Biological Immortality

As you know some animal and plant life live forever unless injured or diseased.

How can this be introduced to humans and if introduced will there be a need for population control depending on the planet humans inhabit and traditionally giving birth to a child be reserved for space faring colonists only?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xL6irtFx5m4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the first step is putting a Romanian in a hydraulic press

Example of an animal living forever? I was under the impression that "very long time" was about as far as you could get with microscopic organisms/ bacteria.

Let me dig some examples

Sadly

Creating an "immortal" can (potentialy) only created using genetical engineering, thus it cannot be acquired once you're born.

Some jewgle results

What animals are immortal?
Backward-aging jellyfish. A tiny variety of jellyfish known as Turritopsis doohmii, or more commonly, the immortal jellyfish, has found a way to cheat death by actually reversing its aging process, according to National Geographic. ...
Ever-growing lobsters. ...
Sturdy turtles. ...
Regenerating flatworms. ...
Tough whales.

Apparently plants live forever if you meet their environmental needs constantly

Fpbp

>As you know some animal and plant life live forever unless injured or diseased.

No, I don't know that. Provide me the evidence and sources of immortal plants and animals.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere

Above is what's need to be looked into in order to get a better understanding how aging works. This is the first step and already genetic engineerers and nano techies are looking into it.

>some animal and plant life live forever unless injured or diseased
No.

Immortality already exists, it's called having children
The egotism of insisting that one human iteration's single mind should continue forever is shortsighted and childish

The size and complexity of humans makes biological immortality with genetic engineering unfeasible.

We could achieve extremely long lifespans with a few changes possibly, but immortality will be achieved digitally most likely.

From kikepedia

> A biologically immortal living being can still die from means other than senescence, such as through injury or disease.

If you engineer a male and a female to be immortal and then tell them to have children like crazy they will probably give birth to biologically immortal children?

Yes.

You can't expect me to believe you without giving an example.

Likewise. Also my response is a specific rhetoric aimed at pointing out your own faulty argument ( i.e "No" for the obvious retard), as for examples they were already stated.

>Turritopsis dohrnii, or Turritopsis nutricula, is a small (5 millimeters (0.20 in)) species of jellyfish that uses transdifferentiation to replenish cells after sexual reproduction. This cycle can repeat indefinitely, potentially rendering it biologically immortal. This organism originated in the Caribbean sea, but has now spread around the world. Similar cases include hydrozoan Laodicea undulata[13] and scyphozoan Aurelia

yes

>potentially rendering it biologically immortal
>potentially

It has yet to be proven. As of now, there are no organisms known to be biologically "immortal".

>what is survival instinct

We aren't buddhist-minded like you user, we're christian-minded, and thus we see passage of time as line and not a cycle.

tl:dr perpetuating the cycle of birth and death isn't immortality for Westerners.

If you smoke enough weed you will practically live forever.

The hardest part is smoke enough though. Byt even few grams a day will increase your lifespan by 10-20 years.

a bacterium is basically the same, when it splits in two, which is the original and which is the child?

It's not the same as a higher creature being immortal. It's like saying that a hammer and anvil can last for 1000 years, so how do we take that technology and apply it to laptop computers?

wut.
All it matters is focusing on how to reverse/stop the aging process of cells. Getting injured or killed is a goal for another day.

Problem with that is, that jellyfish does fit the criteria for biological immortality, you sitting next to it for billions of years making sure it does not die to prove your own point is quite the challenge

>implying I'm a jap and not a white Christian
enough with the memes françoise

It already exists in the form of perpetual heart transplantation and absorption of embryonic/fetal stem cells. It's why Soros/Rockefellar/Rothchild invest so heavily into abortion. Enjoy your immortal oligarchs.

I'm going to say this without any malice or insult intended: your mind is not so precious that we need to preserve it forever

No control is nessesary, because people will always kill each other.

Immortality can come a number of ways.
We are already able to transplant heads and have done it successfully with monkey's. This would still leave our age determined by brain cell degeneration which may or may not be resolved.

The more likely approach would be a complete transfer of consciousness into a cloned version of ourselves, allowing us to still be ourselves forever.

This is the antichrist deception, imo.
Tanshumanism will be the Mark of The Beast.

That reminds me, wasn't there an upcoming human head transplantation being planned?

Billions of years won't cut it. You still would have a literal eternity left.

This is the problem with any equation involving infinity. Complete untestability, rendering any prediction moot.

That sounds fucked up t b h, I hate to be one of the first Humans to have this done to. I'll wait until the process is absolutely perfect first.

You see, if we do achieve biological immortality people will continue to die due to accidents, disease or catastrophic environmental changes like planetary extinction level events such as asteroid impacts, etc, even if biological immortality is achieved, humanity has to spread far and wide in the universe

Japs are a nexus of pure degeneracy.

Please unfuck yourselves, you godless reprobate nips.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xL6irtFx5m4

BASED nippon strikes again!!

Kill yourself, filthy jap monkey. Or better yet, die after being cucked by me.

Some form of it already exists in humans. It's called cancer.

actually this
write a book if you want your ideals and views to be followed

I appreciate the non-malicious comment.
I just merely support the idea of immortality, and pool in my small amount of info to assist others who also like the idea of immortality. Don't know what you mean that "mind is not so precious" even tho I'm just a simple commoner just like you. Try not to put other people down to your level though, ok nip?

stop talking shit, death is not genetic

autistic tard, come to netherlands you would fit in with the population

Immortality of what? Humanity already is immortal, physically through reproduction and intellectuelly through writings etc.

Is there anything more that needs indefinite preservation?

All we need to do is to NOT fuck it up

I imagine that prosthetics and digital enhancements are the future over transplants. I can't believe they're still taking place desu (in regards to limbs).

Don't know but I would point out there are physical limits on the amount of data that a brain could ever store no matter how you enhanced it, and the animals capable of biological mortality probably live without any permanently enduring personality or memory. Even if we found a way to keep human bodies from degenerating you'd face personality death eventually, you'd either have such little recollection of your life that you're not really you any more or you'd just increasingly lose the ability to incorporate new memories and neural developments.

Water bears are near immortal

boom headshot

Anyone would be hard pressed to "prove" that any of these organisms live forever considering that confirming that will take an infinite amount of time. However, the Immortal jellyfish simply doesn't die of aging that's how the process works.

hydras might have immortal cells

Always top bantz japan

Again damn how do you do it

>Even if we found a way to keep human bodies from degenerating you'd face personality death eventually

There could be a way to hook your hippocampus up to computer parts, like in Fallout 4.

>Giant Tardigrade
>Xenomorph

Who wins?

>simply doesn't die of aging
You can't know that. You're being intellectually dishonest.

Why is it always that your and others examples always seem to "might"/"possibly"/"not impossibly" be 'immortal'?

>gee, let's develop a technology for immortality
>Soros and Rockefeller and other guys like them surely won't abuse it, while ordinary people, like me, will have access to it and benefit greatly
>t. gypsy

Iirc one of the functions of dreams/nightmares or not just when you're asleep, iirc the brain has a natural dataflushing system that allows it to "clear it's cache" so it will always have enough room to operate no matter what

Buddy, under that pretext you can't be certain of anything. In fact, the only thing that you can be certain of is that everything will change. Under your fictional scenario arguing about anything that won't happen in the next 5 minutes is completely pointless.

GO home, Abdul, never heard of CRISPR?

That would mean digitising your personality. Maybe that's what you'd go for, but in that case you've set aside biological immortality. And even then, it may be that after an extraordinarily long lifespan it's physically and computationally impossible to keep all the important stuff on hand.

right, but eventually you would have so much essential data that you'd have to start jettisoning important stuff. Imagine a thousand years of life and all the memorable events in it, there would come a point where your brain has to forget more than just what you had for breakfast yesterday in order to make room.

This

Not being aware of CRISPR IN 2k17 LULW

Humanity immortal? Did you ever heard about how many nukes we have?

No, I'm simply choosing to disregard any assertion containing the words "infinite", "eternity", "immortal" or "for ever".

Any equation with infinity as an argument will give an undefined response.

It all builds on the false belief that there is anything like "unlimited potential" or "infinity" in the world. This belief gives rise to alot fallacies. The greeks had it right being sceptics regarding that idea

Yes, you will probably start to forget at that point, I don't know the brains limits, maybe it can store millenia old memories or memories from even 100k years ago, who knows

You could have biological immortals at birth through genetic modifications I guess, but you could also achieve that by "repairing" via rejuvenation therapies (people then do not age)

We are not talking about humanity you fucking idiot, there is always one guy like you thinking he's so smart for bringing up that point
We are going to get back the Ruhr from you, fucking kraut

>As you know some animal and plant life live forever unless injured or diseased.
Yeah there's a jellyfish that can turn itself back into a juvenile.

I don't know the answer to your question though. It would be cool to be able to turn yourself back into a toddler.

I think a stable biological age of 25 is perfect

These animals can still be squished or eaten but they're not programmed to die at a certain age necessarily.

>I think a stable biological age of 25 is perfect
There must be an evolutionary reason for the reset. An analogous thing I can think of is when people tend to tear down interiors of old houses and do a complete renovation because piecemeal fixing is less efficient.

Well if they were immune to disease and phisical trauma they would be the fantasy world version of immortal without biological at the beginning

I don't think there's any reason the brain would be equipped to maintain clear and coherent recollections of much more than a normal lifespan. In fact, if anything it's probably equipped for a shorter life than modern medicine actually enables, even people past the age of 60 have increasingly overburdened memories.

There must be a way for knowledge to be accommodated or else this biological immunity seems kinda useless, and walking around with a backpack filled with quantum "harddrives" just so you can acces memories from your now 100 thousand year life seems like a pain in the ass

But first you need to study a healthy biologically immune human and see when he starts having problems remember wring important things he learned hundreds of years ago when and if it starts to become a problem

The regression of bone marrow might have alot to do with aging. While newborns have it in every bone, with age there remain only few bones while the rest kinda crystalizes.

And then again, you mention people at the age of y0 start having problems remembering, but that has to be because of their biologically clocked at 60 years brain, now if that same human had a healthy biologically clocked at 25 brain he should have no problems, maybe

Surely it would get pretty boring too.

Well, you would always pursue ways to enhance your intellect or even become a full time explorer, if the chill philosophical life would be too boring, you'd be out exploring

anyone ever dream of cephalopods fucking our shit?

you could probably edit out what causes boredom too

no, it's not because of physical decay, not for the most part at least, it's just because it's increasingly overburdened with data.

Imagine a hard drive with barely any space left. It's sluggish and performing poorly, but it's not because it's old or damaged, it's because it's almost full and it's choking on the data. Replacing it with a new one and loading all the data onto the new one wouldn't make a difference, instead you just have to clear out some space. Our brain constantly does that, that's why we forget things, there are actually people who lack the ability to forget things properly and it causes them problems.

Problem is though, the longer you live the more of the data on your hard drive is stuff you don't want to clear off, until eventually you're at 95% capacity and there's nothing you can really afford to lose. That's what happens with age in a brain too, as I understand it.

Sup Forums had a small border skirmish with /sci/ earlier on... is this thread /sci/ politely retaliating?

Good responses.

>It's sluggish and performing poorly, but it's not because it's old or damaged, it's because it's almost full and it's choking on the data
I doubt it, do you have any source?

suicide>immortality

OK let's picture a crossbow next to a rifle, you would want to retain the knowledge of the rifle over the crossbow even if you yourself lived through the age of the crossbow when it was in its prime, but now since you or someone else brought the rifle into light, you can completely forget the crossbow, I'm sure you can have enough space to hold information that you need for that time line you are passing through without the need to burden yourself with old obsolete data,.

No, I made this afternoon replying to a drug thread on Sup Forums

After, god damn autocorrect

if you consider your recollections of the first 50 years of your life to be obsolete data then go for it I guess

I know the problems you are trying to put the dot on the i, it's happy memories of you spending time with loved ones, it's those memories that would drive anyone insane if they start forgetting

This is something I've been looking into recently. Red bone marrow gradually becomes yellow bone marrow. The only known methods of restoring red bone marrow are severe blood loss and smoking.
Severe blood loss forces much of the fat storing yellow bone marrow to become blood producing red marrow likely as a defence mechanism in a do or die situation.
Smoking seems to act as a form of resistance training which means that your marrow has to work harder for the same effect so it considerably reduces the speed at which red becomes yellow and can even reverse it in heavy smokers. However smoking has its own risks that can cut your lifespan. The interesting point here is that quite a number of 100+ year olds have smoked all their life so clearly if you manage to dodge the smoking related illnesses your body is actually quite healthy at that age compared to your peers due to the fact your body still produces a decent amount of blood.

The red marrow loss is a pretty horrific thing overall. Imagine your body isn't producing enough blood to fuel your body and it gets worse every year.

Immortality is coming whether christians and ackbars want it or not. Hopefully by 2030s stem cell organ replacement will make it an option for the rich, and by 2060s cheap procedures available to general public will be around.

Noone wants to forget childhood memories that made you happy, noone wants to forget the first kiss or whatever you fancy, NOONE WANTS TO FORGET TO BE HUMAN

I wonder what that feels like.

I'm sure any random 80+ year old walking corpse with a blood production that is less than a 10th of a healthy youth's will tell you that it feels like old age.

Not OP, just opened thread, but it's true one that comes in my mind right now is crocodiles, well some species - they just grow in size instead of aging - basically forever they die only because of disease or damage.

microhomological recombination technology using the Cas9-FokI nuclease can do it

1 million year old human, will they be human anymore?