Learning an Instrument

Is learning to play a classical instrument good for your self-development?

If so, which is the most redpilled instrument? Violin? Piano?

No degenerate bs.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY
youtube.com/watch?v=K75zK5i35N4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuLI6Plf-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=DtdoVcG1ZrM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Z_t4s4Eog
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>redpilled instrument

an american trying to play an instrument

top kek

Anything you like. It works the brain in some of the same ways as learning and practicing a new language. I personally have always wanted to play the drums. While not a "classical" instrument per se, it requires exquisite skill and knowledge and coordination. More so, I believe, than anything with strings or keys, but that is an opinion. I'm sure the master of any other instrument would futilely argue with me that their instrument is superior.

Shit!

I meant skin flute.

Yeah...

Shit-tier feet/10

Any instrument is fine m8. Piano is always considered the quintessential classical instrument so I'd go for that. It's good for building discipline because of how repetitious it is to learn to play an instrument. It requires a lot of practice and focus.

>see whos talking shit
>check flag

lol

Piano is the best instrument. It combines both string and percussion. It brings light to all other instruments, and it by far the best for a developing mind.

This is because of how it's laid out. It forces you to see the octaves which gives you a better understanding of how music is mathematically related. It also helps your understanding of key and trains your ears better than anything.

This will make you better at math and therefore better at life.

How many siestas did you have to take before your lazy ass managed to type that post

Learning an instrument is amazing. The learning never ends, you can only get better!

I would recommend piano for a beginner.

Learn the major scale

t. pianist/violinist/guitarist/saz-ist/banjo-ist/anything with strings-ist

Learned piano as a kid but I have t touched a piano in almost 5 years, always start with classical since the basic classical songs are great for learning the fundamentals.

When you start reading and you "get" how to read the timing, you can statt practicing the harder classical songs, like madness that is Chopin pieces.

You can try jazz to but you'll have to learn about progressions, modes and chords extensions

thank you lads.

>those feet

What species is this?

How to play piano with no piano ?

Accordion for sure.

pick something easy like drums, piano, or microphone

Drums do not work on the same degree as tonal instruments. That's retarded.

Drummers only focus on rhythmn while all other instruments focus on rythmn and tone. To think for a second that drums are on the same level is pathetic.

pick cello, I'm learning cello myself and it's hard but lots of fun

>le lazy spanish memes

im actually from catalonia so i agree with your memes

>holding bow from the wrong end, incorrectly
>bow over fingerboard and not bridge
>fingers in all kinds of incorrect positions
>end pin just on a wooden floor
>seriously on a wooden floor
>ugly bitch
0/10

Would not Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring with

You clearly don't know much about drums. The sound changes with where you hit the drum, how hard, how you're holding the drumstick, whether or not you dampen it and which drum to hit, among other factors. While I agree that there are many factors to how an instrument sounds, you can't discount the intense coordination and skill of a good drummer. Drums are hard as hell, and every bit as involved as any other instrument. In fact, if you want to be technical, drummers play many, many different instruments at once, and they all get played just a little differently and must be in coordination with one another, while a flute player only has one instrument to play.

No, it's a waste of time.You will never be good enough to make a career out of it and it will require thousands of hours of work to learn complex sounding classical pieces at a proficient level.

I've been playing guitar for 17 years and there are a ton of classical pieces that I can play but not at the level of professional classical guitarist, some of those pieces I worked on for years (Bach Lute Suites for example) and I'm still not satisfied with my performance.

Learn an instrument for fun if you want, but if you want to play classical music because of some cringy DEUS VULT European movement shit you read online you will only be in for a disappointment. You would be better off learning folk music if you want to LARP.

>Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

My fucking man, Bach

beautiful piece that literally got me laid once

>Spain is shit country I agree

>Spain also controls my "country"

Fucking Moors man...

Buy a cheap casio keyboard for practice, save up for a real one or a quality electric with weighted keys for the real piano feel

That´s what I do. I learned it as a kid. Forgot about it during puberty and started playing it again when I was 16 or 17.

I´m most of the time playing marches or Soldatenlieder, Bauernlieder (peasants songs) or Student songs... pretty good for relaxing and pissing of leftists.

Pic related is a very good source for songs.

Violinist here, it's fucking hard to learn. It won't make you a better person though.

Wh-What are you??

Whatever you do, don't buy a mini version of something to see if you like it, like a shitty keyboard. It's not the same.

It actually does look like it would be satisfying to play. Its large size looks nice and comfy to hold close. Almost intimate.

I have naturally good rhythm so I started drumming in middle school. Drum kit and pretty much any hand drums. My parents even got me bongos, congas, and a djembe. Last year I picked up the guitar and I love it. I try to play a lot of john mayer although that dude is a wizard on the guitar. I think I'm gonna pick up playing piano after I graduate college and then maybe I'll someday learn to play the cello and/or violin, which are my favorite sounding instruments.

I know it's not true for everyone but playing and listening to music is one of the greatest gifts on earth. I just wish I'd picked it up sooner

Also the organ is clearly the most redpilled instrument
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY
>greatest composer ever

An American on a boat. I play Christmas carols at the annual Christmas party and everyone likes it.

My sister used to play the piano so we got a decent one at home. I myself used to play acoustic and electric guitar bit want to give the piano a shot. You said start with the major scale. Are there any good vids or websites to get started?

If you're an adult you already wasted the one benefit this shit has, namely a better connection between both brain hemispheres.

That goofy footed bitch is holding the bow completely wrong and the bridge is missing

A lot of made up shit ITT

If you want to play in an orchestra then you'll have to learn an orchestral instrument. Not the piano.

No matter which instrument you choose, there'll be lifetime's worth of work and repertoire to attack, so don't pick an instrument on the basis that you think it's more complicated to learn...they're all complicated. Pick one that fits in with your goals, and with your ability to practice it (i.e. don't start the harp if you've nowhere to store one, don't start the trumpet if you've nowhere to play one, etc)

I'd like to think that instruments are good for ones development but I doubt it.

> fingering the ivory jew

> bellowing the folded jew

> banging the membranous jew

> bowing the sheepgut stringed jew

>posting on the imageboard jew

Alright faggot, it is just machine making sounds. every single band student in my high school was either a faggot or a jew.

I play rent a tuba for a few hours a month. Sucks that I'm too poor to afford one.

Nothing in the world like being at sea brah, I want to be underway again.

I used to play basic guitar songs and the harmonica for the holidays too, sidnt have a piano

Playing an instrument requires discipline and grit. It is very good practice.

I play an eight stringed electric guitar.

> inb4 degenerate instrument
It's not which instrument you use, the important thing is that you use it to promote our cause by creating complex, glorious tunes with a high musical value, to counter the primitive idiot music pushed by the media complex.

ITT: Fuckers complaining about cultural degeneracy can't be bothered to actually create culture.

We need to create a cultural elite. Taking up a creative craft, mastering it and promoting values of greatness is part of this.

All movements have their bards, or they fail. This is because people are touched by music on a deep plane.

play harpsichord
bitches love harpsichord

If someone is going to invest in learning an instrument as an adult, they should just choose something they actually want to learn at first.

I really wanted to learn how to play the violin but there was no teacher where I lived.

Instead, I played piano for 8 years and became a competition student. Unfortunately nothing ever came of it (not that I expected it to). Being able to play advanced level classical pieces is great, but the only true benefit that I personally gained was quick hands, great memorization skills, and some hand eye coordination.... other than that, I was made to learn how to play the bassoon, flute, and saxophone. But I never excelled at those, nor do I even own those instruments anymore.

It's a huge time investment. Money is an issue too. If you really want to learn then go for classical. Around here, classical pianists seem somewhat rare.

>Almost intimate.
youtube.com/watch?v=K75zK5i35N4

>I play an eight stringed electric guitar.

"Djent" is not real music

Otamatone is the true redpilled instrument.

Classical guitar. Beautiful, don't have to lug tons of shit around, plus you can rock out occasionaly.

If this doesn't put goosebumps on your ballbag you're not human
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuLI6Plf-Y

>typing on the keyed jew

Funny you say that because I am a drummer (primarily) alongside bass, guitar, clarinet, saxophone and although I have a keyboard I wouldn't identify as a piano player. All instruments have nuances and you can't point out single musicians because any master at anything is going to be impressive.

The point though is that drummers don't have to even consider an element of play that most other instruments do. Which makes their job simpler, they can be fucking amazing at that job of course.

>many different instruments at once
I guess semantically that's a reasonable point but by that logic a piano is 88 instruments at once

>learn guitar at age 14 because i wanted to play l33t metal |m|
>grow up, realize most metal is shit af
>now play mostly classical acoustic stuff

feels good man, although at this point i wish i could also play piano

>no degenerate pls

bitch is literally showing her ass.

>too mainstream
>Too easy
>pick a real instrument pls

I can't decipher "ITT"
What's it mean?

marimba

The mandolin is the ultimate redpill.

>Is learning to play a classical instrument good for your self-development?
yes, classical or otherwise, but keep in mind it's many hours/days/months/years of practice and practice unless you simply want to learn a few chords and play your favourite band's songs
>most redpilled instrument?
the triangle, obviously

(piano is the most 'independent' instrument)

pianos play in orchestras too

Irish Tag Team, he's calling for his crew to back him up

Get a quality midi controller with semi-weighted keys, velocity sensitivity, and aftertouch. Then you can start playing virtual instruments on your laptop. This will help you find out what kind of keyboard instrument you love to hear. From there, maybe you want a piano, or a 70s style moog monosynth, or an 80s type polysynth. Maybe you want an organ. Maybe you want an electric piano. Maybe you want a large room with all of the above.

>which is the most redpilled instrument?
youtube.com/watch?v=DtdoVcG1ZrM

"in this thread", newfriend

This woman has peasant tier feet, but yes learning an instrument is redpill.

Oh another thing I meant to say...don't expect that girls will give two shits about your ability to play an instrument, if that's something you're imagining.

The only thing that impresses a girl about a guy playing an instrument, are the other girls who are looking at that guy.

Srs, don't learn music to get girls unless you expect to have an audience.

Owning a classical guitar does not make someone a classical guitarist. Most idiots just use them to strum the shit that they usually play. Proper classical guitar is neither mainstream nor easy.

Don't post Ukrainian whores - it's really embarrassing.

Not playing djent, burger. I just like to be able to play my root notes on three octaves, because of the tonal width.

I primarily listen to classical music and technical metal. That's where my main source of inspiration is.

> inb4 metal is degenerate
It's the whitest possible genre, dude, and a genuine expression of what's left of actual nordic culture. Vikings sang with a growl - muslim scribes who accompanied vikings during a journey later described viking singing as "sounding like a roaring beast"

Metal is something to unite around, and claim for ourselves. It is ours.

>those feet
Somebody get this bitch to an orthopedic surgeon

It's easy just like your mom

Would suck her toes desu.

As Bach said, the classical guitar is like a little orchestra.

I could probably play spanish guitar better then you ahmed

Incorrect. First of all I think you meant to say pitch, not tone. Tone refers to the quality and tamber of the sound produced (something that can be controlled in all percussion instruments); pitch refers to the note being played ,something which can actually be controlled as well in many drum instruments (see timpani or changing drumset drum pitch by bending drum head). You uncultured fuck.

>It's the whitest possible genre, dude,

Listen, """"""dude"""""""", bluegrass is objectively the whitest thing in existence.

Learn how to play drums and then join a drum corps. It requires the utmost discipline and physical strength. Unless you're above 35 years old, then you'll just have a bad time.

I've been playing guitar since middle school.
Currently own a Fender 1959 American Vintage Stratocaster.
This guitar is amazing.

I liked the violin when I was a kid. I always wish I had stuck with it. Being able to play a musical instrument is a great outlet. Do it OP.

Have some classic segovia
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Z_t4s4Eog

The guy drumming in the Beatles cover band isn't what I'd ever aspire to if I played and had rhythm. I always think of drummers like Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Neil Pert (sp.) or that guy from King Crimson. If you're only interested in keeping the beat, it's probably not as challenging. If you want to absolutely be a commanding presence among other, flashier instruments, you've got to be really fucking good. I don't have that skill and it sounds like it's not your primary goal, so you may not have even ever tried to play on the level of Ginger Baker. Olympic long-jumping is different from you running in your back yard and jumping in the air just to see how far you can get before you land.

You play all 88 keys the same way. Don't oversimplify things.

How do you tell a good guitar from a shit guitar? I mean obviously not a walmart 90 dollar piece of plywood. But like a 500 dollar guitar from a 5000 dollar guitar. What's the most important difference?

Something tells me that isn't actually a picture of OP.

can't hold a bow/10

> Sup Forums
> Not knowing anything about classical music and its gems
> But the instrument must be red-pilled
Oh c'mon, user, don't be silly. Just enjoy diving into the wonderful world of classical music and feel how it's affects you as a whole person. Enjoy the fact that classical music is pure art. Never heard of the term "absolute music". Thank God that not everything has a political dimension, dude!

Ex-pianist here.

Yes, playing music is in my opinion a great experience. I don't really know what do you mean by "self-development" in this case though. You will not become more developed in almost anything that is not related to music, it's not like some magic that will boost your IQ or whatever (as some claim). What will happen, is that you'll need to practice a lot, concentrate a lot, repeat the same tasks a lot. Make mistakes a lot. Not give up a lot. Eventually it may calm you down, but it may annoy you to the point of quitting if you're not willing to sacrifice your time on regular basis. It will be hard for you if you're already a procrastinator kind of guy.

While that may sound nice(ish) and tempting(ish) for an ambitious person, one thing needs to be clear. If you ask this question and you're already an adolescent/adult, it's too late to pick up an instrument and be good at it. And by "good" I don't mean professional level. I do actually mean "good". You will be a bad player doing no more than simple stuff, and even that will be noticeably bad for sub-professionals. It may impress only the least musically literate people in the society. If you're fine with it, you're cool with just making fun for yourself, and you're not intending to boost your ego with playing instruments, than you'll be good. Otherwise if you're willing to show-off, playing music will be a big disappointment to you.

>tfw want to statt playing accordion

Been here for years; just too stubborn to ask questions because everyone's a jerk when they think they have the upper hand here. That one just doesn't make much sense. I never would've deciphered that on context alone.

It helps kids learn math better as long as you have a teacher that actually teaches notes

Nice. My current squeeze, pic related. Got a les Paul studio too, thing is like a breeze block on a strap and uncomfortable as hell, but that sound...

>that guy from King Crimson
Bill Bruford?
That guy is amazing

Actually they both have a lot in common, as they both revolve around excellent technical skills. Malmsteen and Scruggs would be a good band.

That the fretboard is completely level, and all the fret bands are level. If you have the time, test every note, so no note breaks consistently.

What you don't want is the string scratching against the frets. Sounds like shit and basically renders the instrument useless.

Second most important quality imho is good tuners, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Tonewood and pickups (if electric) matter, but are of lesser importance if you're not getting really into guitars.

String tension might also be good to think about, because you want to start with an instrument that is easy to play.

Pic related, my 8-string model.

That sounds right. I love his drum solos.

Fully agreed, well said.

My bad on pitch/tone. I've played timpani before however they're large and considered part of a percussion section which is different than what a drummer would be described as. Not to mention tuning and hitting a desired pitch on a timpani is very difficult and is rarely attempted in any sort of orchestra setting because it's a feat. It's doable but I've never seen a timpani player do it unless it's an intended rising/falling sound or a change from a tuned sound to either highest of lowest pitch.

You're literally talking about an anomaly drum, plus it's starting to fall away from a talk of what I thought was on a standard drummer and more into percussionists, which is an entirely different conversation because then you have to consider Steel pan, xylophone and hang drums all in that topic.

I'd be impressed to see a kit drummer even have a timpani within the set, let alone who actually utilizes it for the strengths of the instrument.

>redpilled instrument

You guys are really reaching when it comes to finding new ways to feel good about yourself

Its a fucking instrument, the music you MAKE on said instrument can be redpilled though

And being able to get a nice low action

This.

t. jamal from behind his turntable and other noninstruments