Engineers, Welder/Fitters/Riggers/ Weld Inspectors When do we go to work on the pipe line?

Okay heavy industry fags.
Check in.
Who is going to work on the pipe line?
We need the following answers

> Who has the Contracts?
>How much over time are they paying?
>Will their Be Per-Diem?
>Will their be double time on Sundays ?
>7/10s? or 7/12s?
>Will the Journeyman make more than the Engineers
>Union or Non Union Jobs ?

Other urls found in this thread:

local798.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=5OwCSRuw1Lw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Robots are doing the job.

*there

I thought that was a picture of some emo kid's cut up and tattooed arm at first glance.

Yes,
That annoys the hell out of me too.

Are they? Even field jobs like these?

No

>Even field jobs like these?
Oh yeah. They can weld 5 miles per day. One man to keep putting electrodes in it.

Union jobs are a shitshow, I've worked gas infastrcture for 6 years.

Union workers are some of the most incompetent Jew led fucks you'll ever meet.

I do work around a lot of trades, and welders are the prissiest little whiny bitches I've ever met, followed by electricians.

Are millwrights ok, senpai?

>he actually thinks he's going to get a job

this shit is going to the same old crew, dumbass

Don't listen to that fag.

Electricians are the laziest cunts onsite.
Also, Fuck unions.

This, the automation meme is hilarious and a clear sign of a mentally degrading person that never steps outside

your jealousy smells like hot clam juice.

Millwrights are great. I do asbestos related work, and all the old guys millwrights, insulators, and boilermakers will sit around telling how they used to spread that shit on with their hands, and eat a bit of it if they got heartburn.

>Electricians are the laziest cunts onsite.
Insulators are pretty lazy too

>Also, Fuck unions.
Definitely. I live in Chicago, and union power is fucked up here. I was on a job once where the people doing the actual asbestos removal took 2 hours getting paperwork straightened out with the "onsite union coordinator" to do literally 5 minute's worth of work, it was just knocking a 6 inch piece of insulation hanging by literal threads from a pipe.

I've got nothing to be jealous of, my job is 10 minutes of setting up pumps, about an hour of paperwork, and then sitting around all day.

Steamfitter/pipefitter Journeyman here. Awaiting orders.

I would imagine that a pipeline like this be awarded to Local 798 and a number of independent contractors.

I doubt that the contract is set in stone at this point.

Per diem would be set by each employer.

The overtime and hours will be established by the contract. This will include premium time. I doubt that this will fall under an existing agreement, and will undoubtedly get its own specific contract.

Journeymen working 7/12s will most certainly btfo the engineers and their salaries....after including all medical/dental/pension/annuity etc.

I would imagine it will be a mix, though it could go all union or not.....Trump's recent meeting with union heads may be a GREAT sign that it will go Union.

Our Local's meeting is coming up in 2 weeks, I will certainly at that point know everything that our agents/manager know. I have known our agents and our manager for over 2 decades, so I know I can get honest answers.....and I have the same questions you asked here ready for them.....I know I am not the only one either.

Of course not.

I wonder how heavily guarded they'll be. Id love to fit that line lol. Ma pipefitter here

Depends on what states it's going through, and looking at where dakota access is going through at least, I doubt there will be much emphasis on union workers, at least when both get to illinois there will be a ton of union involvement, can't say certainly outside of that though.

>welders are the prissiest little whiny bitches
Am welder, can confirm.

Chem E. master race reporting.

Though exactly the same thing lol

chemical engineer here

willing to sit around being worthless 90% of the time, with 10% dedicated to making sure things don't go all hiroshima

considering dumping aerospace machining to get back into fitting but I know mars is close too so idk

Good welding requires it.

Also ChEng. Master race reporting in. Will be willing to design pump specs and flowcharts then stand around while everybody does the manual labour

This. Unless you're in on the nepotism, you're still getting the $15/hr temp jobs.

The big pipeline jobs are among the most exclusive in the welding business. Hence the phrase 'brother in law'.

i was convinced it was a corpse + blood smear, like someone had fallen into the pit and splattered all over the pipe

You'll be doing a lot more standing around then you may think, all the pumps and stuff are already designed.

>Duh, I'm a welder. I like contracts!

Just shut up you dumb hicks and build our damn walls and shit

unions aren't responsible for the ridiculous laws/regulations dealing with asbestos removal.

Pussies that get cancer are

Local 798 is not restricted to one state. They are simply the Pipeliner's local. They work under a national contract IIRC.

The contract(s) for unions may be negotiated by them if they are awarded the union side of it.....The scope of this project pretty much means that the sooner it is done, the sooner money is made....So they will employ everyone with skills to make it happen....union and non union.

local798.org/

And for the union haters here. Sorry you seen our worst. I am a madman, and make every attempt to offer a fair days work for the pay. When I am on the clock, it is their time.

As for the comments about the asbestos abatement....Yes, it can be a process for even something as simple as a single piece hanging on a thread.....Blame the crybabys who are scared of it. They created the red-tape, and in a way rightfully so....but the switch to fiberglass cannot be better....

>be journeyman welder
>been out of work since 2014 oil crash

>Just shut up you dumb hicks
Go fuck yourself, than crawl your piece of shit ass back to whatever safe space you oozed out of. Your pansy ass couldn't even pick up a 24" pipe wrench let alone even have the arm strength to use it correctly. Your best bet is to get a rope and kys.

Classic woman, sticking her nose in a man's conversation

>>be journeyman welder
>>been out of work since 2014 oil crash
You need to be more than a dumb welder. Get a real skill. Any retard can weld. Become a pipefitter, and be god of the trades. You will drive a jacked up diesel truck with 50 fucking inch tires.

youtube.com/watch?v=5OwCSRuw1Lw

I thought that thumbnail was an emo girl's arm hahahah
But yeah, i do window/door and window/door accessories

798 here...

Ghosts of mangled indians will haunt your mothers in their sleep.

TRUMP TO BRING BACK MORE INDUSTRIAL JOBS

MAGA

>798 here...
520 Pipefitter > Can you tell me any good tidbits that my local may not? Do you guys have any idea of what is happening? Our meeting is on the 10th, and we got some gay ass special order concerning some dumb bullshit....but I don't know if they will know shit....They were super duper Hillary shills, and I don't know how buttmad they are at the current state of the union.

Keep on fighting the good fight brother!

Civil engineer with pipeline specialization here.
Just graduated December.
Don't know where to go. Should I stay in cuckistan?
Or should I look for a company in the USA looking to hire international?

I'd like to move to the USA eventually. I don't know how I would go about any of this. I think I need a company to sponsor me though.

I am eligible for doing the PE right now though.

>electricians
>not calling them sparkys

You have never been part of any trade. Fuck off you lying cunt.

Oh and I AM SO SOOOOO SORRY that our previous administration "took" all that work away from you in our dumb ass gas fields. Don't judge me based on that fuck....That "PECK"er got BTFO when election time came...he was so butthurt he pretty much quit....he don't even bother us anymore, and he got a few more years left till he can retire.

work will be good my friend, try transferring your book you won't regret it (if you like to travel)

As they should be. When I inspect their welds, I'm the prissiest whiniest bitch ever.

The last thing I want is a liberal pointing to my job site saying "that spill is why pipelines should never exist!!!"

How hard is it to get in? Been thinking of trying to get on as a helper...

> not calling them slackers

I try to stay "Local"....Our territory is fairly expansive, and DESU there are times I have to "travel" in my own local.....I got a wife and kids, and long term assignments cause great issues....You know how us fitters can get, and I am sure you know how are wives are also.....When my kids get a bit older, I may consider, but at the moment I try to stay within a 2 hour drive of home.

If you aren't a nigger, woman or related, good fucking luck.

Pipelining is NOT a life for many, not many at all. I have seen so many families torn apart, I have seen some shit on the road. I have lived in more motels and hotels than William Shatner represents on orbit. I have lived quite life doing what I do.

goddammit

Pipelining seems like such a good job too

>Been thinking of trying to get on as a helper...
That is probably the most retarded thing you could do long term. Contact your closest local, and ask about an apprenticeship....Granted, classes generally start in late summer/fall...Ask what it takes to get into the next class.....don't sell yourself short on being a helper....Their job is basically to hand a welder his rod, and to wipe their tears away as they weld because most of them will cry the whole time....its too hot/too cold/its not a miller welder/the stinger is bad/the rod is bad etc. Tears all day long unless you get a competent adult...but they rare with pipefitters...

They can't even make credit card machines work all the time fuck off

fyi 798 helpers are paid about 23% more than a fitter. :^) we're the highest paid local in the UA

Well i wasn't thinking of doing it long term, just until i had enough money/exp. to build a rig and pass a weld test to break out

>798 helpers are paid about 23% more than a fitter. :^) we're the highest paid local in the UA
Yessir, I am well aware. You deserve it also. You spend a good portion of your professional life in hotels/motels like some sort of refugee. You deserve every cent for being a traveling show. I am blessed enough right now to be close to home, so Im not paying for room & roadfood.

I got quite a bit of respect for the men of my local, and don't know if Id ever switch. At this point, Id prefer to do something totally different than to bail on them. My grandfather handled their health and welfare back in the 70s, my father was a fitter, and so am I. We have some history, and they took care of my whole family. I want to make sure I can pay it forward. I got plenty of neet apprentices that need to have their fragile egos shattered and rebuild and molded into the psychotic monsters that we are.

just want to add for damn good reason too.. I love when we work with municipal locals, these guys will spend half a day welding up a couple 12" 500 wall, 798 shows up and we're welding to completion 70-80 42" 750 wall welds a day. We are the best, there is a reason the big jobs where FRAC and the DOT are involved pretty much require union work, and there is only one union in the world capable of handling the scale we do, with the safety record, and the product we produce local 798 is unmatched.

>just until i had enough money/exp. to build a rig and pass a weld test to break out
You can do this as an apprentice....I don't know how it feels from other locals, but helpers in our local are the last people sent to work. Our apprentices and journeyman take precedence. I don't trust a helper with a hammer, let alone to know to give me the correct rod for the job.

Our local does do a thing called "pre-apprentice"...I don't even know if it is "legal", but you will get lots more respect from our local being anything other than a metal trades or helper....

>tfw electrician

Are you 798?

I have welding exp. but not enough stick.

not many people can lay upside down on their head and run a 9" grinder with surgical precision, not many at all, good helpers in my field are treated like fucking gold as they can make the welders job effortless.

More than once I have seen a man eat a disc, I think the worst was watching a wide wire wheel snag up some dudes arm like snatching a blade of grass. The of of helper can be a motherfucker, but if you are good at your job you will never have to hire out of your hall, welders, and welder foremans alike will call.

>reading this thread

welp. I guess I'll cancel plans to start a welding degree this summer.

back to the drawing board I guess...

I only have my AWA certs so maybe I can take a job opening left by another welder.

Telecuck? Residential? Love my job m8

union first year app

you don't jump on the top of a mountain from the base, do you think the worlds demand for welders will decrease? Pipe welders are like plumbers and vice versa, shit will always have to be moved. Welding is a skill well worth learning.

Fuck off faggo I'm an apprentice electrician and aside from learning Spanish it's great. Sorry we can't just randomly slam circuits into the wall and burn the bitch down. Try doing some fucking math you ignorant ape with your stupid short stinger and welder set on 10/10. Hope your 220 plug cracks and you call me to replace it. I'll piss all on your fucking reels.

I'm in welding school and going to be working toward AWS 6g cert soon. When I pass will I stand any chance of getting picked up by a union or do I need years of job experience before they would even consider me?

I thought this was an image a of cutter and wanted to add it to my collection.

You might be able to get on as a 2yr apprentice depending on your knowledge/skills/etc

Welding in the field, is COMPLETELY different than in school.

Electricians are actually skilled workers unlike you boilermaker fags who are just dumb fucks with no skill required.

we have it the best and easiest, so all there is left to do is whine

Plant operator??

North and South Dakota are pipeline heaven.

I'd say that Trump not actively preventing pipeline construction like Obama was will be helpful.

Trump just greenlit the Keystone Pipeline, in case you tards didn't know.

What do you guys make? Looking for a career and welding school is only like 6 months to a year.

here OP, I made this just for you.

Humans are still cheaper for another ~15y, give or take. there will be plenty of automation on this front but it's niche so far (couple bridges, etc.)

Went to school for welding and had a cert for pipe. I would weld on this thing all day. I just live to far away and will need to be recertified.

>wood ladders

>that feel when gore seems more believable than people doing an honest day's work
That's what you get with a Democrat in office for 8 years.

idk.

local 33 here. They are telling us that when the current job wraps to take at least a month off as we are headed up there.

They make it sound like it will be 6/12s and an 8 for maybe 2 years

Why would journeymen make more than engineers?

Is this a union job?

> be union electrician
>browse Sup Forums all day
>occasionally slap up some conduit

Feels good man

Daily reminder that welders and pipefitters are subhumans

I aint saying electricians are smart, but I will say they got bigger balls than me, I will wrestle a 20lb grinder all day and night be it 110 or -40 but I aint fucking with the juice. Get enough juice when the grinder decides I make a pretty cool ground, we won't even talk about grounding out on the stinger.

me - 27 yo
7 years experience = 27.96 hr
OT wage = 40.19
double time (Sundays / Holidays) = 53.58

If you put in the time you draw a nice check

>be a diesel mechanic
>get tired of being pleb
>get a mechanical engineering degree
>nobody wants to hire me
>probably going to go back to old job

better yourself they said. have ambition they said.

I'm aware of that, the "onsite union coordinator" and the paperwork being straightened out had nothing to do with the removal of asbestos. It was literally just retarded union rules in chicago and on the specific job site.

>will there be double time on Sundays

Don't be stupid.

>will there be per diem

For the engineers and various contractors traveling yes. For the laborers? Well that depends on who doing it and where.

>how much over time are they paying

Industry standard is time and a half.

>will the journeyman make more than they engineers

Depends. On several factors.

>union or non union jobs

Idk. Depends on the the type of contract. Since it's in quasipartnership with the government I'd assume there is a union requirement for laborers at least. Engineers and other consultants most likely won't be union.

Any other Canadians fall for the Alberta meme?

The term "brother in law" in the pipefitting trades refers to two welders working on the same weldjoint.

You don't know shit about my trade, and it shows.

If it's a union job yes. It's absurd how much they make. Pretty fucking dirty too. For example, on a job site once and we were required to have a union guy follow us around and open the panels for us. That was his only job. We were allowed to touch the fucking panels. Didn't matter they were already cleared and tagged out. Didn't matter we're engineers (one with his PE. I'm still working on mine). Only mattered that the Union would autisticlly screech if they didn't have a union member with us the whole time we were at the plant.

Known how much he got payed? $32hr.
$32hr for contributing nothing. Fuck unions.

Stay in the shop. Yea, them field jobs pay, but then what are you gonna do when it's done being built and some dickhead took your spot at the old gig. Seen it happen to friends a few times.

>getting a degree in a over-saturated field

>one plant required union labor to open panels due to contract technicalities.
>all unions are bad.

Don't be an overgeneralizing nigger. The best tradesmen I've worked with and met have always been union, hands down.