How can I convince people nuclear power is safe?

How can I convince people nuclear power is safe?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/world-europe-36157806
newsweek.com/putin-hails-chernobyl-rescue-heroes-30-years-452588
large.stanford.edu/courses/2015/ph241/holloway1/docs/SI-v10-I1_Kesler.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble-bed_reactor
gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/566567/BEIS_Electricity_Generation_Cost_Report.pdf
energyrealityproject.com/lets-run-the-numbers-nuclear-energy-vs-wind-and-solar/
youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1Xja6HlIU
fas.org/programs/ssp/nukes/non-proliferation and arms control/uraniumdirtybombs.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ROAO1saHEvs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"Even if it melts down you'll get more STALKER sequels"

Ask em how many died from Fukushima

Show them the old 50s information videos about them, get red pilled on meltdowns (commie's fault).

Tell them that it's just steam power.
The dead fuel is returned to where it was found, the ground, in a very safe and clean manner.
It's really green.

When you convince people that a species that has been somewhat civilised for two thousand years will still be around in 200,000 years to look after the half-life of the some of radioactive materials involved wont ruin what comes after it.

Doesn't always work though.

Just show pics.

You can't, just like you can't convince some people the Earth isn't flat.

As much shit as Bill Nye gets around here for his views on climate change, at least the scientist offers up solutions in his books. He is a HUGE proponent of nuclear energy, and talks about the skewed public perception of of the dangers of nuclear technology in his books.

In the event of a serious armed conflict with another developed nation nuclear power plants would become a prime target for sabotage.

In a perfect world nuclear power world be viable but sadly we live in this one.

Start a discussion with them. You'd be surprised how many people know nothing, but feel they should fear it.
Chernobyl was the result of the soviets pushing flawed designs just to try and stick it to America, 3 mile island is an example of controls working correctly to prevent a huge disaster and fukushima was a demonstration of the corruption in japan as the company bribed the gov to allow them to use an old design and not update and let their backup gens go untested.

cancer from radioactive exposure will kill you after a long period
electrocution will kill you instantly

YOU CAN'T

>All Belgians to be given iodine pills for nuclear safety

bbc.com/news/world-europe-36157806

>PUTIN: CHERNOBYL DISASTER SHOULD SERVE AS A LESSON TO THE WORLD

newsweek.com/putin-hails-chernobyl-rescue-heroes-30-years-452588

>The Vulnerability of Nuclear Facilities to Cyber Attack

large.stanford.edu/courses/2015/ph241/holloway1/docs/SI-v10-I1_Kesler.pdf

tell them about an ancient NATURAL nuclear reactor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor
Yes, there was one, it used uranium ore (natural 3% enrichment) as a fuel and ground waters as moderator/coolant and ran for more than a 100 thousand years in Africa

Very simply-point out to deaths per kwhr.

Wouldn't it be more lucrative to just use all your nukes on military installations rather than civilian power plants? It's not like the nukes don't have fallout of their own.

drink some

Walk around chernobyl and fukushima and not get cancer in 10 years

we were supposed to have like 5 already, even one recently build together with Czechs but locals always ape out, and ever populist government backs out.

And then fucking retards ape out that electricity is getting more expensive.

fml

>Ask em how many died from Fukushima
Usually the question of safety is more about environmental impacts and long term effects to people living in surrounding areas than immediate casualties. Same goes for the food safety in the United states where GMO industry literally works under honor system and long term effects to humans and environment are almost completely ignored.

by killing dissenters

The point is not to get into a nuke war. You can sabotage a power plant covertly and pass the blame. You can't really do that with a nuke.

Plus they can be captured and held as territory. You get a peace of land inside and if they try to take it back you blow yourself up.

pebble bed reactors are meltdown proof since they constantly are melting down. It can operate at much higher temps, little cooling water required, spent pebbles completely contain their fuel, very low amounts of beta radiation seepage (most only need to worry about fast ion rays and rouge electrons). Disposal of the pebbles is as simple as dropping them extremely deep down a hole.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble-bed_reactor

The problem with nuclear power is not that it is unsafe.

The problem is that no one wants to invest in it (without big subsidies) because the capital costs are immensely high and because better renewables are driving down energy prices.

>better renewables

Stick your face in a reactor core.

Tell them you can literally count the total number of meltdowns on one hand, as well as the combined deathtoll for all of them.

Stay чики-бpики, my friend.

Yes, see here:
gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/566567/BEIS_Electricity_Generation_Cost_Report.pdf

Obviously the total amount of electricity that can be generated is a lot lower, but the return on investment now for onshore wind and solar is greater than nuclear (even without subsidies)

>better renewables
I'm pretty sure my highschool science teacher was exaggerating but he said something like
>one ATOM of plutonium has enough potential energy to power a city for 2 years
I don't think he said atom cause that's ridiculous but it was definitely a very small amount

Also, the environmentalists have done a LOT to paint nuclear power as bad for the environment. Also "nuclear" reminds people of bombs, and it takes too long to explain that it's impossible to make a nuclear reactor go critical because by the time you explain it to them the image of a mushroom cloud obliterating their home and everyone they've ever known and loved has already gone through their head. Nothing you tell them can get it out.

The only good renewable I can think of is hydrogen it is the most abundant energy source in the universe. Fusion is 50 years off till commercialization.

Sadly, not good for my country.

Again, it's about return on investment.

Also, nuclear fuel is a negligible cost, it's the capital costs and decommissioning costs which are huge.

>what are breeder reactors
>what are the many and various ways of safely disposing of nuclear waste
nice meme bro

>what are guards and security systems

Simple. Stop blowing up nuclear stations.

Living next to a nuclear power plant for a year gives less radiation than getting an x ray. After doing a project on this when I was in college I'm fucking amazed we don't use more nuclear power, it's by far one of the cleanest and most efficient sources

Bart Simpson says Yes.

Guy has a point. In case of full scale nuclear war US reactors spent fuel pool will produce x100 times more fallout than nuclear warheads themselves and essential kill all life in the North America. Fallout game is prophesy.

Really google it up. State of spent nuclear fuel storage is outrageous in US.

>only known footage of atomic explosions is few
>these paint the centerfold view of nuclear power even though that reactors are NOTHING like a BOMB
its mind boggling that people thing that reactors are somehow like mini nukes being detonated for energy but thats what they believe apparently

We already have reactors that can use the waste as fuel we just don't use them because the world isn't running out of much more profitable uranium

OK. You stay in your world of denial.

If we were at war with a 1st world country it would be quiet easy for a decent tac team to suppress and crack any defenses short of a designated military posting. Then you have to do that for every plant.

yes, until a terrorist organization makes it go boom (or bad technicians like in three mile island, or an earthquake like in fukushima or an engineering error like in chernobyl etc etc)

We really should be investing in something like iter, if this where to work we could change the world

make them watch pandora's promise.

Nuclear power was smeared by big oil and coal and forever associated with an ignorant fear campaign.

We've had completely safe and renewable power for decades before it got de-funded.

Because despite our advanced knowledge of nuclear power in current year we still can't seem to do utilize the technology safely.
>b-but it's cheap
Not when we spend $500 billion per reactor just to shut them down when we're done with them. It's a useless technology. We're not smart enough to use it. Stick to burning shit and giving ourselves cancer that way.

This

It is an amazingly efficent energy resource but risks are too high, unless we make it like super safe and super guarded the risks kinda overpower the benefits

Where do you safely store the used fuel rods?

you mean you don't think letting them slowly leak in the marianas trench is not working for you?

let's face it, nuclear is the best we have for energy production for the money. We can spend 1T in Molten salt reactors on next to no land or spend 29T and land equivalent to the state of Indiana to get the same amount of energy from wind and solar.

Iter, Iter, you are our guy. If buiding a small sun on earth can't cut it we are fucked

this people scream about how we have to save the environment and nuclear power would be one of the easiest ways to work on it, but no one wants a nuclear power plant anywhere near them. It's the old "do whatever you can, just not near me" syndrome

ingest radioactive material.

>nucular powerplants are so safe, no insurance-company wants to cover them.

>disposal in a hole

Just shit in a river then "poof' its gone KYS

Would a good light show ever be bad for you.

>insurance companies

it would be realllly hard to "make it go boom"

it would take a state actor to attack a nuclear power station.

The other disasters you mention are mischaracterized, and while important to note and understand are much better understood and these weaknesses less prevalent in modern reactor designs.

>it would be reallly hard to 'make it go boom'
Tell that to ISIS
>A Belgian nuclear power plant may have been the target of an aborted plot by the ISIS cell that carried out this week’s terrorist attacks in Brussels, according to Belgian media.

If confirmed, the plot would explain why the country’s two nuclear power plants were all but locked down in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday’s bombings — without explanation, and despite being miles away from the Brussels facilities under attack.

Give them the cold hard facts

energyrealityproject.com/lets-run-the-numbers-nuclear-energy-vs-wind-and-solar/

>one wind power plant requires half a ton rare earth magnets that are only available from china

youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1Xja6HlIU

>thinking nuclear reactors can explode even in case of terrorist attack

Oh the wonders of american education. Terrorists or even state actors cant make modern reactors to melt down nor explode

>inb4 referencing Chernobyl

The reactor was deliberately made to meltdown and padlocking the failsafe systems really didnt help.

A bomb exploding inside a nuclear reactor is a threat
A 9/11 style plane crash on a nuclear reactor is a threat
Even if they can't make it melt down, getting enough radioactive material for a dirty bomb is a threat.

>A 9/11 style plane crash on a nuclear reactor is a threat
Only if the government is involved.

We were also going to have a new one but the right wing chimped out because muh evil russians were going to build it.

>implying you get a bomb inside of a nuclear reactor
Also uranium used in nuclear reactors will not create a dirty bomb. Read a fucking book

So, they cant make a reactor melt down nor can they create a dirty bomb with the uranium used in a nuclear reactor

Read a book user or at least use google

fas.org/programs/ssp/nukes/non-proliferation and arms control/uraniumdirtybombs.html

>implying you get a bomb inside of a nuclear reactor
yes, I am implying exactly that. While there is no guarantee that this would cause a meltdown, there is definitely risk.

>uranium used in nuclear reactors will not create a dirty bomb
Not true, it will not create a fission or nuclear bomb, but using nuclear waste to make a dirty bomb by combining radioactive material with a traditional bomb is something terrorists have been trying for quite some time now.

A dirty bomb would not kill many people, but it would be enormously disruptive

Claiming that terrorists can get a bomb inside a nuclear reactor is like saying prisoners will break out from ADX florence. Its impossible without it being an inside job

If you read the link I posted you would know why such dirty bomb is impossible with juclear fuel found in nuclear plants

Terrorists would need thousands of tons of uranium to irradiate manhattan island with majority being alpha radiation.

Like O said, read a book or at least glance at the article which I posted

They can with inside help, its a really low chance but if it happens it will be a total disaster and would cause a worldwide war against nuclear energy, especially with high levels of radical islamic terrorism we can not take chances with it

It's not like they have not been trying

>President Bush said that U.S. forces “found diagrams of American nuclear power plants” in al-Qaeda materials in Afghanistan. An al-Qaeda training manual lists nuclear plants as among the best targets for spreading fear in the United States.

>in 1972 three hijackers took control of a domestic passenger flight along the east coast of the U.S. and threatened to crash the plane into a U.S. nuclear weapons plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

>2004 report by the U.S. Congressional Budget Office, "The human, environmental, and economic costs from a successful attack on a nuclear power plant that results in the release of substantial quantities of radioactive material to the environment could be great."[11] An attack on a reactor’s spent fuel pool could also be serious, as these pools are less protected than the reactor core. The release of radioactivity could lead to thousands of near-term deaths and greater numbers of long-term fatalities.

Nuclear reactors become preferred targets during military conflict and, over the past three decades, have been repeatedly attacked during military air strikes, occupations, invasions and campaigns:[3]
In September 1980, Iran bombed the Al Tuwaitha nuclear complex in Iraq, in Operation Scorch Sword, which was a surprise IRIAF (Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force) airstrike carried out on 30 September 1980, that damaged an almost complete nuclear reactor 17 km south-east of Baghdad, Iraq.[13]
In June 1981, an Israeli air strike completely destroyed Iraq's Osirak nuclear research facility.
Between 1984 and 1987, Iraq bombed Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant six times.
In 1991, the U.S. bombed three nuclear reactors and an enrichment pilot facility in Iraq.
In 1991, Iraq launched Scud missiles at Israel's Dimona nuclear power plant.
In September 2007, Israel bombed a Syrian reactor under construction.[3]

Expose them to radiation.

Convincing people doesn't usually work, only exceptional people can be convince through rational arguments.

>what kind of assholes blow up a nuclear reac-
>It was us

Should have figured.

yup, it is easy to forget that not all nuclear reactors are in first world countries

you don't
you explain how almost all reactors are built on fault lines and say that it's beneficial to run on coal and other energy than potentially risk contaminating more of the world with another meltdown

Post aesthetic power plants pls. Love the way they look for some reason. May have to do with autism and Sonic levels.

take a look at iter, the first fussion reactor that is expected to generate more energy than it takes to run.

if this bad boy works we are in business

>ITER
If only you funded us and actually cooperated with us not only would it be running fully by 2020 but you'd also free most of Europe from Russian and arab oil.
Like the thing i understand the least about American is how angry they are a terrorist and how unorganized they are politically to take steps against their existence.

post pictures of actual nuclear plants for one

>cooling tower next to water
what the fuck is wrong with these people?

dafuq would we give money to you faggots?

We just turned off our very successful MIT fussion reactor and we are using the data from that to create our own companies that will be actively competing with your slow asses.

I am rooting for Seattle's Helion Energy

You can only try using facts and logic. Its a great shame hiw ignorant people are when it comes to nuclear power.

>Inertial Fusion reactor
FUCKING MEME FUSION REACTOR.
hahahahahahhahahahahha
>betting on a College project instead of International cooperation with the most advanced Country in the Nuclear Energy field.

Go back in time and prevent all the times it wasn't safe.

Roll around in it.

Sorry france, is not that we don't like you....
No, wait, it is that we just don't like you.

Maybe get rid of your colonial problems and start working five days a week again and we will talk

WE

>Sup Forums always claiming nuclear power is safe and cheap
>chimps the fuck out when asked for sauce

Never fucking change

I remember when Fukushima happened, when they were suppressing how bad it really was, and liberals were saying "see! its safe!"

I'll give you $100 if you jump into a coolant pool for spent fuel rods.

I'm sure there's good arguments on both sides, it's just that Sup Forums is spouting about how amazing Nuclear energy is PURELY because the general opinion is that it's not.

Actually it's ioncredibly safe so long as the proper procautions are met. Hell it isn't even that dangerous as the news media like to make everyone think it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=ROAO1saHEvs

You can hold a piece of uranium or plutonium or any other long half life radioisotope without any ill effect. So long as it isn't energized.

The CIA using nuclear waste disposal as a dark operation to dispose of incriminating evidence.

uh, 0

fucking slovenians you pieces of shit, shut down your faggot ass nuclear power plant
>mfw i live in the south of austria, and when i was a child, home alone, there was breaking news in the middle of the night, saying this shit exploded and a radio active cloud will hit my city in a few minutes

italy has 0

I try so hard but in the end I always get
>but what about muh earth quakes?? That will destory them
>I say "the soviets made there nuclear plant out of crap materials and had a bad design, our nucelar plants are able to withstand small earthquakes"
>b-but what about if there was a big earthquake!!!
>what if there was a big earthquake? If it were that big it would have probably killed you
>well if It didn't kill me id get radiation posionsing and die

Hate arguing with these people