Steve Bannon reads Moldbug

Holy shit, Steve Bannon reads Nassim Taleb and Mencius Moldbug.

How can any of you seriously doubt he's /ourguy/?

Other urls found in this thread:

politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/steve-bannon-books-reading-list-214745
zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-16/nassim-taleb-exposes-worlds-intellectual-yet-idiot-class
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Yarvin
moldbuggery.blogspot.com/
thedarkenlightenment.com/the-dark-enlightenment-by-nick-land/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/steve-bannon-books-reading-list-214745

Ordered Antifragile last night. What am I in for?

a very dense read.

Good book. Taleb can be a bit of a blowhard but he's right about a lot. I'm looking forward to picking up his new book when it drops.

You're in for one of the best books of the decade.

There are so many things that we never thought we needed to justify, things that go assumed or unsaid, but which are believed for entirely rational reasons. Often, when we get called out on these things, we don't have much of a defense for them because we've simply never had to consider it. Taleb provides the heuristics and arguments which justify them.

Furthermore, it provides the worldview and framework which is antithetical to all the educated idiots out there (you know the type, they're just smart enough to fool themselves into believing things that the common man knows to be foolish).

It's been a while since I've read them but my recollection is that Fooled by Randomness is still worth reading after Antifragile but that Black Swan is not. They all overlap somewhat.

Intellectual Yet Idiot, an essay by Taleb

zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-16/nassim-taleb-exposes-worlds-intellectual-yet-idiot-class

I wouldn't say the book's dense at all. I found it quite accessible.

are you a stem major?

Neat, I'm kind of excited.

Read that the other day, it's good

Fuck, he looks like Gene Hunt. From life on mars.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Yarvin
>Jewish

Also, not enough focus on Moldbug, which is the truly /ourguy/ part:

moldbuggery.blogspot.com/

Start with Open Letter (it's long. LONG.)

A more introductory essay to Moldbug's sort of thought is this essay by Nick Land:

thedarkenlightenment.com/the-dark-enlightenment-by-nick-land/

Grad student in philosophy. Don't worry about grasping the technicalities of the economics, it's the principles behind it that matter. You don't need to understand the equations to understand quantum mechanics. The formalism isn't debatable, it's the interpretations that are.

thanks. I'm a lit fag, but I'll give it another shot.

Yeah yeah. Read his stuff. His parents were your typical 60s Jewish extreme far left liberals/commies, and Moldbug never tires of bringing that up as a paradigm case of the progressivism he so despises.

>All Jews are bad!

This is why stormfags will never gain any intellectual ground, they only have blanket statements and logically bankrupt thoughts to fall upon.

can someone shed some light on those 80-100 cicles for me?

because this sounds a lot like my personal idea of how the world works

The four turnings? Just look it up on Wikipedia.

>fierce Zionist

>bannon reads moldbug
>as evidenced by the fact that breitbart condemned Yarvin's disinvitation from that tech conference
Fake news

I can buy that Taleb thing though.

Good goy

>mfw ten years ago people told me (I was underage then) that I was an edgy virgin autist for liking Moldbug
>mfw we president now

Let me try a brief summary. (1/2)

Within a person's life there are roughly four phases of life: childhood, young adulthood, midlife, and elderhood. These aren't arbitrary distinctions, and these aren't merely conventional. These four divisions are almost (maybe entirely?) universally recognized, and they rest upon pretty fundamental changes in a person's life. That said, they aren't the same for every individual, and even differ between generations. Childhood, for example, generally ends when you leave the home, start a family of your own, get started on your career, etc. For the Silent generation after WWII, they got started on that EARLY. Average marriage age was 21. For the Millenial generation, we're averaging a bit later than that. Young adulthood then proceeds until about your mid 40s, at which point your kids are generally starting to move out, you have a bit more freedom again, you're moving up the ladder with your career, and you're beginning to get into power positions. Elderhood begins at retirement, at which point you either become a dependent on society or one of the few powerful of the elderly (revered for wisdom, etc.).

Now, how do we tie this into generations? Well, every so often there are Great Events which leave a lasting imprint upon people based upon the phase of life they were in at the time. For example, look at WWII. The people of fighting age (Young Adulthood) were drafted, or saw their brothers drafted, sisters enter the workforce, etc. That's going to characterize and create a sort of generational identity for all of the people in that age bracket. That's why that generation (The G.I. or Greatest Gen.) was so trusting of big government. Government won the war for them. On the other hand, the gen. that was still too young for the war, the Silent Generation, saw all the destruction, the soldiers who didn't come back, etc. and just wanted to live peaceful, family lives, hence the halcyon 1950s.

Continued

Part 2/2

So, since each phase of life lasts roughly 20 years, and these Great Events imprint themselves differently upon each phase of life generation, we get different generations roughly 20 years apart. This is also why the 70s are more similar to the 60s than the 80s. There's this writer who once said, for the people her age, the 70s were their 60s. You can kind of imagine what that means, but you could never imagine the 50s or the 80s being anyone's 60s.

So we have these sort of 80-100 year cycles, where you go through four different generations. They follow a sort of pattern, where each one reacts against the ones before them in a sort of predictable way.

Long story short, this is why certain cultural events happen in regular periods. We're just now reaching what would be a "Crisis" period". I.e. we're living through the 1930s right now. WWII (or something) is just around the corner.

Read The Fourth Turning by Strauss and Howe for the full picture.

interesting. thanks.

my Generation (Z) is conservative because of the monetary crisis in 2007-2009 and stuff like the euro crisis and euro crisis then, right?