Philadelphia Now Double Taxes Sugar!

Philadelphia introduced a sugar tax, which also includes diet soda, that increases the prices of drinks 50%. The sugar tax is added on to the regular sales tax, and the cost of the item, making the purchase of the item taxed twice. This makes a 12 pack of Coke Zero go from $4.99 to $8.99 and a "99 cent Arizona iced tea" cost $1.59 after the tax. The only drinks that contain sugar that aren't includes are juices. Originally they wanted to tax juices as well, but they exempted them in exchange from applying the sugar tax to diet soda. (a drink that actually contains no sugar.)

Generally, residents are furious, and even though they have been warned that electing these people meant these types of policies. Residents did not vote for this double tax, but their city council did. (which were elected themselves because nobody will vote anything, but blue in Philadelphia. I'm sure the average dindu just thought it meant taxing rich whitey.) If the anger quells down, and people become accepted to the fact that their $1.89 20oz soda now costs $2.59, then we can expect the tax to remain. Many cities are eyeing Philadelphia closely, and one can expect more to follow.

They've done the same for smoking. Infamously, NYC requires smokers to be 21, and the pack of 20 cigarettes costs $13-14. NYC also bans smoking within all locations owned by the city, including parks, as well as banning smoking inside, at bus stops, or near people, effectively making smoking de facto illegal, though tolerated. What more can we expect from Big City Liberals?

As another example, to anyone wanting a rum and coke in Philadelphia at a bar...

The base drink will cost $6
Plus $1 tip
Plus 8% state tax
Plus 10% Liquor tax
Plus 50% sugar tax

All compounded to make your $6 rum and coke, $11+ Sip on that!

foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/06/philadelphia-residents-up-in-arms-over-soda-tax-hit.html
finance.yahoo.com/news/people-really-really-hate-philadelphia-171043051.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r5yZaaBbkbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sugar jews BTFO!

So are we going to see them vote red or are they just gonna keep all voting blue like tards and digging a bigger hole?

They'll likely keep voting democrat and maybe the dems will lower the tax a little bit, they just raised the water temp too fast and the frog realized it was getting boiled

Very good sugarjew makes you fat causes many ailments and shit. In low quantities it is not bad but in burger land a can of cola contains a fucking bag of sugar. Also these commodities are not essential so no problem due to the price increase. If your tap water is good quality drink that cheap, refreshing, efficient, glorious.

>Sugar tax
Joke is on you, we use high fructose corn syrup here in the states

>constantly vote left
>taxes go up, personal liberties go down

Uhhhh..Drumpf btfo?

Good. Now you may actually stop being such fat oversized pigs.

No they wont you idiot. They'll just get fat and buy less of something else, like tickets for Meryl Streeps movies. Left bites itself everytime.

Correct. Which is a lot more volatile than sugar when it comes to diabetes.

You just übercucked

over 70% of Philadelphia children are overweight. Black obesity rates even higher. Horrible family values, and societial ethics is one cause. Another cause is that these places are often so high crime, and so high taxed, that grocery stores don't exist. In their place, only small convienance stores exist, which price gouge the entrapped cliant base, and usually sell almost no healthy food. When a minimal amount of healthy food is offerred, it is usually much more expensive that the high fat/high calorie processed food, as well as being not as enjoyable for an already extremely high-stress populace.

Are you going to buy the 100 calorie apple $2 or the 1000 calorie bag of Cheetos for $2? What about when you only have $20 a week to spend on food/soda?

Uh no you moron, they arent even doing this to stop obesity, shit like this never works. Its simply for money you govt cum slurping cuck

What is with all these faggots lately on Sup Forums being anti freedom and pro govt? Are we being invaded by commie scum?

Just drink water, it's nice.

As much as we hate it, a significant source of calories for inner-city people is soda. When you could buy a 2L of soda, which contains 800-1000 calories for generic $.89, many see that as the cheap option. This tax could promote getting calories from other sources, but will only cause more social stress unless other factors are taken care of. In the end, it is democrats promoting social engineering by a disguised poor tax from the patricians.

>soda
>groceries
Reminder that the sugar lobby is backed by a billion dollar industry that isn't above hiring paid shills to protect and protest for their interests

Just grow it user duh its so easy the dirts literally right there!

>pack of 20 cigarettes costs $13-14.
>your $6 rum and coke, $11+ Sip on that!
LAND OF THE FREE :DDD

Soda is degenerate and should not be sold in stores.

>liberals choosing to use the law to enforce ideals instead of legitimately convincing others that their way is acceptable on a given issue

This is why they will fail. Libcucks always think you can create a law to force a change. Won't work.

The funniest part about this is that your corn syrup is subsedized by your government. First they create more sugar with your taxcash and then they double tax you again on that shit. There is truly no greater ally of our greatest allies than the democrats in the US

It's philly.

>$2 apple

you just mad because we have food

and half the time it will be brown and moldy at these inner-city "grocery" rackets.

They should really tax palm oil, corn syrup, and trans fat if they actually want to combat obesity.

But I thought having high taxes did NOT change behavior to make less of it. High income taxes, we are told, does not reduce the incentive to make income. But somehow it reduces the incentive to drink soda

really makes you think. It's almost as if they are lying

I was just thinking the same fucking thing. Like what do you think the ratio of paid agitators to useful idiots is in that picture. 2:1, 3:1?

Don't get addicted to the sugar jew! You will resent its absence!

They don't care, this is a cash grab. They originally wanted all beverages except water to have this tax. Their current position actually IS the supposed "fair compromise."

I'll have a water please ;)

>Sugar tax on drinks with no sugar
Explain.

Also they will tax your burgers next, beware.

>Fills cup with Mountain Dew

>tfw philthydelphia

someone needs to behead these filthy libcucks

hnads off my soduh

Well if I'm ever in Philly, I'll be sure to only drink vodka tonics, or beer.

>Sugar jews

Well, Sugar Cubans, but they live in West Palm Beach, so they might as well be Jews.

Are flavored seltzer waters considered diet soda?
Shits are getting pretty popular now.
Might have to start drinking Vodka/Gin + La Croix

Seltzer water like Schweppes which only has natural flavoring will probably not be taxed, but most things without sugar will be taxed in the sugar tax

You could have stopped this

Wasn't the sugar tax one of the reasons for the American war of independence? Pretty ironic for it to be in Philadelphia

Nope, retards never learn. They'll keep voting blue until commisar Jamal comes to fuck their wives as part of the mandatory white reparations tax.

> Philadelphia Now Double Taxes Sugar!
The right decision. Everybody should heavily tax anything with mixed-in sugar or fructose or have their products cigarette-like labeled with half of the package taking up for "this shit contains refined sugar" label.

Fuck off texas.

No, the lack of colonial representation in Parliament was one of the reasons for the American war of independence.

Who cares.

Drink water.

Regarding the smoking laws in NY, switch to an e-cig. It'll be at least 50% cheaper, if not even more and 95% safer than cigarettes.

energy drinks are included in this massive ripoff?

literally all drinks except those 100% juice or water. They call it a soda tax off-hand, but it is really a beverage tax, and a extremely wide one.

>You just übercucked
They might be ubercucked, but I want to eat without added sugar in my food. And there is rarely an option. In fast food even french fries are drenched in HFCS-mix before frying.

"Local man gives up sex in order to vape in a fedora"

Funny thing is juice is about as bad as soda health wise.

I switched to drinking water exclusively about 8 months ago and it's just better. Switching from sugary pop to water could eliminate 600+ calories from your daily intake.

>Plus $1 tip

I'm a deist, m8. Like it or not, they're healthier, and I can use them inside and it doesn't reek like cigarette smoke.

At a half pack a day, my habit cost me $180 a month. Now it costs me a little over $50 a month.

Lmao you people actually do not drink water on daily basis?

>100% juice
Should be included if it`s not with at least 20% of fruit fibers.

I drink 3-4 liters of water a day. No alcohol because I'm a recovering alcoholic. A few coffees in the morning though.

I too am a recovering alcoholic. No alcohol for today, maybe tomorrow when I've recovered from last night.

>But I thought having high taxes did NOT change behavior to make less of it. High income taxes, we are told, does not reduce the incentive to make income.
It does though, stop believing commie sanders

The sugar tax thing will also work...
Provided a sugar black market or diy products (e.g. bicarbonate canisters, syrup mix) doesn't spring up for sale

I work in Philly and already me and my colleagues have floated the idea of buying a simple big-box retail store located at 69th St Station, at the end of Philadelphia's MFL subway, since it's just outside the city limits but connected to mass transit.

We'd call it 'Soda Store'

GET FUCKED, PHILLY
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>in burger land a can of cola contains a fucking bag of sugar
Contains the same as in Lithuania.

Yeah one of my friends in Philly told me about this.
Thank fuck, now if only they could implement it nationwide. Too many fat diabetic pieces of shit drinking 15 cokes a day. This should improve the nation's health.

They need a fat tax too.

>mfw I can't remember the last time I drank soda

Gotta' be honest, that is a nice looking sign. I wonder if the Mountain Dew colors were chosen on purpose? Paid for by Pepsi Co. maybe?

Surely you can come up with something better than that. How about "The Pop Shop"?

The irony is that this will only affect poor niggers. Rich whitey already drives out to Wegmans in suburbs and drinks less soda to begin with.

Then where should it be sold?

This. I drink maybe a soda or two a month. Mostly if I get a free one from work. Keep in mind that is a CAN not one of these 64 ounce monsters. WTF is wrong with people who need to chug down liquid candy?

I love it. Leftists are devouring each other. It's glorious.

This

I lived in america 20 years. The biggest source of health issues is soda...by far. people drink mountain dew for breakfast while the rest of the planet drinks tea. It is absurd and as disgusting/degenerate to me as smoking, but no one in the US could possibly fathom why.

As bad as drinking a can of vodka a day honestly.

Who really gives a fuck at this point, at least it'll make sodafags poorer. thats enough for me

>They've done the same for smoking. Infamously, NYC requires smokers to be 21, and the pack of 20 cigarettes costs $13-14. NYC also bans smoking within all locations owned by the city, including parks, as well as banning smoking inside, at bus stops, or near people, effectively making smoking de facto illegal, though tolerated. What more can we expect from Big City Liberals?

>This is a bad thing on Sup Forums

Most Americans at least do not drink water on a regular basis. Everything is a sugary flavored drink. Including their coffee which they dump copious amounts of creamer and sugar into.

Have you never wondered why we're #1 in obesity worldwide

Yeah it makes no difference except vitamin c. The niggers will just switch to grapejuice.

Yep I was hard core addicted to the 32 oz fountain pops found in every single fucking gas station for probably six years.

Fucked my health up really bad in that time. Got kidney stones. Now I have maybe one 20 oz Diet Coke per week. Health is considerably better.

Raging Golden Eagle did a video on this:
youtube.com/watch?v=r5yZaaBbkbg

Banning it outside is just fucking asinine, and I don't smoke. Whatever, living there is like deciding to be cattle not just metaphorically, but by way of life near literally.

LMFAO fat shit losers BTFO

>the absolute STATE of filthidelphia

pffft hahahahahahahaha

It's marketed at the nignogs that use 69th St terminal, you don't want to get too elaborate with it.

I lived in a so called "food desert" in the midwest for a while.

What a load of horse cock. Either drive your car 5-10 minutes to the next neighborhood that has a supermarket, scan your obamacard and go home (half hour round trip) or bike/bus there (45 min round trip max)

Fat fucks will make as many excuses as they need to fuel their habit and destroy themselves.

It isn't the governments fault or the peoples fault. They dont care to learn to survive.

Just wait until kids selling lemonade are beaten by police kek

If they are white the democrats will be ok with it

>Being this cuck

Good Ole leftists and thier self destructive economies

>implying niggers drink soda for calories and not because they lack impulse control like children

They're just lazy fucks. Making decent meals takes hard work and gets in the way of taking Jamal's dick. It's easier to microwave a hotdog and pump soda into your bastard children.

>microwave a hotdog
>not boiling
Truly heretical

The difference in this situation is many of the protesters voted for the people whose actions they are protesting. Many of them will probably vote for those same people again next election.

This is literally how smoking was reduced in all parts of life. People didn't stop when it came out the tobaccojew was basically a neurotoxin and a lungpoison.
They stopped when it hurt them immediatly, i.e. their wallets.
People are cattle and they need to be steered forcefuly if they come to close to killing themselves.

Wrong.

Societal shaming is what did it.

They taxed Propel. It's flavored water with no sugar as well.

>there will be a black market for soda soon

You guys should just stock up over in the dirty DE. No sales tax over there.

Does this affect water at all? That's all I drink since I went /fit/

>pssst ay
>aye nigga
>ova here lil nigga

>wats good son

>I got dat coke meng

>dat original?

>nah man, diet

>mmaaaaaaaan shit. Aight.

Vitamin Water, propel, other diet stuff, yes. Also water flavorings

Muh money isn't a method of control. Muh your a tin foil faggot. Muh (you). Muh I'm special because I'm literally in a forum full of people discuss the world. Muh I.

>If your tap water is good quality drink that cheap, refreshing, efficient, glorious.
We are in America. I buy about 50 liters of bottled water a month because the water in my city is barely safe to drink. It doesn't even come out clear.

>over 70% of Philadelphia children are overweight.
Tax overweight people. Problem solved.

Why do healthy people should pay for others irresponsible behavior? If you want to combat problem by tax, tax it directly not through second or third tier relationships.

>tfw you drink soda and smoke cigarettes while being fit, and see betas online praising taxes and gov authority

>This is literally how Germans was reduced in all parts of Germany.
>Germans didn't stop when it came out the CIS was basically a source of all evil. They stopped when it hurt them immediately, i.e. their wallets.

>E cig blows up in pocket

> TFW Philadelphian who doesn't drink soda because HFCS is the devil.
In theory this is a good thing, the money will go to the schools and we'll get less fat.
In practice that won't happen because we're a notoriously corrupt city and the schools won't see 20% of that money.
Kenney wanted 3 cents an ounce. He got 1.5 and it's still about an extra dollar per 2 liter. Fucking Democrats will rob you blind if you let them.

>Just drink water, it's nice.

i'm white. it's too spicy.

do it user, get on this train while you can.

Yes, much like honey is.
If high fructose corn syrup is bad, honey is bad. Organic cucks cannot go around this.