Legalize Suppressors

What is Sup Forums's opinion on gun silencers?

>suppressors, also known as silencers are any device designed to quiet a gunshot
>they provide a series of chambers inside a tube, which allows the gasses to expand and cool before reaching your ears
>Putting your average suppressor on a gun will reduce it from 160db to 130db, which is still as loud as a jackhammer, and will cause your ears to ring
>You can make them quieter by using subsonic ammunition, but this considerably reduces effectiveness and range
>Furthermore, rifle suppressors can only be fired 90-120 times in a short period of time due to thermal constraints
>Despite these limitations, they provide many benefits. Gun ranges have less complaints from neighbors, new shooters are less intimidated, and hunters can kill more humanely
>Suppressors are legal in many European countries where gun laws are very strict

>Currently, Americans have to wade through a bureaucratic mess to purchase them
>Wait times are 8+ months, and you must pay a $200 tax to the government. Even then, you have no guarantee of being approved
>Despite this, more Americans are purchasing them than ever. Each year suppressor ownership doubles, and there are now over 900,000 registered as of 2017, with no increase in crime

Right now, putting a muffler on your car is totally fine, but putting the exact same device on your rifle will get you a felony and prison time.

It's time to legalize suppressors.

Other urls found in this thread:

act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1422
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You just need to upgrade your license kiddo.

Make a shall-issue suppressor license you have to mail in, like a Curio and Relic FFL, and require all transactions to go through a federal background check at dealer. Preempt states from making tighter controls on them.

Suppressors are pretty neat. Won't make you deaf when you shoot bambi in your stand. I think the biggest hurdle is "Omg why do you want to assassinate someone?" from people who's only exposure to them is Hollywood. There needs to be a month long PSA before HPA goes through debunking all the movie myths around them.

If you don't support the Hearing Protection Act of 2017, you are a massive faggot.

>On Monday, January 9th, Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID) – joined by co-sponsors Sens. Jerry Moran (R-KS) and Rand Paul (R-KY) – introduced S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (HPA).
>The HPA changes the legality of suppressors, removing the ridiculous paperwork, 8 month wait, and $200 tax.
>Instead, suppressors will be regulated just like Firearms. All buyers will have to undergo a standard background check for every purchase.

I don't think I'd want to shoot a gun without a suppressor.

Their primary use seems to just be preventing tinnitus.

>t. DJTJR

>Rand Paul

Can't you just go to a welding shop and have them make you one?

They should be treated no different than any other firearms accessory.

You should be able to order them online like muzzle brakes and have them shipped to your door no questions

>Gun ranges have less complaints from neighbors,
Suppressors reduce crime by not *disturbing the peace* while you're covertly assassinating someone? You're only voilating one law instead of two?

Sup Forums swipe at reasoning.

Not until you submit a form 4. What a lot of people are doing these days are buying "solvent traps" which is basically an 80% silencer.

>Submit form 4
>Get approved and receive tab stamp
>Drill the holes in your new can

>current year
>not putting an oil filter on your gun

why even live?

>hunters can kill more humanely

Everything else seems true at a glance, but this makes no sense. Accuracy and power are lost using a suppressor.

Any animal killed with most modern supersonic hunting rounds is hit before the sound of the gun gets to them. Often, they die instantly.

whats the law sat about on DIY silencers?

I like the visual juxtaposition of that futuristic looking hand gun with the primitive low tech suppressor
It's almost cyberpunk

See

Fuck off faggot it's a fancy tube. Just make them legal.

It would be really nice to be able to skip the tax and the paperwork.

I'd love to have some for the range and for hog hunting.

Thank you

idk about cyberpunk but i'd definitely rather use an oil filter than an actual suppressor.

>Hearing Protection Act
I have a weird feeling.
/k/ shitposting memed into reality.
All for the good.

>I need a supressor do defend me from the gover

I could shoot it out of the air

>160db to 130db

Decibels are logarithmic. Every 6 db represents a doubling. 30 db difference means that an unsilenced gun is 32X louder.

.300 blackout begs to differ.

...?

At 15,000 yards?

All for it. Suppressors are just a quality of life thing. If I'm shooting on my property, I just don't want to bother the neighbors.

>Accuracy and power are lost using a suppressor
Completely false. The suppressor doesn't affect the projectile coming out of it in any way.

It's more humane because it doesn't scare the living shit out of every other animal within a half mile.

.300 blackout is designed for suppressed guns.

As it stands, any device that lowers the sound of a gunshot by even 1 db is considered a suppressor.

Nice

Sure thing, Matt Damon

You can easily make a half-decent supressor in your garage. Hell, you can make a pistol suppressor with a water bottle, steel wool, and duct tape. It only works for a couple shots at best though.

but to use a silencer effectively, to make a weapon completly silent, sans the hammer mechanism, you would use subsonic ammunition

when will the assassination meme die? Suppressors don't reduce crime, they simply don't contribute to it in any way.

gun ranges get less complaints because it reduces the range at which you can hear the shot. That does not mean you can fire a gun in a house and nobody will hear it.

It's basic physics, friend. The expanding gasses of gunpowder will always be loud, regardless of what is screwed onto your gun.

imma use 22LR - no stoppin

nice laser faggot

Trump will make suppressor's legal.

>>Despite this, more Americans are purchasing them than ever. Each year suppressor ownership doubles, and there are now over 900,000 registered as of 2017, with no increase in crime

sounds like nothing needs to be done then

We don't want idiots running around with silencers cause they saw them in the latest Jewish action film. Literally just mail in 20 bucks and your address and you get to buy silencers, transactions aren't registered and the log is deleted instantly. But no, gotta have your FREEDUMBS

Neat looking butt plugs.

There is no argument against them.

Make them mandatory indoors, especially for faggot-teir .22s.

Ear protection does diddly-shit next to some asshat spray & pray with his fuddgunz.

>If I were to own a gun
I would make sure it would have a suppressors. Makes it easier and less hassle to kill people.

If you are against them you prove you don't know enough to have a valid opinion.

If guns don't kill people then suppressors certainly don't...

>tfw suppressors are not only legal, but basically compulsory where I live
I don't know what to feel

You have to wait 8 months to screw a hollow dildo onto your gun. It's cruel and unusual punishment.

Have some empathy my man

Okay, I know the NRA fuckin sucks...

But they have a helpful tool on their site that lets you easily contact your reps on the Hearing Protection Act of 2017

act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1422

Best timeline, tadpole
You best start believing.

>license
>need

It's kinda silly thinking it'll have any effect on crime. Tyrone isn't going to drop 500 bucks on a quality can when he won't even spring for a decent firearm much less one that comes with a threaded barrel which is typically a higher end feature.

It's not like Pedro and his cartel amigos can't already get whatever they want.

They should be completely unregulated, of course.

Hell, they're easier to buy in some european countries than here and that just cannot be abided.

>I'm 18 and want my handguns and machineguns NOW

face it, you still need to grow up kiddo

I'll never understand how someone can be this stupid and remember to breathe.

This is true in most countries. Even Britain doesn't regulate suppressors, because it's asinine.

The only reason we regulate them is because during the Great Depression, land owners were worried that poachers were coming on their land and using suppressed rifles to poach game for food, so they lobbied congress to regulate them with a tax poor people wouldn't be able to afford.

It was always an anti-poor regulation. Later on, the libshits came up with the phony assassination logic that makes no sense (because they think silencers make firearms sound like they do in the movies) to justify the law.

It's nonsense from beginning to end.

all you need is some fowty five stoppin powah

It's form 1 not 4 when you are manufacturing the suppressor or other NFA item. Form 4 is for the transfer of an existing NFA item

>I'll never understand how someone can be this stupid and remember to breathe.
I'll never understand how people can be so ignorant of human behavior as to think gun control has no affect.

Why couldn't the NRA just sponsor a lawsuit claiming that a suppressor is a necessary piece of personal protective equipment to comply with OSHA standards?

While that is just stupid enough to work for professional shooters it wouldn't apply to people who shoot recreationally.

They have a .45 revolver in that game? I thought they were all .357 and one .44?

This thread gives me a boner

My hearing would be much better had I not been exposed to the sound of gunfire my whole life.

But that's not the same as a suppressor affecting the bullet velocity. The ammo is subsonic with or without a suppressor.

Funnily enough, totally legal here. Encouraged, in fact as a 'good neighbour' thing.

It does have an effect, it galvanizes liberals into thinking more gun control will reduce violence and voting for dems. Gun control, along with man made climate change, is their religion. You cannot question these things.

The only reason liberals want supressors illegal is because hollywood has depicted them as making guns into totally silent assassin weapons.

Yeah, suppressors are much less regulated outside of the US. We have to have mufflers on our cars, but have to go through a shit ton of paperwork and bureaucracy to get one for our firearms.

Nothing stopping nogs in the ghetto from putting one together, and they're already too poor to afford a real can.

What demographic do you have in mind for all this crime that will pop up because cans are now legal?

What?

What what?

Well it's dumb right? Doesn't the design go against the whole point of a suppressor?

>liscense
>for funs
nice proxy you fuckin leaf

It's just showing the baffles outside of the enclosure. It's a pretty standard suppressor design.

Nothing weird with that, thats how they look inside

hello your neigbor said u hav some controband may i come in and investigate

>inside

Oh now I see, this is just a picture of what it looks like on the inside. There was me thinking that's what it actually looked like

>"Why do we need guns and knives when we can launch nukes with the push of a button?"

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

BOOOYA!!!

AS A MATTER OF FACT!

NUCLEAR SILENCED SUPPRESSORS

(my own patent)

>falling for the muh silencer ban meme

There is no "ban" on silencers. Any decent human being can get one. Its like $900 just to get a hollow piece of metal and put it on your gun right now. Its a defacto ban that only applies to poor people. And by poor people I mean niggers. So its actually banned for use by niggers, and I'm totally ok with that.

Once it costs fair market value, guns like hi-points will start coming standard with them already attached. We will see an increase in silencer-equipped gun crimes. Guaranteed.

You guys are cheering for niggers to become more dangerous than they already are. Congratulations on being this fucking stupid.

>He thinks niggers know you also need to use sub-sonic ammo or else your gun will still be pretty loud

Also, nigger shit like high points don't come with threaded barrels.

>justifying a ban on a peice of metal pipe
>thinks c9 hipoints have threaded barrels

He also thinks niggers will spend the extra money on a can worth more than their shitty fotay.

>Its a defacto ban that only applies to poor people.

Actually, if you weren't retarded, you'd realize that the vast majority of the shooting community doesn't have much of a problem with the tax. It's the wait time and paperwork. I have a friend who actually died before he was approved.

>You guys are cheering for niggers to become more dangerous than they already are

No, niggers would still be banned, because they'd have to pass a background check.

The prices will still remain high on them because of the machining required, the only thing that will be gone are the stupid registration and tax stamp.

Niggers can already make homemade suppressors from $20 oil filters.

try spinning it as a civil rights issue
>the tax stamp was created to stop blacks from buying something the white man could
>they were afraid slaves would use the silencers to rise up against their masters
>just like literacy tests to vote was racial discrimination, so too are tax stamps
>abolish tax stamps to remove racist oppression!

>I'm a transgender African American who identifies as an attack helicopter-kin
>I defended myself against a cis-scum white male and now I have tinnitus >hearing damage is racist!!1!

>all dems support the HPA

repeal the NFA entirely. what part of SHALL NOT BE I N F R I N G E D wasn't clear?

>He doesn't know you can use oil filters with an adapter for temporary, dirt cheap, very effective silencers

Not so much infringement, but just the fact that the NFA is entirely arbitrary and pointless.

They are legal you dingus

>8 months
Thanks to Obama's rule 41F, current wait times are now estimated at over a year.
Silencer laws have fallen prey to the true American ideal; if enough people want to own one, any laws getting in the way will go away.
Feels damn good, I really hope this goes through soon so I can get some cans. I hate disturbing my neighbors when I shoot in my backyard.

What's the point of controlling them so tightly? The Hollywood "pew pew" myth is just that, a myth.

>implying hi-points can't be easily redesigned to come with a threaded barrel
>implying every shit-tier gun store won't be carrying a "ghetto assassin special" with a threaded barrel and cheap POS can day one after its made legal

>implying gun laws work on niggers

>implying niggers would take the time to figure that shit out

Legalize it! It's time we undo these bad gun control laws. We'll have control of the Supreme Court soon enough. We need conservative legislators to start writing up new laws to undo and rid of all the shitty gun control laws.

You're implying that super secret assassin crime rates will skyrocket for some reason. Considering homemade illegal suppressors can already be made easily, why would that suddenly happen?

Guns are still loud even with them.

enjoy the ATF knocking your door down