Musk

There was a Musk thread a while ago and somebody there said that Musk is a fraud who uses public money for outdated technology. I want to ask people who understand this space stuff (if there are such people here)
1) Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
2) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?

Other urls found in this thread:

orionsarm.com/fm_store/TerraformingMarsQuickly.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Every single thing Musk does is fraud. The hyperloop is total bullshit, his super magitech space revolution is just shitty old rockets with bad protocols that NASA never used (one of the reasons that rocket blew up) and this nonsense about electric cars is a con. People can't afford gas-powered cars NOW but somehow everyone will be driving a $30,000 vehicle in five years with no infrastructure?

>Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
Also no, Mars colonization is a pipe dream. Not even because we can't get there - because Mars' microgravity will fucking kill you. You can't live on Mars. Period.

What about reusable stage?

1 dont know
2 No it isnt mars is a dead planet so no magnetosphere so there s an excessive amount of radiation on the surface... so loads of cancer for everyone

how will microgravity kill you?

elon musk is a god amongst men and all who insult him should be beheaded.

You're asking people who think the earth is flat about a man who builds electric cars and rockets.

Musk is a fraud.

His cars are retarded.

Re-usable rockets is dumb too, too much forces stressing whatever you construct, you just simply invest in an automatic factory to decrease the cost per unit.

NASA already reuses parts of rockets. Rocket technology is nearly a fucking century old. It's trash. I can't even believe people are such intense morons that they think landing a rocket is some magificent feat after 100 fucking years of using these pieces of shit. They're a primitive technology that should have been retired decades ago.

Problem with reusable rocket is that youll need to sacrifice some weight to make it work
If it is rocket propelled too then youll need quite powerful rockets to stop the big chunk of metal from hitting earth like a rock, if its presicion designated then even worse
Not with chemical engines, if we are to develop portable space nuclear reactor of sufficient power-to-weight ratio then it is a question of dedication, as of right now you cant really make any money out of colonizing mars

Your body isn't designed for it. Just look at what happens with anyone who visits the ISS long-term. Your body becomes dysfunctional at both a systemic and cellular level. All kinds of things go wrong.

It's more that lack of gravity for such an extended period will kill you, like lack of food

There's a zero percent chance that going from constant 1g of force to .3g of force will not have deleterious physiological effects

That's the problem in a nutshell. Technology has just become a new kind of religion with the plebs. They don't fucking understand the actual macroeconomic principles behind say something like replacing the entire global gas-powered auto fleet with electric ones or the physics of space travel or the biological consequences. They just hear "Imma be a space god!" And now you know how the Musk fraud operates. It only works because the plebs are so numerous and so egotistical.

Basically it would take a fucking long period of time of evolution for our skeletons to adapt.
Which could only happen if we gradually exposed our bodies to lower and lower gravity fields.

He is a short sighted fraud. In his book he talks about how he was so much smarter than his bosses when he was an intern because he thought he could make billions by cornering the market on some third world country bonds because the US backed them, and the bankers shut him down because it was pretty much illegal fraud that would fuck up the world/us economy and so he claims they were dumb.

who knows

no one knows

that doesn't have anything to do with how his projects get government loans which is publicizing the risks of the ventures and then privatizing the profits

so if they go belly up the tax payer is the one that gets fucked, if they make money, elon musk and his company alone get to reap the rewards

Tesla paid back the loans. Years early.

What should replace rockets?

I want to add that musk is a conman who has been living off the us gov test for far too long.

teet*

>What should replace rockets?
Literally anything.

>I want to add that musk is a conman who has been living off the us gov test for far too long.
The american dream: steal every penny from the public to people born into wealth.

"NASA didn't do it so it's fraud"

railguns

Space shit is such a fucking meme, for fucks sake. All this gay shit has ruined science and technology. No one cares about actually important research in fields that ACTUALLY AFFECT US. No, the plebs are all "when can I go to space" "I wanna go to space". FUCK OFF. Space exploration will NEVER be profitable. Colonization will NEVER be a reality. And even if they do make a base on the moon which would be a huge waste of money; guess what faggots, it'll NEVER be more than 20 people, and NEVER a permanent settlement.
And don't even get me started on how space fags ruined fiction for all fucking time.

Nobody said that, you fucking retard muskfag.

1 in 1240.5 patents granted are assigned to NASA (0.08%).

nice bait

So the answer is genetic engineering?

>They don't fucking understand the actual macroeconomic principles behind say something like replacing the entire global gas-powered auto fleet with electric ones

It will probably be a lot like when we replaced the entire global methane-powered equine fleet with mechanical ones.

1) Yes
2) Yes

He's basically the Steve Jobs of transportation. He hasn't come up with anything new but he's just marketing overpriced existing technology with his charisma.

"Humans will never achieve flight"

heart becomes weak, blood circulation becomes weak and high amounts of radiation. Headaches, respiratory issues, muscle atrophy, airborne illnesses, psychological effects of being a billion miles from earth "floating" around in a capsule, non-stop nausea and digestive issues.

all of that just on the iss, let alone a trip to mars. we aren't going to mars this century, no point. keep sending orbiters, probes and rovers

>Patents encompass the importance and scope of all of scientific research and technology
>Not to mention the affect of space shit on the general public, education, and popular culture

kek
my favorite meme of 2017 so far

I don't know space shit but I'm not a fan of Tesla. I think it's pretty impossible to make electric cars that are cheap enough for peasants to buy. All my friends in my engineering classes think it's cool to have automotive cars but all I see is an 1984 scenario.

Yeah, you're retarded.

>Earth: Nice planet, would be a shame if humans inhabited it
>Mars: We're gonna turn a desert into a paradise
You fucking idiots are totally out of your minds. You couldn't even MAINTAIN a near-paradise, but you're going to terraform an alien planet? No. You're not.

This.

Stop being a fucking know-nothing shill, you little faggot.

You'll get a micropenis

You're a mean person.

I rode in a tesla and it was neat as shit. then I realized this sort of cool thing I was in costs as much as a small fucking house, property and land you would own for generations currently is synonymous in price with a toy car that people insist will be commonplace. I think Ferraris are wicked, but they will never be commonplace.

great thread

>he thinks we couldn't terraform mars

orionsarm.com/fm_store/TerraformingMarsQuickly.pdf

>Space exploration will NEVER be profitable.

>Let's stay on earth and never leave so that the human race will die completely stuck on this godforsaken rock until the end all so our jew overlords don't lose control of us.
Pleb

>global warming is real and we can't stop it
>we're gonna terraform Mars lol

1) yes its huge

2) yes but it is going to take an insane amount of money that will have to come from the government

someone redpill me on Tesla, why are their cars not good?

>X is shit and should've been replaced a long time ago
>"what should we replace it with"
>lol dunno literally anything

The ISS has no gravity, Mars has 40% of Earth's gravity. The situation on the planet's surface should be marginally better.

Even Mars' incredibly thin atmosphere still blocks the majority of radiation. Background radiation exposure to a person on Mars totals 11msv per year, equivalent to receiving an annual CT scan

The Tesla is overpriced and aimed at the luxury car segment but prices will go down, even if you just buy a pre-owned one in a few years

The "reusable" components in the Space Shuttle are so thoroughly refurbished that it would be easier to just rebuild the thing from scratch, each Space Shuttle launch cost nearly as much as it would have to build an entirely new shuttle

SpaceX and Blue Origin have both succeeded in landing a rocket upright on the same pad it launched from

Your point about reduced payload is true - but the advantage is that the price is reduced more than the payload is. A reusable rocket might carry 30% less than an equivalent disposable one but in an ideal situation you could be paying for just $200,000 worth of new kerosene instead of a new $60 million rocket to replace the one you threw away

Don't you have a flat earth thread to shitpost in?

>I think it's pretty impossible to make electric cars that are cheap enough for peasants to buy
That was the point of building Gigafactory 1 - to get the cost of batteries low enough that the Model 3 will be in the mid $30k range.

>all I see is an 1984 scenario.
That's happening regardless of the electrification of cars

>Musk is a fraud who uses public money for outdated technology.

Paypal and Zip2It were 100% privately financed. SpaceX and Tesla both have gotten government money but either as R&D funds or as a normal purchase for services in the case of SpaceX. It's pretty hard to be a rocket operator and not have government customers. Musk describes it as 'you'd have 40% of your business being government even if you were making pencils'.

Space tends to be a very conservative industry. Things have to work, they only get one shot at it and it has to be precise. So, with this in mind, engineers use what they know works and only change what has to be changed:

>1) Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?

Yes. Tail-landing first stage is already revolutionizing launch. It's a reasonable addition to well-proven technology.

>2) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?

Yes. It's the only plan that anyone has that makes sense because it has to make business sense or it won't happen. NASA and other national agencies are not mandated to colonize space so they never will. It has to be private groups and some of that is going to involve private companies like SpaceX.

>t. Fanboi.

They are luxury items that are ok, so long as only a few people have them. If everyone had a Tesla we would be fucked in terms of infrastructure.

Well Russia bro here are your answers,

1. The reusable/landable (that's the key part) is innovative. No other private company has a rocket first stage that can be built, launched, landed, and then rehauled and relaunched, etc. Yeah, the Shuttle was one example of reusable tech but that old bird did a good job for the time. And it's not to say Musk hasn't had his fair share of issues with hardware. They have been using an advanced fueling method to double the capability (roughly) of fuel and a flaw in the upper stage that wasn't known caused the anomaly a few months ago.

2. We really don't know. He talks big and is actually delivering on something new as opposed to ULA and other launch providers. Will we have people on mars in the next few years sure but does that mean a colony in the future? Once we get there something unforeseen could happen or there really is no feasible return plan and that would tarnish public opinion of any colony project easily.

>Stop being a fucking know-nothing shill, you little faggot.
>t. Bolden

The (((jew))) is mad because no one's falling for his jewiness.

The amount of Stupid in this thread is infuriating.
I don't have the patience to respond to each arrogant, autistic troll, so just hear me out.
preface: I am an alt-right, CO2-loving, anti-regulation person; I also lease a Tesla S and own TSLA.

- Arguments that Musk's success is tied inexorably to 'sucking off government teet' are factless and fueled by FUD campaigns set in motion by institutional investors shorting tsla. In short, Musk's business plan is entirely based around long-term profitability in the absence of subsidies. If you paid ANY attention to what he's doing, you would have noticed that he has put thousands of engineers to task solving the problem of ENSURING maximum profitability in EV, solar and spaceflight. And frankly it's amazing what they're accomplishing.

- If space has no relevance or industrial future, why is Bezos, another genius and profit extraordinaire, obsessed with the idea, and has poured his personal fortune into the concept of LEO-based industry?

- Musk has actually convinced Trump not only that he is right, but impressed him enough to gain a spot on his business strategy council and has met with him privately twice thus far.

- Musk is not a smooth operator or salesman. He is shamelessly honest to the point of constantly flubbing his ETAs and making a fool of himself.

- "He's done nothing new." Tesla and SpaceX have revolutionized their respective industries. This is widely recognized. You can find quotes from every other CEO in those industries admitting this.

Our only chance at space was a German victory of world war 2 where the control over money supply was not Jewish lead, it was the only way we could construct huge projects like space travel without debt. Nazis had majestic plans and they were not relying on finance. Von Braun was very dissapointed at the end of his life

spaceflight is impossible under a capitalist lead jew world order with jews at the fed and rothschilds at the head

Norway is probably the fastest growing market for electrical cars in the world now. We're building infrastructure like madmen.
At least 10 of my friends has a Tesla car of some sort. One guy even has two.

The dude literally was in tears at the thought of someone else running SpaceX who might have profit motives over mars colonization motives.

only because of the government, who heavily subsidizes it, makes it 'profitable', and because they heavily tax gas

It is the government in the US stopping innovation.

>No other private company has a rocket first stage that can be built, launched, landed, and then rehauled and relaunched, etc.
The Blue Origin New Shepard can, but that thing is more or less a scaled down proof of concept

Nevertheless if they succeed in scaling up the thing to the planned New Glenn rocket by 2020 it should be quite an impressive vehicle in its own right

In particular they managed to launch, land, refuel and re-launch the same rocket five times in a year, which is a feat SpaceX hasn't replicated yet

Look up the Andromeda Gerat

spaceflight is impossible under a profit motive

only a gentile non-Jewish natsoc totalitarian superpower government (europe of the fatherlands) could have realized it

NASA, SpaceX, Blue Origin and the Chinese Space Agency are all developing rockets equivalent or greater than the Saturn V that put men on the moon right now

The 2020s is finally going to see more manned spaceflight than the 1960s

It is time to build a time machine then

I should also point out that the Chinese actually have minor space stations in orbit right now in preparation to a large modular space station of their own which means the number of people permanently living in orbit is finally going to start increasing from three.

Magnetic fields block radiation

>Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
Yeah, sort of. Space Shuttle was reusable, as were the SFBs. The real breakthrough is that instead of landing in the ocean via parachutes like the SFBs, it lands itself upright.

Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
Yes, completely feasible. People will probably die, but shit happens. I'm more excited to see Orion go to Mars. It's actually already been built, and going through it's testing.
Wernher von Braun was ready to go to Mars, that's why he overbuilt Saturn V rocket so bigly. It was much larger than required to go to the Moon. He quit NASA when they decided to pursue the Shuttle program instead of sending the Saturn V to Mars. He lays out a solid plan to go to Mars in Das Marsprojekt. It's not a new idea. But whatever, check out his book if you want better info, I'm going off of my memory, and it's shit.

Still, it gets done Dutchbro.
The same with renewable energy. The climate meme actually makes our politicians do something useful. The building of additional hydro-plants, creates jobs and valuable energy infrastructure.

Musk works for another guy. Musk is the face, other guy comes up with ideas. I can't give you full info.

>Space Shuttle was reusable, as were the SFBs.
Gotta point out here that the Space Shuttle was "reusable" after hundreds of millions of dollars worth of refurbishment

The thing had to be practically rebuilt by hand before every flight

When they were designing the thing they were like "I bet we can refuel it, give it a once-over and launch it again within a week" and they were painfully wrong

>The same with renewable energy.
oh my god, here its totally upside down, they heavily tax clean burning gas, because its fossil and they under legeslation burning wood is clean, while 2 hour of wood burning has as much pollution as 9 hours of driving a truck. it's fucking sick, and the air quality in villages is terrible because people are all burning trash and wood, fucking bureaucrats I fucking hate you !!!!!!!!

I should not have said "sending Saturn V to Mars" but "using it to get to Mars.

) Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
Technologically it is a breakthrough; economically this will be determined in phases.
Phase 1 - done. It's now possible to land an orbital first stage. Eventually it will become the new norm.
Phase 2 - this year, a stage will be re-flown on a commercial flight and on the Falcon Heavy demo flight. This would prove reuse is possible.
Phase 3 - multiple re-flights without major refurbishment apart from engine swaps. The price now starts to come down.
Phase 4 - SpaceX dominates the market and the economic breakthrough is complete.
Phase 5 - next-generation interplanetary-class rocket re-use, enabling colonization.

No guarantee we will get to phase 5 but it's highly likely phase 3 will be reached by 2018.

) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible? He has no Mars colonization plan. He has a plan for a rocket and ship which would enable someone else to conduct colonization. He likely intends it to be Trump's NASA, and likely is presenting Trump with an ultimatum that he will sell the system to China or another nation if Trump doesn't buy it.
The rocket, again, is technologically feasible but must be shown to be economically feasible. It will belong to a brand new class of all-composite, autogenously pressurized, methane/LOX rocket. Totally new technology.

You can say the same about the Falcon 9. Sure they want to be able to refuel and relaunch, but they're not there yet. A rocket is not a thing that just doesn't take a lot of stress on a launch. They can't safely reuse it without taking it completely apart, and then reassembling. They want to be safe, and they can't do that without inspecting every single component individually. Not to say they're not going to try though.

They developed their own rocket engines. The Raptor engine is especially impressive.

It's not a fraud but pseudo intellectual faggots will criticize because it's not a space elevator or some other sci-fi bullshit.

It had been a bummer that so many space programs were still dicking around with 20 ton to LEO rockets for so many decades

A rocket that carries 10x as much for twice the cost is a new form of efficiency in and of itself

He's overhyped.

he hasn't "reused" a single rocket tho.

Are you retarded?

> Every single thing Musk does is fraud

Wrong

> The hyperloop is total bullshit

Wrong

> his super magitech space revolution is just shitty old rockets with bad protocols that NASA never used

Old rockets? What? Wrong

> this nonsense about electric cars is a con. People can't afford gas-powered cars NOW but somehow everyone will be driving a $30,000 vehicle in five years with no infrastructure?

Tesla self-driving cars do not /need/ to be owned by everyone. Car ownership in general will decrease significantly as the individual's need for a personal car is diminished; cars will increasingly become on-demand. A family that might have purchased two or three cars previously will only need one.

I really wish retards like you wouldn't try to make pronouncements about everything

which is why space belongs to the chink hivemind if whites don't get their shit together

True. 2017 is the year we find out if any of the landed boosters can actually be reflown.

The problem with this will always be that reactors are inherently heavy motherfuckers and you need to make them bigger to produce more power

A compact fission/fusion reactor could be great for a deep space engine but achieving escape velocity with it might impossible

That's like comparing the grasshopper SpaceX made to an Ariane 5. Stop posting bezos

The design is sound. If it can be scaled up, it's great news for space travel.

>I am an alt-right

>I FOLLOW A FICTIONAL POLITICAL IDEOLOGY

DROPPED, kys my man

I miss Space Elevator threads.

spacex isnt the problem, its the spacex fans that are