Is Space-mining viable within our lifetime (50 years)? What would it bring for the world?

Is Space-mining viable within our lifetime (50 years)? What would it bring for the world?

Example here: Space rock found that is estimated to be worth 10 quadrillion dollars.
google.co.uk/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/96709250/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3-3DjxhGaUg
asteroidmission.org/objectives/mission-operations/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is Space-mining viable within our lifetime (50 years)
>implying that god emperor trump won't discover everlasting life before then

It all depends on the will we muster. There is a large upfront cost. Convince more people around the water cooler of the importance of space exploration, exploitation, and colonization.

It maybe worth that, but the materials would lose their value after colliding with the side of the planet and killing all life on it.

The most plausible scenario will be to mine an small near Earth asteroid to build a solar shade.

How do you get the stuff back to Earth, parachutes?

trump is going to destroy china with an asteroid while pretending its a freak event

Thats not how you mine asteroids you stupid burger.

>Is Space-mining viable within our lifetime (50 years)?
probably, reusable rockets are the first step, after that it becomes feasible to send large equipment into space

>What would it bring for the world?
fucking what won't it bring?
mining is dangerous and difficult on earth because anything we want to mine is buried under millions of tons of dirt and rock.
gravity means it is very easy for collapses to occur.
no doubt space mining will have it's own challenges, but the main problem is the initial investment

youtube.com/watch?v=3-3DjxhGaUg

Watch this. Prob not worth it for on earth.

They'll be worth it for expanding anything outside of Earth's atmosphere. It's too easy to obtain their mineral deposits on Earth, so there would be no commercial benefit to go mining with the purpose of returning materials to Earth.

But space mining will be invaluable in helping sustain infrastructure orbiting Earth or scooting around the system.

drop it into the oceans

yes, how do you think we get astronauts back?

>build a solar shade
Why though?

/sci/'s answer wasn't good enough for you?

It is not will take more than 50 years.
Your need to have an outpost on the moon to refill rockets and drop shit their to send to earth. A colony on mars or in mars orbit to reach the mother load know as the asteroid belt. from mars uranus and Jupiter rings could have shit too.

It would never make any sense to do it, aside from lowering manufacturing costs on stuff that use the material. And if it lowers that cost, then the stuff collected will devalue everything already here. The only reasons rare minerals are worth money, is because they're rare. So yeah, it's estimated worth would be 10 quadrillion dollars, but only if it stays out in space and unreachable. I don't feel like an idiot like me should have to explain this though. I'm getting trolled, aren't I?

Actually, yeah. Osiris-Rex is going to use an arm to collect samples, and then they're going into a SRC, to be returned to Earth.

asteroidmission.org/objectives/mission-operations/

Bet you fags don't have anything like pic related, do you?

>when atmospheric entry melts the metal for you so you don't have to smelt it

That's $10,000 quadrillion, as in $10 QUINTILLION DOLLARY DOOS.

They'll find some space fungus on an asteroid and ban mining forever for ""science""" reasons

To answer yr question, please outline all the technical advancements you expect in the next 50 years.

I didn't realize Eskimos had internet.

Also is that a Steven Universe reference?

>tfw we build the wall with moon rocks

No.

>inb4 space elevator pasta

Well yes, basic economics would dictate it's going to be worth the minimum amount that it takes to mine and transport back to earth, so Earthen ore would have to exceed that price to make it worth it. Most likely, it would be much better to mine and refine it at the rock in order to make shuttle parts.

It is possible.

1. Nuclear power+fuel cells to get rid of internal combustion cars. Oil product price drops.
2. Huge reusable rockets to make a Moon base. Think Musk colonial transporter, 10000 tons liftoff.
3. With solar power on Moon surface, build parts of a usable spaceship. Assemble in Lagrange point 1.
4. Go dig asteroids.

Fair enough if you ask me.