DIY CRISPR

Provided you knew how, what would you do with this Sup Forums?

I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to start manufacturing horrifying new pathogens.

>tfw spider crawls into your science kit and bites you

there was already a dutch lab that published a paper showing you how to create biological weapons

Well alter my own genes to make me even more superior, too bad those alterations wont pass unto my progeny.

you could always alter your germ line so they would. That would be a lot easier than trying to alter a sufficient number of your somatic cells to make a significant difference

you niggas sayin this shit will give you superpowers?!!?!?!?

It's the other way around. Gene editing is going to be drastically easier to do on reproductive cells than on fully developed humans.

i would make little egg men

I mean, if you knew what you were doing you could probably make your muscles strong or more efficient. But most likely you'll just get cancer

It'd be infinetely easier to remove specific shit from yourself than alter your sperm production.

dope.

>DIY
>CRISPR
File bankruptcy after the seventh kit I order fails because of a new unforeseen reason

t. grad student

Are you a little walrus?

Yes, but not on a scale that could make a positive difference. Somatic cells are easier to transform but theres so many of them that you need to do a huge amount

Far from that. Most likely useful AND safe application is to remove filthy shit genes that cause horrible diseases.

Yeah, there is too much unknown variables yet. Maybe not outright cancer, but some horrific malfunction.

Be easier to clone a younger version of your body from edited DNA and then transfer your consciousness into your new younger body.

Kidding aside, I think CRISPR would need to be matched with nanomachines and these nanomachines may need to be injected into you probably once a month up to a year and while inside your body, the nanomachines will slowly edit your DNA in real time.

je suis charlie

reformed bioe here, what is your phd in?

Yes but I don't give a flying fuck about superhuman progeny if I can't be one too.

What anyone else would do with it; increase my intelligence, strength, endurance, and life span.

lofl, truth

Getting my gene-gun right now; what sort of waifu do you want, senpai?

bioinformatics, i'm still in my first year though

FURRIES

>Provided you knew how, what would you do with this Sup Forums?
One of my hobbies is culturing and cultivating edible mushrooms. I have a great strain of Yellow oyster and portabello. All you really need in addition to this is a still air box or a flow hood if you got some extra money.

What someone else would do with that, I don't know.....

Look up the books by "Timothy Tobiason"
He explains ways to grow mold and other dangerous things just from bread and other things

Immortality and blue eyes.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I would rather be enhanced than taken over by engineered superhumans, but it's just plain easier to do the latter.

legit, i switched to CS, i was heading in the bioinformatics direction before i got out. that cross-discipline of fields looks fun as hell desu.

People speculate on the future of warfare these days.

Will it be superhuman soldiers that face each other on the battlefield or did we give up on the fleshy part of war and just have pure machinery going at it on each other?

we FOXDIE now

The cross-discipline part bugs me a bit because of how most schools handle administration of it, which is basically "Eh, whichever department (CS, stats, bio) wants you", without much coordination between them.
I gotta admit it's a damn good feeling being able to grab another bioinformatics student and have their skillset complement your weaknesses.

Most likely both.

yup, and you have 3 different fields to work in too. oh this project/topic interests you? you can hopefully just hop on that or go work with that professor.

Can I genetically modify myself to become a catgirl?

yes.

Cross fields are based.
I was going for biomechatronics because we wuz cyborgs n shiet but I dropped out because I'm like insanely depressed. I'm not really like stimulated enough to force myself to get out of bed. Even when I was going full wageslave I felt incentive and reward in some degenerate stuff but any ounce of passion is out the window.

Hope someone I know falls for the magnetic implant meme so I can live vicariously through them.
A passion would be nice too

I wrote a paper on this.
They take DNA from mother and father and then run scenarios on all possible children.
It's done for people who have breast cancer in their families or congenital defects that they have a high probability to pass on.
They then mix up some hot, sexy, doggy style test tube sex and find the embryo that won't turn out a potato.
Implant into mothers womb.
It's honestly the safest, most effective way to have children, and in the future, it will eliminate sexual intercourse as a means of repeoduction.
Sex for babies will become the pleb/inferior way to reproduce.

Hey can anyone in a biology related subject answer a question for me? Could an intracellular bacteria be used to manufacture or break down a protein inside of a cell?

P.S. Crispr is for making humans, not modifying yourself into deadpool you raging autists.

Does it have to be implanted in a real womb?

Wouldn't an artificial womb be better at that point in science and technology?

I heard some women have problem giving birth because their hips are too narrow.

just get on some antidepressents and go back for mechE. that way you can still get a job to pay for stuff and have money to build cool toys with shit.

can I CRISPR my raging autism?

Bog babies.

I'll modify your mother with my dick.

Biotechy here

All CRISPR is good for is inactivating genes. It also physically cannot have high efficiency in vivo so you can't use it to genetically alter an adult animal to any significant degree. Could potentially have utility for restoring the function of liver or pancreatic enzymes in people with loss of function genetic disorders, but that's about it. Even then there's a good chance of getting cancer from it.

The REAL boon of CRISPR is creating models for human disease to do medical research with, so we can more easily understand the molecular biology of the disease and produce actual drugs to fix it.

you spelled benis wrong

WE STAR TRAK NOW

Human muscles are already as efficient as they can be. You could use CRISPR to tinker with genes which limit growth or proliferation, but that's a great way to get some horrible synthetic muscle cancer and die.

So I can't become a catgirl? This sucks.

>doesn't know you can just tweak the growth differentiation factor 8 on the MSTN gene to deactivate myostatin production and cause double-muscling

what a newfag

LAME!

I would invent the intravenous gaschamber

kek

No, nor could you use CRISPR to engineer one from embryo, as it does not allow for the addition of large DNA sequences.

The best way to go about making a cat girl would be the construction of a chimera from normal cat and human embryonic stem cells, similar to those pigs they're trying to grow with human organs to harvest for transplant.

To turn YOURSELF into a catgirl, well a sufficient amount of plastic surgery could produce a decent facsimile, but the tail would be tricky. We've got prosthetics now that read neural impulses but you never had tail nerves to read.

I've got what they call "treatment resistant major depression" or some shit. Like I can take adderall in tandem with antidepressants, the latter I've been on for about 6 years now, then chug a pot and a half of coffee and fall asleep within the hour. They're surprised it's not narcolepsy but don't think it's turning into Klein-Levin syndrome. Gettin scanned for tumors and reading my brainwaves and shit while I still have disgustingly good health insurance because I desperately want to just be able to work. Especially now during real maga years, but I'm missing something

People go on about CRISPR when it's actually a lame research tool, but the REAL recent scifi bullshit is IPSCs. Won't be but a few decades before we're cloning whole organs that genetically match their target for complete immune compatibility.

DMT

Ask about DBS.

in japan there is a company that can make all organs except thymus

That's one of a couple options after I get this qEEG later this week

BWAHAHAHAHA

FUTA.. SHALL..
BECOME A RELITY

>CRISPR is soooooooo easy guys!
Try getting an organism to actually use those genes.