What do you think about college? Overrated...

What do you think about college? Overrated? Personally I've met a lot of retards in college and also a lot of bookworms that are unable to translate their theoretical knowledge learned in college into practical terms on the job market.

To me it's just a networking opportunity.

Depends on country.

America it's mandatory.

UK it's very, very highly recommended, think it's the same as that in most of europe too.

>To me it's just a networking opportunity.

That's all it is, but even then in America it's not worth paying 100k for networking unless your degree is in a very specified area and you need internships.

You can network for free by crashing company seminars and using LinkedIn (unless it's for something like STEM related)

Yeah well but do you actually learn something? It's mostly theory and companies will eventually train you to do stuff.

>Personally I've met a lot of retards in college
Significantly less than you would meet in any other environment. Also some people that you deem retards might do better than you expect.
>bookworms that are unable to translate their theoretical knowledge learned in college into practical terms on the job market
Sounds like complete speculation. There are plenty of bookworm jobs.

This thread will just be full of people who flunked out or never went telling other people that it's shit.

But you learn a lot, and the things you learn are what employers want to put to work.

It's mostly to see if you can handle being cucked for 4 years and still do your job. If you can handle that then you can probably work for a company somewhere.

>Yeah well but do you actually learn something?

Yeah you learn loads in the UK, you won't use a lot of the stuff you learn in your job though.

I fell for the STEM meme

It sounds like you've attended colleges worldwide to be able to profess as an authority on completely varied academic environments.

I trust your judgment.

>you won't use a lot of the stuff you learn in your job though

You were never meant to utilize every single thing you learned directly. It's supposed to give you a basis to excel within a field with the ability to understand the greater picture.

Philosophy, for instance, won't ever really be important on your job unless you're a teacher, but it can give you insight into ways of learning, epistemology and ontology.. It teaches you critical thinking, which can be very important in many fields.

>But you learn a lot, and the things you learn are what employers want to put to work.

Then why are jobs increasingly unclutched from specific degrees?

>applicant studied programming for four years
>can't even FizzBuzz

a fucking scam. I went in for communications degree, graduated 60k in debt and i cant find a job.

It's just accreditation for being a somewhat competent person.

I'm not criticising that part of college at all, I agree it's important to practise your critical thinking.

>communications degree
>cant find a job.

hmmmmmm

fuck you.

College is a fucking meme. Go to work and learn transferable trade skills while earning a paycheck instead of spending $30,000 to learn about vegan feminism and graduate with a mountain of debt and no actual skills.

Which uni are you in?

Of course it's useless, but you need it to get your foot in the door.

Between my B.A & MBA, I learned nothing at all. Still got my foot in with a great job though.

It also puts people like us in the same boat as the asians and kids that can't speak properly. Too easy to be successful in the business world against nerds

I'm coming up on 2 years unemployment since graduation. Fucking sucks. Now i just get yelled at to get a job at Walmart.

He's majoring in Applied Faggotry at OPU

it depends, my field is economics and has plenty of uses. plus, I'm an American and working on learning German while here meanwhile I'm paying less for tuition, housing, and living costs that one semester of masters tuition in the USA.
Considering I already speak 3 languages and will make this my 4th along with attaining a masters degree, I'm in a good situation.

Few degrees are aimed at one specific job. It's always been this way, though you may only just be getting aware of it.

The classic definition of "liberal arts" comes from the fact that they are not tied to one specific job - encompassing almost all university degrees.

I was just elaborating, because I had the feeling that a certain group of people would take you literally. "wew you don't even use it! useless!"

He's right, y'know. No one to blame but numero uno.

Same shit here. Thats mostly why I backed Bernie.

Go into commission sales. It's the most practical way to earn a 6-figure income based on your education

Don't listen to people that tell you an MBA is a joke. It's a fresh start.

Join the National Guard and consider doing your MBA.

No you backed Bernie because you are a lazy whiny faggot. Seriously, go into sales and earn a living instead of voting for the pity party.

MOST college, like honestly more than 95% of college classes, really don't teach you that much. Those are diamonds in the rough, good classes.

But anyone says that you can just totally discount college and do just as well without going, are deluding themselves. Having a degree and establishing those contacts, that's just the world they've created for us and we have to deal with it, or dismantle it. There's literally no scenario in this country where having a degree is worse than not having it.

UGent

21, midwest, was offered $68k a year for STEM job
Seems pretty guud to me

Is this the new wendy's gourmet chef meme

Still a great idea if you're smart, hardworking, and don't choose a completley shit major.

I'm finishing my bachelors this year and I'm thinking of working a couple of year and then come back and do an MBA.

Unfortunately a mere academic bachelor's degree isn't worth much here. Bachelors are still very much tied to their subsequent masters. So if someone here starts a Bsc. in economics that person does that with the presumption of doing the Msc. in economics too.

I worked hard for that degree. I deserve a job, not endless debt.

Msc econ is a bit of a meme, they usually just get tossed on to research desks. I would strongly suggest an MBA in Finance from a top B-school.

Actually, I remember looking into Europe and was shocked at how easy Oxford Business School was to get into. A GMAT score of 690 for Oxford won't last for very long if you're looking to do it in the next year or two.

pretty much this, just don't go crazy with student loans, get a job in college and you'll be in a decent place when you're done

most of the students complaining about muh debnts are lazy party school kids who are getting buttfucked by interest

You bought into a meme. You don't deserve a job you entitled leftist bitch. Welcome to the real world, faggot. You have to earn your way here. You got the debt you accumulated wasting everyone's time. You don't deserve to waste our money, as well.

Honestly I think we should promote online schools. Students who are self-motivated enough to pass deserve the degree, while lazy fucks who need constant "encouragement" should be able to choose non-graduate careers without societal shame. The resources are all there, but universities are such a cash grab they want you attending a brick and mortar.

"Hey kid, we're all judging you. You MUST go to college or else you'll be a loser with his name on his shirt like those hillbilly Drumpf voters. Better make sure it's a brick/mortar or else it's not real. That will be $15000/year tuition please. Also we require you to live in the dorms for your first year for campus enrichment, or something... Only $1500/month rent. Don't forget your mandatory meal plan! Can't have you going hungry. Did you pay your student health fee yet? No worries we'll just throw it on your tuition bill to ensure all the Chads get "free" condoms. Anyway you best get to calculus, but don't forget to buy your $300 textbook from the campus bookstore, only the 13th edition will be accepted in class. Also this class requires a graphing calculator, so long as it's an official Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Silver Edition! Hope you didn't buy a newer model though, they can do too much they don't allow it on your exam... have fun goys-er-kids, best years of your life, we promise!"

Yeah well I just used it as an example to illustrate the culture here. Point is you're nothing here with an academic bachelors degree.

Yeah oxford is allright but it's expensive as fuck.

This. What bothers me the most about academia is their self-sustainability. Take all those meme degrees for example. You can get a masters or a phd in colonial studies now and everybody will laud you because of how smart you are. While it's all just a bunch of made-up bullshit that was given an academic stamp of approval.

You're basically the emperor with no clothes on.

I wish there were a more open-ended approach to college. I'm not so capable in the classroom environment and it bothers me that any small achievement can be "undone" by not finishing the curriculum "on time".

I mean, if I could sit in a room and study the materials until I was ready to challenge myself with examination, I wouldn't have such an aversion. But as it is, you are made to do tests whether you're ready and familiar with the subject matter or not. Someone might offer some rhetorical dogshit like "well you have to meet deadlines in real life so if you can't do it in college then hurr durrr" but that's asinine. Some people simply don't perform on the same level under artificial pressure. I've held the same job for 9 years, it's not as taxing to meet a deadline in the work environment where you already have a level of familiarity and comfort that allow you to perform at your best by not obstructing you with added stress or distraction. But if I have to take a test next week and I feel like I'd still like to familiarize myself with the material for two more weeks, well, shit doesn't matter. The class has to keep moving.

I wish I could take the coursework at my own pace and finish it in 2 years even if it's an 18 month course, rather than fucking it up on the first run and turning 18 months into 36 months, wasting an extra year.

Does anyone feel me?

Sometimes my girlfriend gives me her phone to look at some shitty Facebook post. In any private circumstance I could read the macro in a couple of seconds, but beneath the "pressure" of her holding it in her hand, waiting on me to read what she's showing me; well, I end up not being able to read it at all. Like, AT ALL. I see every individual word but can't process the parts into a whole because I feel this invisible pressure nagging at me to do it quickly, which itself slows me down. That's how I feel about class work.

Pretty much. Any subject field where you "toe the line". Buy into the structure of the argument and you can replicate it in any setting (feminism, marxism, colonialism etc.).

Idk if online is the way its going but I definitely already see a backlash towards local/commuting schools. It starts with the top end talent deciding that they don't need to prove anything by going to Harvard or UofT

>18/19
>Fell for the "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING" meme
>Tried to go to art school
>Put myself into unbelievable debt because it was a private catholic university where it's $40k+ a semester
>Dropped out because couldn't afford it, couldn't get grants or loans
>Time passed
>Are now 25
>Going to a much more reasonable $40k/year university here in town for my Bio degree, Chem minor
>Full intention of going to med school
>Look at all the 18/19 year olds around me
>Braindead idiot niggers who sleep through classes and still somehow pass to get into the next one
>I'm talking this motherfucker in my French class could not speak a god damn bit of French, spent the semester speaking SPANISH, and still made it into the second half of the class
>Bio classes are 90% women who want to be nurses
>Upper level Bio and Chem classes suddenly lose all but one or two of those women
>Math classes curved to all fucking hell and back, recently had to do a test in my calculus class to see if we were able to be there, test was out of 30 points
>You had to score at least 10/30 in order to be kept in the class, otherwise you were kicked out
>Have to walk through the women's studies department (yes, they get an entire department) to get to my English class
>Literally a fucking daycare, all of their classes are bright colors and you always see "emotional distress" puppies in the classrooms

I have no faith for this generation of babied princesses

I will enjoy drinking their tears when they get their meme degrees while I actually pursue a career

>mfw some rainbow-haired dyke had the audacity to call me a cog in the machine because "nobody REALLY wants to be a doctor, you're just doing it for money"

Yeah, you fat cow. You nailed it. I'm going to school for 10+ years for funsies. Dipshit.

Also if something is stupidly easy id rather get it out if the way and move on.

Lighten your course load. You can take 2 courses per semester. It's what a lot of students are doing with STEM these days (those who don't have a proclivity toward the subjects)

That's not affordable.

Well I'm not so worried about that, I just don't have any confidence in myself.

Well you'd obviously be working a job and taking a night class. Take any online courses possible as well

>trade
what one user?

How long as lectures per course? How much time would you be in class per course?

I don't have any frame of reference for the post-secondary environment. Personally I dropped out of high-school because of reasons.

Depends on what your goal is. I think it's better to not be in college unless you know what you want to get out of it, otherwise you'll just waste time getting a general degree which means absolute shit. Some colleges have some pretty neat clubs though with sports you would otherwise not find anyone to play with, whether it's judo, trap shooting, Hurling, rugby, etc.

what are some good trades? is trucking good? I'm thinking about it now

found the millenial snowflake

It is if you go to a community college.

You could take night classes that would be 3x1hr or one 3hr block per week.

Some schools have Independent Studies Degrees. Where you basically just do your own thing and take your own courses. Anything from Biology with Computer Science and Psychology (maybe you're interested in Artifical Intelligence) to Earth Sciences with Biology and Economics (maybe you want to be an A+ drug dealer)

Nope went to college for two years, passed them flawlesly, realized it was completely useless shit that i was cramping in my head. Quit and and followed an adult educational program for computer and networking engineer. Got a job right after that because demand was and is high. Was able to fully function from day 1, no extra training or explaining. Which they didn't expect because most collegecucks need alot more explaining and handholding, their words not mine.

So fuck college and get a REAL education while you're not sucking the governments cock like the little fuckbois we all are inside.

I'm studying networking at collage. It's mostly autists, lazy and annoying people. The good thing is, you can talk about games with pretty much everyone and we rarely have class before 10 AM, ever.

I really don't care about the people there, I just want my damn degree and land a cozy office job in some closet where I'll be left alone to work.

>is trucking good? I'm thinking about it now
Go to /o/ and look for the truckerfag threads. I did it for like a month last year and might go back to it eventually.

I don't even have a particular interest besides writing I suppose, so I've never given it much thought what I'd *like* to do.

As an aside, I've worked with numerous engineers (of course my primary job is their part-time, wallet padding on the weekends-gig) and they all basically had the same comment, being that: on many days at their engineering gig, they actually do less work than we do together at our mutual employer. It's just more prestigious and regarded because to be an engineer you have to complete university and have academic certification, rather than being entry level grunt you can hire off the street. And those people have told me that I should look into different branches of engineering (definitely not electrical). But my only problem is that I'm shit at math, but for conceptual reasons considering that actually doing math is relatively formulaic and thus static. But something like that is why approaching a curriculum at your own pace would actually benefit someone like me, who, I may have the potential, but I lack the confidence to be able to complete the work under the pressure of "X weeks/days/hours left, GOTTA FIGURE IT OUT!" So I feel railroaded into not even bothering to try because I don't want to waste my little money.

You worked hard for a degree and that's exactly what you got out of it. If you want a job you'll have to work for that too, retard. You don't get rock hard abs just because you've 'worked hard' doing pushups.

1) Engineering Sales

2) Technical Writing

Both will be great careers in the now & the future

What program did you follow? Do you have an MSci or a Bsci? Do you have the level of "industrieel" or "burgerlijk" engineer?

>is trucking good
If you feel like being made obsolete by automation in 10 years

Come to germany m8, im american and its basically free for anyone. You have no coursework due, you're judged entirely upon your final exams whoch you can take twice or just drop and go through another semester of classea before taking it.

you dont need to be good at math to be an engineer

Honestly, engineering maths are not that difficult. If you have "insight" it comes naturally, but if you don't that's not a problem, you'll just have to work more.

Also, why not electrical engineering? It's pretty difficult, but engineering physics is even worse.

I had the opportunity to party up there on Thursdays for a few years in my mid 20s and I don't know how those kids can manage. It's at least a taste of how the social shit works on campus.

I'll see how it is fully for myself next life when I'll probably be able to afford it and possibly have some clue what I want to do for a career as I have no dreams or anything in my mid 30s.

Your definition of "good at math" is probably something prodigal, at least to me. I couldn't even do trigonometry in high-school (everyone else I knew who went into engineering was doing calculus as a prerequisite for admission).

It's a racketeering scheme and people only go to college because you have to for many jobs.

PhD student at the University of Toronto. The dumbest people I have met have been my fellow graduate students and professors. Most are broken and quite a few are blatant communists.

College can be ok but you have to be careful of the program you are in and the courses you take.

We need STEM, Med school, Vet school, dental school, MBAs (maybe), Lawyers etc.

Soc and Anth can be valuable, but you need to look for non ideological principle investigators.

English,History and Philosophy are also worthwhile as long as you steer clear of revisionists, ideologues, and continental bullshit (post modernism, critical theory, queer reading, feminist social epistemology, etc).

Area studies should be destroyed before they destroy the university

fuck off leech

Depends what you're interested in. If you're into STEM, go for it. If you just want to make money, go for the Trades. It's a lot of cash, but you alone have to be the one to determine if it's worth it or not. So far, it's good for me.

You don't deserve shit. Just because you decided to go major in something with poor job prospects, and possibly didn't perform particularly well while doing so, does not mean that anyone owes you anything.

In the states you will be very hard pressed to find a good job without some kind of degree
>Inb4 I make a lot money with out a college degree
Yes its possible and happens but for the most part its a necessity

Jesus what happened to your thumb?

Keep in mind the trades have a high risk associated with them.

You have a higher incedence of workplace injury, might be working outside in miserable conditions, might have be a journeyman and travel hours each day or live out of a motel. The job might break you and after retirement you live with a bad back, bum, knees, and brain damage from noxious fumes. on top of this you could be laid off for months if there is no work.

What are you studying?

The only thing stopping you from getting a job, assuming it's not a protected title, is getting through the HR ladies without a degree

Those HR ladies are just a proof of how empty-headed some college graduates can be

But they know how to do their job. Which is all that can be expected of them.

Uni isn't genius camp, it's education.

No its not you fucking retartd my friend graduated high school and didnt go to college and his now working as a gm manager and he just got his cdl license his making 6 figures a year all without a college degree, anyone who goes to college is making an investment depending on what degree you go for if its not a good one your fucked and half of the millennials today are fucked because they go for shitty fucking degrees nobody cares for, people can easily look for a full time job after high school and work their way up from there as well college isnt the only way to good job because you could also go to trade school and get the skills for jobs in demaned.

>be me
>did a useless liberal arts degree
>$0 debt

Thank God I'm not an Amerifat.

Where are you working now?

I don't know who I hate more...

The mouth breathing 90 IQ "YOUR DEGREE AINT WORTH SHIT" Jealous rural retards, or the faggot with the com degree.

Good thing you're all toxic, and I can think less of all of you.

>not being an engineer
lmao @ ur life

>he bought into the engineer meme

If you're against right wingers in the liberal arts or social sciences sector you shouldn't complain that all journalists are liberal or about the fact that academics are writing publications about marxism and racism non stop

Journalists are liberal because the magnates in charge of the journals issue for liberal bias. If you apply as someone who is clearly conservative they're likely to pass you over for one of the many other liberal applicants. This doesn't even have to do with your writing performance, this is something they would determine in the interviewing process. It wouldn't matter how good of a writer you are if you don't exist to tow the line.

t. first year """engineer""" student
lmao

>driving a truck
>trade

senpai.

College isn't for everyone, but for most people.

vuile sos

I'm actually glad some right-wingers choose to become journalists.
t. butthurt social "scientist"

> tfw did a meme degree together with my non-meme degree

now everyone thinks I'm supersmart because I got 2 master's in 1 year. I didn't do shit for the memedegree and still passed.

Plenty of rightwingers here actually. But yeah, the Blandijn is socialist central.

Maak je geen illusies kameraad. Elke Vlaamse en westerse universiteit wordt gedomineerd door marxisten

Its actally a good paying job you could make up to 70k to 100k a year depending on where you go at my friend just got his cdl license from trucking school and now his doubled the amount of income he gets per year his a construction gm and now his ships all the things that need to be shiped to other places so hes getting paid from his constrction job and now hes getting paid from the compaines that need things driven as well and hes only 22 without a college degree becuase he himslef said it was a meme so you to can do it