CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. If you feel something is missing, please ask for it to be included while providing a link. As usual, we will be assisting with answering questions.

Today is Sunday of the Fourth week in ordinary time.
Here are your daily readings:
usccb.org/bible/readings/020517.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Documents of Vatican II
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/index.htm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Finding a Mass
pastebin.com/S0W9rLQR
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

CATHOLIC NEWS
>Bishop launches campaign to urge Trump to protect religious freedom
catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2017/bishops-launch-letter-campaign-urging-trump-to-protect-religious-freedom.cfm
>Priests from various countries support the Five Dubia
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/02/01/clarification-is-gravely-needed-international-priests-association-gives-support-to-dubia/
>one of the Dubia Cardinal claims it is suicidal to impose conscience over revelation
lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-caffarra-division-among-pastors-is-the-cause-of-the-letter-we-sent

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-6FfTxwTX34
youtube.com/watch?v=M0d4qM7gCH8
youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8
youtube.com/watch?v=aYqtBmSgm4M
catholic.com/tract/the-institution-of-the-mass
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Catholics aren't Christian

St. Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

Stop worshipping creatures

Protestant shitposters are on the ball today. Wouldn't be a Catholic General without you.

Why are there no priests in the bible?
Why does the bible say all believers are priests

>Deus Vult shit
Crusaders are the new fedorafags

Who from /sg/ here?

I think Catholicism seems pretty based and I've been thinking of converting to it, but some people say it's ungodly because it has no theological basis for the Pope, "idol worship" and Mary worship.

Why is our pope a cuck?

>some people say it's ungodly because it has no theological basis for the Pope, "idol worship" and Mary worship
You can't expect people who believe in Sola Scriptura to be able to think abstractly enough to distinguish between devotion and worship

>"I'm merely devoted to Baal"
The key problem is that Romanism has a false gospel, all else is but a side issue. Justification is the article of faith upon which the church stands or falls.

Because God wants us to setup an antipope

It's fun though. They're considerably more engaging and positive than the other groups associated with the meme.

>no priests

But there are.

>all believers are priests

This is partially a linguistic trick but all believers are priests. The role of priests is to offer sacrifice. We all participate in the re-presentation of Jesus' sacrifice (note that this is a re-presentation, not a redoing of) in the mass. Regardless, the priesthood was organized by the establishment of authority by Christ to the apostles and the offices that they ordained and passed on.
The priesthood is both ministerial and universal.

What is the biblical justification for the papacy? Tradition relies on several texts, but one most especially. In Matthew's gospel, Jesus asked his apostles what sorts of things people were saying about him. They gave him a summary of the current rumors. Then Jesus asked them, collectively, who they thought he was. And Simon answered for the group:

Simon Peter replied, "you are the Christ, the son of the living God." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but for My Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Note first that Simon served as a spokesman for the group, and he uttered a profound doctrine: the dogma of the incarnation (see Jn 6:68-69). Jesus explained to Simon that such truth could not be gained by natural means; Simon had received a special revelation from god. And Simon, with god's help, had spoken infallibly. Jesus then gave Simon a new name, Peter--literally, "Rock"-- a name that appears nowhere in the historical record before that moment. Jesus promised to build a divine edifice upon that rock foundation. He called the edifice "My Church"; for it would be not merely a human institution. It would be, in some sense, incorrupt, too: "the powers of death [or 'gates of hell'] shall not prevail against it." So we see that god himself gave a guarantee to preserve Peter's authority.

1/3

We already have an antipope.

Now, some critics argue that Jesus referred to himself when he spoke of the "rock" on which he would build his church. They point out that the word used for "rock" is the Greek 'petra'--meaning a large rock--whereas the name he gave to Simon was the Greek 'petros', meaning a small rock. The critics say that Jesus meant, essentially, that Peter was a little pebble, and Jesus was the boulder from which the church would rise up.

There are several problems with that interpretation. First of all, Jesus probably did not speak Greek in this exchange. It is very likely that he spoke Aramaic, and his words were later translated into Greek when the gospels were written. In Aramaic there is only one word that could be used for "rock": 'kephas'. In Aramaic, there would have been no distinction between Peter's name and the church's foundation.

Still, critics might press the point, noting that the holy spirit inspired Matthew to employ two different Greek words in his written gospel. But Matthew did not have much choice. Jesus was speaking of a foundation stone, so 'petra' would certainly be the right choice; but 'petra' is a feminine noun, and so it could not have served as Simon's new name. A male could not adopt a feminine name; the name would have to be adapted, be given a masculine form. Thus Matthew, guided by the holy spirit, did something that was obvious and practically necessary: he used the masculine form, 'petros', to render Peter's name, 'Kephas.'

Was Jesus giving Peter a unique role in the church? The answer seems obvious from the remaining pages of the New Testament. Peter is everywhere, shown to be the chief spokesman, preacher, teacher, healer, judge, and administrator in the newborn church.

2/3

Did Peter exhibit any signs of infallibility when he taught doctrine? Critics might point out that, almost immediately after Jesus commissioned him, Peter fell; he contradicted Jesus, telling him he must not suffer. Jesus then reproved Peter in the strongest terms, calling him "Satan"! Critics note too, that much later in Peter's life, he found himself in conflict with Paul over the treatment of gentiles in the church. And Paul publicly corrected Peter! Now, how could a man graced with the charism of infallibility endure public correction by both Jesus and Paul?

We should note right away that both Jesus and Paul were reproving Peter not for his doctrine, but for his failure of will. Indeed, there were faulting him for not living up to his own doctrine. In Matthew's passage, Peter had moved from confessing the lord's divinity to rejecting the lord's will. In the conflict with Paul, Peter had moved from eating with gentiles himself to forbidding other Jewish-Christians to practice such fellowship. Both Jesus and Paul were exhorting Peter merely to practice what he infallibly preached.

Is there biblical justification for our calling Peter the "vicar of Christ"? Doesn't that put Peter in a place occupied by god alone? No, because Jesus himself had said to the apostles: "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me" (Lk 10:16). Jesus is clearly assigning the twelve as his vicars. He is telling them that he will act vicariously through them. And what Jesus said of all apostles is pre-eminently true of the prince of apostles.

3/3

my mother was a bipolar atheist so we never went to church

how do you even go to church? just show up one day? getting started as an outsider sounds so awkward

Anti-antipope then

>But there are
Prove it (NT only)
>The role of priests is to offer sacrifice
There is one once-for-all sacrifice, never repeated.
>We all participate in the re-presentation of Jesus' sacrifice (note that this is a re-presentation, not a redoing of) in the mass
Has anyone ever participated in the mass in honest and true faith and yet tasted the flames of hell?

youtube.com/watch?v=-6FfTxwTX34

John 14:6King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

1 John 2:22-23King James Version (KJV)

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

You can just go, at least, speaking for how things are in my country. After the mass there will probably be the option to have some tea or coffee, and people will probably chat with you. If you want to convert, just talk to your priest. Don't be scared tho, most people in church are welcoming.

I don't understand.. it doesn't answer my concerns. I watched a lot of "Bible believers" on YouTube and they honestly seem to be more in line with the Bible as such rather than side-things like Catholicism seems very concerned about.

The theological basis for the Pope is Matthew 16:17-16:19, in which Jesus names the first pope himself.

>Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Unofficial Thread Theme:

youtube.com/watch?v=M0d4qM7gCH8

>If God existed and he were good, then he would stop cancer and famine instead of sitting on the sidelines and watching
What is the counter argument to this?

What church do you go to, fellow Dutchman?

youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8

Good and bad is subjective. What is good for you, isn't good for me. God works not for what is right for one of his children, but just for all. A world without pain wouldn't be a life at all.

Our notion of "good person" can not be applied to transcendental concepts or actually everything else than humans.

>(note that this is a re-presentation, not a redoing of)
But the Catholic church believes in transubstantiation. It isn't just symbolic; the blessings convert it from bread and wine to the body and blood of Christ.

My friend's response would be something along the lines of
>being so cucked that you celebrate having your body riddled with cancer

so what happens if Ratzinger outlives bergoglio?

Yes, and that doctrine is integral to the blasphemy of the mass.
If there is no victim then there is no immolation

What's that supposed to show? The councils don't convene to clarify issues until they become disputed.

2 Timothy 3:5 King James Version (KJV)

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

youtube.com/watch?v=aYqtBmSgm4M

I went to mass today. Not bad. My pastor is definitely more towards being conservative Italian, but the associate pastor is the liberal that says the cliches like build bridges not walls. Ugh, being a Catholic does not mean open borders and letting 3rd-world immigration pour in. Whatever.

Good luck President Assad

If an eco system doesn't have diseases, the population will rise to high and all other animals will suffer to. Tell your friend that his egoistical world view isn't the same as other people their world views. Just as God doesn't think of good and bad in individual cases.

You can just go to church, but there is a process involved with the sacraments. If you speak with a representative of the church, they can help you get things in order. Do not, for example, take Holy Communion before making those arrangements.

That's very misleadingly simplified. He must also be speaking "ex cathedra", literally "from the chair" which is a long formalised process used only very rarely. IIRC the most recent usage is still 1950, when Pius XII declared the Assumption of Mary was bodily i.e. her physical body ascended.

Anyway it doesn't matter, Friar Cuck spouts heresy on a daily basis and is clearly an anti-pope that nobody should be paying attention to.

1 Timothy 4King James Version (KJV)

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

this pope is making it tough to be catholic

Who said this? I recall Chesterton saying something similar

People say all manner of stuff. I recommend you look at their arguments. Let me give a quick Catholic primer.

>no theological basis for the pope

No "biblical basis" is what they say, rather. Early Christianity, and all Christianity until the 16th century, revolved around apostolic succession as their main claim to authority. Basically that the authority Jesus gave to the apostles was passed on with their offices to successors. This IS found in the Bible, as Judas' successor is spoken about in the book of Acts. The papacy is, however, the office of the apostle Peter. All of the denominations involved with apostolic succession (Catholic, Orthodox, Oriental - basically everyone but Protestants) held that the office of St. Peter was in a role above all the other offices. Problem is, Catholics believed that this role has a mechanical role in the church over the other offices and Orthodox believed that this was just a position of honor. And so the basis of the pope should be the basis for apostolic succession and also the basis for papal supremacy.

It not being biblical is hardly an issue though. Protestants make this to be an issue when it isn't. The Bible is another tradition established authoritatively BY that apostolic authority to begin with. Apostolic succession has its start in the bible and its history heavily recorded in history. Papal supremacy can be easily defended by noting the unique authority given to Peter by Jesus - what is called the "keys to heaven" and how that can't be interpreted as anything only honorable.

>idol worship

People believe that when we "pray to saints" we worship them. In fact, we only ask saints to pray for us and respect them greatly as they are in heaven. We call it prayer as we only can communicate to them by their union with God.

Some also think that we pray to the statue itself when praying as a statue. It's stupid.

>Mary worship

Same thing. Mary is a saint. The most important saint, but a saint nonetheless.

>People believe that when we "pray to saints" we worship them
Prayer is an intimate act of worship

These are people with no understanding of doctrine. They likely do not even understand the meaning of "turn the other cheek". Catholics are not meant to be doormats!

Need a new bible. What is the best version?

King James :^)

Top post.

This is inaccurate. There was no singular bishop of Rome until about 140, it was ruled by a plurality of presbyter-bishops before that.

Has anyone ever approached the sacrifice of the mass and gone to hell?

I should credit Scott Hahn since he's the one that wrote it.

> Purgatory: a gnostic heresy evolved from theology put forth by Simon Magus later adopted into catholicism

Martin Luther was right. If it wasn't for the protestant reformation, we would be a Christian version of the middle east.
Catholics are corrupt and have abandoned the word of God in favor for a world view that benefits the Pope.
All Catholics are niggers.

Ahhhh novus ordite neocatholic readings.

>associate pastor is the liberal that says the cliches like build bridges not walls. Ugh, being a Catholic does not mean open borders and letting 3rd-world immigration pour in. Whatever.

This is why haven't gone to church in 3 weeks. I could contain my anger that the priest would virtue signal over the Muslim ban but IGNORE OUR FUCKING BROTHERS IN THE HOLY LAND BEING FINALLY KILLED OFF FOR GOOD

REEEEEEEEE

As if Luther didn't have any political motives for what he did

1 Peter 5:8

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour

I just got back from Mass. This thread gets a bump.

Any art recommondations?

Luther revived several heresies.
The Gnostic heresy of the invisible church.
The Arian heresy of sola scriptura. (Arius claimed Christ wasn't God because it wasn't explicitly spelled out in scripture)

What kind of Islam tier thinking is this?

It reminds me how Islam is so fucking anti art because they fear their people were too retarded to understand Muhammad wasn't a messanger

How is there any difference between you and the average Islamic iconoclast?

What would Jesus do, brother?
>Take up the whip.

Jesus would fucking defend his flock

Luther wanted power in Germany.

>oh man, I'm so happy we schismed our religion and learned to be tolerant and accept Islam

Just fucking convert to Islam already

Yep. The princes came to his aid because they saw an opportunity to steal church property and wealth.

Catholicism and all organized religion is slavery.

>jews are "chosen people"
>be a cuck who gives money to the church
>turn the other cheek like a little bitch
>ask master God to save you externalizing salvation
>mutilation of original Jesus message

Anybody who is a catholic or any form of modern mainstream Christianity is a retard and a slave to jewish false ideas.

If I pray to Baal does that mean i'm worshipping Baal?
>The Gnostic heresy of the invisible church
Pure autism
>The Arian heresy of sola scriptura
The Arians asserted their majority of bishops was proof they were right, Athanasius contended scripture was sufficient and taught Christ was God. (Against the Heathen 1:3)

A question for you my fellow believer.

Why is the vatican speaking hall shaped like a snake? Why isn't the "Nuclear Jesus" behind the pope in his speaking hall, complete blasphemy?

Why was Gods 7th day of rest, Saturday, kept? Why are we allowing mans laws/the vatican to dictate and decree that the day of rest should now be Sunday?

May God bless you and thank you for this thread my friend, it was a breath of fresh air.

Colossians 2:8King James Version (KJV)

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

>Catholics didn't exist in 50 AD
>Dinosaurs existed in 4000 BC
P R O T E S T A N T I S M

Fuck off atheist, just look at what happens to any country without Religion.

Degeneracy.

Athanasius did not appeal solely to Scripture. He also appealed to the traditions handed down from the Apostles.

The canon hadn't been set in stone, yet.

Council of Rome, 382AD, Synod of Hippo, 391AD, Council of Carthage 419AD.

Exactly. I was referencing Jesus taking the whip to the money-changers in the temple. They were preventing people from worshiping by their presence there. This associate pastor is going against God by abandoning the flock to earn political favor from leftists. Drive him from the House of God.

>Prove it (NT only)

Jesus provides the role of priest, prophet, and king. So that's an obvious one.
Further, they were ordained by the laying on of hands (1 Tm 4:14, 5:22), they preached and taught the flock (1 Tm 5:17), and they administered sacraments (Jas 5:13-15).

>There is one once-for-all sacrifice, never repeated.

Obviously, and I just told you that it was never repeated. It is re-presented. That is what the Liturgy of the Eucharist is in the mass.

>Has anyone ever participated in the mass in honest and true faith and yet tasted the flames of hell?

I cannot, myself, say of the destination of anyone after death, user.

I'm so sorry, user.
You can just walk into the church. You will get confused at first as the church has a specific structure to worship that people are to adhere to. The app Laudate in the OP mentions the whole script of the mass if you want to run through that. Regardless, people will not mind if you fail throughout it all even. It is a place to be welcomed.

That's a form of the epicurean dilemma.

God is omnipotent and good. The issue comes from the claim that he is malevolent if He does not stop such things. If evil can be used to form a more meaningful good/more good/whatever or come by logical necessity of some good then you cannot make the claim that God is malevolent letting evil occur. However, evil does not "exist", it is simply a privation of the good.

catholic.com/tract/the-institution-of-the-mass

I got you, user.

There is a new pope and Ratzinger gets to watch.
He left due to his health. No chance he'll be coming back.

The Schism, caused by western idolatry

On the back of animals

Convince me why Catholicism is better than remaining nondenominational without saying being part of a community.

OP, one other question.

I fear that the bible may have been corrupted many years ago.

Do you ever think the same?

>left due to his health
Riiight. Any Catholic that believes that is a dupe.
The IMF cut off all Vatican financial transactions prior to his resignation, then on Feb 12th, the day after his resignation, resumed them.

It was a modernist coup.

>racist
>templar

choose one

t.true templar blood

Without religion a country turns to shit. Just look at feminism, just look at liberals. No modesty, no respect.

> The kuran claims that Jesus is not the Son of God, therefor denying The Word

I meant 393 for Synod of Hippo.

>being an unironic Iconoclast

>destroying priceless art because of a religious belief carried over from Islam

Very nice source. Thanks for that.

Do not be held away from what is right and just because of worldly leadership.

If you want to parse prayer as "worship" or "communication" then your issue just becomes semantic. That doesn't change that all thats done to those in Heaven is that they are asking to be prayed for.

NABRE.
Preferably the Ignatius Study Bible.

I'll make sure to save it for later.
I appreciate your honest and still thank you for sharing it.

Glad to have you, user.

Well... it's not specifically Christian but I'm currently enjoying the art of Jakub Rozalski.

>if it wasn't for the Protestant Reformation we would be a Christian Middle East
>The reformation destroyed Christendom

user, that's fucking terrible to say. Look at your own damn flock and its effects on America and Europe first.

>Athanasius did not appeal solely to Scripture. He also appealed to the traditions handed down from the Apostles.
That's true, if you had read what I cited you would know he said scripture was sufficient.
>Council of Rome, 382AD, Synod of Hippo, 391AD, Council of Carthage 419AD.
These were never binding outside of their areas. The first time there was a council which defined canon and was binding on the whole church was in April of 1546 at Trent.
>Jesus provides the role of priest, prophet, and king. So that's an obvious one.
You wanna make Jesus normative?
>Further, they were ordained by the laying on of hands (1 Tm 4:14, 5:22), they preached and taught the flock (1 Tm 5:17), and they administered sacraments (Jas 5:13-15).
That doesn't make them priests.
>Obviously, and I just told you that it was never repeated. It is re-presented
Why would it be wrong to say "This is the same sacrifice, I am doing it again."?
>I cannot, myself, say of the destination of anyone after death, user.
I did not ask you to judge men's hearts, I asked you if anyone has ever partaken of the mass and yet been damned. I await your answer.

Why is the Catholic Church (and Catholic-light Orthodox) the only Christian Church on earth that has saints who were so holy on earth that their bodies refused to corrupt in death?