Wait a fucking moment, in 1950s there was nuclear propulsion project called Project Orion...

Wait a fucking moment, in 1950s there was nuclear propulsion project called Project Orion, a space rocket powered with several nuke explosions.
In wikipedia the speed of this rocket is 1000 km/s (0.33% of the speed of light)
Proxima centauri, the nearest star is only 4.4 light years
So with a nuclear rocket, it would only take 14 years to get there.
We've had nukes since 1945, this project is from 1950
We went to the moon in 1969, we are now in 2017 and we only have an rc car on Mars
WTF happen?
And don't tell me it's dangerous to send rocket nukes in space because "what if they explode on the atmosphere"
More than 2000 nuclear bombs have exploded on earth already.

Other urls found in this thread:

ancient-code.com/the-mysterious-monolith-on-phobos-who-put-it-there/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That seems a little unwise desu with all the space accidents we had it could easily detonate during liftoff

Space is too expensive for the return earnings

Pic related, Stanford Torus aka the thing that gives us a chance if cosmic phenomena wrecks earth

There's an international treaty to not detonate nukes in space. I know fuck me right.

nigga two nuclear bombs drop in a spanish beach and nothing happened
nukes don't detonate with a hit
and as I told you, 2000 nukes were tested already, what's the big deal if some guayana gets nuked anyway
there's nothing there
we are talking about saving humanity

Liberals decided to subsidize black people instead.

What if the nuclear part was assembled and launched 1 million miles from earth via robots.

Also check out the original project from the UK Interplanetary Society.

It doesn't matter what we know, sempai. I only matters what the mainstream public believe. And they believe that if a space craft powered by radioactives (in an RNG) blows up on launch, everyone on the planet gets massive cancer in short order. So there's no way any democratic country could launch Orion these days. North Korea could, because its leader so doesn't give a shit he could just decide "lets do this", but that's about it. Iran maybe could do it as well.

I bet all nuclear countries would be for it if they had their part in it

you really think we didnt go there and not tell you? nawwwwwww... cough billions lost in 911 coverup.

but look at hiroshima and nagasaki, they are fine cities now, and hundreds of islands in the french polynesia blew up and no one cared

so trump has a palace on mars and is just taking the piss of us so blacks don't go there and demand public housing or what?

nobody mentioned that it would be a one-way suicide mission that would accomplish nothing except looking closer at another star.

You get on that rocket, you will never see anyone on earth you know ever again. Even if you make a round trip, centuries will have passed on earth. Not to mention the cost to benefit is abysmal, assuming you could even solve the engineering problems.

NASA already did it. They're just not telling you.

would you travel for 14 years in deep space with a nuclear reactor sticked to your ass?

I'm pretty depressed about space travel desu, all other rockets seem so inefficient that Project Orion may be the only way go, but people are too pussies to do it. Or maybe it's just a meme project that can never be used to transport anything fragile like people.

>WTF happen?

You do realize that the people who pushed that idea believed that there's air in the space to propagate the shock waves? Nobody knew how little matter there's in space back then.

>would you travel for 14 years in deep space with a nuclear reactor sticked to your ass?

funny, that's how your mom described last night

Lmao rekt

plenty of people would volunteer
just some videogames there on the rocket and some loli and I would

Sure. Kids five hundred years from now will be learning your name in elementary school. You'd be bigger than Magellan and Columbus.

Project Orion was insane. Literally dropping small nukes out of your arse so that the force of the detonation propels you forwards.

The speed of light is ~300000km/s.
It's only 0.003% the speed of light, you fucking idiot.

that's not how it works

why is that insane?
look at zepellins, look at planes, now that's insane too

>finally finish astronaut training
>get briefed on the first manned mission out of the solar system
>you'll fly aboard the prototype Orion rocket
>the day finally arrives when you step aboard and prepare for launch
>mission control casually tells you the ship is actually propelled by nuclear bombs
>launch
>explode entire continent
normies btfo

>A chance at seeing life extension technology developed during your trip
>A chance at seeing ??? technology developed during your trip

There are many competent people who would sign up for a round trip, as unlikely as one of those would be
I don't think it's going fast enough though

You're both idiots.
Of course it is ~0,33%, but it would still take about 1320 years.

mmm... jeez
right
it's not 0'003 though it's 0'33

>1320 years
then we will never get out of this
it's impossible then
fucking impossible
if the nearest star is 1320 years away with a nuke rocket then nothing can be done
we'll die here on this planet

none of those inherently require you to pilot your vessel in direct proximity to repeated nuclear explosions.

I'll tell you why. The space program was meant to secretly develop intercontinental ballistic missiles. There was no real space race, just the US and USSR competing to build missiles to blow each other up. Once the USSR collapsed, our government has little interest in space activities.

>lets get on a nuclear pogo stick to a new galaxy we know nothing about

Monoliths on the moon of Mars, just look it up and go from there senpai
ancient-code.com/the-mysterious-monolith-on-phobos-who-put-it-there/

if I die, a nuke would be the best way

this

>to a new galaxy

yeah, that's a bit ambitious

it's the same galaxy dummy, the nearest star
that's why it's called proxima

have you seen how hard it is to get a nuclear power plant built in the US. The general puplic has an irrational fear of nuclear power and it is a fucking shame because nuclear power along with other renewables could get uss off this fossil fuel ride.

> x 100

>What is a percentage.

That bitch does not look hungry

>travel to nearest star
>nothing fucking there
>no infrastructure on potential habitable olanets
>cant land
>fuck
>waste 28 years going there and back, may as well be in prison accomplishing nothing
>come back
>28 years have passed
>USA is liberal commie shithole
>land
>hope out of rocket
>glowing and full of tumors from radiation from stupid nuclear bomb rocket
>get beat up and pepper sprayed by antifa because youre a white astronaught

Not really any more dangerous or crazy than current chemical based rockets.

>4.4 ly/(.0033c)
>42048888888 s
>1333 years

What are you on about, OP?

Pretty sure that feeding her would be more expensive seen how she's fat

i'm bad at maths

They did not like the idea of a nuke being launched towards their homeplanet

Don't worry, once humans evolve to a point beyond our current understanding, age will change as will our own concepts of time and speed.

We are in an intellectual slump right now, it started in around 2007. I wish I could say 2008 when a nigger got elected, but it was just a year before.

Wait for the next human renaissance, user. It's within our lifetime.

It'll probably be done in 2069.

Sorry, I just read the thread. I didn't mean to rub it in further.

>In wikipedia

into

the

trash

it

goes

never change, Sup Forums

Or, you know, we discover a way to go faster than light.

Their home planet was eaten by a black hole.

how bluepilled do you have to be to still believe space is real?

Freeman Dyson was the one behind project orion (also a climate change skeptic). Tested using a scale model - but was intended to be like a city block wide when built.

Kelly Johnson (Lockheed Skunkworks CEO) said that we have the tech to travel to the stars - but it's locked up in black budgets. And 30 years later, Lockheed is still building cool shit and it's still mostly classified. Almost half of all launches in that time period have been for the US DoD/NRO ...

tfw I'll never know wtf the x37b is *really* for...

Cant we just assemble the rockets in space?

>Space is too expensive for the return earnings
Space colonies are their own reason. You should not expect space colonies to benefit Earth in any way until asteroid mining becomes huge

There are good documentaries on Youtube with interviews of Freeman Dyson. All your answers are there.

like what?

perdonado

>Cant we just assemble the rockets in space?

either that or use self-replicating machines. we are almost there with 3d printers which can literally make functional copies of themselves.

Humans are not space proof.
Without artificial 1g gravity and heavy shielding it may as well take 3 years you woud still develop a wide range of body degeneration.

Think of the pollution we'd all die! It's nukes!

>0.33% of speed of light
>aka a light year would take 300~ years
>300 x 4.4 = 1320 years

Although I'm pretty sure the rocket was supposed to go way faster (10% of the speed of light)

Exactly

Even at 10% light seed it's going to take you over 40 years to reach the nearest start, assuming there is anything there worth the trip.

any size is beautiful shitlord

>WTF happen?
Earth is flat.

Proof

Project Orion worked in theory, but the engineering challenges in making a full scale ship of it's type are insanely impractical.

Here's another impractical spacecraft design.

Colonies yes, mining no.

If we go to space to mine, even if it's just capturing asteroids into orbit around the Moon or Earth, the amount of materials we could get would be astronomical (no pun intended)

There are asteroids with billions of dollars of minerals inside of them in the solar system, if the cost to get up there and send materials back down is low enough, mining asteroids can return huge profits.

You want to save humanity...by sacrificing other humans? Yea, no. How about you sacrifice yourself on a plate for some backwaters amazon tribe and slip your throat wide open fag

Shhh...goy. No such thing as "black projects" (gay heh). And if there is one it's at least 50-60 years behind mainstream tech. Truth.

Fuck that. If they had done the ITR plan, replaced and double, the USA would be drowning in electricity.

It would have worked you dim cunt

Orion aside, not using NTR rockets, uh, Nuclear Thermal Rockets, is a sin.

In the 1950's people also though we would have nuclear powered vacuum cleaners.

"Nuclear" was the biggest meme in those days.

>There are asteroids with billions of dollars
Trillions.

Its about your bones breaking like dry bread when meeting with the next gravity well.

Who the fuck are these guys? Can someone give me a speedy summary?

Dark speed.

Black travels faster than light. That's ehy it is aleays there.

Technically if you get your power from a nuclear plant your vacuum cleaner is nuclear powered.
Meme magic existed back then too.

you got your shit all wrong.
we're gonna send a thin light weight laser sail that travels at about 12% the speed of light in the near future. that's gonna take some 30 years to get there plus 4 more for the signal to travel back, just to give you an idea

So they explain astrophysics to 10 year olds?

Shit like this is exactly why I have an existential crisis.
>you can find the fastest rocket on this planet and it would still take more than human life time to reach even the nearest star which is 4.4 light years away
>our galaxy alone is 100,000 light years wide
>has around 200 billion stars
>there are also hundreds of billions of galaxies
>possibly multiple universes as well
>mfw someone tells me to ''get a job''

people die every hour for nothing

>"Nuclear" was the biggest meme in those days.

they also believed that nuclear power would be "too cheap to meter".

I hope you'll become one of them soon.

SPACE ELEVATOR

Can we make zeppelins a thing again? Scared of flying on jet aircraft

lol I feel the same
every night
ever since my cousin died and I read we'd all be african in 2200 I thought WTF is the meaning of all this
I still want to make a family but still
there's really no point

What if that sacrifice saved humanity ? Would you want to doom humanity ?

eventually you and me will

Quick I need a rundown on these guys

Its possible.

Rocket propulsion is obsolete technology, kept around for public consumption. When the US military wants to get into space, it does so quickly, quietly and without massive explosions. It only takes a few seconds to get into orbit.

Source: stargazing late at night near Travis AFB.