Can someone be Catholic, and worship Christ on Sunday,and also be Heathen, and worship Thor on Thursday...

Can someone be Catholic, and worship Christ on Sunday,and also be Heathen, and worship Thor on Thursday? So long as Thor is not considered to be equal to or higher than the Trinity.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQUgwuDWrUc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Rites_controversy#Pope_Pius_XII.27s_decision
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Check out those 10 comandments sometime. I'm really curious about this Thor thing. Do people actually worship him? Why? Are you obsessed with superhero movies or something and think that's cool?

Do protestants accept this?

commandment says "no other gods before me", not "no other gods". Thor and the Aesir are created beings who are inside the universe, they didn't come prior to it.

The Catholic Church tolerates a number of forms of "folk catholicism" and folk customs that are pagan in origin. For example, Mexicans are allowed to practice "Day of the Dead" in which they give offerings to their dead ancestors. Last year, Pope Francis issues a statement to Japanese Catholics ENCOURAGING them to make offerings at Shinto shrines- because (to paraphrase him) "Shinto is the way which God chose to manifest himself for the Japanese people".

As long as God is held above Pagan gods and they are not worshiped in place of God but rather as nature spirits, why wouldn't it be permissible?

idk, i'm not protestant. i'm interested in becoming catholic but i don't want to let go of all heathen beliefs.

Why do you worship a comic book character?

Burning in hell kiddo

Yes but what about the early Christians and their love for martyrs and their remains?

I guess the question would be why someone is worshiping Thor in the first place. Is it because Thor does something that Christ/God/the Spirit cannot? If that's the situation, it seems to be making a case for a Trinity which isn't absolute in what it is capable of, which could be an issue.

I don't worship a comic book character, I venerate the Protector of Man, who in tern gives me strength to be a better man.

I think that's great, the early medieval and sacramental forms of Christianity are what have led me to Catholicism

Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only'."

—Matthew 4:10

(((Catholicism)))

it's not so much that, rather it's that I think the Aesir gods are real and I want to commune with them, or at least acknowledge them.

Too bad you cannot worship Thor

But why do protestants contradixt the early Christians?

if Catholic Japs can worship Kami, why can't I worship Thor?

No, it doesn't work like that. I mean, you could be "in to" ironically thinking Thor is pretty cool guy and that's fine. Once you step in to the realm of false idols and worship another, that is bad.

Also. If you seek forgiveness and apologize to the 3 for your wrong doings, it is accepted. God knows what's in your heart, and is infallible. If you *repeat* the same mistakes and try to apologize, like you're instantly absolved, you will suffer some wrath - some bad luck will follow you very intensely.

Put it this way. Would you put up with that BS? Someone says "hey, I won't hurt you again and abuse your trust" and they just go on and do it anyway.

Why do you pray to "Saints"?

I don't think honoring the Aesir hurts God as long as I consider them subordinate to the Trinity.

Why did the pope encourage Japanese Catholics to worship Kami?

Maybe you can ask the early Christians who do that too here

Ask the early Christians too

>ORIGINAL CHURCH
Funny meme, but it doesn't excuse your corrupt political organization

Eh...
No false idols and all that so I'd say b
No

If it's like being a fan or something you are ok

what makes a false idol?

why did Francis encourage Jap catholics to worship Kami?

We wuz Vikangs n sheit niga

I did not say catholics are the original

I ask why early Christians also pray to saints and shit

Maybe because he is a Cuck like you

He's not representative of christianity

Don't fucking worship Thor, you moron.

Read about him and understand him. He is your history and culture.

>taking equally retarded beliefs and mashing them to be even more retarded.
fuck off with god shit.

But why do protestant contradict church fathers?

what about older forms of sanctioned paganism like Day of the Dead?

Because they arent Jesus

It is ridiculous like protestants since protestants contradict the early church fathers

No. God clearly says to worship no one but him.

Protip: the ancient Israelites worshipped God in addition to idols, and God was still pissed.

So, no Thor for you.

Except this , because Nordic culture is dope. Read The Poetic Edda if you haven't already, it's beautiful.

be Catholic.

Wednesday... Mercredi/Miercoles... Mercury
Thursday.. Jueves/Jeudi... Jupiter day
Saturday... Sabado... Sabbath day
Sunday... Domingo... Domini day?
Tuesday... Martes... Mars day
friday... Viernes/Vendredi... Venus? Virgins?

But that means all the christian turn heretic

Worship? No.

Venerate a a symbol of one's ancestry and a model for heroism? Yes, I don't see a problem with that.

I want to know why do Protestants contradict the church fathers?

Sounds accurate, were all sinners, therefore heretics before God

"We fear that worse is to come: the end result of this developing promiscuousness, the beneficiary of this cosmopolitan social action, can only be a Democracy which will be neither Catholic, nor Protestant, nor Jewish. It will be a religion (for Sillonism, so the leaders have said, is a religion) more universal than the Catholic Church, uniting all men become brothers and comrades at last in the "Kingdom of God". - "We do not work for the Church, we work for mankind.""

Pope Pius X, Notre Charge Apostolique 1910

Catholic in 2017? Pathetic.

Thursday actually comes from "Thor's day"

I have been practicing Heathenry for 5 years. I believe that the Aesir are real and active in the world, and that one can commune with them through gift exchange. I also believe you can commune with your ancestors, as well as with nature spirits (land wights). Even if they don't commune with you, you can honor them.

In Norse cosmology there is no god that is "equivalent" to the Trinity. The thing that is equivalent to God is the Wyrd or the Well of Urd- it is the willful foundation of being out of which being flows out and gives the world. The Aesir themselves are subordinate to the Wyrd and have no power over it, and live in fear of it, just as human beings live in fear of God. The Wyrd (Logos, the Word) became flesh in the form of Christ, and created a mystery through which human beings can commune with God, which is a much deeper and higher communion than that of the Aesir or our ancestors. Even so, you don't stop loving your parents because God is greater than them, and Catholics pray with the deceased and Saints through intercession.

I guess it depends on what makes worship and veneration different. I would be pouring libations to Thor and my ancestors a few times a year, and I wear a hammer through which I sometimes invoke Thor's blessing in a hard time. I don't know if that counts as worship or just veneration (people do the same things with Saints as far as I know).

Took me a minute but i got there

Hahaha but why protestant believe God failed to keep his promise?

the English names are misleading because they weren't actually religious in origin. They were just copied from the Romans and Thor was assumed to be equivalent to Jupiter.

Why do proddies hate the church fathers?

Then why isn't it called "Thorsday"? Check mate, faggot.

Protestant in 2017? Get with the times.

kek, actually it was Thunorsdaeg

Holy shit you're fucking retarded. None of your names were correct.

Sunday is for the Sun, you fucking moron.
Monday is Moon's day.
Friday is for Freya.
Wednesday is Wotan's day, or Odin's day.
Thursday is Thor's day.

Seriously, you don't know this shit? Good grief.

the first duke of normandy (a viking, given the land by the french king so they would stop raping and pillaging) on the day of his death had a christian priest perform the last rites on him and later on he sacrificed a goat and other stuff to odin.

just to make sure he had all his bets covered

What the fuck are you talking about?

>friday... Viernes/Vendredi... Venus? Virgins?

Vendredi comes from Vender=To Sell
Friday is Market Day

youtube.com/watch?v=CQUgwuDWrUc

Friday is actually Frigg in Scandinavian languages. In Anglo-Saxon paganism there was no equivalent of Freya and it's likely that Frigga (pronounced "free-ya") played both roles.

Why would you worship Joseph's wife's son Rabbi Yeshua?

There was a controversy among Catholic missionaries in China about whether converts could continue to conduct Confucian rites and ancestor veneration so long as they did not consider Confucius a divine being. The Church went back and forth, but eventually came to the conclusion that it is alright so long as...

1) Confucius is revered as a model of good behaviour and a philosopher, not as a divine being.
2) Tributes to ancestors are meant as a symbol of respect for one's heritage, not as a means of gaining favours from the dead
3) Prayers are always addressed to God or Christian saints and holy figures.

So if you want to be a faithful Catholic, I'd say prayer to Thor is out, but as for the rest, I would say it's acceptable so long as you stick to similar guidelines as were made for Confucians.

It was also connected to Venus. The Roman days weren't based on gods, they were based on planets that were named after the gods.

If the early Christians apostate it means his church which he built fell. He lied by saying not EVEN HADES WILL PREVIAL OVER IT

Thor was a cross dressing moron why would you worship that?

Why do Catholics worship idols?

Here's what the Church's final decision said:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Rites_controversy#Pope_Pius_XII.27s_decision

And Tuesday is Tyr, Wednesday is Wotan/Odin and Friday is Freya.

Thanks for this, this is helpful. I will discuss this with my catholic contacts who are helping me through this process. I appreciate the honest/unironic response.

Dude, are you like a phylologist or something?

Vikings never wore horned hemlets nor were they black.

If you read the Nordic sagas like the Volsung Saga you will see the brilliance of Viking art and culture.

>Worship Christ
>Don't worship Thor
>pray to both
Norse gods don't ask for worship, just respect, and even that is minute.
>not based Wotan on this fine Wednesday
Odin has an alter to an unnamed super deity in Valhalla.
It's the Norse purgatory.

amateur. i am very obsessed with early medieval history/religion

Friday is Frigg. In Scandinavian tongues it is more obvious, and in English there was no Freya, only Frigga (who likely played both roles)

For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: Exodus 34:14 kjv

There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god.
psalm 81:9 kjv

There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god.
Deuteronomy 6:14 kjv

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; Exodus 20:5

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; Jeremiah 25:6

Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, Deuteronomy 5:9

Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, Ezekiel 23:25

Short answer: no

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The church doesnt mean the political entity, instead it means the people

Instead of opening your mouth and spewing shit how about next time you swallow Ahmeds cock, it's the catholic thing to do

OY ITS A MEME U DIP

oh, a leaf, got me again

So the people also turn apostate? The very thing founded, destroyed

that was for the jews to get them to stop doing child sacrifice for 5mins (which they failed)

He died for nothing

You can do whatever you want man, Christ and Thor are public domain characters.

That's cool
Do you speak German and Scandinavian languages?

Quit saying apostate you autist, salvation is found through the word of God, not the word of man

speak not well, read yes. German, Norwegian, Danish, some Swedish and a little bit of Icelandic. Old Norse and Old English well enough to read the old texts. ON and OE are extremely interesting because of the way that religous motifs are built into daily speech- you literally can't speak Old Norse without doing heathen shit, and a lot of these have survived in little ways.

Linguistics changes the way that you see religion in general, but especially pagan religion.

One probably should be careful with this, though. There is a reason the Old Testament repeats condemnations of idolatry so strongly. It's easy to fall into a situation like the Israelites of old. Simply put, I'd say the safest path is to treat Thor and Norse deities and symbols of your ancestry which you have a reverence for and not put this on the same level as religious worship.

Word of God says the church will not fall

But it did

And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
Reveklation 22:8-9 kjv

>Can someone warship skydaddy while LARPing

Here's your (you)

Church is the people not political entity

Have you paid your shekels to get out of hell?

I try to think of it in Tolkien-esque terms. Faithful people in his universe acknowledge Eru (The One) as the supreme power and are careful not to blaspheme him, while at the same time there are "gods" (the Valar) in the world whom they praise and venerate and sometimes invoke, but those gods themselves are mere servants of the One, essentially powerless except in His service.

Like I said, I've been practicing Heathenry for years so it is a tough hump to get over. I do think it is in my best interest in many ways (spiritually and practically) to convert, and I want to do it sincerely, which is why I won't just lie my way through confirmation. I have good help in this from some local Catholics, and your help is also appreciated.

Larpfag UNDENIABLY confirmed

Yes. So why did the people apostate and fall away

God planned it?

i don't really care what you think, man. protestantism is spiritually impoverished in ways that sink far below even LARP paganism. that's why your churches are emptying while Catholic churches grow.

YOU ARE RETARDED

>while at the same time there are "gods" (the Valar) in the world whom they praise and venerate and sometimes invoke, but those gods themselves are mere servants of the One, essentially powerless except in His service.

And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
Reveklation 22:8-9 kjv

I want to hear how you reconcile this

Yes for fuck sake its in the bible

>1Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,

>for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,

makes sense but in light of the way that Catholics venerate Mary and other saints I don't think it's as black and white as "do nothing except pray to Jesus"

But why do none hold on?

If you really think you can put jesus on a list of Gods you masturbate to then you are no christian, don't try to claim it

I understand you. I think it's a difficult tightrope to walk, and one the Church has always been sceptical of, because like Solomon one can take foreign gods that one sees as initially just secondary, but which eventually distract you from the One. At the same time, consider how Paul reacted in Athens...

23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

This seems to suggest that the seeds of true religion were known to the Greeks prior to the coming of Christ, but they were awaiting the full revelation of the true God. You mentioned earlier something similar about the Wyrd. Even in many pagan religions, there has often been a sense of a 'God above the gods', whether that if Fate in ancient Greece, or Brahma in Hinduism.

I don't want to give you the impression that idolatry (properly defined) is justified. It's not. But I can understand you want a sense of connection to one's heritage. I would definitely encourage you to talk with knowledgeable people in your local Catholic community. Also, if you come to the conclusion that you cannot in good conscience practice both routes, then as a Catholic myself I would tell you that God must always, *always* come first.

Because we are human , just like the jews the christians fuck up

I am not catholic so I can't go into catholic reasoning for you. I believe the catholic church has been corrupted for a long time.

So how do we know you are not false?

But why protestants hate the church fathers?

I could be false but the bible is not

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 1 john 4 kjv

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:8-12 kjv

Here is some more scripture for you to consider. I doubt any of the pagan spirits confess Christ as Lord.

The bible contradict it self by your logic