I first heard Jordan B. Peterson talk about God in my third-year psychology class...

I first heard Jordan B. Peterson talk about God in my third-year psychology class. That day my entire perception of reality changed, and at that time I was wondering why this man was only able to talk to ~80 or so people at a time.

To see him now being able to go on Joe Rogan's podcast and talk so eloquently and blow the minds of millions of people makes me happier than any amount of wealth I could accrue or any amount of beautiful women I could win the hearts of.

Is there a more well-meaning man on earth? His combination of intelligence, faith, and passion are unrivaled.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1o1LcZR0hqc
youtube.com/watch?v=FID366y2gjo
youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew
patreon.com/user?u=3019121)
youtube.com/watch?v=07Ys4tQPRis
youtube.com/watch?v=07Ys4tQPRis&t=3284s&index=58&list=PL5_JO52HSEhEXjLunVishwnZl4k6KbIUS
youtube.com/watch?v=SsoVhKo4UvQ&index=63&list=PL5_JO52HSEhEXjLunVishwnZl4k6KbIUS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like Jordan Peterson but you need to be culled you milo yiannopolous supporting cocksucker

What does Milo Yiannopolous have to do with anything? I'm not particularly fond of him.

bump

The guy is just awesome. I've listened to that podcast twice now cuz it's just so packed with good ideas. Some of his ideas don't make sense immediately (like the concept of death and rebirth, or chaos and order), but as I go through life, I'm starting to really see what he means.
I wish I could get a better grasp of what he means when he talks about faith though. The whole Christian mythology seems very difficult to work into any coherent worldview without a lot of cognitive dissonance.

youtube.com/watch?v=1o1LcZR0hqc

youtube.com/watch?v=FID366y2gjo

I am not a religious person myself but this man as a level of spirituality that is above others.

I listen to his maps of meaning lectures and have the book on my kindle. He is great.

>tfw you will never sit in Dr. Petersons lecture and notice the cutie behind you, who you'll ask later out for lunch to discuss all these new ideas

kek is with us. Shadilay.

>mfw I realized that Jordan Peterson ties all my thoughts about history, philosophy and politics together in a more eloquently way

This guy is a national treasure, he stand alone against the cultural marxism that we see today.
The fact that he gets accused of hate speech says everything we need to know about the era which we have just entered.

Jordan B. Peterson IS...
the original Pepe...

>Is there a more well-meaning man on earth?
I think this is what did it for me, he seems so sincere and genuine about trying to make the world a better place, and not doing it for any sort of personal gain

like at the end of the rogan podcast when asked what people can do to support him, he just says
>sort yourself out

mandatory viewing:
metaphysics of pepe
youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew

i feel bad that i've been procrastinating on my self-authoring. it seems like a great way to materialize your faults/desires and take them head on but it takes a lot of effort to change yourself

I love you...

Bretty gud guy desu, he actually helped me out a shitload.

I have a natural predisposition towards remembering negative things, which for many, many years led me to sleep really poorly on account of me constantly replaying mistakes and such in my mind. One of his comments on Rogan's podcast was that if you have a negative emotional connection to events further than 18 months ago, that's not normal, and it's your brain triggering an anxiety response due to unresolved issues surrounding the event, a sort of flashing red light that says 'you need to go back and analyse this'.

Figured I'd give it a shot, went back through all those events and explained to myself exactly what I was trying to do and/or how things went wrong, and what I learned from it. My negative attachment went away instantly. I rarely even think about my old fuckups now, and when I do I don't feel bad about them anymore. Owe him a debt of gratitude.

Other area he helped me in was depression, when he was giving a talk about existentialism and authenticity, he spoke about how nihilism is by definition incorrect because it doesn't lead you to value and improve your life, and it doesn't matter what kind of logical argument you could give for nihilism, it's ALWAYS wrong because the results are negative and harmful; giving a logical argument only proves that the brain can logic itself into mental shenanigans to hurt you. I applied the same logic to the depression I was suffering from, and once I accepted that depression was wrong no matter how I could justify it from events in my personal life, it went away within a few hours. I'd previously been suffering from chronic depression for years, but never had money to go see a shrink, yet all it took was that one piece of insight. Go figure.

Great guy as far as I'm concerned. Also just has really interesting content in his lectures in general.

Did you buy the program?

you too my leafy friend

i bought the future authoring for 50 cents when it was on sale after the rogan talk

later i started giving the minimum 5$/month to his patreon (patreon.com/user?u=3019121) and got all the past/present/future authoring programs as a reward. i'm mostly done the future one but need to edit it a bit and i've just started the 'faults' part of the present program

Its free i believe.

Good for you user.

I thought that depression was a result of the wiring in the brain though, not a general outlook on life.

>I have a natural predisposition towards remembering negative things, which for many, many years led me to sleep really poorly on account of me constantly replaying mistakes and such in my mind. One of his comments on Rogan's podcast was that if you have a negative emotional connection to events further than 18 months ago, that's not normal, and it's your brain triggering an anxiety response due to unresolved issues surrounding the event, a sort of flashing red light that says 'you need to go back and analyse this'.
Please expand on this. I can't move on from events in my past and try to forget them but I always have nightmares

It's a mix as far as my experience goes.

Used Welbutrin for a few months. That and a good relationship/friends really pulled me out of my depression.

I know it sound cliché but you should fight your demons that haunt you...
dont run away and walk along with them. Try to understand their meaning and reason.

Watching Jordan B. Peterson Speeches always help me to rationalized my anxiety...

>I will cherry pick what he said

You guys realise that he's strongly opposed to a lot of the ideas that make your Sup Forums hivemind ideology right?

t. /his/

You're right; first became manic-depressive as a result of hormonal changes during high school, but it's been lingering for the past 7 years or so; I'm honestly not sure if it was just habit at that point (i.e. "I've been depressed for so long that I'm just a depressed person, ergo I must act depressed") or still the result of bad chemistry, but whatever the case, really, intrinsically accepting that depression is not a valid outlook/mindset has effectively made it go away. I'd still like to get therapy once I get the money to make sure it's gone for good, but for now I'm just happy I can wake up and not think to myself, 'I wish I died in my sleep last night.'

examples?

also what is this hivemind ideology?

One of my favorite quote from a underrated movie that always help me is this one:

Sit down. Sit down. Listen to me.
And this is the final lesson.

Always attack a man's strengths.
And i don't mean weaknesses.
No, I mean strengths.

No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort.
Up the middle. That's where the action is.
And it's the same in life.
Look, I know you got demons. But don't run away.
Attack them head on as they're coming to you full speed.
Because that, my friend... ...Is Living.

~ Sal Bandini.

the way he extracts meaning from religious stories is entirely new to me - as if I've been given permission to look at them for the first time since I stopped being able to believe in Christianity the way I used to

when it comes to faith, he makes no two ways about it: everyone's knowledge bottoms out in the unknown, and so everyone has faith, whether they acknowledge it or not. the world is too complex for people to act in it without simplifying it in our minds

I found a great summary of his ideas in this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=07Ys4tQPRis
...but the Maps of Meaning lecture series is probably the best introduction of all

All the shit he says about his notion of god and how it doesn't matter if the belief itself is factually wrong or not, beacuse religion is meta truth or some other nonsense, seems like a fancy way kind of way to state you enjoy the larping aspect of religion. I for one just watch movies and occasionally I binge wikipedia articles on lotR lore and so on.

Don't tell me you just found some deeper meaning in sitting in some boring ass church listening to a pedo in a dress talking about zombie jesus and then encourages to a have a sip of his blood. It's the same bullshit as claiming how abbos cutting their boys smybolic vaginas between nutsack and anus, and then drinking the blood of some old freak who got his wound reopened, was some beautiful methaphor for birth. Yeah well, truly touching. So far I was doing fine without having a symbolic vagina carved.

tl;dr So why not perform the beautiful ritual of going to fuck yourself mr. Jung?

E. Michael Jones is better

It's probably a mix. I had chronic depression for years, back to when I was a child. There was definitely a biological component in what was going on for me. But after a long time of introspection, and about a year of therapy, I had this moment where I was driving my car, and suddenly felt like I had come up for air after being underwater too long. It wasn't happiness, it was just the removal of whatever depression is. The depression was back in an hour, but that brief respite made everything that followed magnitudes less severe, and now I only experience depression perhaps one week a year.

I think that orienting your thinking a certain direction must change the underlying physical interactions in the brain. For some people, correct thinking and good living (diet, exercise, and sleep all have proven effects on depression) is enough to overcome the innate physical problems, for others medication and other techniques will be needed. But starting with the basics won't hurt anyone.

>I believe in God! (but a completely abstracted concept of a creator force in the universe and don't believe any scripture of any religion to actually be real)

ebin, truly it's time to convert to catholicism

>Better than wealth or women

Oh just go suck his cock already, faggot leaf.

Nice quads, kek wills you out of depression brother.
That sounds very ubermensch of you though, not everyone can get themselves out of a depression, especially without a shrink aswell.
Have you changed your habits aswell?

This is my first winter since I was 19 that I havent been really sad. I used to smoke weed to make up for feeling bad, but Ive cut that shit out and I feel 10x better.

he absolutely despises fascism and nazi germany for starters

What I like about him is that he is wise. You'll see a lot of smart, intelligent people, but legit wisdom is quite rare. I wish him the best and hope that his work gets more exposure.

Yeah, you bring up a good point. Not sure where you're supposed to take these ideas of meta-truths that religion highlight. If anything, this line of thinking seems like it would push you towards simply extracting all the morals/meta-truths and living by those? not sure

He sounds like he is going to cry any second.
Couldn't make it past his second lecture

Yeah like a old wise master from a Kung Fu movie

>Picture related

You don't get it. At all. Myths tell us deeper truth about our experience in the world and lessons how to behave to live a good, or even best life. This is a much older and for many things a more effective way to communicate ideas and experiences and, yes, even truths about the human condition.
Rituals are almost beside the point, but yes they can help to bring the brain into certain states. They are still used by psycho therapists.

You are thinking that you are much more clever than you actually are, fuck yourself.

>Jordan Peterson
>dropped

Personally, I'm not a nazi, though I can see where they come from kind of. It seems like you're trolling though; we don't all have to hate everyone who doesn't love hitler.

I guess the difficult part for me is, recognizing the validity and importance of these deeper truths to, deciding that I am a Christian. Like if the value of religion just comes from the deeper truth and not the word of god, why shouldn't we all be Unitarian universalists?

S O R T

Y O U R S E L F

O U T

I wouldn't say my habits have radically changed, but my outlook has and everything's been sort of compounding with itself to really help banish depression for good. Were some definite changes though; For example, after I finally got that fucking weight off my chest, I suddenly felt like I could do things again, I found I actually had a drive to improve myself, clean my room, do better at work, if I found something that needed doing I'd do it instead of just walking by and shrugging and then feeling bad about not doing it, etc. So I'm going back to school to get a law degree (something I'd wanted since I was a kid but forgot about/refused to think about in the midst of my depression), this in turn gives me a will to study, which in turn gets my success on tests, which makes it more likely that I'll get into a good law school etc etc etc., and these things stack on top of one another to really help me actually feel good about the direction of my life.

What I did when I heard that, was that I took these negative recurring memories and analysed them. Let me give you an example: when I was 15 years old I was on vacation in SE Asia with my friend, his mom, his older brother, and his brother's girlfriend. It was my first experience with alcohol; one night we were sitting in a hot tub and I got drunk and made some very rude comments which I later found to be extremely embarrassing. Years later, the memory would pop up, and in it I'd be making those rude comments again and again, and I'd imagine their reactions when they were in private and discussing what I had done. This made me feel like absolute shit, made me want to curl up into a ball and disappear.

cont

I bought the suite. I've completed Present Virtues, still have Present Vices, Past, and Future to do. It's very neat to get on your own shoulder and see yourself more objectively than usual. I'm sure anyone who knows me could look at the Present Virtues traits I selected and know it's me.

Buddhism is the path of the middle...

Whenever someone talks about how they believe in God I always suspect they're actually cucks.
Takes one to know one, right.

Who else would feel a need to believe in a higher authority than a bull doing your significant other?

So, what I did was three things: I wrote down what I intended to do by making those comments, what actually happened, and what I'd learned from it.

I wrote that I was only making the comments in order to make them laugh because I wanted them to be happy, I meant no ill will at all; it just came out wrong because of the alcohol, but I truly did not intend to insult them, and I'm sorry that I did.

I wrote down what actually happened, which is that they were insulted, obviously.

And I wrote down what I'd learned from the experience, namely to control my alcohol intake and refrain from making those sorts of jokes around people I'm not overly familiar with, as I couldn't be sure how they'd take them. Also wrote down that I was truly sorry for the offense, but I couldn't change what had happened, so that was that.

After doing so, I ceased to have a negative attachment to the memory. That's what worked for me; give it a try and see if it works for you, who knows, might do the same for you.

>Why shouldn't we all be Unitarian universalists?

You can be, I guess.
But there is at least 1500 years of a tradition being Christian, and even much older roots, so there is already a community of people and a fertile ground of stories and lessons and methods, which have been distilled through the ages. Think of it as an evolutionary process that acted through all the people practicing christianity and its thinkers.

It's true. Literally everyone who attends church is a cuckold. If you attend any church sermon you can take any woman home with you and fuck her.

This is why church is so popular.

Great insight

>Checks flag

Det är inte konstigt att du känner så. Kristendomen här inte hemma här, det är inte vår religon. Den religionen förintades för över tusen år sedan. Heliga platser byggdes det kyrkor på, så de få som var kvar inte skulle kunna tillbe sina gudar. Kristendom är en jävla ökenreligon och har inget här och göra. Nu säger jag inte att vi ska tro att Tor far runt i sin vagn och slår med sin hammare när det åskar. Men det är vår riktiga historia. Det är vårt arv.

What a fucking ugly language.

I'm literally terrified that he could be a scam.

You're on some good weed, bro.
>Burger flag. Disregard
Religion=Dogm=Skit I hjärnan
Tor i all ära, fast han är baserad i stort på Jesus, varav Torshammaren som symbol. Denna symbol fanns inte förrän sent på Vikingatiden just pga kristna kors.
Hedendom är att tillbe våra förfäder, inte säker på att det är så bra.

Pah, because when religion was big society as a whole was more sane? I sure as fuck won't go to the fucking church if I'm in need in psycho therapy, not to say that actual psycho thearpy is a load of horseshit as well. So some quack suggested you should stop touching yourself at night after he repeated snippets of your own monologues back to you for 20 hours. Amazing.

If you need some godly force to convince yourself to do good, as in not hurting anybody without reason and being nice, you were a piece of shit to begin with. You can rationalize your irrational behaviour talking about how the myth is about some deeper truth, but all you need to do is take a look over to Syria and Isis to realize how of the rocker people are who actually take religion seriously.

You're weak because instead of creating your own meaning out of the meaningless that is existence you have to talk yourself into some meta stuff just to mantain your sanity. Because you know the stuff you believe is wrong yet you don't have the stomach to stop believing.

Boy if only we had another part of the world that wasn't so dramatically influenced by Christianity and it's ethical teachings.

>the middle
That doesn't help Buddhism's case if you're trying to put it against Christianity.

I'm a staunch atheist and I get a lot out of his writing and arguments. Especially the stuff on religion because it lets me hear ideas I usually ignore from the perspective of the human story.

It's not his ideas that don't make sense; you just don't understand them yet.

You'd have to be a completely retarded edgelord to think Sup Forums has any true association to nazis outside of satire

lucky we have no braindead retards on Sup Forums ..?

>Favela thinks It matters

Man, i'm procrastinating it as well. Feels bad. I need to put some effort into it.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with a hivemind.

overrated jewish rhetoritician

it's funny Sup Forums likes this man because Mr. Peterson is a communist.

>creating your own meaning out of the meaningless

So you stopped at Nietzsche? There's an insurmountably huge amount of useful lessons to be gained from studying religion and myth either by practicing or just learning more about the subject from a charitable viewpoint.

Don't flatter yourself with the idea that we humans are the ones creating moral or formulating what's right and wrong. We may help along when things are incredibly nuanced but chimps on down to some pretty basic critters have moral codes that can result in death if violated.

Morals most likely aren't invented or created. They're discovered out of the human psyche when we look deep enough and long enough. This becomes very clear when we're reading or hearing the stories that have survived to the present day. They survive because they have some way of summarizing what we already know into a specific situation.

>Peterson
>Communist

Not even close.

I know you, from the depression thread. You poor soul.
I bet you're the same german who floods nofap threads with webms. Damn you ARE a sicko.

peterson can save us

He's about as anti-commie as you can get, actually. A huge part of the reason why he is opposing the transgender laws is because it's the baby steps of marxism, i.e. ignoring reality and legislating behaviour along leftist lines.

Required viewing

youtube.com/watch?v=07Ys4tQPRis&t=3284s&index=58&list=PL5_JO52HSEhEXjLunVishwnZl4k6KbIUS

youtube.com/watch?v=SsoVhKo4UvQ&index=63&list=PL5_JO52HSEhEXjLunVishwnZl4k6KbIUS

I'm an atheist, but I can see the value in older myths told and rituals in your life. And society sure as hell was less neurotic. And psychotherapy can actually help you if you can find a good one (who serves a function served by priests often earlier in history).

I believe in inter-subjective morality btw.

And you seem to be pretty nihilist. I recommend Nietzsche, he at least tries to overcome it (then follows Existentialism I guess).

There are some here who are nazis.

>Mr. Peterson is a communist.
No

Thought this guy was yet another YouTube meme but he's legit, then he invoked Pepe and sounds like Kermit the frog so I'm 100% sure he is a messenger from kek

That is exactly what I said. Did you read my full comment? lol

Pish! English Orthodoxy, like the good old days before 1066 when the Pope sent the Normans to fuck yous up!

>Sup Forums is one person
Stale maymay desu

>Peterson talks about Nietzsche and Dostoevsky

ohboyohboyohboy, I know what I'm watching tonight, thanks bra

Honestly? I tell myself ultimately there's a flow to things that can't be anticipated or really followed, yet there seems to be a contradiction that sometimes one tends to swim upstream when it suits you. Or maybe finding another mode of transportation once the river dries up. Or maybe you just have to sit there and wait. Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.

But seriously I think Nietzsche had a point but the conclusions you can draw from it are too many to count. Like I suppose you could keep playing the game in whatever way you like, or you eventually decide to stop playing and then follow the path of buddhism or whatever. As in trying to find salvation. I'm at the point though where I think salvation isn't possible and we're damned to live in one way or another, so again might as well follow along and join the tide.

In terms of myths I would still argue that at the end of the day it's just stories. You might get some catharsis from it I guess but some stories are dangerous and unless you're really into it I suppose it's not healthy to take those too seriously. Game of Thrones might echo some truthisms but then building a religion around it just because there's some meaning burried seems besides the point.

Nice try, but no.

for en jævla gjeng med hjernevaskede idioter dere svenskefitter er

He's good about history and philosophy in general, but whenever he talks about religion it just sounds like normal Nietzsche stuff like people abandoned God without constructing an adequate replacement for morality.

If Milo died in a grease fire I would laugh

Fair enough, user. But I think it's just stories. Good stories, maybe, but just stories.

If you think he speaks well you should listen to Terrance Mckenna.

>Terrance Mckenna
>joe rogan before joe rogan

There is a reason why we tell stories and like them so much. They serve a function, besides entertainment. And the best survive centuries (the oldest known Cinderella version is from Egypt recorded in 1000 BC).
For some reason I want to recommend Camus - The Stranger to you. It is fairly short and an easy read.

Yeah he spurted out a lot of hippie nonsense but he also spoke very eloquently please don't degrade him to the level of that meat head

The guy is literally a mystic, a real one.

Let me clarify that I'm an atheist and I only occasionally attend mass (raised Catholic) on my own because I need an excuse to get up early on some Sundays. I also do it because there were a whole fuckton of people before me that did it and they lived much harder lives. They got something out of it and even if I don't immediately I can in the long run.

Many terms like soul, death, God, faith, and so on have VERY different meanings to people. Soul can be the inclusion of everything in one's life from memories to criminal records. Other people will say a soul is this ghostly mass inside us that invisibly flies away to heaven when you die. Priests, bishops and even popes don't see eye to eye on these things. The point is that these terms when nailed down don't mean a damn thing. In the poetic sense they can translate ideas between people that cannot be spoken of otherwise.

You're right about myths being just stories. I take the Bible and really all religious texts in that same vein. If the story resounds with so many people for such a huge amount of time maybe it is worthy of being called a religion. Many people jokingly do so with the Star Wars™ universe but the important part is that the story means something to them on a primordial level. If people are still reading Game of Thrones in 300 years (which they won't be, fuck JRRM) then it isn't unreasonable for people to draw some moral conclusions from it. It'll be a pretty shitty moral conclusion though IMO.

me 2 mein Wiener! We should comment it if the thread stays up.

is he interested in parapsychology?

I don't think he ever even mentions that stuff, so I'd go with 'no'.

bummer

This is what a true Christian looks like.

Yeah. Hes a western shaman.

Read Camus and I liked it.

The problem with religion is when the story becomes the basis for your actions, rather than a thought experiment that makes you reflect about how you want to live and how you try to generate meaning. No, instead allah wants you to do [insert] or you won't go to heaven. There's no meta to it, they believe it to be literally true and some might kill you over denying it. This isn't healthy.

In terms of religious societies I think you underestimate the comfort we're living in the secular west. Most theorcracies were horror shows. Take aztec mexico for instance. Or maybe medieval europe with the german inquisition for instance. The danger of creating some metaphor in order to celebrate life, rather than to warn about religious tendencies, is that in a few generations people might take your metaphor at face value. Then Jesus literally walked over water, Mohammed rode a white stallion into the sky, or whatever else you came up with.

Btw. communism too is a relgion imho, believing there's some world salavation on the horizon if we all act according to that codex the wise asshole left behind. But ultimately it just killed a bunch of people and didn't work, because it just wasn't true. It's a nice to think about what would happen if we were all equal, but not much more.

source on jewish?

>not understanding chaos and order
>never piced up any of the SMT-VERSE games
Fuck off newfag.
>Inb4 neet
Best vidya I played in a while. Lots of morality based choices, really helps you understand yourself better.

>tfw the cutie is a redpilled twink

The trinity of acid experience, jordan peterson and we recently dead (well 1.5 year ago) grand mother make me go to church again after something like 5 or 6 years. I'm not some crazy neophyte but i like to stand in the back of the church it make me very calm and quite happy and i prefer that alone than smoking weed in my room

I know you didn't quote me in this but I cannot disagree with a thing you're saying here.

Communism is religious and one of many forms of state worship. The outcome of a religious society without the tempering of reason and logic is kind of mind blowingly consistent in their barbarity.

Btw your English is pretty good. Sorry gotta grab dinner, GLHF!