Redpill me on automation

Are we all fucked within the next 10-20 years? What occupations have the most time before they too are susceptible to automation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=giS41utjlbU
nydailynews.com/news/world/ibm-watson-proper-diagnosis-doctors-stumped-article-1.2741857
theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/japanese-company-replaces-office-workers-artificial-intelligence-ai-fukoku-mutual-life-insurance
youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng
automatedinsights.com/ap
wired.com/2015/10/this-news-writing-bot-is-now-free-for-everyone/
youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
youtube.com/watch?v=-KxjVlaLBmk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Robots are the true master race. They will spread throughout the galaxy. We will remain here being a bunch of degenerates.

even prostitution will be obsoleted by sex robots

It's difficult to say exactly how fast or what the impact automation will have on society, but Silicon Valley billionaires are already getting prepared for the social upheaval that it is going to create. The solution is actually very simple, those in countries where automation takes place need to relinquish the idea that everyone has to work for a living. There are already not enough 'good' jobs for people living in America, what do you think it will be like after 10 or 20 years of automation? No ones job is really safe, even surgeons who go to school for 12+ years of education after highschool will be BTFO by robots. It's more likely that our civilization will just collapse, our world is rapidly running out of resources, and that combined with climate change (inb4 Climate Change is a Jewish conspiracy) will fuck over our world the likes of which hasn't been seen since the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

1. Medical

Doctors won't be made obsolete, but there's a lot of automated diagnosis and surgery shit coming down the pipe. Some people will lose jobs, but not that many - a big reason why healthcare is so expensive is that we actually operate under a scarcity of doctors. Will bring healthcare prices down.

2. Law

A lot of corporate lawyers are fucked. A lot of their jobs are simply advising a corporation on local laws etc. to keep them out of trouble. In the future, instead of a team of lawyers to do that, companies will have one lawyer and an intelligent search system.

3. Delivery

Long before you see self-driving cars being accepted country-wide, you'll see self-driving 18-wheelers. This is one of the largest, most popular, well-paying working class jobs in the country. It will be devastating.

I think draftmanship, designers, concept artists and animators in general will always be around. Anything that requires creativity, I suppose.

> he thinks kikes will allow a significant % of the population to sit around and have enough free time to think and reflect while having access to vast amounts of knowledge in the information age

Probably scientists and engineers, as well.

I'm not so sure of that.

Yeah, I think so too.

>A lot of corporate lawyers are fucked. A lot of their jobs are simply advising a corporation on local laws etc. to keep them out of trouble. In the future, instead of a team of lawyers to do that, companies will have one lawyer and an intelligent search system.
You'll probably have a team of lawyers and a team of programmers working together, instead of just one lawyer. Unless programmers start specializing in other fields and take multiple majors, but I doubt anyone wants to do that shit. I don't think it will get really bad for another 50-100 years, so our kids are going to be the ones suffering if we do nothing about it. They say technology is growing exponentially but I think the last 7 years has proven that wrong. We are coming to a dead end. It could be a limit because capitalism isn't a good enough purpose or it could be a limit to the human mind. We normally don't advance without great geniuses and savants.

>YFW your arts degree actually gets you a job in 40 years

Need another world War to kick the innovative machine on and throw out morals and ethics in science again.

I personally think the threat from automation is overblown. We're just on an upswing of the machine intelligence cycle where things are looking hopeful because we've managed to realize solutions to a handful of problems that had been around for decades and everyone is getting all excited that this is the big one where the floodgates are going to break and we can finally have our utopia built on the backs of robot slaves. I suspect the reality is going to play out very much like it has in the past where in realizing what we do know we come to find out how much more daunting the problem was than it initially looked and human labor in it's infinite simplicity remains competitive.

I'm not saying jobs won't be lost to automation because they will as they have been since the advent of the industrial revolution, what I am saying is that the notion we'll all be unemployed in 50 years because machines can do every single job is highly sensationalized and probably not true.

The world and industry have always moved toward automation

For instance, when the computer came out, it made the typewriter obsolete and many other things BUT jobs still existed, it just meant that new jobs were created

Same goes with cars taking over from horse and buggie

Automation doesn't mean jobs are gone and never added. Just means that newer jobs are added

more manual laborers will be replaced, delivery, food workers, drivers, maids, simple heath care providers/helpers, agriculture...
Physical and repeatable things
Fast food will never be better, and it's only the old stigma that's stopping most companies

>Are we all fucked within the next 10-20 years? W

Yes. Truck drivers will be gone in 3 years. No more welders in 2. All of the faggot Trump factories will be automated..

I agree. None of those awesome sociology experiments would be possible with modern regulations. And our idea of ethical behavior in science is so extreme I don't know how anything gets done anymore.

i doubt security guard cannot all be automated.

But they need to build a guyver suit to protect us guards from violent psychotics.

this fucking thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=giS41utjlbU

>tfw military gets automated
>tfw no backup plan when you literally can't get a job
shits bleak

They keep automating things in my industry and I just get busier.

>because I repair automated systems

So no worries. The only things getting automated are tasks that are either mind-blowingly repetitive and dull or things that humans couldn't do well anyway.

automation is DIFFICULT AS FUCK!

we are decades away from anything coming close to the human touch. when people hear automation i think their thought process is just robots easily making objects or doing tasks and you see hypnotizing videos of factories with robot arms running tasks but what you see is exactly all they can do and they're only mediocre at what they do. it isn't a better or more efficient product than what humans can do; it is only that you remove human or animal need from the picture that gives it value.

all it can do is exactly what it is programmed to do. it can't even fix errors, the way that humans see them, it can only be programmed to acknowledge errors and then be reset to redo the process in the correct way prior to an error happening.

you should definitely learn about it to help send your kids into the future but automation is fucking difficult as shit.

Welders aren't going anywhere. Too many tough and custom jobs that need to be done where robots either can't do the job, or it's not practical to set up a robot for the job.

they are going to have to pay people to do nothing. and I guess that's utopia... machines of loving grace and all
I'm a fan, but I'll have work fixing robots

this is why welfare should be renamed Basic Guaranteed Income, which is given to all people rendered unemployed due to automation.

But first all the elites need to be reprogrammed to subsidize this, one recipient at a time by auction.

Basically the elites think they are buying a slave. In reality, they are paying him a basic guaranteed income.

The money goes in a trust for the recipient.

No, they are more likely to let the plebs starve imo
People are going to attack robots when they're starving on the streets and security and prison guards will see a boom.

>automation is fucking difficult as shit.
IDK, buddy. It's all very logical and precise. Humans fucking suck. Give me a pcl and encoder

nydailynews.com/news/world/ibm-watson-proper-diagnosis-doctors-stumped-article-1.2741857
theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/japanese-company-replaces-office-workers-artificial-intelligence-ai-fukoku-mutual-life-insurance

Thats amazing. Just needs chainsaws for arms and its good to go.

As long as your art degree is not reserved for leftist-tier performances such as opening a can of tuna, screaming and then rub the contents all over your body, I think you'd be pretty good.

Unless, for some crazy reason people are willing to pay to see you do said performance, then I guess it works too?

I for one can't wait for automation. Imagine fast food and restaurants not fucking up your order or making it look like it was stepped on 3 different ways and instead produces food the way it appears in commercials?

I would love to put some minimum wage shitbags out of work. The only things that should be untouched by automation are certain blue collar jobs that keep food on the tables for good, hardworking Americans.

>mfw I went into policing and won't ever have to worry about robots taking my job

;^)

The jobs that should remain untouched by automation are as follows: trucking, driver jobs, machining or factory work, military and emergency services.

Fuck the fast food worker and their apathetic ways of providing food services. Fuck them all.

until the sex robot goes rogue.

sex has been made obsolete by the internet.

more and more people are masturbating. less people are procreating.

They do cool stuff
That guy recording about came in his pants. I think he actually did finish.
I dripped a little

>eating fast food to begin with
You're the one at fault, fatty.

Look at Horse population before and after the invention of the car. Cunts got forgotten about. Likely automation will replace low skilled and low class jobs. We will see a shift towards higher learning and more emphasis on kids to learn them earlier on.

Look at this.
Fucking solar roofing tiles and a Powerwall 2.

>So?

This destroys US utilities.

>Are we all fucked within the next 10-20 years?
Only if you insist on clinging to capitalism like the good little goy you are.
>What occupations have the most time before they too are susceptible to automation?
Personal therapist.

Most artsy shit will still have a human making it for awhile no matter what the scientists say

Nothing wrong with a cheeseburger after lifting, hombre. Get with the times, /unfit/ fag.

Solar is a meme for now

this is cutting edge. Notice how difficult a time it has handing off a drink?
More repeatable jobs will be replaced, in the short term:
youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng

you are someone who has never worked in an area of production. there is a completely intangible and programmable (at this time, that's why i say decades) skill of the human touch.

the system for setting up a system beyond straight line, vertical or horizontal welds for example is barely even a thing right now.

welding is literally an objective science. there are thousands of pages of documentation of wire speed, temperature, run speed, bevels, alloys yet you rarely see any automation beyond straight line automated welding. why is that?

and then, when these simple processes encounter errors, they're entirely repaired by humans because the fix of an error adds many variable beyond the most basic programmed response by a computer.

i'm not saying it isn't happening but it definitely isn't happening for at least a few decades.

I work in the metal fabrication business and we have automated to a point. About half our work can be taken by robots, but the other half requires the flexibility of human minds.
If they ever developed a robot that filled that gap, no one would buy it because it would obsolete itself within minutes.
Automation only scares low level workers that perform repetitive tasks. It sucks that those jobs are no longer available, but a smart machinist would start pushing into robotics or engineering.
Hell, we have about 5 or 6 robots, and each requires a babysitter.

I disagree. The conditions for automation should be if the robot can do the job more efficiently and effective than human workers.

>Welders aren't going anywhere
so there will be 5000 welders in a country of 350 million. 3 million idiot truckrer jobs are gone instantly. All of these Trump factories? they'll employ 20 people at most. The old US is dead forever.

whoops. quoted myself meant to quote this guy

I agree. I would love to have a robotic chef at my home's kitchen to prepare any meal I'd request, so long as I provide the appropriate ingredients.

Do my laundry and sweep the place up too, yeah?

iRobot please.

Fake and gay news like this site

>Doctors wont be obsolete

BOY HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF THIS LITTLE COMPANY CALLED IBM

Watson has a higher diagnosis rate than 99% of doctors, and the thing about automating dangerous things, they don't need to not kill anyone, they just need to kill less people than humans do now.

I can also tell you right now that every insurance company on the planet is going to push for automated cars, because their owners are going to be good goys who pay their premium and never get in an accident, or get into accidents less than humans.

>Truck drivers will be gone in 3 years

This meme is still going on?

Consider planning. No stochastic models can predict the difficulties and intricacies of city/regional planning. It's not particularly high-paying, but my job is safe from automation since land use modeling and cartography still require discrete decision making.

It's really not. Just not fully utilized or implemented correctly. Fucking countries like Germany with massive solar farms when the government should only support the research into solar and subsidies for houses that have solars on their private property. Federal gov needs to not use land for land hog like solar when nuclear is so much more beneficial.

I do some CNC stuff. I'm loving how inexpensive everything is. Used to sell industrial equipment for a guy. They are like giving away the shit. High dollar motors, drivers, plcs, etc
Many closed down solar plants, and electric car/scooter companies and such
Thanks obama

Also
>ITT: People who have never heard of machine learning

There are bots that can write music, software that can create art, machines that can diagnose better than humans, and once they diagnose, they add that data into a cloud, where other machines can learn from others experiences in a way that no human could ever manage to do.

>so there will be 5000 welders in a country of 350 million. 3 million idiot truckrer jobs are gone instantly. All of these Trump factories? they'll employ 20 people at most. The old US is dead forever.
Do what I did. Adapt and go into the QC/QA field. That, by definition, can't be automated.

>I can also tell you right now that every insurance company on the planet is going to push for automated cars,

Whaa?

Suppose 2 self driving cars get into an accident? Which insurance company pays? Wouldn't one insurance company just blame the car manufacturer?

>No more welders in 2

You are a stupid, stupid man.

Welding in production is one thing, if you are willing to spend $100k on a welding robot, and the fixturing, yeah a robot can weld the shit outa stuff.

Anything other than that will never be automated until we have full on androids as good as people in every way (which won't happen).

A welder has to figure out on the fly how to fabricate, fixture, and run a good bead. It is physically demanding.

Lawyers are going to be replaced decades before welders.

25 years process engineer
I have no idea what you are on about

Of all countries Australia should be building massive solar farms since virtually nobody lives in the sunniest parts, you could coat the place with panels/mirrors and build absolutely massive plants making energy for 12-16 hours a day.

muh latest carving. Just started home cnc. no bully

I would personally say go tech related. If you're worries about jobs in the future, be the guy that works on the tech. Whether it is mechanical or working on the logical components of automation, there will need to be human support of the tech components.

IF, and that's a VERY big IF, that ever happens, they'll most likely charge the manufacturer, the manufacturer will then take the crash data into account and adjust software accordingly.

Holy shit, that's awesome. How do you make them?

Problem is it's currently too expensive to get the energy from the middle of the desert to consumers. I agree in Australia it would be more beneficial but nuclear is still the way to go currently. Hopefully graphene can help us with that solar issue though.

>SMASH CAPITALISM GOY- I MEAN, GUYS!

Essentially any service based jobs will be permanently safe. I would say that things like assembly and machining can be more difficult, hence more costly to automate so those jobs probably have the most time. Also, from what I've seen paint lines and packaging are both pretty labor intensive. The key thing is that there is no incentive to automate if wages are not too expensive for the company. If every company had a choice they would without a doubt prefer just buying a robot to save on indefinite labor cost. The problem is just one of these robots can take years to pay off which makes the prospect of a labor force more enticing.

The easiest answer to this automation question is to identify the fields that actually require a human mind to function. From there, we see all new fields opening.
Yes, old jobs will disappear, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's only bad if we refuse to change alongside a changing world.

Why is it a very big if? Normal cars have problems (regardless of the driver). Now you're taking into account a car that can also have software/sensor problems.

And you're admitting that a car manufacturer might get sued (which doesn't happen now too much because the fault is on the driver, unless if the car has some major defect).

Do you really think Toyota would sell a car where THEY might get sued for an accident?

a little chinese cnc router, and some common software. Just started. I like making maps more, but gunna see if somebody buys the Trump stuff.

Sushi train elevates service. Fuck if robots could make sushi then you'd be cheering.

Fucking cool.
Can you make the ones that look like a photo when you put a light behind it?

> Essentially any service based jobs will be permanently safe.
Nigger what, they'll be the first ones to go, writing is already being automated.

automatedinsights.com/ap
wired.com/2015/10/this-news-writing-bot-is-now-free-for-everyone/

Likely cars will detect problems before they occur and attempt to rectify them. Imagine your car calling the mechanic to do a check up on your car while you're asleep. The mechanic is automated and simply does a routine check throughout your car, certifies it and you never even know. Automation has so much potential.

We will eventually have to limit automation in relationship to the amount of available labor to ensure that gainful employment remains an opportunity.

You make fuck all compared to a skilled trade though, robot techs make a bit more than a mcdonalds worker where I live

thanks
like carved all the way through? probably pretty easy
pic was a reject

A supercomputer takes the power of a small city. Your brain can run all day on the energy within a cheeseburger.

We are screaming toward the end of Moore's law, and the ever improving compute and power efficiency it has brought.

That supercomputer can't solve a problem not already well defined by a programmer, and then the result is just as good as the programmer and the person feeding data into the program.

People are not going anyway for a long, long time.

"Bugs" like you think don't happen. Bugs come from software being shittily coded (code that's shit won't get pushed out) and for general purpose running on multitudes of hardware. Self driving car software is designed for the hardware, for the sensors, everything is the exact same, and the biggest thing is that IF there was a failure (hint, there haven't been any in the several million miles automated cars have driven) it would default to backup sensors/software and stop the car.

>Are we all fucked within the next 10-20 years?
No. More automation means more time for other things.
>What occupations have the most time before they too are susceptible to automation?
Teacher at pretty much any level. Mathematicians, doctors, and lawyers are all almost as difficult to replace, but make a lot more money.

No Fucking way. Another example of the government impeding development and innovation for a minority group. Fuck off. Low skilled labor and service jobs need to die. Schools need to prepare kids for more high skilled jobs, eliminating the stress on unis to teach higher skills.

>Likely cars will detect problems before they occur and attempt to rectify them.

Dumbest thing I've ever read. Most devices need firmware/software updates from the manufacturer. If the manufacturer doesn't get this update out in time, it could get people killed.

Imagine the headline "3 Killed Because of Toyota Firmware Delay".

Also

youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

>inb4 >CGP Grey

It'd be a better idea to just genetically engineer the population so that they could become smarter and more capable and still find gainful employment even in a heavily automated environment in which high-skill industries where they'd need to be smart are the only ones with jobs left. Fuck Basic Income if we could guarantee that everybody would be smart enough to work, at that point we should accelerate our development and make it to space and the ocean and shit with increased engineering and research.

There would be a diagnostic tool like a black box that keeps track of all software controls of the car. They would run the data from the box and determine which car's system failed and go from there.

We're discussing the degree of automation and human impact not that it's going to take over in an instant.

Yeah, 3 people killed in one day is a lot better than the 100 killed daily

You're living a fucking fantasy world. All those "millions of miles" have been on closed courses or extremely controlled conditions. And any code has the potential for human error (and lets be honesty, car manufacturers could also be cheap assholes and hire pajeet to write protocols for pennies on the dollar).

The jobs that Trump promised to bring back will be for STEMfags from elite universities worldover, not for Uncle Jim out in suburban Detroit who bitches about brown people stealing his job twenty years ago and sits on his UAW pension while smoking three packs a day. Anyone with their head not up their ass should've realized this from the get-go.
All this will do is continue to cuck the Middle Class even harder as the most menial jobs will be cut out from the younger generations and they'd be forced into already oversaturated STEMshit fields while trying to compete with Raj and Sangdeep with their shiny diploma from some backwater degree mill and their H1b.
There is no hope, unless you want a Luddite-esque revolt in which we gas capitalists and shills worldover, all this will do is speed up the decline into a globalized, neoliberal, new world order with UBI and Weed for every oppressed otherkin and shitskin on the white mans back.

2009:
youtube.com/watch?v=-KxjVlaLBmk

See
The emphasis on good and robust programming will become more apparent otherwise the car manufacturers and programmers will go out of business.

We aren't at the end of Moore's Law, for Silicon maybe, but that's not the be all end all of processing power. Exotic newer materials like Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene, Topological Insulators, and 3D-matrix semiconductors like Sodium Bismuthate along with currently experimental exotic 3-dimensional processor architecture construction techniques will continue to improve the physical limits of computational power. Additionally, software is becoming as big a thing, if not a bigger one than hardware at this point, with certain special processors now specifically designed to make use of AI and neural net algorithms, and in that regard we're actually beyond Moore's Law, AI-chips are improving their processing capability at a rate of 2.5+ times every 18 months or so.

>That supercomputer can't solve a problem not already well defined by a programmer

Has literally nobody on this board heard of machine learning? Jesus Christ I can hear Sup Forums screeching in an autistic rage from here.

Actually no, Google has their car all over the west coast, and Tesla's autopilot works globally, albeit in it's current state its just a fancy cruise control.

Also, code will write itself, come on, come to the future, it's okay I promise.

Irrelevant.

If a drunk driver hits a kid at a school crossing, it's tragic, but parents can sleep at night knowing that driver is off the road.

But if a self driving car hits a kid at a school crossing because of a firmware problem, every fucking parent will be on edge when they see the car in question because they'll be wondering if it has the same problem (and if it received the updated fix).

It would be a disaster. Chipotle stock plummeted because of a minor ecoli breakout. Imagine if a few Toyota automated cars get into accident and it takes a week to figure out and fix the problem? The news would go fucking ape shit.

can confirm we are not coming to a dead end.
There is so much crazy stuff that is possible but we are just short of the computational power to make it feasible.

t. phd student at big swingin dick uni

I seriously hope plebs are forced to get driverless cars. I'd be a beast on the road not having to worry about old people bumping into me or women not knowing how to turn or park correctly.

Yeah, right now IT is the better option pay wise, but understanding logic controllers and mechanical repair would be the future. IT gets you the money now, mechanical repair is the security in the future and will make solid money as the machines you support become more sophisticated.

Also other people have brought up programming, and that will be big as well. All logic controllers and the software the machines will run on depend on the software/programs on the back end. If you build the program/software, that's a huge piece as well.

Good the company fails and cars that don't have that issue prosper. The beauty of capitalism you kike.

>Google has their car all over the west coast,

For how many miles? And didn't it hit a bus last year? How does it deal in snow, sleet rain? Were they testing it at night?

>Also, code will write itself, come on, come to the future, it's okay I promise.
Uh, it doesn't write itself right now. Not for firmware updates for every device on the planet.