Thinking about joining the navy

Thinking about joining the navy.

I'm not a grunt but something deep inside is calling it to me.

>BE 25
>BS in biology
>3 years experiance in industry labs (2000+ GMO lines to my name)
>Been here since jan 16 spewing the Trump rhetoric.
>gf left
>Trump spam still makes me happy
>temporairly alcholholic looking for a light
>Why not fight for him?

Any input welcome

/k/ literally has a recruitment thread for any questions you might have

Navy is literally the gay branch of the military. You're not a homo are you?

just be a contractor for the navy
youll make 3 times as much and won't have to do shit

Don't worry I think (((they))) will still get us into ww3 even with trump

So they'll be desperate for people

Choose your rate, choose your fate. Unless you're going officer.

Join the chair force or nothing. Unless you want to really fight then join the army as 11x and push for airborne. You will deploy within your first contract.

what you mean?

pops was for Mcdonald Douglas now boeing. Owe my life to that man. Hes devoted his life to the cause.

IMHO ther are people that royally fucked him over pay wise. I'm young enough to not give a shit about pay. I want to fight.

cool beans. already made this one though so will be bumping to the end

never come down

Checked and KEKED

The contractor that working on our rolling paper weights made more than everyone that rode in it.

jew

i can respect military work, just remember to fight for what you believe in, dont fight for the jew

7 is the holiest of numbers. thanks mate

Surface Warfare officer here, if you join go officer. Much less bullshit to put up with.

OCS sucks but just deal with it.

>OCS
Absolutely want to go in as officer. Not that people normally say it but ive lead small groups of people before. and have the body face and build of a serious man

They love leadership experience on the application. Go for it.

Warning: Surface Warfare is a community with a LOT of problems. You probably want Supply corps.

Same here dude. Just waiting to finish college then hopefully go through OCS.

I wish my college had NROTC, only has Army and Air Force.

Go nuke officer fgt

>nuke
oh boy that extra money's sure worth it when you have literally no time to enjoy it because you work non-stop

The money was my last motivation. I aspire to push my self in all aspects of my life. Added bonus of operating more and less jerking each other off in the boardroom.

t. chairforce

>Warning: Surface Warfare is a community with a LOT of problems.

do tell

>operating more

You mean:
muh logs
muh watch
muh watch
muh quals
muh logs

Seriously though, I've never met a happy nuke in my entire life. If you must please at least go subs. Surface nuke is terrible.

Don't go supply OP. Everyone will see you as a useless brat.

Can't speak to surface nuke from first hand experience but from what I understand sub is definitely more hardcore. It takes a special breed to cut it as sub nuke.

Go air force. It's basically civilian but professionally.

Navy is the greatest branch. Go and be an officer. Based Phillip was a Navy man.

OP YOUR A FUCKING FAGGOT ASS BITCH

I DARE YOU TO GO IN TO THE SERVICE BUT DONT A FUCK ALL AND GO BUDS

YOURE PUNK ASS WONT BECAUSE YOUR WEAK AS FUCK BITCH

(practice youre swimming and get used to cold water)

Surface warfare itself is becoming increasingly obsolete. Subs are damn near undetectable and aviation and cruise missiles ruined naval gunnery. Because of that there's been a lot of problems since the Arleigh Burke class of guided missile destroyers, trying to design the next generation platform. LCS is a joke, Zumwalt is too expensive, and there's still no replacement for minesweeps, cruisers, or frigates.

There's also a historical problem of SWOs being the catch-all for dropouts from other communities. Failed aviators go SWO, people that get denied other commnities go SWO just to get a commission then carry that resentment into the community, which breeds hatred, resentment, and generally a bullshit attitude towards being a naval officer. It's a hard enough job already, with long grueling hours, but it's made EVEN WORSE when it's become the culture to be a shitty mentor and deny sleep (!!!) to the people who are driving billion dollar warships around. The training program for first tours is incredibly hit or miss between different ships, with some doing a decent job because the CO gives a shit, while others just make it a hazing process to make first tours feel like the earned their pin.

Manning and retention problems from 15+ years ago are still being felt in the community today, because retention got so bad that they flooded the community with ensigns just to make enough LTs to promote up the ranks down the road, that all those ensigns didn't have enough time at sea and special evolutions under their belt (not to mention DIVO opportunity), so they never really learned what they needed to other than how to be a careerist. They're the COs and Admiral candidates of today. They also fucked up Basic Division Officer's course a decade or so back, so all those SWOs never got good foundation training.

And will this be corrected from the top? No, because all the recent CNOs were aviators and sub-nukes. Surface navy is just not a top priority.

Do it OP

>be me
>b.s. in comp sci
>did 4 years of NROTC for free college
>commissioned as Ensign (O-1) in Navy
>in Pensacola for flight school
>get to fly and wear pajamas for a living
>live on a condo on the water
>2 bretty cool roommates, 1 cooks for me

Life is great m8, I have no complaints

Yeah but Supply needs good people. Most are retarded bean counters who really don't give a shit but a good supply officer makes a HUGE difference to the entire command. Even on a command the size of an aircraft carrier, just ONE good supply ensign made everyone else's job 20 times easier. When he transfers the department (and command) is fucked.

wew

tha'ts a long fall from the BB glory days

>tfw will never be able to die for Trump

feels fucking bad

lol my OCS buddies just finished flight school. Good luck man, have fun with instruments! And when you get to the fleet show proper respect to your SWO betters.

Believe me, I don't take it for granted. I actually got selected for sub nuke (got fucked over at service selection).
>be me, commissioning w/ 2 girls and 1 other guy
>girls pretty much never get nuke drafted
>other guy's GPA was too low to even get selected for nuke
>i was literally only person in my commissioning class that could be forcibly selected for nuke
>put it last
>still get it

Thankfully, the CO of my unit actually cares, and since I was the MIDN CO he and I were on good terms. He ended up getting me a pilot slot b/c apparently they took too many nukes so didnt need me.

If I ever have a bad day, I just tell myself "well, at least im not on a sub"

Yeah, WW2 was the beginning of the end. Once Carrier Strike Groups became a thing there was just very little need for a large surface presence. You only need enough to protect the carrier. Then subs became the monsters they are today and made the surface job even harder.

I have some ideas about the future of surface warfare but I'm still developing them to submit to the War College. LCS and Zumwalt were definitely the wrong way to go.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR I LOVE MARINE CORE

>If I ever have a bad day, I just tell myself "well, at least im not on a sub"
Well you've definitely got the right attitude. What airframe are you hoping to get?

>tfw going SWO(N)
>OCS in May

>have a bachelor's
Join as an officer. And do it asap because jobs are age gated.

If you actually want to ask questions and aren't just meming, you can go over to /k/ and look for meg, military enlistment general. People there will have better answers than here.

>surface nuke
Is it too late to switch communities?
May is a good time to go to OCS though. You'll spend your entire time there during the warm, dry season and graduate in August before the rain starts in earnest.

When you graduate, if you do, you'll have the spine to actually be a good officer and care about your sailors. And you'll know how to actually clean which apparently they stopped teaching in bootcamp.

>Is it too late to switch communities?

Probably, lol. I don't really want to switch though. I just hear some mixed things about the SWO community (mostly negative) so I'm not entirely sure what I should expect. I'm just sort of nervous I guess.

I applied through the NUPOC program but my GPA wasn't good enough for an instructor position or NRE.

Do you know the basics of your career progression after OCS? It sucks but it's definitely survivable.

At least when you're getting your pin you can always think that you don't have to do a DDG tour ever again. And you might even like it.

I'm in my early 30's. My biggest regret in life is that I didn't join the Navy after I graduated from high school.

You realize that NUPOC = Direct Input Limited Duty Officer, yes?

Do it!

Go officer, dumbass.

Ah, a DILDO. Interesting

I enlisted with the Navy. Going into the Nuclear Field program. Don't regret anything yet and am looking forward to serving my country, especially under President Trump.

And unless you wish to be addressed as such, remain humble and learn everything you can.

I work as a contractor on naval software, work with a lot of former sailors. Most of them seem to have really enjoyed it, though try to avoid getting put on a sub, sounds like it can really suck.

Do it faggot

Pic related it's OC

>For him

US Sailor CTI Sup Forumsock here. It's pretty cool, you make a good steady pay and not having too many bills insures even more money. People might say it's the gay branch but it's got females on the ships now in case you get the itch. Plus it's manlier than the pussy chair force (most airmen are twats) and you won't be a bullet sponge. Plus fucking your way through local port side whores is pretty nifty

If you have worked on NSIPS, BOL or NKO, I wish to fight you.

>I work as a contractor on naval software

So like what exactly is your job? Do you just go in and make OMMS and SKED suck on purpose, or do you just put no effort in? WHY IS THERE NO COMMAND LINE INTERFACE.

Or are you an NKO contractor? If so how do I get a job making NKOs I too want to make shitty flash games and sell them to the Navy for millions.

nukes get mad bank. Word of warning though, it's a common saying that the people on the flight deck get more radiation from sun exposure then you will constantly being locked in a dark room with power supply stuff. You can easily get a 6 figure job after your duty though

I wasn't sure about you, but you are alright for a surface gag.

Do you ever get mad at the CVN for turning directly at you while you're in screen?

Maybe do a wind mo-board and you too can see where the carrier is likely to go next! Wow so good.

Go officer don;t go enlisted,

>mfw i have a stateroom and front of the line rights

>QMSN
Y-Yeah man sure

I wanted to join the navy after taking some electrical classes and work with the nuclear reactors on the ships, how easy would this be?

Retired after 20 enlisted. Go Engineering. When you retire or get out DoD Contractors will pay you bucks. I went electronics and now work as a DoD Contractor and get my pension.

The job you do greatly effects your happiness, quality of life, and where you get posted/what kind of ship you get posted to.

Lot of factors. Go talk to your recruiter and ask to talk to the regional nuke coordinator

>I have some ideas about the future of surface warfare
Do tell. I cannot possibly imagine a way to make surface warfare relevant again.

Can you recommend some relevant books or papers on how to do so or general modern naval history?

t. Amateur historian

Oh shoot sorry mate.
Yeah, uh... definitely a good skill, moboards.

>how easy would this be?
Depends on your grades and OAR score. They want more nukes so it shouldn't be hard if you meet the requirements.

This.

Thanks, sir.

> I cannot possibly imagine a way to make surface warfare relevant again
two words
weaponized. memes.

>Do tell.
Can't and won't. My ideas aren't fully developed yet and would probably be considered classified anyway.

I also couldn't really recommend you anything in particular. Check out the War College publications. I think they publish their unclassified papers.

Still though, I remember doing the decklog during the CVNs night ops, the thing where you trail it close and do the lights I forgot what it was called.

That shit sucked ass, although the captain did fall on his ass during a hard turn.

Once railguns have operational field capabilities I could see new destroyers potentially having merit. However it may be easier to just incorporate it onto a carrier platform.

>SWO
>Not chasing in on that sweet submarine pay

I just signed away 5 years of my post collegiate life for submarines. Thankfully most sub officers are autists, so I should be good

>Go Sub Nuke

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Source:
Navy Sub Nuke ELT
Correction:
Ex-Navy Sub Nuke ELT

You'll notice I said Ex. This is important because i wouldn't be able to post this was I still UNDER THE FUCKING WATER WORKING 16 OUT OF EVERY 18 HOURS

Have fun in SOBC. Afterwards you can enjoy bologna pin wheels

RDS. Yeah I feel bad for you guys. It doesn't have to suck but there needs to be more coordination between the CVN bridge and the DDG bridge.

Sometimes I wish we had bridge facetime. I think that would help a lot.

Nah man look at the guns on the Zumwalt. Railguns won't be more useful than a standard cruise missile from the 70s.

>what is work life balance
Actually shit I can't talk SWOs have horrible work life balance too.
>280 days at sea in a calendar year
>FML

Hey I'm a MARS Officer in the Royal Canadian Navy, it's the equivalent job in our service. Question for you: how many officers would normally be on the bridge of, say, an Arleigh Burke? We would normally have two on a Halifax-class frigate, which is the closest equivalent ship we have.

18 hours lol they dont know about the 18hour bubblehead day. Also, they will learn how many loads are needed to wash """"""""the"""""""" smell out of their uniforms to keep their waifus happy.

I am sure he'll enjoy the shower babies.

I'm leaning towards the P-8

OP if you're serious about joining, I'd highly recommend going into the Marine Corps. Enlisted or Officer, either works. If you're in absolute peak condition, shoot for Recon, if not go regular Infantry. Even if you fail out of Recon, you'll still wind up in an Infantry unit. As an officer, you have to be one of the best before even being considered to be an infantry officer.

Seriously, don't listen to anyone who says "hurr durr cannon fodder, dumbasses, it sucks, blah blah blah." It's a highly professional group of people from all over that take pride in completing arduous tasks. If you want action, camaraderie, the best and worst moments of your life, and learning everything from some psychology to how to make explosives, join the Infantry. Plus, when there aren't any hot spots, you go on MEUs. Which one depends on where you're stationed. East Coast goes to the Mediterranean with liberty ports (basically time off in a nice town) all over. West Coast gets East Asia and Australia. Yes, Thailand is one of the stops. You can fuck Thai hookers for about 15 bucks and you'll learn how to cook snakes with the Royal Thai Marines.

Sorry mate not authorized to tell foreign navies about operational manning.

It's probably on google but the NSA is watching at all times.

Don't go Nuke, you will hate your life for a minimum of 6 years.

>t. ex-nuke

Surface Warfare Officer here. Graduated OCS in 2013 after doing civilian life for a few years. Can Answer any questions you have about OCS or SWO

It's a hard fucking life bro, but I personally find it rewarding. Did my first tour in Japan, best 2 years of my life when I was in port. Partied in Japan and fucked Japanese chicks on the reg because they love American dick.

Go SWO and go to a DDG or CG in Japan. Stay the fuck away from LCS or minesweepers. Only autists go nuke, but you are here on Sup Forums so you probably are one. Subs is even more autist. Pilots are bros but I personally hate school and don't want to do like 8 years of mandatory school before i get any real leadership opportunities.

>SMAG
>Working

Heh

Don't listen to the haters. Navy is the best.

>Get all the cool toys before anyone.
>Everyone needs a ride on your boat.
>Not likely to get shot at.
>Can go swimming whenever you want.
>Pretend you're a space trooper on your space ship.

>Surface Warfare Officer
>SWO

Why are you shitposting? There's a watch somewhere, even if you don't know about it. that you should be on.

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP

>that feel when SWO guilt

LS2 here, enlisted isnt tooooo bad, but yeah if you have a degree go for it. If you're somewhat attractive you'll get to bang plenty of E4 and below.

KEK lat transfer FTW bro!

Go ahead user, just be prepared to die for a war where you are defending our corporate overlords from Iran ;)

I know things are getting pretty heated with community dick waving but I just want to re-iterate how much I want to skull fuck this user while his family watches.

Join the Marine Corps. Our dress blues make the panties drop faster than the speed of slut.

Navyfag reporting, aegis FC. Gonna say it now, you are probably over-qualified as enlisted, so officer is the best bet. That said, decent technicians are also in extreme demand. Gear breaks/fails/burns up constantly and it's always an emergency. If you know your equipment and can troubleshoot you are a wizard. Bonus points if you actually like it.

Somebody was telling me that everyone in the navy doesn't do shit, but the navy itself hires contractors to do everything, which is strange since they have an entire army of trained people that don't do anything but minor maintenance.

Maybe your blues do, but our whites are the ultimate panty dropper

Fucking stop. You are why we have training

But how?