Sup Forums BTFO

Sup Forums BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qezLhypA0Y
orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-I.pdf
orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-II.pdf)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plumbbob
youtube.com/watch?v=eObepuHvYAw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is scale

That just means astronomers are doing their jobs while NASA lolligags and sits on their ass while American astronauts use Russian rockets to get into space.

yes, i'd rather not have publicly funded fearmongering

>there are people who thinks that nasa is non-essential
what?

And what would NASA do if they found out that one of those asteroids would actually hit Earth, stop it?
The film Armageddon wasn't a documentary you mug.

Can NASA do anything to stop a collision?

Do people seriously think NASA's job is stopping large celestial objects from crashing into the earth? Do they think that's why NASA receives funding?

It's not their fault obama made them focus on low orbit research.

What? Since when did NASA start protecting us from asteroids? Do you think the movie Armageddon was a documentary? lol

DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES

asteroids are new global warming
laughable bs

This. Tomorrow we might die in a car crash. Can i get NASA funding now?

Yes. They will hire Bruce Willis to man a mission and drill a hole in the center of it and blow it up. I have it from a trusted confidential source.

If the time frame is short--- nuke it repeatedly.

If the time frame is long - gravity tractors. That is, launch 1 or more space probes to that orbit or fly along with the dangerous asteroid and, through simple gravity, slowly pull the asteroid into a non-dangerous orbit.

The big danger isn't asteroids. Its comets. And those could come barreling out of the deeps of the solar system at such rates that we couldn't actually do anything by the time we detect them. Particularly OLD comets that no longer bloom well.

Depends on the time. Nasa said that they need at least 5 years to come up with a plan to stop a killer rock. The last one that was close enough for them to throw something together "just in case", they caught wind of it only 20 months in advance, which isn't even enough time to send a rocket up to observe it from orbit.

The most likely scenario is that Nasa fires a big laser at the rock. They heat it and as it heats it's slowly moved off-course. Even a 1 or 2 degree adjustment could make the difference. Nasa has only just barely figured out how to land probes on Asteroids, not manned space vehicles, and nukes would be a dumb solution.

>sphere Earth
>nasa being relevant

Hahahahaha how uninitiated do you think we are?

He really did a bang up job didn't he

NASA was barely doing anything during Bush too, Bush promised a moon colony by 2010 and it never happened.

But Sup Forums is strongly in favor of space hijinx. They just don't like NASA because they're frivolous as fuck and ruin the public perception of space colonization.

NASA MIGHT be the ones to tell the government a collision is imminent, but it is the military that would take care off the problem.

Unless if it's xenophobic? It's only a problem if it's based on science

>NASA IS RELEVANT
>/pol BTFO

Goddamn mods, fuck the cunt that said no more Space Elevator threads. You're directly responsible for newfags like this you know.

Anti-NASA? Where the fuck are you getting that from?

I want to literally SUFFOCATE them with money.

And make SETI and official branch again.

yeah, funding white scientists at nasa has been something I've seen supported at pol like forever

hewCREW btfo

considering the earth is flat and space is just a meme, I'd say NASA is definitely non essential

>radical Islam is not a problem your odds of being killed by a terrorist are 1/3,000,000
>asteroids are a problem though your odds of being killed by one are 1/6,000,000,000,000
Liberal logic everyone

NASA also said that none of those could impact earth.

This image always made me feel like it would just be futile to try and stop the end. If it's truly this likely, why not just let it kill us?

I hope a big one comes soon.

I am a strong supporter of the exploration of space (less of a NASA supporter as they move further into the thickets of bureaucratic inertia.)

The image is interesting, but it raises the question "What the fuck do you think NASA an do if one of those babies is discovered to be about to smack us across "KT2, extinction boogaloo?" NASA can't put a man into LEO at the moment, not or they likely to be able to until well into the 2020s.

If Pres.Trump wants to make America great again, he ought to look at making NASA great again.

A disease that afflicts my roses.

But Gingrich was the Moon Man

NASA does not have any gravity tractors, nor any nuclear bombs, nor the capability to send either to an incoming asteroid or comet in a short time frame.

I never liked the idea of nuking them anyway -- you get shot by a shotgun at close range instead of a rifle, and now the shot is radioactive.

At least NASA is friendlier to Muslims now.

I wish Trump had picked Mr. Newt for VP, or Chief of Staff.

?
>explosion most of the debry splits apart and barely misses the earth
>rest that fall have a high chance of burning up in atmosphere
also >nukes radioactive for more then a week

But what about them sassy black women that did the real work?

i guess it's good to track those asteroids.

if there was actually one with a high chance of hitting us i doubt it would be hard to mobilise resources

that being said we can already predict the movement of all those things that potentially might hit us in the near future and so far there's no threat

There is a key difference, though.

A KT Level asteroid impact, however unlikely, kills everybody. Terrorists have a more modest impact when the DO strike.

I don't buy the maths on any of these methods given that several times over the past years NASA hasn't seen a dangerously close asteroid until it had already gone past us, never mind catching sight of it years beforehand to prepare.
Truly dangerous asteroids are on the order of kilometres across as well (the Chicxulub asteroid was about 10km across), even a predominantly chondrite asteroid would have a mass of around 250,000 metric tons at a radius of 1km. Chicxulub probably weighed in at about 6 million tons, it could have even weighed up to double that amount if it was predominantly iron-nickel.
Then consider these things are going at thousands of miles per hour relative to Earth, you'd never be able to put the delta-v on anything we could launch towards it to land or orbit it either.

Is it possible to build a space elevator today?

Yes:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qezLhypA0Y

The key idea is the Orbital Ring version of the space elevator, not the geosynchronous tether concept you are familiar with.

See, for example, Paul Birch's writings:

orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-I.pdf

The orbital ring only requires tethers about 300 kilometers long which is technically feasible with common material like steel, but ridiculously straightforward with better and already available material like kevlar.

Nasa is beyond non-essential, the ultimate psy-op.

There are some important questions. First, how much would it cost to do something like this?

We need to send about 160 million kilograms of material into space (See Birch's boot strap estimates in part 2: orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-II.pdf)

We have rockets available at $2000/kg costs to LEO today in "mass production" mode, which is only about 10-20 launches per year. Compared with the couple thousand launches necessary for a space elevator, $2000 is an unreasonably high upper bound for launch costs.

We also need to include the cost of materials. A space elevator is about 98% steel and aluminum, 1% kevlar, and 1% other such as superconducting magnets. Most of the mass (98%) cost around $1/kg, with an average cost per kilogram of no more than about $10 per kilogram.

Summing the above up, we get about $430 billion in launch costs plus another $1-2 billion in material costs.

In other words, we can have a space elevator for less than $450 billion - significantly less than one year worth of DoD spending, one bank bailout, many times less than a variety of pointless wars, etc. This is well within our reach financially in other words.

What do we get in return for this $450 billion investment?

Virtually unlimited value. For example, with a space elevator we can reliably launch our nuclear waste into the sun. We've spent $100 billion building a waste repository in Nevada, but it was ultimately decided not to even use it. Now it costs only a dollar or two per kilogram to get rid of all of the nuclear waste in the world.

Second, we have immediate access to viable asteroid mining industry. Because the cost of delivering payloads to LEO drops to about $1/kilogram, we can not retrieve asteroids with trillions of dollars worth of minerals for mere tens millions of dollars in addition to having an easy viable way of returning those resources back to the surface.

We acquire the ability to deploy profitable solar power in orbit above cloud cover and with the ability to return said power back to the surface with near zero loss by running power transmission cables down the elevator.

Just how profitable?

With increased luminosity in space, enhanced exposure time, and the ability to deliver base loads, solar panels pay for themselves in only 1-2 years while having a 20 year life time.

In other words, if you put $5 trillion of solar panels into space, you get your $5 trillion back by the end of year two and a $5 trillion income stream each year thereafter.

In other words, the US could cut everyone's taxes, both personal and business, income, capital, death, or otherwise, all to 0%, not even cut any benefits or current spending, and pay off the national debt within a decade.

It should already be obvious that the entirety of the political debate spectrum is cointelpro.

Are taxes too high or too low? Irrelevant, we don't actually need taxes.

Is social spending bankrupting us? Irrelevant, we can retire the national debt without cutting spending all while having no tax whatsoever.

What does this have to do with taking the red pill?

We've had the technological ability to undertake such a project for decades.

That means all the squabbling you have heard your entire life, money, debt, spending, taxes, scarcity, whatever, is all bullshit. Not only is it bullshit, anyone with rudimentary knowledge of the world has known that it is all bullshit for all of this time.

In other words, once you come to understand the such a project is and has been technically feasible for decades, you have to reevaluate many things.

Why is there nothing of this in the conspiracy media? They are not really trying to expose or solve any problems. One hundred percent of it is cointelpro. From the Young Turks to Infowars or whatever, they are all completely full of shit because solutions to our problems not only exist, are easy to carry out, but this has been the case for a very long time.

Similarly, you now know that 20%+ annual GDP growth is possible. If Trump gives you 3-4% instead of Obama's 2%, he is simply working with the establishment to try to placate and subvert a rising tide. If we see the easily achievable 20%+ growth rates, it is at least possible that he isn't a subversive. Anything less and you know he is a fraud.

Man, space elevator threads were the shit. Why did they stop?

To frame the discussion of Trump properly, we shouldn't be interested so much in his merits relative to other presidents but rather relative to what is straightforwardly possible.

The US government has the capacity to do the following:

Year 1-2: build space elevator
Year 3:

(1) deploy enough solar panels to produce $20 trillion worth of power per year
(2) retrieve several asteroids with tens of trillions of minerals

Year 4:

Pay off solar panel purchase, space elevator purchase, and now have $20T income stream from power generation alone

With funds from selling asteroid mineral wealth, begin paying for the terraforming of Mars

Year 5:

(1) With new $20T income stream, taxes are cut to 0% across the board, national debt is paid off
(2) Orbital rings are deployed on Moon and Mars, the beginning of terraforming process on Mars

Year 6:

(1) having paid the national debt off with power generation income stream, government can now afford to issue $25,000 checks to each American every year while maintaining current spending and spending an additional $25,000 per person on infrastructure
(2) A vast array of projects on Earth are initiated including NAWAPA while the orbital ring system is expanded to a global hyperloop transportation grid

>if your taxes are over 0%, you are being scammed by controlled opposition and politicians that hate america

Incorrect.

Obama made NASA's #1 mission to be Muslim Outreach. That's NASA's #1 mission: Making muslims feel good about themselves.

#2 mission: Proving humans cause global warming.

#3 mission: putting black lesbians into orbit. (improving the diversity of actual space travelers)

#4 mission: transferring all American tech to China and Iran.

You can go check it, but its all true. He shifted all their normal roles down or eliminated them completely.

Been waiting to see what Trump will do with them.

>gravity tractors
We can't send anything up large enough the have a gravitational effect.
>nuke it
Depends how large it is and how early its hit but it is the only viable option.
>laser
You are an idiot. No water has ever been recovered from an asteroid and no laser is strong enough to blow an asteroid away like a solar sail. We couldn't even hold a laser steady on a point over such distances.

>>explosion most of the debry splits apart and barely misses the earth

Depends on how far out it is when you smack it, and how much deltaV you put on them. Recall that was talking about using nukes repeatedly if time was short.

>>rest that fall have a high chance of burning up in atmosphere
The kinetic energy dumpoed into the atmosphere does nto change -- you'd get to skip the tidal wave, I guess. And, of course, that depends on how small a chunk you get. What happens if Nuke 1 splits it into three large parts that drift away from each other slowly? We don't know what would happen when nuking an asteroid, never had a chance to try it out.

>also >nukes radioactive for more then a week
That was largely added in jest -- adding another couple of nukes worth of radioactivity to the situation is not going to be meaningful.

If you have no understanding of it why do you feel the need to comment on it?

>falling for the space jew.

wtf can we do if an asteroid hits earth? no point planning for these things

Bush 43 tasked NASA with locating all earth crossing asteroids, researching and testing technologies and techniques for altering asteroid orbits.

It was a low priority mission.

>tfw Jewpiter is keeping us clear of astreoids
Still thinking that Jews are bad, Sup Forums?

Trump defunding NASA might be the only thing that would make me turn against him

>yes, i'd rather not have publicly funded fearmongering
But I bet you support public schools...

you mean making coffee and blowjobs?

A

>For example, with a space elevator we can reliably launch our nuclear waste into the sun

We can safely handle nuclear waste now -- the difficulties in doing so do not come from technological issues, but political issues involving NIMBY crap and protesters that do not want you to move it my truck/train for fear of spills. I am not sure they will magically let you move it greater distances by ship to get to a Space Elevator terminus, and if you recall how cangst there has been over some tiny amounts of radioactive fuel on a few space probes, I would suspect the tree-huggers will go apeshit over lifting tons of it over our heads by an elevator.

Also, tossing radioactive material away into the sun is retarded. It is dangerous because it emits particles/energy -- another word for that is "fuel." Plus if you DO decide to just toss it, the already-radioactive mantel of the Earth is much closer than the sun.

And Bush 41 promised we were going back to Mars and men would walk on Mars and maybe even an eventual Mars colony.

Congress told Bush 41 the same thing it told Bush 43 --- go fuck off, they aren't going to authorize moneys for those efforts.

President can declare anything he wants as NASA goals, but if Congress doesn't authorize the money, then nothing changes. It usually takes blowing up a rocket with astronauts on it for Congress to decide to actually fund something new.

We are going to build a elevator in year 1 or 2, when at present we cannot put a man into LEO?

But if he can convince the Congress to gib moni then the golden age begins.

this is one of those times im glad Trump has the nuclear codes

OK, use phasers instead.

Not a rebuttal.

The vast, vast, VAST majority of extra-terrastrial objects that can pose a threat to earth are in fact discovered AND monitored by amateur astronomers.

Also no idea why the fuck this should btfo Sup Forums.

But you are more likely to get a small hit event, and not an extinction event.

People have been literally struck by meteroites and lived, so its all about the particulars of the event that determine if it is dangerous or not.

Judging by that chart, Jupiter is doing a crappy job.

ITT fearmongering

We should not fear asteroids of peace

>It usually takes blowing up a rocket with astronauts on it for Congress to decide to actually fund something new.

But that didn't happen, and never has. We blew up two of them, and we have nothing new.

If they could actually track the asteroids. One nearly hit earth 2 weeks ago.

Besides, space exploration is still necessary. Especially mining said asteroids when the tracking is better.

Of course. But there is, as you point out, little nee dto worry about the little ones that do little or (almost always) no damage. Only the big ones that kill lost of people are worth worrying about. I don't see any real need to have NASA deflect any meteoroid that might bounce off somebody's roof and kill the dog.

But there are some dinosaur killers out there (more likely comets than asteroids.) Odds arer we'll all die of old age, as will our great great great great great grandchildren, without one of those coming along.

But I think we'd regret not taking out a small insurance policy if, one morning, we wake up with one of them bastards aimed down our throats.

>If they could actually track the asteroids. One nearly hit earth 2 weeks ago.

They do track them -- that's how, for example, you know about the one that flew by recently, and the others that fly by from time to time.

Also, stop calling them Black Holes, they are Holes of Color.

Telling you to stop being a faggot is not an argument either, but it is still valid.

Count to 65,000,000.

The real danger is nuclear war and super volcanoes. Things that statically more likely is your lonely lifetime.

When the fuck has Sup Forums ever said NASA is non-essential?

Obama was the one who defunded it.

>NASA is responsible for planetary defense and asteroid eradication and not launching countless probes into space

You could always shatter an asteroid like that using shit we did in early nuclear tests.

Literal earth cannons

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plumbbob

There is a way to caculate this so saud object doesnt burn up before it exits the atmosphere at 150,000 mph

As well as the remaining masses kN to said object.

I thought JPL did that? Also, so what? What if we find out one is going to hit? There's not really anything we can do about it yet.

What about something like Stonehenge from Ace Combat?
A battery of massive combined gunpowder-electromagnetic cannons fire a projectile at over 6 km/s.
Nigga JPL is part of NASA.

Because OBAMA cancelled the Bush space program. Then Obama scratched out Bush's name, put his own on it, and then said, "Behold! My space program. Get on it.".

Seriously, Obama's plan is the same as the Bush plan. The only thing different between the two was that Obama canceled the NASA rocket, as Bush's plan called for NASA to have its own rocket, and also to use commercial space enterprise efforts (like SpaceX). At the time that the Bush program was created, it was not known if the commercial space enterprises would ever make it to actually providing launch services. When Obama changed the name on the program, it was known SpaceX could get the job done, so Obama's people canceled the NASA rocket entirely. But Congress added the NASA rocket back to the plan.

Obama's people had to go out and try to emphasize different parts of the program, despite it being identical to Bush's, so people wouldn't realize that Obama just fired 2 million people and set back the space program by 6 years just so he could get his name in place of Bush's on the space program.

That sucked. I got laid off because of it. I really enjoyed my 17 years out at NASA. (I was just an IT guy, writing code for the institutional side of the house--- that's the dirt poor side running on the oldest hardware around worried about HR and emails, not the fun side with writing code for test stands or orbital equipment.)

>Been waiting to see what Trump will do with them.

Probably nothing. Other than one speech made to some space industry employees, his attitude has been "Space is fine but we need to spend money on bridges and roads and stuff."

Lots of pro-space sites are assuming the speech to the employees are his true feelings, but I'm not sure there is any reason to assume that.

Nigga, Trump supports NASA. It's one of the reasons I voted for him.

Who called NASA "non-essential"?

Are you serious? Why would they ban Space Elevator threads? Those had some nice conversations, particularly about the knock off effects of plentiful energy and excessive resources.

Destroy it before it hits earth

All true enough -- still, the idea that "rocket blows up, congress responds by massive funding increase" is not based on reality.

Sorry you got laid off, hope you are doing OK now.

Destroying it is much harder than just nudging it into a slightly different orbit that misses us.

Not as satisfying for the climax of a movie, though.

NASA has just become another government money pit. They went political to insure they get their funding. They are now a fear mongering arm of the DNC with their climate change shit.

Given enough time, we could get something to orbit it and even land on it. That's the trick--- having a large enough time frame to detect something needs to be done about it, so we can get started.

If it actually ever came down to it, I am sure Russia would do more to thwart the asteroids than NASA ever could. Even China or Japan would probably be of more help.

Nobody. Also, what is NASA gonna do about an asteroid heading for the Earth?

I have NEVER thought that NASA is non-essential, you faggot. Humanity's destiny is to expand out into the stars. Also, the asteroids in the Asteroid Belt are spread out over a volume of space that is larger than Earth's entire orbital disc. Stop spreading fear-porn.

President Trump will bring back manned American spacecraft.

ok Nasa, how do we stop the death asteroid if it's gonna hit us?

No a projectile large enough to do damage would instantly heat the atmosphere around it through friction.
Take the railgun as an example but scale it up to an appropriate size to actually smack an asteroid.
We could however build a planetary defence shield on the moon but it would only become feasible with a space elevator or ring.
youtube.com/watch?v=eObepuHvYAw

Also, Bill Clinton cancelled the space shuttle replacement that got okayed after the first shuttle blew up on launch with the teacher on it. Bill then put a new replacement in place, one by a company that contributed large amounts to the Clinton Presidential Library. Only a year or two later, Bill canceled his own replacement for another project, whose parent company had made even larger contributions to the Clinton Presidential Library.

Bush 43 then cancelled Clinton's shuttle replacement, because the program was vaporware. Then Colombia happened, and I've already posted about all of those following events.

Did you not see the documentary Armageddon faggot? Bruce Willis gonna fly up with a super gravity belt and blow em up.