Can Sup Forums recommend some classic European works of literature/philosophy/political science?

Can Sup Forums recommend some classic European works of literature/philosophy/political science?

Other urls found in this thread:

thelatinlibrary.com/tibullus1.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Brothers Karamazov, War and Peace.

Russian lit is dense but it's worth the investment.

good book but far less good that Seneca

than*

Not classical but Montesquieu - The Spirit of the Laws. Going further back one could read Cicero or perhaps Plato's republic or Herodotus's histories.

Literature wise, I would read Latin poetry, e.g. epic (Virgil's Aeneid) or elegiac (Ovid- Amores or Tibullus's works)

thelatinlibrary.com/tibullus1.html
Here is Tibullus Book 1 of elegy, you can easily find a translation online.

I think the opposite. Verus is better and not and hypocrite like Senny

Roger Scruton, Abbé Augustin Barruel and Hilaire Belloc

The oat brothers thread

t. Freemason beady eyes.

pokemon the orange island series

???

The Republic because I know you haven't read it

Are most of these books typically tome-like?

These books use to come in a book-like format.

What I meant was are they huge

The call of Cthulu

voltaire
descartes
rousseau

If you haven't read Plato, start with that.

Then Aristotle, Marcus Aurelius, Maquiavello, Voltaire, Tocqueville, Adam Smith, Stuart Mill.

Nietzsche
Goethe
Kant
Spengler

Only if you're willing to become fluent in Russian though.

Seneca, Marcus Aurelius
Plato, Aristotle, Socrates
Montaigne, Montesquieu, Voltaire, La Boetie, Rabelais, Tocqueville
Thomas More, Erasmus, Dante, Boccaccio, Virgile
John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Edmund Burke

Probably my favorite authors.

Joseph de Maistre
Edmund Burke
Thomas Hobbes

read these instead

Plato's Republic, Aquinas' Political Writings and Augustine's Political Writings (for a theological view of political thought), and for a fantastic fictional political work I highly recommend The Dialogue in Hell of Machiavelli and Montesquieu.

russian literature is heavily overrated exactly in the same way as roman literature is

you can understand greek literature on its own, but you can never understand roman literature without the greeks, since the romans didnt invent a single own myth and pretty much copy pasted everything from the greeks

greek literature is OK ish but very very boring, if you arent a child mentally you will most likely not enjoy it, you can easily learn to read old greek and latin, its not that difficult

one of the most rewarding but difficult to understand works is Decline of the West, in German, its a magnus opum by Spengler, a brilliant polymath who studied Mathematics, Physics, Art, Philosophy, History, Philology

however you wont understand it unless you read it in German and also you wont understand the content unless you are familiar with all these areas extensively

Literally just finished it yesterday....is Plato are a fucking fashy or what?!?!!?

You read all those on computer? Must be hard on the eyes

So, start with Aristotle?

Ignore that

The Communist Manifesto- Friedrich Engels and Karl Marx

thanks, user

>The Communist Manifesto- Friedrich Engels and Karl Marx
Get out

It basically destroyed the West. Know thy enemy and all that.