I am an idiot who picked a worthless college major

and I stuck it out, because I was so close to finishing I thought it'd be stupid to quit. Now I'm basically a neet with a job that doesn't even need a high school degree.

So my question is what trade jobs can people like me pick up easily to make a decent living?

and should I try to work for myself or for a Union?

Good luck getting into a union in some states.

hey guys im 34 and thinking of going back to college, what should I major in?

What major?

The engineering meme.

Chemical or electrical engineering

I'm in a similar situation as you OP, except instead of college I spent 5 years in a career I realized I didn't want.

I'm going to go to school for welding in the fall. From what I've seen welders are always in demand and they make good money. One guy told me he gets a job offer every other week because welders are in just that high of demand.

Plumbing.

Roofing, painting, requires little to no training pay is good, far better than min wage

It's a rough job and takes real skill to make decent money.

Something to do with pipelines or oil.

Hvac is goat trade. Elec is ok. Plumbing is shit. Welding can pay but work is shit.

Maybe Trucking? Might get replaced in the near-ish future with autonomous trucks though.

That depends on how long you expect to stay there and what degree you're grabbing. From what I can tell, any STEM PhD is good, most Masters are good (I'd suggest engineering or chem), although for example a BSc in Biology won't get you very far.

Nice sunk cost bias you retard.

You need to make sure you don't expect much from life because you aren't going to get much

I'd pick up pipe fitting or welding. but I'm an absolute retard when it comes to math

how would you rank instrumentation?

Join the fucking army/navy/Airforce

Get a good asvab and pick data analysis or something related to computer technician/cyber security/information systems support.

Design

You have to be highly math skilled, analytical/technical, with a relatively excellent memory to be an engineer or anything of that capacity of learning

what kind of places does he work and how old is he?

If you're 34 and still posting on Sup Forums and seriously asking strangers on a notorious subforum on a notorious website for actual job advice, I wouldn't bother with college.

I actually have experience painting walls for a summer. It was fun, and I learned some stuff

Fuck off ctr

good luck in the military my friend! It's the best place to go now there is finally a leader you can look fight for!

whos the pretty blue eyed demon?

>Biology major with Chemistry minor
>Want to go to Med School
>Constantly accused of only doing it for the money
>Do not ever go out, spend all night and weekend studying my ass off
>People act like I'm some kind of fucking wizard because I have a 3.8 GPA

It's called actually studying the material outside of class and not drinking all the fucking time

God damn I hate college students

I always heard plumbing was decent for the pay

4 years and a 4.0 GPA in (((Political Science))) got me nowhere, but several months of self taught programming got me into paid work. 2 years later I've got a low stress salaried gig, 70k 40 hours a week in medium cost of living city.

I'd do that, military or HVAC. It all depends on certain variables like risk aversion, student loans, readiness to relocate etc.

she has nigger admixture for sure. look at that nose/lips combo
>56%

I love a white woman with full featured lips.

"white" isn't even an option on a lot of state/gov't stuff these days, just "caucasian/latino" lumped into one category now
>tfw 100% european with noble bloodline

that and contract work beats a 9 to 5

It pays about as much as electricians. The real money in trades is when you start specializing in something.
The plumbers working on oil/gas rigs get insane money.

you might as well be 94 mother fucker. kys

haha cunt i bet you didn't pick journalism faggot hahahahahahahha

What is Sup Forums's obsession with labor work? I'm surprised more people don't exceed to enter politics and unfuck this shit up. Or law enforcement.

You ever thought about driving a cab?

Navy seals make 50k

Not really. I know some idiot engineerers

Maybe security work...like Blackwater stuff.

Most users here would rather be producers than welfare leeches.

Don't go to college. Learn a skilled trade. Most college fields are full due to decades of too many people entering said fields, as well as H1Bs dominating the engineering field and nepotism dominating the business field. Go be an electrician, plumber, etc, as they are jobs that white people refuse to do for some reason, and are jobs that spics, nigs, and foreigners are too dumb to do.

Another self-taught programming faggot here. Good to see this, and congrats. Trying to make a similar move here within the next couple of months myself. Been studying a little over a year, on and off, while working another job.

How's machining? I mainly fabricate and do FCAW, but I want something easier on the body.

I'm boycotting Uber. But in all seriousness, I like driving I just don't have the money saved for a newer car to drive people in

What kind of programming language did you learn?

Commercial Electrician is fun.

It's harder work than other trades that pay similar like hvac or plumbing but it has a lot more variety so you won't get bored out of your skull after 10 years.

Insurance is where you want to be. Women accepted and loads of upward mobility.

that isn't OP

Just join Antifa and do heroin every day.

Industrial maintenance tech is ok. Pay is pretty middle class and the amount of work we have is crazy. $30/hr may not seem like much but when you do a road trip and work double overtime for 3 weeks straight it really adds up. If you have a knack for electrical you can really carve out a niche.

And your get to work on machines that replace dirty mexicans. Its pretty much the real front line of the mexican war. I rid factories of 20-30 illegals with each line I install. And we are averaging 2-3 every month. All in all, I estimate I've put around 5000 dirty beaners out on the street. God I love to see the look on their faces as I roll in with that brand new shiny machine. Its so satisfying I'd do this job for free if I could. Its the most Sup Forums job of all time.

I could sell them heroin

White men are the niggers of the world.

>pure autism

What major? Just out of curiosity

This is what I need to be doing. How much training did you need for that?

waifu, have my children; serve your lord.

[email protected]

Design. I learned how to make shitty websites and use Adobe

Do wastewater treatment.

that isn't useless

You are hired. $100/hour cum guzzler

It's absolutely fucking terrifying and I won't pretend I didn't get really lucky. There's no silver bullet, but I hope you're topics of study are guided by what people are hiring. Computer science snobs can fuck off, web development is everywhere and it's arguably the easiest segment of the industry to get into.
Starting out without any structure or guidance I just did everything I could on codecademy.com when it had less courses a few years ago. Then I learned Ruby on Rails, got an internship in NodeJS which I learned at the job, and then an internship-to-hire in C# / .NET that I learned at the job.

As you can see in my case, you're overwhelmed by options that don't necessarily reflect when or how you'll get hired, so you have to convey that you can quickly learn how to apply fundamental concepts to a specific technology whether or not you know that technology right now.

learn to code dumbass

>From what I can tell, any STEM PhD

No....

-made a restaurant. Chinese mexican whatever.
-sale organic food
-a private school or kinder garden
-import things from china
-made a tourist business

engineering is a good choice.

What major?

Try murder. We're gonna need a lot of cannon fodder in the decades to come.

Almost done becoming diesel mechanic. Trucking industry is one of the fastest growing and most efficient industries in the country, even with automation coming soon.
>mfw picked a career that evolves with the times.

It's better than psychology sure, but still there's not a lot of companies hiring when you can get contractors to do it for pennies.

I went back for nursing. It's not that bad.

Go eat some snails Pierre.

kek

I already know html and JavaScript. l33t hacker level. it doesn't get you much desu

Not much honestly. Good companies want experience over school. School is great for theory and all and I would suggest doing an electrical program. But everyone knows the real learning starts when you are getting your ass handed to you by some problem. Having a job for a certain amount of time lets employers know you can stick it out and hack it. Entry level jobs are like a fucking turnstile of retards that took some program at a CC and then get onto the floor and just suck ass. Its not a field for college boys that are afraid to get dirty. Experience > school all day in this field.

They have industrial maintenance programs but like I said, they just want badass mechanics who are smart and capable. Any mechanical or electrical field transfers well into it. The rest is all luck of getting the job and then not fucking it up once you have it.

>pierced nipples

and into the trash it goes

What are the contraindications for albuterol?

Is the field oversaturated or are people just not hiring? IIRC there's some pretty big GD firms but that was back when my art (((teacher))) was trying to send everyone to art (((school)))

who's the hot chick at Hiwinata Virus?

I've been learning Web dev, funny enough. I'm very, very comfortable with front end, but I'd like to at least have a competent understanding of backend before I start applying. From what I understand, full stack makes you much more desirable. Any opinions on that? I know Python, but it still seems like PHP is the backend standard for most of these positions now? I'm also planning on learning backend frameworks like Nodejs.

Think this is a pretty reasonable way to go about it? I've been praying (lulz) my time spent won't ultimately equate to nothing, since this is sort of my ace in the hole in terms of having any sort of career and future.

If not, I'm just enlisting in Trump's SS.

Appreciate the info, user.

I think I love this girl. she is so beautiful.

Oh good, a uni/career thread.

Maybe somebody can make me feel better.

What did you study, OP?

Pay attention:

don't think you can do much with only those two. need some php or server side stuff too.

need SOURCE ON THIS GIRL.

Electrical Engineering
But there is a lot of pain and suffering to get it

>yeah bro, just read all 90 posts. Don't bother asking
How is that meme-tier?
Make room cunt, I'm a linguistics major

what would you suggest someone start with?

>16 years old and already has BOTH nipples pierced

fucking god damn girl

i majored in math, no job. stem doesnt even matter

>only piercing one nipple at a time

If you're gonna advertise you have daddy issues, you may as well go the whole 9 yards

What is 'very very comfortable' in the front end? If I gave you the docs for the company's API would you be able to consume it and produce an extensible client-side app in React or Angular, including user authentication?

Out of laziness or cost savings a lot of companies merge front-end engineer and designer into the same position, which is bullshit because I don't know Photoshop and I'm not interested. So you should seek out full-stack jobs because of the higher pay and appropriate skill scope.

While the front-end tooling changes by the month, it's all fundamentally JavaScript so at least you have a consistent point of study. Trying to guess a time investment in server-side language proficiency is a fucking nightmare because it varies so much on a per-business basis. PHP is dogshit but these companies need someone to babysit their dying old applications. Which is what is happening to Rails, what will happen to Node, and so on to the next language. Python is sexy in Silicon Valley because of data science libraries, but again everything is a trend.

Based solely on market share I'd tell you to get really fucking good at Java and have the basics of a scripting language like Python or Node in the pocket so that you could have a reasonable, non-technical conversation about how to port the skills you know in language X to language Y. Flexibility is key here because you're never going to be 100% of the candidate they need - the mix of tooling is unique to each business.