This is a question I dont think Ive ever found a straight answer for

This is a question I dont think Ive ever found a straight answer for.

How come in the United States and Canada. We speak our own accents (Not really an accent at all, just bland speaking) after the colonization and leave of the British. But New Zealand and Australia speak in what seems to be British accents. It is somewhat difficult to tell the difference between all 3. Like if you put an american, a canadian, and a brit behind a black screen, I could easily tell which nationality is talking. But I cannot say the same for New Zealand and Australia. Why did we evolve our own accents while they still have an english one?

pic kinda unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p5T3ubSdhSM
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Newfoundlanders still have a strong Irish accent.

Australian and New Zealand accents don't sound like British accents
I agree with you on the fact that American and Canadian accents are the most different from British accents though

>New Zealand and Australia speak in what seems to be British accents

This

Auatralians sound like bogans

>durrr amerifat education
>thinks they don't have accents

Whenever I think Amerifats can't get any more stupid and homely, you prove me wrong.

You have a fucking accent you clueless rube, everyone does.

nigga they do

~400 years ago, English accents sounded something like a combination of modern American, British and Australian/NZ accents. Englishmen then settled the colonies, cutting them off from England. Since then, accents in the different areas have diverged as they evolved into their current forms.

I think its a matter of getting away from colonizers roots. Nobody in south america speaks the same way as spaniards. Yet there are some places that they speak spanish like shit. Some countries have specific areas that speak a language with neutral tone. no accent at all.

South Africans too sound kinda British, well closer to New Zealandish

But ask any Spainish or Portugese man and they will recognise Latin American accents.

Also many Asians especially hate US/UK accents because we're loud and obnoxious.

American Southern Accent is closest to English in American colonial times

>Americans don't have accents

This is fucking hilarious, I can't think of a better example of American ignorance

Interesting
Sauce?

that is interesting, sauce?

maybe midwest and southern. Everything else sounds relatively bland

I thought colonial era Americans sounded like pirates or commoners from GOT's Kings Landing

>Not really an accent at all, just bland speaking

topkek

what has stunted the amerifats development of self awareness?

koko the gorilla has more self awareness than you

Americans and Canadians have older accents. The British accents known today developed in the late 1700s and early 1800s, which is around the time the British Empire began settling Australia and New Zealand.

There's also proof in certain Southern accents. In the 1800s, as Britain began outlawing the slave trade and eventually slavery itself, the wealthy Brits who wanted to keep doing it were essentially forced to move to the American South. They brought these new accents with them that eventually developed into the "aristocratic" Southern accent. If you've heard Jimmy Carter speak, this is the accent he is using. You'll notice he doesn't really pronounce R's in certain words, which is a telltale feature of this new accent that developed in Britain after the settlement of North America.

>Everything else sounds relatively bland

It sounds bland because you're used to it, you fucking idiot. All American regions have their own regional vernacular.

It's only "bland" in the same way that British press accents sound bland to Britbongs.

>Welsh Guard's wedding.jpg

You dun fucked up user.

Lmao

>tfw baltimore nigress thought I was an Aussie
Are you black OP

>Not really an accent at all

I'll take you seriously when you stop pronouncing "little" as "liddle"

Amerifats blown the fuck oot!

>But New Zealand and Australia speak in what seems to be British accents.

Well American ignorance aside it's because America and Canada got a lot more general European immigration while Aus and NZ is a lot more solidly British historically.

Thx for rare flag.

>Americans don't have accents
>Aussies and Kiwis sound British

are you mentally disabled?

youtube.com/watch?v=p5T3ubSdhSM

The US is huge and most Americans never interact much with foreigners from other English-speaking countries. OP has likely never left the US

I lived with some Australians for about a year before I could really nail the difference. Before that, it all sounded the same to me.

I always thought yank accents had the inflection of irish mixed with rural english, not wholly unpleasant but very coloured.

Aus accents tend to be like irish and cockney mix, and NZ accents tend to be of a posher RP english, like the old rhodesian accent before it diverged with all that afrikaan dutch molesting.

/thread

I would rather kill myself than have an Irish accent

its been a bit of a gag for a while the americans cant tell the difference between ozzy and working class english accent, ala only fools, i dont know why that would be other than being tone deaf

That's entirely your perception, when I was a young child I couldn't tell the difference between American and Australian accents.

I now know there's a distinct difference between American, Australian and English accents

they sound similar from our perspective

Well they're objectively not you faggot.
Fuck it really is true that American's think their country is the whole world.

Don't listen to that faggot they absolutely do not sound the same.

Also:

>Not really an accent at all

This always confuses the fuck out of me, I think Americans simply don't understand what the word accent means, if you don't have an accent that means you're literally mute.

You have an American accent not no accent

British accent is dying, now we have the Paki voice:
"You get me"
"Wasteman tings"
"Low it man"
"Are you dizzy blad?"
"Mandem shank"

This makes a lot of sense. Southerners were good Anglo stock, lived basically like Nobles thanks to slavery and weren't muddied by Germans and Frogs like the British aristocracy.

Only if you live in a fucking shithole do you hear those words. Or posh whities trying to be "cool"

I apologize for my fellow compatriot, he's slow.

As an American who isn't mentally challenged, there is a massive fucking difference between Australian and British accents.

They do not sound the same.

Aussies have abbo mixed in with their accent. Listen to an Abbo speak and they sound like they have an Australian accent on steroids.

Also there is no "English accent". People sound completely fucking different in each city. Listen to a Scouse (someone from Liverpool) and compare that to someone from the wealthier parts of London.

Our schools spend most of the time teaching left wing lies instead of facts. The people who do break from the false education have a lot of self searching and research to do to get educated

The Aus and NZ accents are more comparible to Irish accents if anything

Just got me a Newfoundland dog. Wonderful animal

Literally the only people who can tell the difference between New Zealand and Australian accents are New Zealanders and Australians.

I always wondered why the women in NZ and Australia were fuck-ugly. Now, I might know...

>Southerners were good Anglo stock

LOL, have you ever met southerners?

They are mostly fat, low-IQ retards. By far, the highest obesity rates among whites in the South.

Lol at all these OBSESSED insignifiniggers in this thread.

Sorry, but when you litterally have the whole entire world in youre pocket, you get to decide who has an accent and who doesn't.

I cringe whenever I hear an Australian accent in American tv shows and things. It's so obtuse. It sounds nothing like a british accent either

Very great explanation. Here's a (you)

Britbongs, Kiwis, and Ausfags sound similar, but they are all very distinct.

Looks about right, mate

I remember watching tv in Leafland and someone had a New Zealand accent, they had to put subtitles so the leafs could understand

I have a golden rule that if they sound somewhat like I do, they are more likely from New Zealand. And then there is always the fush and chups rule.

REEEEEEEEE

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU YANKSHIT POF
ILL UNLEASH AN ENTIRE SEA OF DINDUS ON YOUR REGION AND SEE HOW WELL YOU TURN UP IN 200 YEARS YOU FUCKING KEK YES SIR REE BOB

I can usually distinguish South African accents pretty easily but sometimes someone starts talking in what I think is a South African accent then it morphs into an Australian one, or vice versa. I don't think I say "fush and chups" but I know some who do

I don't see the problem. They both look like fun dudes.

American sounds like Australian

Everyone has an accent, including you.

>Why do places that are essentially far away from a lot of places in geographical terms speak like people right next to us?

Amerifats are still struggling to get the shart mart epidemic under control, we can't expect them to understand accents just yet.

Hell we do that here with hardcore southern accents. And I'm from the south. I think most of the time we will die subtitles with foreigners with very very strong accents. Probably the people the trash of each country

No, Australian accents sound more American than anything else.

This in some ways. Some of our pronunciation is American. That's what happens when 95% of your media is from America

m8, we do have various accents. And I will forever be grateful that I speak common midwestern. The worst accents in this country are on the eastern seaboard.

in england the accent changes every 20 miles.
What you think of as an english accent is probably just the london accent.

Dont really know about why nz and aus still sound like bongs *, My guess is its the size of their colonies. Our accent changes about every 1000 miles give or take ebonics in nigger infested areas. I guess because they were repetitively contained, the accent didn't take that many diversions.

* (yes you do, I can hear the difference but it doesnt mean you don't sound like them. You voices have a wave to it).

>That's what happens when 95% of your media is from America
That's probably why your women like the BAC too.

We do the same with Southern accents on TV here (American Southern and sometimes NZ southern too)... Weird indeed

This. Australians and Americans sound similar to me.

ITT: axons with fucking tin ears

That's weird. Australians always sounded like faggots to me.

so close

We wuz the original accent and shiet.

No. You are wrong.

Accents in Britain have remained the same for hundreds of years. THe reason aussies sound similar is they didn't create their own accent. America did a mass standardisation with the neutral Midwest accent for all it's news anchors etc.That and changed the spelling and pronunciation of many words. Ie schedule being skedule in English it is shedule. Or simultaneous simletaneous vs sim ul taneous

>British, Australian and NZ accents sound the same
>Yanks really are this retarded

I cringe when I see Australians putting on American accents in movies. Like that bitch from neighbours lmao always will be a bitch from neighbours to me

Excdept that non rhotic and rhotic accents are spread across England and have been for hundreds of years. The current American accent is 150 years old.

WE

Apparently our accents sound similar.

It's not shitty nu irish. It's based old Irish
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck

Newfies are awesome.

There's no such thing as a "British accent". People in Gloucestershire, Wales, London, Scotland, Manchester, Newcastle etc. all sound different.

WAS PEASANTS AND SHIIIIT

>simletaneous
what the fuck did you just say?

I've never heard a Jersey accent, but if it sounds similar what would the reason be? The French influence perhaps?

How do you say simultaneous?

>aluminium
dumb bongs

We don't sound British you stupid cunt

The term and the alloy were developed by us.

It's always been Aluminium.

I don't know where you Amerifats started misspelling it and went wrong.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#History

Americans pronounce simulataneous incorreclty.

The say sigh-mul-tay-ne-us when it is sim-ul-tay-ne-us

>Accents in Britain have remained the same for hundreds of years
You don't actually believe this do you? The entire phenomenon of non-rhoticism (dropping the R at the end of your words) occurred post-colonization.

Yeah but literally the only people who can't tell the difference between Oz, Kiwi & also a Brit are retarded Americans.

Even a fucking Uighur camel racer from the middle of the Gobi desert can tell them apart.

>106356062
No. A lot of retards do think this, though, because they read something about rhotic accents being more common in England in colonial times, and assume because American accents (except New Yawk & Ebonix) are rhotic that means they speak "hurr durr original English".

Seriously you cunts are retarded. I don't think it's just the Mexicans lowering your IQs.

I honestly have no idea, but it's what all the tourists and people living here that are originally from the UK say. I don't hear it myself, and apparently it's not too noticeable with me personally, but when a lot of people from the old families that can trace their bloodline to the island for centuries back speak it's like watching District 9.

The again they're all probably inbred, so there's that.

Kek forgot to correct those mistypes.

simultaneous and incorrectly.

>lived basically like Nobles thanks to slavery and weren't muddied by Germans and Frogs like the British aristocracy.
Except only like 6% of whites owned slaves at the height of slavery in the south. If it is true that southerns speak closest to an old British accent, it only because of how secluded southerners lived.

You fucking yankees are what is ruining our country so if you have the IQ to realize it then you should kill yourself.

Kek if you say so. Whenever Americans come through here people think you're dumb as fuck.

Plenty of rhotic accents still to be found in Britain. Depends on the region. Rhoticity in red.

But yeah that poster is retarded.

Tried looking for Jersey accents on YouTube, but all I can find is New Jersey accents.

The southern accent comes from the caviller soldiers who came to that part of America after the English civil war, they spoke like JU-LY and had words like YALL

that's what I heard anyway