Apocalypse

Why are apocalyptic settings so popular with the public?

Whether it's a zombie apocalypse or a nuclear apocalypse, completely normal people are obsessed with it. You even get people who are creating "zombie apocalypse vehicles." What does this mean about our society?

we have built a seeming invincible society. We now have complete control over nature and the coarse of the earth. We have built great cities and the idea of loosing control is interesting to the public. Also because we have created so much law and governance in our society that it can interesting to play through the moral challenges societal break down presents.

>asteroid hits earth

They know something is wrong right now, They can feel it but don't know the reason or do not what acknowledge it and instead they project it onto the apocalypse genre.

I would like to think if I go down I'm not the only one that is fucked.

that's alittle different. I feel like the phenomena you're speaking of is less about total annihilation and rather what comes next. Hollywood asteroids leaves little left to scavenge. Although again it could be interesting to see how people behave if earths destruction was emanate

Discontent invades different aspects of people's lives but we all share in that discontent. The idea of all of one's hopes and worries being swept away by an unstoppable force may in thought outweigh the negatives that such a scenario would bring.

Similarly, morbid curiosity and base instincts cannot be completely suppressed by a modern society and given the invincibility of a third party viewing of movies and video games, I would suspect that a subconscious part of ourselves believes we would succeed in such a world even against the odds.

because modern world does not suit us. we are still almost the same as many thousands of years ago yet technological progress has completely changed our world many times in the last century alone

we evolved to live in the wild. an apocalypse would bring us back into the state our body was made for

We've gone too far as a species and now crave our own destruction.

Anything would be more exciting than this bland, monotonous, hilariously broken existence.

Because you get to start over, you get the one thing the entire world currently lacks. Freedom.
Sure you have hard times and death but you also no longer have someone watching you 24/7, taxing you to the point of serfdom or telling you how to think and feel. We honestly trade our freedom away for safety all the time.
Also so many of us are so dirt poor and will stay that way, we would end up being "rich" in comparison. Especially in the US, whatever apocalypse it is, if you are lucky enough to survive, no end of loot to be had.

I disagree, megalomania is so rampant that it's hard to imagine that believe that people will fantasize what they perceive to be the greatest thing in the universe (themeslves) coming to a end. Also to add people always imagine themselves surviving in the apocalypse. People entertain themselves with zombies talking about how they would survive, the conversation would be over quickly if they assumed they would die.

Stonehenge is less than 50 years away'
we already have the technology, it just needs to be refined

Predictive programming. If you only knew what was coming... Insiders are shitting themselves. Ah, you smell that masculinity?

Most sci fi and horror has a cultural origin, some deeper anxiety in the public mind.

With the zombie thing what you've got is pretty obvious: the masses are dead inside and mindlessly follow trends and addictions. They're empty "consumers."

I have another theory regarding the more general apocalypse fantasy. Modernity has made our lives pointless and full of worries over dumb bullshit: clothes, bills, stupid movies, relationships stripped of real bonding. The apocalypse would get us back to the realness of survival, killing, making love, raping, stealing, the elements, etc.

On top of this, I believe many moderns don't feel like they deserve to live. Most people, as they see it, are unworthy of the luxury of life. Megadeath seems just.

>the conversation would be over quickly if they assumed they would die.

Depends on who you ask. Sure, there are a lot of "lol zombie apocalypse bro" fags out there. There's no denying that. However, if you break it down, they just crave adventure of some kind. Humans weren't meant for the conditions we've found ourselves in.

I believe humanity needs a reset. Whether or not I am here for that means nothing to me.

This.
Just look at all the "I'd kill and raid all the preppers lmao cooperation is for faggot xD" people who tend to participate in these conversation.

>because subconsciously humans want off this insane ride.

And for the non edgy types it represents freedom from the daily grind (no more taxes, no more bills, I get to wander wherever I want) while ignoring the downsides (no more toilet paper, kiss all non local food goodbye, you gonna get raped).

Also nice full house.

You can stock pile toilet paper. Sure it wont last forever but its not like you wont find some from time to time. The alternative is a personal rag(s). Its not that bad. Some form of bidet would be useful though for long term hygiene.
With proper planning you could still live pretty decent, maybe even better than you do now. Remember, the world is dead, all the shit left over is not. So no more ps4s being made, but plenty of them sitting around etc.
You would be surprised how much can be grown in the US, even colder northern climates.
Most of the time its not done for profit reasons.
Doesn't grow like a weed so they grow something that does. That peach tree may struggle and the fruit may be weak for a few years but it can be done.
Tropical fruit yes but keep in mind, some trade will still be possible, especially by boat.
The death and rape would die down after most of the people are dead. Surviving would be a lot easier, even very easy if you live in a remote area or out of sight. The nexus of death will be major cities and highways.

I will trade you protection for tang

Yeah I totally understand that side.
Just feel that if you live in the city you might pretty fucked seeing how city tend to fester with "i'm special and you're not" type of people.

This is best answer.

That works, gotta a ton of tang. I don't care for the taste but it has lots of vitamin c and its shelf stable.