Did you ever happen to think that if we'd just let the government ban these fucking things that the industries would go...

Did you ever happen to think that if we'd just let the government ban these fucking things that the industries would go hardcore into production of non-lethal weapons like tazers and possibly invent fucking laser guns and shit?

Why are we still using fucking archaic balls of metal with gunpowder behind them anyway? I'll tell you why. It's the same reason we're still using internal combustion and oil, because it makes a lot of goddamn money to stick with the status quo.

If I have to light a nigger up, I want to do it literally with my laser pistol.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=99-yX7RCnWU
youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>It's the same reason we're still using internal combustion and oil
>I want to do it literally with my laser pistol.
We have the technologies we have because they work perfectly well, and because the laws of physics don't care about what what cooler technologies we would rather have.

They work well but they don't work as well as the alternatives. Electric cars are better in almost every way. If they were mass-produced they would be cheaper and most of the cars on the road would be electric. But we've been crushing electric car companies for decades because the existing companies and oil industry lobbyists pay their shill congressmen handsomely.

It's the same for guns. Shooting projectiles is not efficient, too much effort goes into producing them, and when you're out you're out. Electrically-powered weapons are far superior, and could be charged in the field.

Lasers will never match the killing potential of bullets. Bullets are insanely efficient in a weight-to-death ratio. Batteries are heavy.

Batteries aren't heavy anymore. And just within my lifetime we went from garbage NiCD and NiMH which were heavy and had a "memory" to lithium ion and lithium poly. I expect much improved battery technology as we go along, as well.

A bullet is relatively slow at distance. A highly focused laser moves at the speed of light and can burn through flesh. Which would you rather point at someone trying to kill you?

>It's the same for guns. Shooting projectiles is not efficient, too much effort goes into producing them, and when you're out you're out. Electrically-powered weapons are far superior, and could be charged in the field.
You're fucking retarded. How in the fuck can you seriously believe that laser guns - requiring an impossibly sized power source - won't be complicated and expensive as fuck.

Hint: You can build a functioning - though really low durability - AK out of ~$20 of scrap metal and a shovel.

>Oy, stay out of me flat, Achmed. I got me mums cricket bat in 'ere if you wanna be a tosser! Stay out mate, I got some curry in the kitchen I'll toss in your eyes!

>complicated
>expensive
>huge power source

Are you living in the 60s? What the fuck.

Do some laser research sometime. Even the fucking laser canons on ships or airplanes aren't massive or require tons of power, and those are for shooting down fucking missiles.

If they were banned in the US tomorrow, the black market in arms and ammunition over the Mexican frontier would dwarf the narcotics trade. Anti-gunners never understood the futility of the Volstead Act.

Yeah you're gonna have to post a source on that.

We've spent billions of dollars developing laser weapons, and the best we've got is a laser so massive it has to be put on a Naval warship.

Lrn2science faggot

A source on what? Battery technologies? Who the fuck doesn't know about the advancements in batteries? Or are you questioning that lasers travel at the speed of light?

You can literally buy a handheld laser RIGHT NOW that can burn flesh.

youtube.com/watch?v=99-yX7RCnWU

Random Youtube video from FOUR YEARS ago.

Because it works. Technologies reach a plateau and stop.advancing at a certain point, aside from minor incremental improvements. We're spoiled because the last two centuries have seen insane leaps in technological advancement. Firearms remain the most reliable means for stopping an attacker available without harm to the user. When somebody invents something better, we'll start using it instead.

Look unless this ACTUALLY leads to laser guns which are rad as fuck, it's not worth it.

>Firearms remain the most reliable means for stopping an attacker available without harm to the user.

That's simply not true, the number of accidental injuries from firearms, or firearm malfunctions, is far high enough that the consideration of alternatives should not be ignored.

I mean for fuck's sake, people even argue against technology to make sure your gun can't be used by someone else. It's just stupid.

>Electric cars are better in almost every way.
Well, aside from weighing twice as much as a comparable car powered by internal combustion and having, at best, the third of the range before needing a recharge, yeah, they're much better.

Fun fact, when Henry Ford asked Thomas Edison about the commercial viability of an electric car, Edison told him to build gasoline powered cars instead. Even Nicola Tesla wouldn't touch an electric car.

>the number of accidental injuries from firearms, or firearm malfunctions, is far high enough that the consideration of alternatives should not be ignored.

lol

There's like 500 accidental deaths a year in the entire country. You think you can't accidentally shoot yourself with a magical laser beam?

Weight is irrelevant, because the comparable gas mileage for fossil fuel used to achieve that is significantly higher. They also significantly out accelerate most combustion engine cars, so much so that we see motorsports like Formula E.

Charging points wouldn't be a problem as soon as adoption was widespread. Charging is already vastly faster than even a decade or so ago.

As for Ford and Edison, irrelevant. Battery technology has changed so drastically that it's a different world.

My favorite is the 747 airborne chemical laser developed as a theater anti ballistic missile system. The ball turret in the nose is the emitter. The interior is taken up by the chemical reactor that powers the laser.

You know what, forget it. I realize now that I posted this in the wrong place. Instead of sparking an interesting conversation about future weapons technologies, I get a bunch of armchair scientists clutching their pistols trying to tell me that technology isn't where I think it is, even though their idea of science is very blatantly two decades in the past.

Get fucked, you backwards hillbillies, and enjoy living in the 90s.

These archaic balls of metal will fuck your shit up real good you dumb nigger.

There are between 250,000 and 1.5 million defensive gun uses each year, according to the CDC and FBI. There are less than 500 accidental gun deaths per year. Hell, all gun deaths account for just 1.2% of annual deaths in the United States. Pic related. Sources are CDC and FBI.

>It's the same for guns. Shooting projectiles is not efficient, too much effort goes into producing them, and when you're out you're out. Electrically-powered weapons are far superior, and could be charged in the field.

I mean, yeah. " hold on enemy! My electric powered weapon needs to use this solar panel to recharge, we can fight again in a couple days "

actually the geneva convention forbids providing energy weapons for use outside of the military

>why are we still using gunpowder
>why are we still using oil
Because we don't have the tech to replace them with efficiently. Imagine how many years it would take too switch everyone's car too a electric. We are doing it gradually but it will be another 20 years if your lucky. Same goes for guns, if we find a suitable lethal replacement we will need to make those meanwhile still producing ammunition for the old ones.

>1/3rd of the range

My accord goes around 300-ish miles on a tank of fuel.. Really not that much more than my P85D. " b-b-but.. what about when you travel? ". I live on an island. My " traveling " is when I run to the store when I am off of the island. Generally, less than 200 miles. It charges when I sleep. So basically, anytime I DO have to go anywhere, I charge it at night, and start every morning essentially with a " full tank " at a fraction of the cost of gas.

Technology will surpass them soon

Provided a laser would be powerful enough in handheld form to penetrate as quickly as a firearm, would it not just burn through and cauterize the wound? I'll take my antiquated firearm that is still the best tool for killing things that bleed. Now when the robots take over that'l be a different story.

>Get shot with laser
>laser loses 80% of it's power due to light fog
>my wounds get cauterized and stop the bleeding
>go to hospital and survive

>get shot with 5.56 caliber "metal ball"
>bullet fragments inside me
>multiple organs punctured
>bleed to death

I'll take the rifle thanks OP

So, mean lithium ion batteries that explode if not properly controlled? So what happens when a car loaded down with lithium ion batteries gets in a high speed collision? Cause that's where we are right now. And weight dies matter. It dictates efficiency which translates into range, which is why modern hybrid and electric cars are made as light as possible. Barring something like cold fusion, electric cars are going to be limited to right at 100 miles in range the way they always have. And if people have the choice of buying a conventional internal combustion engine vehicle that will travel 500 miles without stopping for fuel or an electric car that requires a recharge every 100 miles, guess what they'll choose.

Yeah, I'm sure that the gun industry will blow right past the research of heavily-funded militaries locked in a life or death arms race if they just have the right motivation.

Do you even think before you type, OP?

Your Accord needs a tune up. I have a 2013 and I get 500 miles per tank. My 64 LeSabre with a 7 liter engine goes 300 miles on a tank of gas.

>eletric cars are better
>we've been crushing electric cars bcuz lobbyists

stop posting retard and go lurk /o/ for 10000 hours

Electromagnetic weapons are clearly the future.

Imagine the chagrin of the powers that be when any moron with an internet connection and access to a 3d printer can figure out how to construct a weapon that can spray enough microwave energies to cook some faggot's heart to well done.

Literally stupid. Have you even fired a weapon before? Are you that fool leaf that afflicted us so much a few weeks ago?

There are no new arguments. Move to switzerland if you want laser weaponry......

I love guns. Hate cleaning them. And Im so anal about cleaning. Literally spent 2 hours breaking down my rifle and cleaning it.
Its worth it when you hit the range tho.

I want a gun , i want concealed carry .

Also, you are in an ideal situation for an electric car. Most of us aren't. And what happens if the power grid goes down and you can't recharge?

People who want to ban any kind of firearm deserve pic related.

>5.56

>P85d
>4,936 lb

Yeah, not heavy at all

The gun you can get. Sorry bout the concealed carry, though.

>a 55gr projectile fired out of a 20 inch barrel and reaching velocities of over 3000 fps won't kill you.

I was gonna say the same thing. Then I just realized I dont give a fuck.
Ask all the dead Vietnamese that took a round from 5.56

holy shit youre fucking gay

>hurr durr i not wrong u jus idiuts
>not me tho i r tha smartist
>thets whut mah tard wrenglerr saids

There is literally nothing wrong with the ICE. We just need better fuel.
Formula E is pretty fun though. Fan boost is bullshit

>laser guns and shit?
>Electrically-powered weapons are far superior,
>A highly focused laser
>Do some laser research sometime.
>lasers travel at the speed of light?
I can't go any further. So we Psycho Pass now, is that what you're proposing?

>not having a Governor with Maximum expansion ammo

youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4

They're waiting until WW3 to unleash that shit user. All those "UFO's", laser shit, "ethnic bombs" that target people by race, weather influencing machines, probably some space shit in NASA, etc.

It's gonna be one hell of a war.

This is the only reason I've ever seen that I don't disagree with. Too bad all the other reasons outweigh it.

Checked