 as well, mostly sit in trenches and shoot at enemy.

>>No roman soldier

But my Italian ancestors had ancient Roman names.

That feel when every bloke in my family going back hundreds of years did mad shit in the Army including myself.

Top Bants.

Tercio strategy is pretty cool

>If you come at me, you die by pike, if you don't, you die by musket

Ay gg.

If he went to San Juan our grandfathers may have shot at eachother. :DDDD

My great grandfather was a duke
My ancestors were at Lepanto

Actually I'm descended from William The Conquerer and his sons, in also descended from Sir John Hayden who was around in like 1589

Why is the sky blue?

Until you crossed over no man's land. Then it was bombs and bayonets and shovels and fists.

Not to mention family that fought in the revolution, civil war, WWII, and Korea

The wrong side being the North?

>Spanish intellectuals

My forefather was a farmer turned Carolean. He made it back and fucked a bitch and now I sit here shitposting live from New Somalia a couple of hundred years later

If you go back far enough I was part of the crew that mapped and chartered South America

>mfw my Portuguese ancestors owned the seas.

which didnt really happen often. also they say shovels and fists were used much more often compared to bayonets because inside trenches it was too close quarters.

Speak for yourself, mr. cucked by muslim moors

Some branch of the family were cabinet makers in Amsterdam

That's about all I know

You guys are very lucky. All I know about my family is the one who fought in Cuba and my great grandpa who fought in ''the battle of Ebro'', spanish civil war.

Need to look back a bit further maybe. You're Spanish so someone in your history was probably Goth'd or Moor'd.

>look into family history
>all poor grain farmers from Belgium and East Germany on both sides
>that's why they immigrated to Saskatchewan
>that's why I'm lactose intolerant despite being white
>no history of anyone ever being part of any war effort
>no money in family left from ancestors or valuable heirlooms
>great grandfather's wedding ring to grandmother was a bullet he pounded out and drilled because no money

Oh well. I'm okay with my serf heritage.

My distant ancestors were the lowest nobility that were expelled from Bosnia with the Ottoman conquests, while more recently both sides of the family had bandits who killed and robbed Turkroaches. I still have a damaged gold plated dagger and flintlock pistol (both Ottoman souvenirs), too bad the Yatagan was looted in WW2 when the house was burned.
Antemurale Christianis.

In a book documenting the Napoleonic era military stuff (less grand strategy, more tactical) it noted with quotations from generals, physicians and others of the period that bayonet battle on the -field- of battle was rare to the point of nonexistence. Either those being advanced upon fled, or the fire from those being advanced upon made the bayonetters flee. It was of far greater use against cavalry, however.

That is not to say it did not exist as it was ubiquitous to siege, fortification and so on work. Just that Banzai-ing did not exist according to these firsthand accounts. I wouldn't take their accounts to suggest that it never happened as their attention was (physican excluded) more on the large battles. Small set piece skirmishing likely had it, and I've read of stuff later in the century with the Foreign Legion that I think had bayonet to bayonet outside of a siege/fortification.

I have KANGZ genes so I'm ok you poor manlet

dont they claim when one side bayonet charged, the other side basically pulled back to avoid casualties because in a charge shit load of soldiers died.

youtube.com/watch?v=9ygwgX8H3S0

considering huzars had many children
we wuz huzars

>no vikings

>great grandparents went down genetic line and found we have connection to vikings
>connected to Daniel Boone who went out conquering the wilds
>connected to Patrick Henry who made the "Give me liberty or give me death" speech for the Revolution
>have a Civil War participant somewhere in there but don't have a lot of info on that, but grandfather has sword

In our family bible, it says that my great-something grandfather decided to start claiming land in Kentucky prior to the Revolution and made his son stay there alone for a year so that he could return to Virginia. Apparently the only person his son saw while he was alone in the woods was an Indian near the creek. Both fought in the Revolutionary War and one was killed fighting the Shawnee led by the British.

Vikings are literally the niggers of medieval white people though.

But he said
>no vikings
And other than vikings I have a good bit of German as well

>tfw Anglo-Norman family
honhonhon

>mfw I come from a noble family from Lwów

Give me a moment and I'll look for the book to try and pull excepts from it. I know from reading about Hoplite warfare that what you said happened if you mean 'other side' as in the charging side. It was a natural process that the no-bite-all-bark guys would cool their heels a little at the last moment, that it was nearly impossible for one to have a full running charge maintain a solid compact mass and it's why the Spartans intentionally didn't run until the last few meters (if at all?).

and I am proud of it.

Farmers are the salt of the earth

>tfw you know the exact coat of arms that belongs to your direct paternal line.

i come from poor nobility from warsaw, at least we didn't lose anything during and after ww2
ukraine is weak now, go reclaim your land, it's possible i guess, they need money

Coats of arms always confuses me. If you happen to have a name belonging to one, how do you know if you actually belong to it? Is genealogy and a lot of research the only way to know?

I'm on it

wasnt hoplite tactic was to create some sort of walking fortress in which everyone protected the other right next to him to sort of make charging onto useless?

but with rifles thats not really an option because your enemy can just shoot you so when you obtain a sort of advantage on the shooting stage you proceed with bayonet charge to force your enemy lose ground.

at least as far as i know.

Yes, you usually need to know your family tree. If you are European its usually much easier to find your ancestors due to church records and other local records.

Actually, a big percentage of europeans have either royal blood or noble blood or aristochracy blood since they were theonly ones not dying from black plague and all arround plebs desseases and famine for many centuries.

My family on mother's side are old upper middle class / edge case upper class Swedes from Stockholm. Museum chiefs, industrialists, inventors, architects, city planners.

On father's side, probably peasants from Småland. I also know there is a trade ship captain there somewhere, doing business with Great Britain back in the 1800s. But I have no idea, really. Dad was a depraved druggie and died before I could ask him.

Yes, that's what I did with mine. To know absolutely for sure. It does takes digging.

It yields very interesting results, though.

Can't seem to find it. For hoplite warfare and the coverage of the charge there I can recommend:

Western way of War - Victor Davis Hansen
Storm of Spears - forget author, very dry read but does a lot of scientific testing to fill in gaps of hoplite warfare, such as measuring the velocity and power of overhand vs underhand vs low position spear thrusts.

Actually this is the book I was trying to find, and luckily a search fell on the exact page, too: books.google.com/books?id=jxqdnKQrAmEC&pg=PA69&dq=napoleonic warfare bayonet&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN7ub9x7PRAhWRZiYKHY5QB4cQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=napoleonic warfare bayonet&f=false

Given this is Sup Forums, in before author's ((name))

Well fug. Did find out what the coat of arms and family is but haven't found any info on belonging to it. It may be in the files somewhere but if so then I haven't run across it yet.

Yes, that's true. My family have been farmers in the same area as far as there are written records; legend tells they were the first inhabitants of that particular land. Sometimes the crown would come calling and a son would be sent to war, to some shithole in Narva or Pultava or something. Sometimes the son would even come back. But no great heroes in my family.

My family actually fought against the Moors and are a well off aristocratic family in Madrid. We're even mentioned in the Roland's song.

Antoine-Henri Jomini, a celebrated military author of the Napoleonic period who served in numerous armies during that period, stated that the majority of bayonet charges in the open resulted with one side fleeing before any contact was made. Combat with bayonets did occur, but mostly on a small scale when units of opposing sides encountered each other in a confined environment, such as during the storming of fortifications or during skirmishes in broken terrain.[34] In an age where virtually all combatants have discarded most forms of body armour, bayonet combats would have been particularly horrific affairs when the individual combatants did not have any room to dodge or parry, and hence explains why one side would almost always flee before the two met. Thus, the bayonet was an immensely useful weapon for capturing ground from the enemy, despite seldom actually being used to inflict wounds.

Yeah the relevancy of hoplite warfare to the bayonet/gun is minimal, I just brought it up on the subject of the motivation or morale in a charge.

There's various theories for hoplite warfare's development. Victor Davis Hansen's is that it developed as a kind of pragmatic response of the Greek city-states to trying to concentrate the horror and terror and brutality of war into a single climatic moment in order to spare their farms, peoples, and so on. Features of it were standardized/simplified so that old men (Why contain it?...s'coooo. Old men, WARNING WARNING.) could keep up with young men and it wasn't such a measure of stamina as long campaigning.

JE Lendon contended that hoplite warfare was a kind of avatar-izing of the city state in the Greek almost religious spirit of competition and pursuit of excellence in a chosen field (arete) and the sense of ranking/tiering of quality among your peers ( timé). It was a way of making the fair, '1v1 me fagget no items no snipers no randomness" of the Iliad (an errant arrow or javelin only breaking the fairness if it was dictated by the gods or fate) by marginalizing and then briefly eradicating, before the Peloponnesian war, the role of the superfulous archer and cavalryman. (continued)

Cool so it sounds like that view is widely held and respected.

And yeah, the author I linked backed up that point of the bayonet being used in true bayonet-bayonet fighting once they were in broken terrain or fortifications where it wasn't as easy to flee.

But as you said earlier a feature of it was the drift to the left (Right?) because of the way the shield was carried and that quite literally, I think there was even a direct quote from some Greek play or whatever, that "You carry a helmet and body armor for yourself, you carry a shield for the unit". The round shield overlapped and was integral to the integrity of the formation as a whole.

>tfw your ancestor was a guard-hussar of frederick the great of prussia

Feels good man

Huh, my surname means "grass", whole my family were farmers till 1917, but great-great-grandfather killed 3 English soldiers in Crimea, my great-grandfather fought in WW1 at Eastern front, grandfather fought in WW2 at Eastern front in 1942-1945 and against Japan in 1945. My father didn't fought, He just builts some devices for Soviet nuclear weapons, but I fought against Ukraine in 2014

True, race is the only thing that matters

Everyone's alright as long as he sticks to his own folks and isn't jewish tho

My palestinian grandfather was a British soldier and a double agent for palestinian resistance groups. He would kill British soldiers with his rifle at night and before his group was caught, he was the main weapons smuggler since he was in charge of the british armory in hebron.

My other german grandfather did clerical work for the german SS in Poland and had Nazi hunters knocking on his door 10 years after he died. He wasn't technically in the SS I'm told, but I feel my grandmother was lying to me since he was shot and needed crutches for the rest of his life. My great grandfather was a medic in ww1 and everything he saved from the war was destroyed in a basement flood. I also had like nearly 20 great uncles who fought and died in the eastern front against the russians, one in the german luftwaffe that died over Greece and only 2 survived iirc.

My grandparents were also in the resort town of Haigeloch, hiding in a church when the allies invaded. The allies had taken the town 3 days before a German scientist came out of a hate door under the church podium to try and call Berlin about how they finished the german A bomb.

in Korean War, we Turks and French used bayonet charges, interesting.

books.google.com.tr/books?id=NkW8AAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA29&pg=PA29&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yeah my family still lives on the same land my ancestor got for fighting in the revolution

>not pure aryan

Oh boy

yes, which was insanely ahead of its time in those eras due to how generally armies consisted of not so disciplined units. it was generally "bog down your enemies with huge amounts of troops" and greeks countered this with a relatively thin line of well armored well disciplined soldiers.

but then romans discovered its better to have mobility because greek hoplite was quite slow in general.

>bastard gypsy child doesn't know his lineage
Statistically speaking it's more likely than not that i'm related to Ghenghis Khan

But that's where you're wrong.

My family ended up in porrugal because of the battle of São Miguel.

My forefather was a soldier in a tercio.

YOU DENSE FUCK ALL THE VIKINGS WERE FARMERS RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>tfw I've done tests and my family literally were Celtic warriors who formed Scotland and eventually they moved to America and fought in the revolution