Why have you not read / listened to D-day through German eyes yet? Pretty eye-opening even for a non-fashy

Why have you not read / listened to D-day through German eyes yet? Pretty eye-opening even for a non-fashy.
Series of interviews with German ww2 soldiers translated. pretty cool & important.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Normandiefront-D-Day-Through-German-Eyes/dp/0752459783
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rolling_Thunder
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why did d day even happen? It seems like an awful and outdated military strategy to just rush a beach with a massive army of men and hope the last groups survive.

Did the military leaders know they were sending their men to their deaths?

>Did the (((military leaders))) know they were sending their men to their deaths?
They did it to send men to their deaths.

Of course they knew, but it was relatively early in the war, and with some of the diversion tactics the manpower there could be expended.

They also believed that a lot of the Germans would die during the initial barrages, which they didn't, and at best incapacitated a few bunkers, but most were operational.

It was a numbers game, whether or not the Germans would have and effective use more bullets then the US had men.

>1944
>early in the war

For the most part they did. This was back when war required a strong ground game and so taking some part of France to stage further pushes was essential. Air support was still in its infancy, so really the best way to move that many bodies was by boat.

They also played a lot of mind game with the Germans by making fake deployments to other beaches and such as a way to try and divert the forces and make it more manageable. Really only Omaha was terrible, which is coincidentally the one the US landed on.

Please tell me how you're going to get ten divisions into an unfriendly Europe.

Early for the US, relatively speaking

D-day was a stunning success, even with Ohama. Beach landings are, without a doubt, the most difficult military operation imaginable. The fact that they managed to pull it off with so few casualties (relatively) is a testament to the skill of the Allied armies and a proof that fortune favors the brave (and foolish).

it was more than 2.5 years into it, well past the US's halfway point

what the hell are you talking about

>Please tell me how you're going to get ten divisions into an unfriendly Europe.

I'm not saying I know. I'm saying I wouldn't have sent so many men to die in such a way. There had to have been a better way.

Those men never had a chance.

This one is good.
amazon.co.uk/Normandiefront-D-Day-Through-German-Eyes/dp/0752459783

Landings on the coast are your only option unless you decide to land all the ground troops in Russia and only fight on the Eastern Front.

>Really only Omaha was terrible
None of them would have been be much fun.

>Germany, Britain, USSR at war for longer than US at this point, 5 years-ish
>US enters 2.5 years before D-Day, at war for about half as long as other countries then
>Had more manpower to try something like D-Day versus having fought for most of the beginning of the war and lost a lot of people and material early on
>Different strategies would have been used, more than likely, if they did not have the same amount of manpower available then as compared to fighting since 1939
>ballsier strategies more viable
Am I missing something?

I know, but why didn't we bomb them twice as long, why didn't we wait for a more opportune time?

>just rush a beach
Go back to school faggot

Are you a woman, by any chance?

>Nearly 160,000 troops crossed the English Channel on D-Day,[30] with 875,000 men disembarking by the end of June.[188] Allied casualties on the first day were at least 10,000, with 4,414 confirmed dead.

That's

Because bombing doesn't do shit to hardened bunkers.

shut the fuck up faggot.

When you tell someone you drove to the store, do you proceed to tell them how you reached in your pocket, took out your key, put it in the car door lock, turned the key, opened the door, sat down in your car, started the car, put your seat belt on, and then drove to the store?

I don't need those feels that's why.

I have read this book and its sequel which is just more of the same its was very interesting read to read the Germans keep referring to the anger and aggression of the British troops they almost seemed surprised by it

No, I just don't see why American lives should have been used in such a way for a European war

because that doesn't work
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rolling_Thunder

Because the invasion needed:

* clear weather for bombing
* calm seas for crossing
* high tide so as to have as little open beach as possible (needs full moon)
* full moon so as to have bombing at night

So that means in the late spring/summer, during a full moon. If you add the weather to it, that only gives you a window of two-three days every month. In addition, time was of the essence: letting the soviets take over the entirety of western europe (Germany's defeat was already certain at that point) would've lead to a whole different world.

As for why there wasn't more bombing: precision bombing hadn't been invented yet, the bombers were told not to once the invasion had started (for fear of friendly fire), there was massive lack of information about where the targets were, how well the bombing had been, etc. And, very importantly: the navy fucked things up by not bombing much, much harder. In short, it went like all battles go: pure chaos and confusion, not everything goes according to plan, but they pulled through and made do and achieved their goals.

Because if they hadn't, you would not be speaking English or German, but Russian.

You are an unimaginable faggot

Agreed, but Omaha was a literal hell on earth during the invasion. The others were significantly more manageable

Because then the Germans would know exactly where were going to land. Normandy was chosen as it was further away and so seemed a less likely invasion point. Bombing it for weeks would mean the Germans would know to prepare extra defences.

If America stayed out, the Russians wouldn't have made it passed polen.

80% of the Germany forces were already on the Eastern front by then, and losing terrain. The invasion was a mad dash by the Allies to ensure not all of Western Europe (and its colonies) fell to communism. It was a great kill steal.

Who gave all the firepower to Russia again?