Philosophy General

Philosophy General

I've seen a few threads with posts about where to start or asking questions.

Post your questions and comments here. I'll do my best to answer everyone.

>Philosophy is about arguments.
>Start with a copy Plato's Republic that explains the metaphors and arguments Plato is making.
> Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics is another good place to start.
>Interesting sub-genres include philosophy of religion, science, ethics, and metaphysics.

>Inb4 for Philosophy is useless (I relied on my study of formal logic when self-learning software development). We also make good lawyers and entrepreneurs. Several billionaires and other important people have philosophy degrees.

List of short, condensed philosophy books:
>Riddles of Existence
>Philosophy of Religion by William J. Wainwright and William L. Rowe (2 seperate books that are written by an atheist and Christian philosopher that present their side's arguments)
>Plato at the GooglePlex

and then the other 99% of people who have philosophy degrees work for minimum wage.

>Not an argument

A good place to start is to simply understand what life being meaningless truly means. You have to start asking questions yourself and not just read Plato or some shit.

>Nihilsm isn't a philosophy. It's not constructive and leads nowhere. Blue pilled shill detected.

Bump

Do something useful with your life
Being a puesdo intellectual is not a good idea

Are you saying philosophy is pseudo intelectualism?

Any good books on American political philosophy? I'd like to learn about what we had before we destroy it in a few days.

Im saying unless you have a PHD in philosophy your are a pseudo intellectual and your opinion doesn't matter
Also it's a useless and impractical degree

Read John Locke and John Stewart Mill. They're the foundation for American political philosophy. Ludwig von mises is another good contemporary philosopher.

I read the republic, and every element within it has already been fully implemented into existing society, including the homosexual relationships with children

quit thinking you're going to contribute something that someone else didn't already think of: it's vain, and a waste of your life

read about cutting edge science instead, or if you simply must be philosophical, choose a writer that has something unexpected to say, like GK Chesterson

based on your question, i think you would be better off reading rosseau and marx.

>Practical BC it's the one major where you actually learn logic. Very useful for software developers, lawyers, and almost any profession.
>Philosophers don't have opinions, we make arguments.
>Try reading some philosophy. It's clear you haven't

Nihilism is a transitional kiddie philosophy, not where you anchor belief and conviction. Stop giving other people advice.

>The republic is not about politics. It's about finding the nature of justice.
>There is no pedophilia is republic. The character of Socrates argues against pedophilia.
>You didn't read the republic

You are correct good sir

>Very useful for software developers, lawyers, and almost any profession.
You could become those without studying philosophy
You study philosophy to work at Starbucks

You must understand formal logic to become an above average developer or lawyer. You're obviously not in either profession. Don't talk about things you don't understand.

I see how Locke fits in, but how is John Stuart Mill part of the foundation of American political philosophy?

Thanks. Rousseau looks pretty good

wow, I guess your goal really is to obscure knowledge, you guys are as consistent as jews

the symposium is an instruction manual on the best way to seduce boys

ill leave you to your sodomy and vanity

PENIS

I'm talking about exclusively studying Philosophy. That's my point.

You haven't read the symposium have you? The Symposium is about the nature of beauty. Socrates speaks against sexual pleasure as low level pleasure. Socrates speaks against pedophilia in the symposium. Blue pilled shill detected.

The symposium has one of the most eloquent dick jokes ever written (no lie).

OK, fair enough. Hence why Aristotle was critical of Socrates not living a "good life." I.e. not enough time spent doing things besides philosophy; like making money for his family.

>Don't talk about things you don't understand.
For a "philosopher" you seem to like to use ad hominem fallacys

OK. Argue your point. How is anything you said true?

OP, if this thread dies you should make one on /lit/. Much slower board.

Grant me: you didn't offer an argument originally.

I don't need to argue anymore you agreed with me

Noted. Thanks!

Sorry, I thought you were "Plato is a pedophile" guy.

Does anyone have any more books to add?

You idioits he is not reference nihilism he is talking about stocism maybe even proto stocism aka cynicism

I'll try again later tonight. I really like Sup Forums better

Possibly but even Marcus Aurelius doesn't frame stoicism that way.

While true whats more important? Petty things or higher things?

Autodidact look it up.

Good point. Do you leave the cave or stay in. Even if the cave is comfy?

That's me

I would argue philosophy makes you a better autodidact

Knowledge is liberating so leave the cave.

Rousseau is shit. Don't bother.

What's your thoughts on revenge?

>Philosophy in the current year

Sorry bud our (((overlords))) have already decided that everything is subjective and there are no truths

Why do you need a degree to study it in the first place? You can find time to it even with other things in your life. History and philosophy are not subjects you need to shell out 30 grand to study, everything is available to you free on the internet.

Philosophy is useful as a minor concentration in one's degree. Major in something useful in STEM, and minor in philosophy. You'll be infinitely more employable than the autists who can't do math, or the autists that can't write.

>Do something useful with your life
>Being a puesdo intellectual is not a good idea

Oh the irony. A pseudo intellectual argument decrying the basis of all intellectual fields of study from someone who can barely spell.

If you haven't studied philosophy then your knowledge is a skyscraper without foundations. Enjoy the next light breeze, degenerate.

This. Getting a degree in it is pretty fucking retarded if it's the only thing you're doing.
If you want to into philosophy just get some books and think about what you read

Define revenge

I agree with you. What I was saying is until humanity values things like philosophy over petty things that money bring then will humanity may be better.

If everything was subjective, common language would be impossible and objective Universal's non existent (e.g. 2+2=4).

Based response user. I totally agree

It helps to have a guide, sage, master of the subject. Read: diotima's ladder from Plato's symposium

Fair enough.

>He doesn't know that math and language are social constructs
Your white-male patriachly tricks won't work on me. Everything is subjective and equal that's why you are satan if you don't let all of Africa into your country.