Why were the 90s and 00s so edgy?

What happened? Economically the world was pretty good except maybe for the Asian Financial Crisis and later the 2008 one but other than that what gives? Is this what happens when people get too comfortable?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sJrCjATOxZ8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reddit happened

They realized how awesome pop and punk music is

Compared to the goths/new romantics and metal heads of the 80s? Or the punks of the 70s? Or the freaks, hippies, and skinheads of the 60s? Or the rockers and greasers of the 50s?

Are you really this fucking retarded OP?

Methinks OP did not live in the 80s or there before.

Though I do agree that it felt right back then but didn't in the 00-10s

People used to go out and do things.
This creates sub-cultures.

Nowadays teenagers only play with their phone.
They don't live in the real world, only on social media where everybody acts the same.

It's actually not that bad. The people who can't live in the real world will get left behind, as always.

people born in the 90s were raised by baby boomers a.k.a humanists, atheists and liberal christians.

people in the 90s unironically wore leather trench coats, op.

Green Day is fucking shit.

Who?

prior to 9/11, counter culture was the bomb diggidy smiggidy jiggidy
now we're well groomed, conservative republicans, the very opposite of how we started. Just like SLC Punk...
however, still all about industrial, death metal, mosh pits, over drinking and all that other shit this faggot new gen is terrified shitless of

no ones terrified of death metal fatboy

Lack of identity. I had a christian identity and never once in my teens did i feel a need to color my hair or dress like a satanist, i was just comfortable in my own skin.

People like the idea that their lives are difficult when they aren't, until they really do become difficult and they have to drop the act.

Yeah there seems to be less subcultures now. I guess memeing is a kind of subculture tho.

hipsters took over and the victim Olympics began

>Black jeans
>cool belt
>black tshirts
>boots or skate shoes

Shit. I still dress like this. It's a comfy versatile style that's almost...sinful. Can't miss look for the summer '17

youtube.com/watch?v=sJrCjATOxZ8

the 90s are over :(

In all seriousness Reddit IS what kids in middle school/high school do as subculture.

And Sup Forums unfortunately.

>OP invests 20 seconds into creating this slide thread
>completely abandons the thread, never replies again
>(hint: that is the moment where your mind should have bridged the gap between "suspected slide thread" and "guaranteed slide thread")
>an hour passes
>people are still bumping the thread
stop performing free labor for the shills.

Hipsters didnt exist in the 90's, faggot. They are purely a 201x thing.

The late 2010s are ten times edgier than the 90s or 00s ever were. nu-Sup Forums is the edgiest board that has ever existed.

There were no skinheads in the 60's in the US, that was a UK thing.

>implying the subcultures of pre-internet mainstreamism weren't a social experiment that went perfectly well
>tfw those results don't completely carry over to modern social climate

People living in complete comfort find reasons to whine or rebel. Kind of like millennials today, except they have social media to amplify their retardation.

that dude looks like he has seen a few up close

Shoulda been listening to Black Metal faggot.

Grunge and the slow death of rock being mainstream, replaced with rap. Disenfranchised white youth moving to the one, earlier established subculture they only knew of. 2001 made the US paranoid in general, community breakdown occurred, more filth on TV/movies started, etc etc.

I miss liberal subcultures. Sure they were degenerate but they were fun to be a part of, I liked them, but by the time I got into college they were over. Now liberal subcultures are all just different versions of the same SJW bullshit.

That's part of what attracts me to the "alt right" desu, it's the only non-SJW edgy subculture.

Do emos/etc even exist anymore or is it all just waves of purple hair SJWs?

What happened? The music industry followed a trend and oversold it, and dumb white US suburbans bought into it completely.

Besides, the 90's and 00's haven't been 'edgy" at all, it's more flaccid. Limp. LARPing "edgy". The subcultures they appropriated from were "edgy".

And yes, it's because people got too fat and happy on borrowed money. We all saw where that led. That's what led to pale, puffy, fat suburbanites thinking hairstyles were 'edgy".

I had completely forgotten about Soap shoes holy fuck.

I've got 2 pairs from Ebay that just fit me, I wish they were made again

Why'd they disappear? Did the company get sued from stupid kids wearing them and cracking their skulls open on stairs or what?

>used to be an emo kid, and dryhumped with my gothic gf on town market square at night
>became a dick because I still wasn't over my ex gf and she dumped me
>tfw 4 years later, browse a khmeri fishcatching depictions forum 15 hours a day and become redpilled on kikes and hitler

I wish this was a story I made up to harvest (you)'s, but sometimes I don't even know what I am anymore

the company went bankrupt, then Heelys bought the rights to them but haven't done anything with the brand

I can relate to this user. The whole dressing like a scene kid, losing a gf because you weren't over a previous one. I know these feels.

>Is this what happens when people get too comfortable?

Yeah. It's why we're currently seeing pampered millennials "fighting" against "nazis."

>Listens to metal
>Calls anyone else a faggot
Just as bad as listening to nigger music

If it's mainstream, it's not a culture anymore, it's a product. I've watched it happen to every genre that went mainstream - hard rock, metal, trash, punk, industrial, all of it. Once it's mainstream, it's fucking OVER. Death metal was good when it was underground, and parent's were fucking terrified of it - now they know if Johnny and Sally go to a metal festival, they'll be perfectly safe in the crowd, watching cartoon bands like Ghost. No fear at all.

Thrash and metal were fun when nobody knew what it was, and the club owner threatening to stop the show and throw everyone out for crowdsurfing or stage diving or make a pit. The early days of Metallica, Exodus, in the Bay Area were fucking FUN. Now Metallica is a Disney animatronic show on a huge stage with no fucking guts or soul to the show. Industrial was fucking AWESOME, seeing Skinny Puppy in the clubs when people would come in, go "what the FUCK", and leave. Then NiN and Manson came along and turned it all into a stage show at Knott's Berry Farm. Grunge was fun, when we'd go up to Seattle for drug connections there, going from the GnR/Motley/Warrant scene in LA, to the early days of Mother Love Bone and "grunge" - it was just rock music, but their way - none of the bullshit of Hollywood, and more of their plaid shirt/junky lifestyles. Then Pearl Jam came along and made it into the soundtrack for shitty movies.

Now? Fuck if I know. I've been looking, but there's no sign of an underground anywhere, in LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, London, or anywhere else. Its all cover bands and bands that should have retired 20 years ago. Maybe that's good, that the new underground is well hidden...or it just doesn't exist, because apathy is what runs everything now. "Start a band? Eh. I'd rather play video games and watch TV shows about people starting bands. I'm comfy right here, getting fat and becoming part of the couch. " - kids these days

we will all make it one day

god those dudes are so hilariously creepy kek

26 year old here who's been a metalhead since late middle school. Subcultures aren't completely dead.

edgy was like the rape shield back then
and being fat but this practice was later forgotten

I actually have a soft spot for goth culture that will never be fulfilled.

It's pretty sad because I had no friends to do goth stuff with.
Now it's too late I guess.

The internet. People became self aware.

im sorry kids

>Economically the world was pretty good

Except for that massive recession.

Metal isn't a subculture, dummy, it's been mainstream since the 90's when metallica started winning grammys.

You weren't even alive when the good shit was going down.

metalheads definitely aren't a mainstream subculture anymore m8.

Yes they are, dummy. You don't understand what "mainstream" and 'subculture" mean, right? Because that's the only reason why someone would post something as stupid and naive as what you did.

You implied metal isn't a subculture because it's mainstream, dumb dumb. It isn't something that is overwhelmingly part of society, and is therefore a subculture, particularly now when it isn't as widespread as it was.

It's less widespread?

Nah. Too easy. You're a fucking retarded cunt, I'm not going to argue with a chimp.

Yeah, nice argument, retard. Go crawl back under your rock.

theyre gone :(

WHO STILL /EDGY/ HERE ??????????????!?!?!
SMASHH DAT LYKE BUTTON!!!!!!!!!

Looks goofy as hell, but at the same time it looks cleaner than whatever we're seeing now with bad dye-jobs, undercuts, and scraggly facial hair. I guess the shift from high-maintenance styles to low-maintenance mishmash was to be expected as lowlifes can't be expected to put a disciplined effort into anything.

This is beyond cringe.

This, sadly

the turn of the millennium years ruled you underage faggot

Underrated toast