18 million Americans would lose insurance in first year of Obamacare repeal without replacement

washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/17/18-million-would-lose-insurance-in-first-year-of-obamacare-repeal-without-replacement-cbo-report-says/

>The number of people without insurance would grow to about 32 million within the first decade if congressional Republicans follow a 2015 plan to repeal the health-care law without an alternative, the new report says. It also estimates that health insurance premiums for people buying individual non-group coverage would double within a decade, further complicating GOP promises that people will not lose coverage under their plan.

>The report comes as Republican leaders in Washington are working furiously to tamp down concerns within their ranks that a speedy push to repeal major portions of the law known as Obamacare could create chaos in the insurance markets and provoke a backlash from voters.

>Over the weekend, President-elect Donald Trump promised in an interview with The Washington Post that he was nearing completion of a plan to provide “insurance for everybody.” Trump did not provide any details of what that plan would include, but his timeline and promises of coverage for everyone clash starkly with the CBO report estimating that millions of people would lose coverage.

>The report increases the pressure on Republicans to come up with a replacement plan that fills in the gaps for Americans covered by the ACA while adhering to GOP principles.

>Sylvia Mathews Burwell, the outgoing secretary for health and human services, told reporters that the CBO report showed the importance of having a replacement health-care plan ready when the ACA is repealed. But as of now, “we really haven’t seen a plan,” she said. “An outline is not a plan. A framework is not a plan.”

Other urls found in this thread:

cbo.gov/publication/52371?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=812526&utm_campaign=Express_2017-01-17_10:30
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Washington Post

Fake News

liek if u cri evrytiem

what about medicare. that's not part of obamacare they would be on that.

I will lose my coverage as an independent contractor. So this year I will get every fricking medical test known to man while I still can.

>Be me
>Can't afford health insurance so do without
>Keep my self healthy so I rarely have to go to the doctor
>Suddenly Obamacare appears
>Literally get a court summons because I haven't gotten health insurance through their program yet
>Get fined $5000 and still forced to get something I can't afford
>Go even more into debt

Fuck Obamacare, this is just like dealing with the Mafia but at least the Mafia is reasonable.

Reported for fake news.

Also if Trump does nothing, not only will Obamacare cause millions of people to lose their insurance because of all the health insurance companies pulling out with major losses, it will also briefly put extreme premiums on the working population who will be forced to pay the fine instead of being insured, as it is the cheaper option.

So all in all, Obama uninsured everyone in America and left Trump to clean up the mess.

Having said that, it is utterly retarded to spend more resources on fixing 1 person than he/she ever produces. If you can't afford your own healthcare, you simply aren't worth it.

We need universal healthcare for crying out loud.

Fuck off, is that actually how that shit works?

Obamacare is a cash grab. The insurance is just dog shit. It's not real insurance.

Yes.

Yes

2008:
>Uninsured

2017:
>Uninsured
>Still charged 2.5% of my income

Great plan, about as much forethought as any nigger based idea.

fpbp

>anything that doesn't paint the GOP in a positive light is "fake news"
>didn't even read the article before dismissing it

Have we entered the post-truth age?

18 million of the most impoverished unproductive niggers of society losing their insurance so literally everyone else isn't crushed by ridiculous premiums and taxes on theirs seems like a fair tradeoff.

Yes. There is a reason Trump wants to abolish this shit and the only people that are complaining are the rich leftists that get insurance through mommy and daddy.

>Sign up or get fined

That's called a tax. If they weren't trying to be shifty about it they'd call it what it is.

Court summons for Obamacare? Never heard that before. I just pay the fine which this year will be around $500. That sucks but it's cheaper than insurance with deductibles so high as to make it worthless.

Half of my family is murican and that's not how that shit works.

It's Washington Post, did you sleep through the last 6 months? They're about as reliable as weekly world news nowadays

You misunderstand. What is fake is the premise that 100% of people need health insurance.

Yes, which is what the supreme court said it was when it was in front of them. That it is legal as long as it is considered a tax.

Most of those 18 mil cant even use their coverage because because of the insanely high deductibles. Also, everyone doesnt have to be, and shouldnt, have health insurance. If Democrats werent so doshonest about this from the get go, they might have won.

>Court summons for Obamacare?
i'm calling bullshit

I imagine the summons was for not paying the fine. Aka being delinquent to the tax man.

>I will get every fricking medical test known to man while I still can.

Isn't that a terrible idea?

If they discover something serious you will have a precondition and won't be able to get insurance ever again.

They will probably get a better deal.

Medicare can be altered so that fewer people are on it and that it covers fewer people.

The big thing about Obamacare is the marketplace and the subsidies (along with a few small provisions for things like pre-existing and such).

The Market place will probably stick around for the most part but the subsidies will be what hurts people the most if they're removed.

It needs to be amended but I wouldn't say it needs to be full out removed.
Like, as it stands now, the individual mandate without any ceilings on healthcare premiums or buy-ins is basically just a subsidy to the insurance companies.

cbo.gov/publication/52371?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=812526&utm_campaign=Express_2017-01-17_10:30

For those calling fake news. Read the fucking report

Oh yeah, wow! Big numbers!
But just how many of the 18 millions actually want the insurance?

Yes, I have insurance through my employer that I pay 50$ a month for, but if I had to go through the market place, I would have to pay 300$/month, because my income is too high for federal subsidy.

If I don't have health insurance this years fine would be 1200$, per uninsured person on my tax return. Me and my wife make 2, so 2400. Which is still less than paying 600/month for both of us.

If I tried to add her to my employers health plan, I would pay 800/month. My employer eats most of the cost for me to be insured, but pretty much says fuck off on family.

I only make 2000 a month, so you can see how that might destroy my financial capabilities. Some people are totally pigeonholed by obamacare. 18m people losing insurance is ok by me, if you look at that % of the US population it's somewhere around 8%. If the other 92% of us can be better off financially then I'm totally fine with it.

>Never heard that before

Because I refused to pay the fine and had no money in my account, so they couldn't seize my assets or garnish my wages since I was unemployed at the time. So they took me to court and sued me.

Trump wants to keep the pre existing condition mandate, but wants insurers to be able to adjust their prices accordingly. AKA, a free market.

That makes more sense. Wonder if that user is a "Sovereign Citizen".

I can't wait until I "lose" my Obamacare insurance. Then I can go buy a cheaper plan.

>insanely high deductibles.

How high is insanely high?

Mine is 800 euro's, but I would raise it to 10k is it were legal here (which for some retarded reason it isn't).

Interesting point.

>18 million Americans would lose insurance in first year of Obamacare repeal
How many of them are here illegally?
Most white Americans _that don't have insurance already_ cant afford obongo care.

>What is fake is the premise that 100% of people need health insurance.
Do you mean health insurance or health care?

Health insurance isn't necessary but health care, particularly for conditions and illnesses you contract outside of your control, is something the government ought to insure if it bothers paying for shit like police and firemen.

>posts a pic of a white family
the deception. nobody cares about giving health insurance to nigger subhumans who hate us and murder us in the streets

>wants insurers to be able to adjust their prices accordingly.

So if you have cancer it will cost $500k to get insured, enough to cover your treatment?

>the marketplace
There ia no marketplace for health insurance because you cant shop around for lower prices and there is little to no competition depending on your state. Thats why prices are high, and Obamacare only compounds the issue by removing even more competition. What a surprise, the government makes things even worse when it intervenes. You may be paying less, but millions of people are forced to buy insurance they dont need to subsidize you. Not to mention the thousands of small businesses thst have gone bankrupt because of Obamacare mandates.

$6500 is the max out of pocket, and also the max deductible.

You have to pay more to have a lower deductible.

So, someone like me who makes over $40k / yr has to pay full market price. Right now I pay $330 / month in premiums (because the rates went up by 25% this year). I have what they call the silver plan, its the 2nd teir of 4. My deductible is $2500. If I had the platinum plan for $400+, the deductible would be $500 I believe (or $1500, I forgot).

To put this in perspective, in 2008 I used to pay $56 / month. I now pay literally 6x more than that. I pay for 5 other leaches who can't manage to scrape up a measly 40k/yr.

This cow is running out of milk and patience.

>Charged $400/mo for shitty ACA MonkeyMed™ Insurance

>$7800 deductible

>Everything else is useless also

>Government is paying $250/mo of it anyways

>TFW on "welfare" at gunpoint

SHHEEEIIIIIT

They should get insurance elsewhere

I was one of the 10 million original Obamacare participants.
I was part of it because Obamacare caused my company dripped their insurance due to government regulations.

It's not Trump's fault I will lose my insurance when Obamacare is repealed. It's Obama's and the Democrats.

The bottom of the barrel plan that would exempt me from this years fine has a deductible of 6000$ with no copay on preventative.

Essentially it only covers you after you've spent 6k, which if you pay 300/month on it, means you're better off uninsured.

>Keep my self healthy so I rarely have to go to the doctor

Sure, obviously you can be healthy for the most part by eating right and exercising, but what about those with genetic diseases that can still occur regardless of health? What do you do if you get cancer and have no insurance, despite being healthy when not talking about the tumor?

Why is american healthcare so shit? What could fix it? Why not universal healthcare, since it works in most other first world countries?

Not that Canada is any better, but at least we don't have millions of uninsured.

It's like you have the best (lots of research, best treatments, best doctors) and the worst (people who can't aford care, getting fined, shitty public health measures).

Trying to get a serious answer, no ''leaf pls go''

Responsible people get insured before they get sick. Though its not surprising to me that leftists want to remove personal responsibility and transfer that responsibility to the state.

They can't if they are already collecting insurance for something.

Insurance companies have no interest in insuring someone who they would already need to pay out to.

It's important to note that $6500 is the max out of pocket by federal law and the law also provides for no cap in coverage. If it costs $100 million to keep your ass alive, it's covered with no cost sharing to the patient.

I just called it what it's called, not what it is.

I absolutely agree though. The only provider here is BCBS.

300$/mo for a 6k out of pocket with 6k deductible means you're better off uninsured.

Most other first world countries aren't only 60% white.

>Why not universal healthcare, since it works in most other first world countries?

The American right has fallen for the "universal healthcare = COMMUNISM" meme, even though it's nowhere near close. I really think universal healthcare would work for America if they would just give it a chance.

>Why is american healthcare so shit? What could fix it? Why not universal healthcare, since it works in most other first world countries?
Because when you have a country that is 60% White, you can't have nice things like social safety nets intended for people who aren't naturally inclined to abuse the system. Universal healthcare in a 60% white nation just means white men will have to burden the costs of minorities exploiting the system.

Unless you actually get really hurt, then you're going to be taking a mortgage out to pay for it if you can even secure a loan.

Because ACA is designed to fail so that when the private insurers go bankript, single payer is the only option left.And before that, out of control malpractice jewry driving up prices of malpractice insurance which drives up overall medical costs. Obamacare is nothing but a government power grab under the guise of helping people.

>be me
>be healthy, don't opt into health care because I don't need check-ups or medication
>get a tight virgin wife, pregnancy 4 years later to make sure she's faithful and marriage doesn't screw things up
>Obummer makes healthcare mandatory
>opt into work's plan and birth costs/pediatrician visits aren't too crazy
>Obummer coverage no longer mandatory but now have wife and kid on plan so might as well stay put, hopefully costs drop

better than expected, I am not embedded in all the "wahhhh, can't get free hormones" or whatever people are crying about

I die or take out a loan I can repay slowly, even though we all know cancer treatments are obscurely over priced and lengthy.

Honestly if I die before I go senile that is fine with me, at least I don't have to continue watching what a shit state this world of ours is in get worse.

YOU GOYS NEED YOUR STATE-SANCTIONED HEALTH CARE OR YOU'RE GONNA GET SICK AND DIE AND YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO PAY FOR IT! LET BIG BROTHER TAKE CARE OF YOU!

>18 million Americans would lose
319 million "A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶s̶" burgers DID lose

considering that for example testicular cancer will cost you around $24k best case and beyond $125k worse case in the US, $6.000 sounds like not too much.
btw: same treatments here in Germany: €2k / €50k / and €1.500 / €280 monthly
(I know because me and a friend had basically the same treatment)

That's a shit tier plan, m8. Or how about this? You're driving and a drunk driver with no insurance or money hits you on the highway and you're stuck with a $30,000 medical bill because you almost died and had to be nursed back to health.

terrible bait

No credibility, not worth reading.

>you're better off uninsured.

On average, insurance is always more expensive than no insurance.
Else the insurance companies would lose money.

That's why I'm in favor of high deductibles and only insuring against expenses you can't easily afford.

I usually have around 10k on my debit card, so that's a nice amount to spend before having to activate insurance.

Those are good arguments, but as a healthy young american, it's money down the drain. As I said in a previous post, I make too much for subsidy, and getting one of those bottom of the barrel plans would break me financially.

So I just have to go without and hope for the best.

Though I'm not actually going without, as I also said previously, my employer pays for my insurance plan almost entirely.

Yeah. I thought about that. I'm already diagnosed with bipolar II and hypertension. If I have a stoke or a bad manic episode, I will still be treated and pay nothing. Funny how things work here.

And a flash flood could sweep away my house but theyre rare enough that its not worth it. Its a cost benefit analysis, and individuals should be able to make that analysis for themselves. Yet another case where lefties want to transfer personal responsibility into the hands of big daddy gubbamint

>without replacement

Also what about this scenario: You want to buy insurance, but no company wants to sign you up for it because you have a pre existing condition that you've had since you were a child. Now what?

ok, first of all, the mandate is the only thing that allows pre existing conditions coverage to exist. the costs would be too high if everyone was covered with no healthy people paying.

not sure how the marketplace lowers prices. subsidies sure, but my impression is they are marginal.

medicare would still exist for the poor. if you don't have a job you qualify for medicare.

>We should all suffer to keep the defectives alive!

I never even claimed to be a lefty, I'm just saying that MUH FREE MARKET is not always the best solution to every problem. I think in a white society, we should have an optional state run government healthcare system available for all, while allowing those who have the money to pay for their own private health services.

Yes

I agree, however, I don't have so much saved. It's just a shit situation. Not all of us work great jobs and make enough money to pay all the bills and save any reasonable amount. That may change in the near future, but right now it's not the case. Still in the early stages of building my career.

i think there are companies that exist for that situation. of course they are more expensive but so is the healthcare.

Checked

>We should let people with easily curable conditions die because Jewish owned insurance companies are too Jewish to even provide service to people who need insurance.
Good goy indeed.

I have auto insurance so I would be fine there.

I would most likely hire a lawyer and file for deferment, sue the man who hit me and have his wages garnished monthly to pay for my medical bills.

>we all know cancer treatments are obscurely over priced and lengthy

Yeah sure, maybe that is because of substances like carbo-platin.of wich you get plenty in a staged chemo. take a guess why it is expensive and also know that cytostatic substances are usually mixed on demand and on short notice. Or made in a cyclotron.
And they work. That's the best part.
Remember this when one of your loved ones battles cancer.

if it's easily curable it's not expensive. at least stick to a coherent scenario if you want to discuss the situation.

I think health insurance should be mandatory exactly BECAUSE people are irresponsible.

Stop niggers from free riding and only getting insured when they know they are seriously ill/injured.

if Obamacare is so damn expensive then why the hell is it called the "Affordable" Care Act? It should be called the Unaffordable Care Act.

Gotta love Obama

>We got 20 MILLION AMERICANS the right to health insurance!

Oh, goody, that's like, 2/30 of the population. 6 2/3 %!

Maybe put some more funding into hopsitals and so on, A bit more federal (or at least statewide) social healthcare would be a good thing. People won't be required to provide health insurance for their employees if they can't afford to (as commendable as it is to do that).

It's good for the free market.

Also, Trump said 'smart trade not free trade'. You don't think that he kinda doesn't liek a free market, do you? I mean large businessmen want monopolies, and a free market implies consumer choice, which means no monopoly.

I get the feeling he might try to use the law, not just to look after his own interests like line his pockets with a deal, the typical textbook shit, but actually manipulate the law and alter it, even, to give hhimself a monopoly.

>not sure how the marketplace lowers prices. subsidies sure, but my impression is they are marginal.
The gubberment is paying 2/3s of my monthly premium. They set the subsidization based on your expected income for the year. it remains static, whatever the plan you choose. You can choose to use some, none, or all of it.

he is overstating the amount but yes, you receive a fine if you do not purchase their shitty, overpriced insurance

this is one of 2 logical solutions.

the other is denying healthcare at the door of the hospital to people who don't have insurance or cash/valuables in hand. the solution you proposed is more likely to be palatable.

if it's not an emergency, you can still go to other countries to get treatment.
friend of mine was worried that he might not get his prescription psycho-drugs. turns out that in Iceland not even the psychiatric treatment is free for students, but also his yearly supply of drugs was 30 bucks for the prescription (because he was foreign) and zero for the pills. Compared to ~$1.500 in the US…

Honestly, m8, the lack of responsibility given to the individual is precisely the reason they're in this mess.

They need a culling of the stupid.

>Sue the man who hit you
>He has nothing but a shitty apartment and a few bottles of vodka
Good job, have fun going through the years of court dates just to get nothing out of him while also getting Jewed by your lawyer.

It's expensive because hospitals make these fees outrageous. They charge an arm and a leg because they can.

Can't wait to watch all Trumpkins crying and dying from this all while saying 'they promised to make it better!'

Going to be a pretty good laf.

Go without?

You're still charged 2.5% of your income.

If you're paying the full rate without subsidy that would mean that 2.5% would probably cost more than just getting the insurance.

I say 'you' even though you have your insurance covered, but I really mean me, because that's what I have to put up with right now. Penalized for making money. Apparently success hurt too many people's feelings.

Good. Survival of the fittest. Hopefully some beached whales dry up by then.

>So?
>They should have thought of that before they decided to become ill or buy a disease they couldn't afford...
>Trump's right.
>They're just thoughtless idiots!

>user-sama! M-muh goalposts are moving on their own!
"pre-existing" does not equal "easily curable", faggot. you're looking for "chronic".

If you're so busted up that you can't get by without advanced medical care, you're a burden unless you're also shitting gold.

It's like when they privatised the trains.

You can't *have* a choice of what train turns up. Just google Southern Rail. Bit off topic, but the pattern is there. Privatisation makes shit worse.

How would theother 92% be better off, anyway?

my subsidy is marginal. i had to lie about my income to sign up for anything above medicare, which i needed. i guess it wasn't a complete lie as i get financial help from friends and family.

How many of those people actually need insurance?

How many paid more in premiums than they would have paid out of pocket?

How many can actually just get different insurance but don't think they can?

>Washington Post
>real news

Pick one.