WTF Washington Post?

archive.fo/iKIkk

A "science" writer at Washington Post ran a smear article on David Gelernter, a distinguished computer scientist, for the "crime" of having a different political opinion.

WaPo journalist called him "fiercely anti-intellectual".

WTF!

Granted, many may find his political ideas unappealing, but branding himself an "anti-intellectual" for this? How can can WaPo go?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/alexlaughs/status/822524774169636865
punkcommunity.com/unapack/press/outside/gvmm68e/letter1.html
nationalreview.com/article/444042/david-gelernter-science-adviser-candidate-lefts-latest-smear-campaign
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

* How low can WaPo go?

He pointed at the jew so of course hes an anti intellectual.

But he himself is Jewish. And a member of several Jewish organizations.

Green txt me his "different opinions"...I'm too lazy.

>Beyond computer science circles, Gelernter has made a name for himself as a vehement critic of modern academia. In his 2013 book, “America-Lite: How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture (and Ushered in the Obamacrats),” he condemned “belligerent leftists” and blamed intellectualism for the disintegration of patriotism and traditional family values. He attributed the decline in American culture to “an increasing Jewish presence at top colleges.” (Gelernter himself is Jewish.)

Nice. This guy is like modern computer Jesus pointing out all the bullshit society and his fellow jews are doing.

this thread is too nuanced for Sup Forums. nice try, and I thank you for the wapo link as well as several links rebutting it for its idiocy.

Is he...dare I say..."our" guy?

If anybody care the UNA-bomber blew that guys arm off.

Not only a distinguished computer scientist, but has been featured in Big Think, a public reach-out program to promote intellectualism, where he gave an extremely passionate argument (with teary eyes) about the degradation of the ethical foundations in students and their blind dismissal of the socio-culture roots of Western society.

He has shown on more than one occasional high general-domain intelligence, and it pisses me off soooo much that WashPo has stooped this low.

>and his fellow jews are doing.
One of us, then?

Do you know why he was targeted?

Gelernter literally means "learned" in German

As in a "learned" man

Literally nothing about that is wrong

looks like a nice guy. Hopefully he will convince trump to give less funding for the social sciences

>a public reach-out program
I know what you mean but this just reads weird.
Is it common to switch the placing of those two words like that?

>Do you know why he was targeted?

the unabomber didn't have a terribly sane method of selecting his targets.

Speaking of Washington Post, they were cowering in their offices today while their cars were getting smashed up.

twitter.com/alexlaughs/status/822524774169636865

This is true. If you want 100+ responses in a /pol thread, you have to create a thread that has something to do with black dick.

He picked influencial and up and coming scientists from articles and Gelernter was hyped as computer genius at that point.

>anti-intellectual ... scientist

He just randomly picked people having to do with technology

Read the article, wheres the anti-science part?

I found this letter he sent to Gerlertner. Should have googled first.

punkcommunity.com/unapack/press/outside/gvmm68e/letter1.html

I'll take it.

He was seriously injured at that blast. Aside from his hands, one of his eyes isn't quite functional, so far I've heard.

nice find.

god he was a mess.

look what they have brought upon themselves.

>where he gave an extremely passionate argument (with teary eyes) about the degradation of the ethical foundations in students and their blind dismissal of the socio-culture roots of Western society.
link to this?

Washington Post has become a comedic media nowadays. Always going for clickbait and tempest-in-a-teacup articles.

The dude is a fucking genius that is supremely overqualified for the job. How could the Washington Post you possibly object to him?

It's nuanced, and yes, Sup Forums is obsessed with black dicks, but I have high regards for some of the Sup Forumsacks.

That is somewhat poetic...

Didn't get your question. The reporter branded him "anti-intellectual" for his views on family and his political leanings.

Also add in the fact that he shunned away himself from joining the big scientific communities in the US like the AAAS, despite being a top scientist himself.

Props for this find senpai.

BASED JUDEN

Because he dares to have a different political opinion on some issues; and that he's not a member of AAAS or any other big scientific community, despite being a top scientist himself.

He criticized universities for being overly liberal and destroying the family and that makes him "anti-intellectual"

It is truly sad what has happened to journalism world wide.

Good article here:

nationalreview.com/article/444042/david-gelernter-science-adviser-candidate-lefts-latest-smear-campaign

>saying that Gelernter is “fiercely anti-intellectual” is a bit like saying Tiger Woods is fiercely anti-golf

>carmack will never be our science advisor
WE COULD HAVE HAD A TECHNOCRACY ON MARS

All hail Computer Jesus.

Is this guy one of /us/?

Leaf doing banter the based way.

Truly the best timeline.

Weird how I used to regard WaPo as a real paper, a real legitimate and non tabloid source. Times may have changed but my new low opinion of WaPo will not!

intellectual is code word for elitist liberal cuckold

>he condemned “belligerent leftists” and blamed intellectualism for the disintegration of patriotism and traditional family values
are leftists even trying to dispute this?

this is a beautiful as statement, it encompasses everything wrong with academia all while keeping it simple.

capping it for posterity for whoever questions this man

>fiercely anti-intellectual
>computer scientist

Even a few years ago, despite their "intelligence reports" which led the US to the disaster in Iraq in 2003, people actually considered Washington Post to be a "quality newspaper" alongside the NYTimes and WSJ.

Not anymore. After Jeff Bezos bought this newspaper, they've become increasingly "social media" friendly, inundating their website with clickbait, faux-outrage articles.

Their only job is to make some people outraged in the hope of selling some copies.

Sounds like someone doesn't believe in science.
They've passed Orwell and are on to Lear.

>Yale University professor
>"fiercely anti-intellectual"

Jesus fucking christ

These are the same people who didn't want the co-inventer of Javascript to help fix Firefox because he once had what had been the same opinion as Obama and Hillary about gay marriage.

Never in my imagination I thought an Orwellian society would be advocated by the liberals. How times changed!

US liberals aren't the same anymore... a complete 180* turn since 2003.

>who didn't want the co-inventer of Javascript to help fix Firefox

They systematically drove him out of his position of CEO of Mozilla over a leaked political donation.

Yes this. Even Obama "changed" his stance on gay marriage after 2010, if I recall correctly.

But the US left keeps thinking that all their leaders were pro-LGBTQ+ since birth.

Fuck this hypocrisy.

SO HIS NAME ITSELF IS god damn it. God damn it. Save us, one-armed computer Jesus.

>anti intellectual
>scientist

???

Is he... dare I say... "our" merchant?

>anti-intellectual

almost as bad as pseud-intellectual

Nice little fact. Thanks.

orwellian societies are always leftists. at it's extremes, the right wants everyone to leave everyone else the fuck alone.

Yes, it wasn't like he was an activist. It was a privately held opinion.

No, nobody is disputing this. But that journalist smeared him for having that opinion.

But pseudo-intellectuals are a thing, what else would you call Thomas Fried Man, Malcolm Gladwell, that guy who did "Connections," or the Twins Who Must Not Be Named?

Except that when Galernter blames intellectualism as one of destructions of family values, he most likely means pseudo intellectualism.

Are we sure that's not Mike Enoch and pulled the doxxing stunt to join the Trump administration?

My experience in college is that there is no true intellectualism outside of STEM. I now understand the STEM meme. It's not about which one gives you jobs it is about which fields still care about being intellectual. The other fields are more concerned with agendas and politics than actual intellectual discourse.

For instance my University has a class called, "The problem of whiteness" but you would never ever see a class titled, "The problem of Social Justice." They don't care about exchanging ideas they only care about their agenda. Universities are dead.

>anti intellectual computer scientist
>anti intellectual scientist

I know CS is more just maths but that makes it even worse desu.

Also is this the guy that did with Trump what that young guy did in the last season of the House of Cards? Where they were collecting all this info about people and then targeting negative ads about Hillary, in such a way that it was the most effective and the least expensive.

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding college but are you familiar with Roger Scruton?

Yeah, it would be nice if it did. because then we'd have the rather fitting and touching situation of a "learned" person (yourself) pointed out that this learned person is actually called Learned.

Only we don't.

Because "gelernter" doesn't mean "learnèd" in German". It has the much more restricted, rather less sublime meaning of "trained" (as in "gelernter Elektriker" = "trained electrician"). The word meaning "learnéd" is actually "gelehrter".

Which means that this indeed learnèd man is not actually called Learned.

And that you are neither called Learned not learnèd in fact but only one of these typical pretentious little tryhard pricks one often encounters on Sup Forums who spread information they do not possess to people even more ignorant than themselves in a desperate and pathetic hunger to sound smarter than they are.

I'm not familiar with him no.

COMBO BREAKER
But Francois -- what if his name is not German -- BUT YIDDISH?

Couldn't said this better. Apart from STEM, Philosophy of some sorts, Economics, and some Business subjects, intellectual rigor, honesty, and empiricism is mostly dead in the universities... and the situation is the same in Europe also.

>"The problem of whiteness"

How is this crap making it's way into your education system? Even ignoring the blatant racism, the title clearly implies that it's pushing an idea.

The Jews literally did this.
Excellent thread btw
The smartphone salesmen at Sup Forums wouldn't make it

is he... dare I say it... /our jew/ ?

Oh God. I see another Sup Forums discussion about "intellectual stuff" on the horizon.
Please, spare the world the pain, kiddies.

Let me just draw an analogy to give you the idea of the degree of cringe you induce in any actually educated person who stumbles on one of these threads.

When some barely-literate 18-year-old undertakes to "educate" a 16-year-old who has inarguably to be classified as downright illiterate by asking him if he "knows Roger Scruton" (possibly the best-known conservative political philosopher in the English-speaking world) and the 16-year-old says "I don't", it's a bit like having to watch a conversation about rap music where some 8 year old is burbling on about how kewl Kanye is and a 10 year old "enlightens" him regarding the existence, at some distant point in the past, of someone called Tupac.

It's that cringey.

You should check out his one-hour Defense of Beauty at Youtube.
Also take at look at the ARTSCAM lecture at Art Renewal Center.

You don't have to look any further. Go for a nice stroll at Goldsmiths; they have some of the wonkiest curricula and also "professors" in Europe.

Is it lonely on your pedestal?

>tfw we're getting an almost literally neoreactionary gov't

Fuck off.

I'll check it out.

I can no longer tell the difference between bait and actual nuevo liberal group think.

Can you give me another self rightous diatribe, so I can flex my muscles. I mean you sort of sound like a self assured 22 year old edgelord, but I need more material.

RIDING THE TIGER

So he's a Sup Forumsack

Sorry to bring another little smart-Aleck Sup Forums upstart crashing down into the dirt of his own proven ignorance but:

Yiddish-speaking German Jews did not adopt Yiddish names.

The whole point about adopting a German family name was to assimilate, not to mark yourself off as a speaker of ghetto "Jargon".

"Goldberg", "Silberstein" etc. - and yes, "Gelernter" too - were, ironically, considered, at the time that Jews adopted them, to be as NON-Jewish sounding as you could possibly get.

Why would they? They view it as an accomplishment.

>american anti-intellectuals

Or you can buy the book "Beauty-A Very Short Introduction", Published by the Oxford University Press.

If you want to (it's illegal though), you can also find some free download links online.

You know who else is an Honorary Aryan who skewered leftist academia is Alan Sokal. He submitted papers for peer review that were transparent gibberish, got praised by new imperial tailors, and then wrote a book (I think it's called Fashionable Nonsense) exposing them.

>effortposting this much cringe

t. 20 year old

I've talked to David a few times and had him do a little consulting. He is scary smart and easy to interact with. I never knew he was based, until he started to publish outside of CS.

Dude.

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Carmack established contact with Mars in 1990.

Doom was a warning.

Do not go to Mars.

If you DO go to Mars, go heavily armed and don't expect anyone to come back except for demons.

Oh yeah, the Sokal affair.

satisfaction_overload.gif

WaPo are trying to hit so low kek, but Anti-intellectualism isn't a bad thing.

Finally. I knew your arrogance would bring you to this point. You clearly know nothing of Jews or of naming traditions. Your entire case is a logical facet of a much larger and more complex picture. Instead of asking you to look anything up or make sense, I ask you to meditate on the possibility that a Jewish Jew who is Jewish might see multiple meanings -- additional meaning not necessarily seen by the German -- in the name Koenig.

"smartphone salesmen at Sup Forums"

KEK

(In all fairness though, they're pretty smart although the near-constant smartphone dickfight could be a little cringey)

>expecting someone that arrogant to be capable of self analysis