Religion

Is there actually people who are unironically religious? I'm not saying there isn't a god but religion itself seems like a sham.

Other urls found in this thread:

psy.miami.edu/faculty/mmccullough/Papers/Relig_self_control_bulletin.pdf
youtu.be/vQgI4bHpAlA
ted.com/talks/sam_harris_science_can_show_what_s_right
youtube.com/watch?v=irQ4SG5Rw60
youtube.com/watch?v=tlDvcu6RM9o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ricky Gervais and those "types" are why I can't in good conscious refer to myself as an Atheist.

Also this. But be warned, it's not for children; you'll have to do some serious thinking.

Christfags inc

>Guaranteed replies

>Unironically defining your ideology by the people you think are fans of it

I bet you post on Sup Forums or Sup Forums or Sup Forums about how the normies are ruining your experience by liking what you like

>is there actually people
You had so many chances to proofread not look like a dumbass leaf, but yet here we are, with you looking like a dumbass leaf.

I don't think there's a god, but I think christianity is good because it gives people a moral center and prevents relativism, and reminds people that some things( like freedoms) are too important to lose. Sure there's philosophy and etc, but most people don't go from religious to philosophists, they go from religious to hedonistic.

I mean yeah you get the fanatics and bullshitters, but when it's separate from state it's good.

Couldn't you just create a moral framework without a god then? I mean, if you don't believe in one, you obviously believe that Christians made a moral framework without one.

Couldn't you base a moral/philosophical moment on things other than servitude to a church?

Tell me this. If god exists, why do anything?

Your path has already been laid out, why not just sit back and spend all day thanking god?

If you actually do anything else then how do you call yourself religious? I mean why bother to work for instance when god will provide everything to you?

Sure, some people can do that, but most cannot.

And then you get the degeneracy, nihilism or even worse, an aggressive religion (islam) winning over people that lost all hope and try to find salvation in something.

psy.miami.edu/faculty/mmccullough/Papers/Relig_self_control_bulletin.pdf

Literally not an argument

I mean, I would like that, for everyone to just not bother each other, but I really do not think this happens, looking at atheist leftists.

>Your path has already been laid out
The existence of God does not preclude free will.

You take that with your selfie stick?

I'm not religious, but I'll defend it as a means to enter a fist fight with someone who tries to talk down on me about the subject.

I'm edgy and contrarian at heart.
If I see some anti-preacher getting uppity near me I feel the urge to defend religion.
Beyond that I could careless.

The harder these people push, my desire to punch back grows inexplicably.
These people fight so vigorously to end religion, it makes me question who is trying to brainwash who.

Reject and resist it all.
I just want to be neutral damnit.

>dat pic
Why do atheists always present such weak arguments?

>Tell me this. If god exists, why do anything?
>Your path has already been laid out
Why do you think so? An almighty God can provide you a free will.

>that unfunny homo
>thinking he's smart

Comedians, exceptionally witty with a flyweight intellect.

Almost all of these "3000" are pagan gods made up by the Hindus before Christ. Now much of the world is in agreement on what God is real, the disagreements come in what His revelation is.

Spiritual, yes. Religious, no. Like everything humanity has come up with, I'm sure the people that came up with religions fucked it up. I'm sure my beliefs have errors in them. But that doesn't change my beliefs that this universe has a creator, it has a purpose, it had a beginning, and it will have an end. What each of those are, I have no fucking clue. But I have a belief of what they should be. And I will act within those beliefs until I die. Because they are a far better vision of humanity and life then you have. And even if they are lies I tell myself, that lie is far more beautiful and worthy of being truth, then your sad sack of shit vision of life.

Tell me Sup Forums, who here actually believes in souls?

I mean, an actual, immortal, goes on living after you do soul.

For one thing, we know the mind is physical, and we can fuck with it. Drugs can alter your perception, personality... whatever. They did a study once where they showed that they could get a group of people to accept that a simulated "attempted murder" (video of a guy trying to poison another guy but the poison was just mislabeled sugar) was fine by shutting off parts of the brain with magnets.

But outside of that...

Let's say I'm a good guy, going to heaven or whatever. But then I get in an accident and a metal rod gets jammed through my skull. Takes out part of my frontal lobe, and I lose all inhibition in my actions. I sex/gamble/lie my way through life, and become a dick.

If I die, do I go to hell? Does that damage get repaired and I get to go to Heaven? What happens to that person I was, when I was good? What happens to the person I was when I was bad?

Religion is the father of philosophy, not science.
This is why the things they say seem so bizarre in the back of our minds. An are often daft and childish.

Take this guy for instance. He thought he was clever, and being funny. Making an interesting post, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

These are ideas and coils, and questions man has wrestled with long before he picked up a glass beaker and made watermelonium.

>The embodiment of Sup Forums

You sound like a huge faggot and this is why you have no friends and have never been fucked. Grow up and stop acting like a 13 year old.

>says I'm just trying to be clever and funny
>"watermelonium"

Nothing I said is wrong, you just have nothing to counter it. The soul is an old idea, but so was the idea that illness was caused by an imbalance of the four humors.

I mean, regardless of who fathered them, philosophers are not worth as much as they believe themselves to be, especially when they try to comment on the real world. Look at Descartes. We learn about his philosophy, but I had to read his book once... he goes on to try and logic out that the heart works by heating the blood rapidly, causing it to expand.

Conjecture without knowledge.

Aquinus is caught up in abstraction. Events do not have causes, because what we call a separate event is an arbitrary splitting of the same process. It requires no conjecture to assume existence changes by it's own nature.

By that same measure, free will implies that you are somehow separate from this process. That does not mean you are a puppet at the whims of fate, but rather you and it are one acting body.

>I can't refer to myself as what I am or I'll feel uncool
m8

Yes, but theres far more religions:
>star wars
>marvel
>sports
>Warcraft
>warhammer
>magic the gathering
>movies
Etc

People are more religiously devoted to these cult followings. Religion is flourishing.

full of fallacies

And your ideology isnt? Tell me more about you enlightenment

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

"feeling cool" is all that matters. Look at this limp dicked blow hard.

>Ricky Gervais
>Fully grown adult man
>Still a literalist
>"Snakes don't TALK dude COME ON hahaha"

Religion is super fucking fun to study and you'd have to be an idiot not to see the utility of religion regarding one's perception/relationship with their environment/society.

I'm a full blown atheist but I love talking to religious people and reading about religion/visiting churches etc. It's interesting. It has value. If you go in with a holier-than-thou pseudo-intellectual jerkoff mindset then you won't be able to extract anything positive from it.

Gervais acts like "not believing in fairy tales" is worth bragging about as a fully grown 55 year old adult male. If it weren't for Karl I wouldn't be able to sit through his podcast 2bh, Steve does the same shit.

Nice babys first woke thought. Manchildren are woat but its not a surrogate for religion friend.

There is no god but Allah and Mohammad(pbuh) is his prophet :^)

Please come back to this board when you've cleaned your vocabulary of made up tumblr words.

>famous person made a quote hurr hurr
quit eating into the jew media you stupid leaf

I'm an atheist but I have no idea what the point of "proselytizing" for atheism is. What does Ricky have to gain by this, besides smug superiority?

NOW THIS IS A STORY ALL ABOUT HOW. I can't help myself guys, I just fucking love Simple Squamous Epithelial.
It's all I think about, I eat sleep and breath Simple Squamous Epithelial. MY LIFE GOT FLIPPED-TURNED UPSIDE DOWN.
I want to be it's Senpai, its guidance an example of what a great Epidermis is supposed to be.
I want to watch over it and protect it when things get too heavy to handle in my pants, and carry it back in my arms if it does get irritated.
AND I'D LIKE TO TAKE A MINUTE JUST SIT RIGHT THERE, I want to show it why I have such great feelings towards him. Why when it sees me, my heart flutters and gives me weak knees,
and why its sweet strawberry scented mane, its soft velvet feeling, makes me want to wrap my lips so tightly around its big frame to provide sensation unbound. ILL TELL YOU HOW
I can't help but think of its pulsating thick veins in contrast to its rough mushroom head, brushing it on my face as it gets tsundere with me while I stutter the words "more please" causing a smile upon my lips.
I BECAME THE PRINCE OF BEL-AIR it's almost a nightmare at this point knowing my dreams cut off before my lips make contact with it's dark dangling flap, its so taunting that I don't think I can live without tasting black-cock foreskin. In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school when a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air."
I begged and pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way

I'm not one of the religious, but statistically speaking, there are people who believe in a god who also browse this board.

>for there are many lords and gods but we serve the creator of all
I love how these people never once even take a look in the book they trash.

Religion is indeed a sham, but that does not mean that faith isn't the single most potent element of human existence.

So Zeus and that one Aztec war god and Amaterasu all exist according to Christianity? Or am I an idiot?

>besides smug superiority
I think that's the point.

KING JAMES VERSION:

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

>bashing people for not reading the bible, but reads the mass-market-paperback edition and pretends his cuck religion is legitimate and rational

kys

These modern atheists think they're very clever pointing out obvious flaws with a 2000 year old book. They can't even grasp the function of religion in a society of teaching common morals regardless of what the individual citizen believes existentially.

It doesn't flat out name those specific ones, but I like to think so. There are numerous gods/demons worshipped in the Bible that gave people extraordinary powers. People were turning sticks into snakes left and right, that's why no one was immediately blown away when someone did it and claimed the God of Abraham made it happen. I personally believe (this is solely my own thoughts and in no way reflect the teachings of the Bible or other believers) that back then magic was extremely common and tons of mythology is real. Magic and such is now only known and used by the elite and kept under tight wraps simply because if you can prove magic and the devil is real then God isn't a far stretch at all. This is Satan's earth and he wants the truth hidden as to more easily keep us slaves to this world.
>the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist

>comparing polytheism to monotheism
Polytheistic gods and the monotheistic God don't even inhabit the same ontological category. Unironically treating the two groups as though they're in any way comparable shows a profound ignorance of metaphysics.

No one was bashing anyone friend. Cherry picking is a nasty habit though we all need to be mindful of

How many of those Religions were universalizable instead of local? How many of them actually gathered support all over the globe?
Only christianism and islam.

>reading the iteration by a sodomite king
I shiggy diggy

>if you can prove magic and the devil is real then God isn't a far stretch at all.
I have to agree with this. If suddenly people could turn sticks into snakes, set wet wood on fire instantly, and heal the sick, then I'd have to start rethinking my beliefs.

God is a metaphor for morals, for morality to be important to people they need this tangible entity representing it.

Sometimes, what is moral may not make sense. This is because our mind is clouded by our own desires, we try to convince ourselves that X is actually a good thing because X makes us feel good. To have true morality, we must adhere to a moral code.

Atheism is not a rebellion against God's existence, it's a rebellion against the morals he stands for. Atheists do not respect the rules of the bible, that's why they become atheists. They then go on to shove bananas up their ass and fuck mentally ill trannies (Im refering to Amazing Atheist).

TLDR Religion is necessary for most people, it should be seperate from science though. I'm not religious myself, this is just a reason I believe it's important to have religion. A lot of people can't decide on morals for themselves.

Imagine being so stupid that you think that is a compelling argument.

I seriously want to punch that smug faggot.....

Agnosticism is the only logical position.

Religion, specifically Christianity, is undoubtedly good for individuals and for societies.

I therefore choose to believe.

>Ricky "Fake Laughter" Gervais.

Yeah. Kek exists. Your point?

>There have been thousands of different political ideologies throughout human history. And they are all bullshit. But not your political ideology, Ricky Gervasis. No, your postmodern liberal views that just happen to correspond to the modern zeitgeist are absolute truth.

yes
the only other practical belief is complete nihilism

if one accepts nihilism as the case, than there is no meaning in any sort of ideology, therefore I am not bound by some high ideal of seeking truth, authenticity or science

so why not choose the more comforting option and believe in a higher power

Hara Hara Mahadeva!!!

You'd have to be unbelievably dense to not believe in God at this point. the revelation of Christ forever changed the hearts of men and brought true freedom into the world regardless of personal circumstances or short comings.

Which fallacies? I'll wait

because only an animal would do that. Are you sheep? Mr. user? Are you pissing yourself right now like a sheep?

Fuck off, Serj.

religion is for morons

Ugh, no... capitalism did that...

Sup Forums claims to be smart but then believes in a God without evidence. You guys should be Atheist if you're as smart as you claim.

>for morality to be important to people they need this tangible entity representing it.

this is the same argument for communism.

youtu.be/vQgI4bHpAlA

>true freedom
>but do what god says or else

you don't understand freedom at all

>all gods and world views are equal

This is egalitarian thinking. Hence why leftists hate Christians.

>muh "you can't disprove it either" argument

You should be embarrassed.

How can Christianity be a failed science if the goal of Christ was to produce good people?

>And even if they are lies I tell myself, that lie is far more beautiful and worthy of being truth, then your sad sack of shit vision of life.

GTFO Sup Forums then, that's some blue pilled shit.

>I will continue to believe that all races and genders are equal and that communism is the best economic policy, otherwise I would feel very upset that the world doesn't work the way I wished it worked

Sam Harris has no answer why rational actors shouldn't act completely socio-pathically in the absence of belief in "goodness" in a metaphysical sense outside of physical/animal evolutionary existence.

>I don't care what's true, I care what's useful.

So you're a utilitarian?

Difference being there is no downside to believing in Christ.

its usually just trolls, nobody is really religious on Sup Forums

>How can Christianity be a failed science if the goal of Christ was to produce good people?

How can communism be a failed government if the goal of marx was to produce a good society?

do you really believe a jewish hippie came back from the dead because 2 women said so in a manuscript written years after the fact?

he wrote a whole book on it
ted.com/talks/sam_harris_science_can_show_what_s_right

>Sam Harris has no answer why rational actors shouldn't act completely socio-pathically in the absence of belief in "goodness" in a metaphysical sense outside of physical/animal evolutionary existence.
Yes he does. He says maximizing the well-being of conscious creatures is objectively normatively binding on everyone, whether they hold that value or not. He does not believe in agent-relativity of reasons.

What he has no answer for is why anybody should do what is morally right, given that "morally right" just means "so as to maximize the well-being of conscious creatures".

Is there any reason to not believe in God? Atheists embrace nihilism and tear their countries apart looking for meaning.

>a fellow Czech believes in God

wtf I hate my country now

God and afterlife provides something that will attract and keep people in the religion. Even if most don't believe it, you can't say that it's just made up bullshit to benefit society, because then nobody will stick to it.

Religion is too hard for me to get into. As if anybody knows from the mouth of God what all this is about.

Spirituality, or believing in God is much more realistic IMO

yes the entire middle east has been torn apart by rampaging nihilism.....

excellent book.
might not be the silver bullet needed to convince a zealous internet atheist, but it does a great job of aggregating the historical evidence for laymen. the style it's written in makes it a really light read too.

Alas, you are not educated in the science you claim to love and cling to so much. Physics explicitly states that for every action there needs to be an equal and opposite reaction. The big bang was surely a reaction, a chain of events triggered by a possibly singular catalyst.

The question is, what was the catalyst? What was the initial action that caused the universe to exist? The big bang theory is more an argument for the existence of a higher power, than the idea that the universe has always existed.

But to be honest, the big bang was an alien turning on their game console, and getting ready to start the simulation.

>a really light read
I wonder what is the target audience. Hm.

the guy really should have disappeared after Extras. hes ruined his career now IMO.

well clearly he failed

youtube.com/watch?v=irQ4SG5Rw60

youtube.com/watch?v=tlDvcu6RM9o

america sucks so bad
i've got fresh off teh boat koreans living next door
so proper they won't ask for their soccer balll back.
i send it back.
>such a nazi
their kid storms out the door to say hi to me
i say hey, bud, how's it going?
he says jabbajookbookajabba
i interpret it as "i love america"
i say, 'me too, let's make it great again'
he says 'jabbadab ba juke me woop mu fucca;
i nod and shake his fathers hand
(at least he has a father)
i try to explain how barry lyndon is really the epitome of white culture.
>tfw nothing means nothing unless i'm keifer sutherland

normal literate people and not people with degrees in theology/philosophy/history.
he goes around interviewing people who do though.

there's no point in suggesting something heavy to your typical atheist, since even their leaders (dawkins for instance) are philosophically retarded.

you should give it a read.

>leaf

religion is good when it's not forced upon anyone or hurting anyone. Most religions are a guideline of how to live your life. Yes, most of those guidelines requires you to live in ignorance of reality.
But even if they do, they tend to live good and honorable lives.

Some people need it, life can be too much to handle for some people.

most christians haven't read the bible either dummy

is this a real data-point or are you pulling it out of your ass?
genuinely curious because it's plausible.