CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. As usual, I will be assisting with answering questions and helping people out. I recommend you do the same.

Today is the second Sunday in Ordinary Time.
Here are your daily readings
usccb.org/bible/readings/011517.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dcpVrtv2t-M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsultet
spectator.co.uk/2017/01/why-more-and-more-priests-cant-stand-pope-francis/
youtube.com/watch?v=1A65Wfr2is0
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm#2175
youtu.be/BpmMeIQywYc
mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBREA4F0HE20140516?
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the Vatican is compromised

How do you intend to fix this?

Compromised by who?

jews

declare crusade when

Teach the word and promote virtue, in the pursuit of sainthood for myself and others.

Did the Pope really declare that Lucifer is God?

youtube.com/watch?v=dcpVrtv2t-M

We pray the Cardinals from Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium all perish in a tragic suicide bombing when they vote for the next pope. The cardinals from those regions seem to fuck everything up from what I can tell.

Is The Young Pope any good? I heard he was actually just a traditionalist trying to get things back instead of what I suspected.

Also how do we unfuck Mexican Catholicism. Those little dudes are doing it wrong and it's kind of a problem.

No, you're mistaken. The text provided is the pope leading a prayer called exsultet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsultet
The proper text is understanding of the Latin is here.

Whats wrong with our lady-in-paint idol worshipping

how do i christian

t. wannabe christian that's not doing a great job at it

Pope betrayed my people. I'm apart of the Chaldean Catholic church, we speak Aramaic. Catholics left us to die In Iraq. I'm about to convert to the Assyrian church of the east or Syriac Orthodox. Least Russia is helping us.

The only way to make the church great again is to appoint a middle eastern pope. Imagine a Chaldean Catholic pope. We would take all of the middle east and Turkey.

#MACA

One that actually understands the oppression and horror of living under Muslim regime? Could be good. Middle East Christians are pretty red pilled when it comes to recognizing Muslims as barbaric scumfucks

> did pope declare lucifer as god?

holy shit, how dense and without an inkling of common sense can anyone be?

I have not seen it but seen various things that make me wary. Apparently:

>the pope character is interesting and complex
>the writing is intriguing and considered one of the best written shows in a while on Sup Forums because of it
>the first episode is pretty cringey

If you plan to see it, I'd recommend seeing at least two episodes. From what it seems its akin to a hardline traditionalist trying to fight modernism and his own arrogance and the writers sometimes being unable to understand Catholic thought along the way. For instance there's the pope proclaiming it important for apostates to prove God doesn't exist, else God exists and dictating his position on abortion from Old Testament law. They manage to have some actually decent theological discourse throughout it seems but don't expect it to be above or near what you'd see in a Catholic General here, I suppose.

The Ecumenical Patriarch doesn't seem to be helping either.

Islam wouldn't have spread like it did if it wasn't for Nestorianism lad

It wouldn't be the first. I think there is something like 7 Syrian popes before Islam. But yes, every Christian in the middle east has lost someone, we know far beyond what this ignorant pope speaks.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Either mean it didn't spread or it did. Elaborate.

We can definitely help but that's very general a question, user. Where are you currently in regards to Christianity, user? What is your denomination, for starters. I can answer your question from there. Provide as much info as possible and you can get a clearer answer.

The Lady of the Dead and Thales that venerate her have got to go mi amigo.

>abondoning your religion because a pope who no longer has the ability to call a crusade and who can't influence foreign policy in the US, the non-Catholic nation that decides these things, didn't do anything

Cool bro. Also Raymond Burke must be the next pope.

I don't even understand how the Pope can recognize Islam as a legitimate religion let alone get on his knees kiss their feet and call for co-operation. Islam was founded by a man who came after Christ and named himself a Prophet. The Bible specifically states that people like him are frauds and leading people to hell. How can you have a religion that Christ himself stated would be fraudulent and leads people astray and work with them as if they're legitimate

pretty sure i'm a Catholic, and i'm following most of the rules pretty well aside from having not been to church yet

TFW I find it hard to attend mass. It's too early, I'm tired, it's cold.

I will say though: /christian/ loves it.

They're a bunch of heretics I thought? I heard the Itialians and Spanish raved about how good it was.

Catholic here. Observing the Old Rite and Byzantine Rite. Really torn by my love for Orthodoxy and the welcome I've felt in their parishes. The attitudes I sometimes encounter from my fellow Latins are less than appealing. I pray often that our Churches find full communion with each other.

it spread doubt about the divinity of Jesus throughout the Levant and was one of the theological pinnings behind mohammed's teaching

additionally, by breaking with Rome they created an atmosphere were they would be easily conquered
the same thing happened with Arianism in North Africa; Christianity wasn't united and it let Islam come in and dominate

Inquisition is the solution
Every cartel member should be put to death
You cannot be a cartel member and a practicing Catholic

You're so fucking wrong. The Chaldean church broke off of the Assyrian Church in the 1500's. The communities that were Christian then are still Christian today.

We even gave the Lebs Christianity, they even spoke a dialect of Aramaic before Arabic. The missionaires who spread it to India still have a huge community till this day.

>I pray often that our Churches find full communion with each other.
I don't see this happening ever. We've just drifted too far apart and the whole Orthodox world seems really skeptical as they believe coming together in full Communion again would mean compromising on their doctrine/dogma. I would agree with that too. We should just settle for close ecumenical relations.

Why do religious people sit on a high horse when talking but the horse looks like a stinky mule?

Intereesting article on the absolute state of the papacy.
spectator.co.uk/2017/01/why-more-and-more-priests-cant-stand-pope-francis/

Kek'd good there.

I still don't understand why people argue that it's not sodomy.

my point exactly.

This tired and cliched criticism of Christians is actually quite self-righteous, and therefore hypocritical, in itself.

I'm not sure what you're protesting from my post

>The Chaldean church broke off of the Assyrian Church in the 1500's
when Tamerlane slaughtered the great majority of them?

Doing God's work as usual Wolfshiem. Only tripfag other than Scooby (rip) that actually contributes something. Keep up the good work.

Daily reminded that Paganism is the key.

Alright.
Catholic parishes run something called RCIA for new people. It's "Rite of Catholic Initiation for Adults" and is basically an Intro to Catholicism class where they go topic to topic once a week and you can ask as much as you like. This may be your best bet for grasping the Catholic lifestyle and worldview, but we can probably answer specific questions in more detail here too so feel free to come to us every Sunday too.

In terms of the Catholic spiritual life - outside of just church practices and sacraments (do tell me if you don't know this word) - I find St. Therese provides a valuable condensation of the spiritual path that is extremely difficult but applicable to even novices:

>“Miss no single opportunity of making some small sacrifice, here by a smiling look, there by a kindly word; always doing the smallest right and doing it all for love.”

By "love" I don't mean being nice but willing the good of all things without self-interest. This Catholic spiritual life is the seeking of what we call "spiritual fulfillment" or what is more popularly known as "inner peace" or "inner joy". The Catholic worldview and the life of the church are part of supporting this but the most basic element applicable to everyone in the Christian spiritual life is that quote. That is God's will for us. What is viewed as "rules" are elements of that spiritual path that is elaborated in detail for novices to get a better handle of things and to resolve confusion.

It's never going to happen. And I don't see the point of trying to reconcile with a church that constantly demands we apologize for a secular issue stemming from a Emperor not paying the fucking Venitian and French mercenaries who he hired, while they constantly try to assert their spiritual superiority over us.

It's the perfect solution but most Catholics aren't ready for it. At the very least we need a solid declaration of heresy from the see. That will prevent most of the good people caught up in it from continuing at the least.

Nicea III in 2025 seems promising. First formal counsel with east and west participating in a millenia.

Interesting article. I always perceived Francis as a soft, compassionate person. Just another example of a public person who manages their persona so well you might as well be reading about a completely different person to the one he is privately.

I think he has done his faith a grave disservice though. In these days the Church needs to take a stronger stand against degeneracy than ever, not appease modern western people by saying "Ok atheists can go to heaven and divorced people can receive communion". The Church needs to be a rock, especially in turbulent times. Francis has sold out Catholics by trying to be hip and appeal to millennials instead of standing strong and saying "No, this is what the Bible says, this is what Christ says and that will not change ever:

Not entirely, but there is a rise of Protestantism on there. Pic related came from /christian/.

What teachings they have are valuable to others as it is themselves. Just because people know the way doesn't mean they are always accepting of it. I find it best to accept truth regardless of whom I hear it.

>Nicea III in 2025
This is the first of I've heard of this. What are we in for, lads?

>Nicea III in 2025
I still want to believe.
This would be fucking amazing.

I've misjudged him too it seems. I had been fond of saying that "Christians need a Lion in these times, and with Pope Francis we got a sheep."

It seems we got a Jackal instead.

Thats what they get for playing politics. Francis was selected specifically because he would soften the image of the Catholic Church after hardline Benedict. Choosing a Pope based on who would be a better public face for the organization is just stupid

>North Africa
The 'Maghreb' was solidly Latin Catholic even under the Vandals and the Byzantine reconquest (Arianism vanished almost completely and the Catholics even established a modus vivendi with the remaining Donatists due to both getting persecuted), and based Carthage was the No.2 see in the entire Latin West. It was Justinian who fucked over their hierarchy and intelligentsia (see the Three Chapters affair) and Pope Vigilius selling out didn't help matters; there was no theological star from Latin North Africa (which historically been the Latin Church's theological heartland and powerhouse) after the 6th century save for Maximus Confessor (a Greek transplant).

Basically it started as an anniversary celebration between patriarchs and the pope but people are pushing for an actual ecumenical council and its all up in the air what could go down.

If interests with Russia improve this may be likely.

>Fatima proclaims the consecration of Russia to Mary
>Russia becomes religious again
>Christianity resolves east/west schism and US and Europe/Russia relations in a single blow

So if self-righteous is hypocritical, then anyone that exhibits such trait is headed to hell.

I think we have reached a point in the debate over origins that there is a very high probability that we have been created by some kind of supreme being or that we exist in a simulation. I want to believe in the bible again, but I am struggling.

There are many people who are good Christians and good Catholics. I have personally met such people and highly respect their dedication to good morals and ethics. My problem is that the God of the bible is no where near as good as these believers. While today's Christians see abortion as murder, and rightfully so in my opinion, the bible is mum. At best, the bible sees miscarriage caused by violence as a civil fine, purposely not equating it with murder (Lev. 21:22-25). On top of that the bible allows degenerate practices such as polygamy, which undermines civilization and breaks down the family unit. Such decisions makes me question the goodness of God. If the law is truly written in our hearts, than why is this disgusting to me?

I think that Christians have done a great job of putting aside these nasty practices, but that doesn't change the bible's stance on these issues. How can God be good if he expressedly condones such degenerate behavior? I would like someone's view on this, as it's something I deeply struggle with.

If you know the way and you don't accept it, you are lying.

>An African cardinal would probably be the most steadfast in standing up to a sinful world.
>Sup Forums and most of the aut-right would bitch over "not muh white pope".
That would be hugely annoying.

>don't look at Sup Forums for months
>come back to see what's new
>Catholic generals every Sunday
>mfw

No, there was a dispute in the Patriarchal succession (it had become hereditary-uncle to nephew) and those opposed to the practice had Mar John Sulaka comsecrated by the Pope (CE canon law requires Patriarchal consecration by a metropolitan), and his line emerged as a rival to the old one.

Through the travails of history the lines of succession of the CCC and the ACoE swapped, and the Chaldean Church now has the old line (that of Mar Eliya plus a third, Catholic line from Amida)

They used to be a regular occurrence, as well as Christianity Generals. They got drowned out in Trumpmania last year, and moved to /his/ I think

I wasn't joking when I said Raymond Burke. Sarah is, ironically, too Afrocentric.

Marry me please

checked and kek'd. Anyone who is interested with that filth should be gassed.

>Burke,
Please God, him or Ranjith.
> Tagle, Archbishop and Patriarch of Manila and all the Far East
Libera nos, Domine

Sorry m8, married already.

Pretty sure any person struggling to overcome addiction does no lie in saying they should stop, even when failing in the struggle.

Totally agree.

I find it important to note the difference in understanding God they had at the time. This is reflected in the Mosaic Law especially, where they had a law that was made for them at the time. God how he's understood - the great metaphor of "father" - is just a part of that. What they put themselves through or went into generally was highly reflective of what they were capable as a people and how they grasped what was going on based on what knowledge they had (referencing God being anthropomorphized in several places). The distinction between what they were ready for and God's law is very stark when comparing Mosaic Law to what Jesus taught.

All that said, it does not mean the OT's political violence and warfighting is worthless to us now. Origen had a decent understanding and justification he taught:

youtube.com/watch?v=1A65Wfr2is0

This is decent to explain it, though I feel it ignores the reality of the violence described.
Generally though, your views of the morality of Old Testament law are entirely justified. Mosaic Law is a preparation for God's law in full, which is known now as Christianity or "The New Covenant" which is a doing away of the ceremonial and civic aspects of Mosaic Law while retaining and expanding on what is eternal: the moral law.

You need to brush up on the Catholic understanding of the Bible, user.

Further, if you find talk of "origins" very interesting I'd recommend looking into Divine Conservation as it's more valuable and relevant a topic.

Are you a girl?

Patriarch Kirill doesn't strike me as someone who would easily go along with any of that but I remain hopeful given how well the last meeting went.

Checked, but man.

Good post, user.

Explain me why the sunday instead of saturday?

My Catholic grade school sucked. The nun I had in 1st grade was a bitch and I ended up going to public school.

Then I went to a Catholic high school and it was pretty damn amazing.

A person like you addicted to lying won't be able to stop, ever...

Patriarch Kirill lives with a longtime mistress and lost the entire church of Kiev because he allowed his church to act as a political tool in exchange for tax favors in his cigarette business. He will also be ideally dead by 2025.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm#2175

Evidence for any of this?
Don't think so ill of people, user. Hope for repentance.

Get fucked you cunt

God Bless you user.

But it puts the curch power as above the words of God writed by his own finger, it even is the only commandment that starts with the word "remember".

see

>But it puts the curch power as above the words of God
user, all actions to deliver and teach the doctrine of Christ within the church are guided by the Holy Spirit. This is how the Bible and its canon were even established. This extends from Christ's teachings to the apostles.

Why does this board exists when everything pol stands for flies in the face of Jesus and his teachings ?

The Catholic Church is not a gated community. Jesus himself surrounded himself with the disheveled and lowest in society. We come to bring the hospital for sinners to those in need.

Why does this thread exist*

Well, I'm glad they're back. Looks like I may stop by Sup Forums more often.

Meaning I can go to heaven while being a fascist neo Nazi scumbag wanting to kill everyone who isnt pure Aryan ?
Does that make any sense to you ?

The holy spirit would never contradict the words inspired by him, much leas words written by God's own finger.

Typical "Catholic" supporter. It's getting old... try a different strategy.

Consider adding "Columba Aspexit" to the reccomeded music.

youtu.be/BpmMeIQywYc

>Go to a parish whose patron saint is literally the Patron Saint of Catechisms
>Go to the parish library and study from the catechism
>see long time parish goer walk in
>mfw she sees what I'm reading and asks "is 'Catechism' a good book?"

¿Cómo van mis hermanos católicos?

¡Alabado sea el Señor!

Well?

Its just that warm catholic charm you hear all the time about

I can second this. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

One if my main concerns is: the show portrays practically every member of clergy as being cynical and potentially atheistic. In addition, there is nudity and sexually explicit scenes which I did not feel were appropriate or in any way needed.

Look up Lidia Leonova, she lives with him in his multi-million dollar penthouse in the House on the Embankment.

Also here is this. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate was urged to support the ceasefire and annexation of Crimea. Which has resulted in the church losing members and Ukrainians nit in that region that actually wants to be Russia fucking off to other churches.

>mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBREA4F0HE20140516?